Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Being a Brony Changed Your Life? How?

jacibobsthebrony

203 users have voted

1. 1. Has becoming a Brony changed your life?

• Yes
    • No

No. In fact, I generally wonder how  people's lives change show much just because they started watching My Little Pony. In fact I'm currently suffering from a severe depression that ponies have done nothing to fix.

MLP hasn't just changed my feelings, but it's changed my sexuality as well.

Don't ask how it happened, but I've been a lot happier and more feminine from the fanbase and all the things I do in between. It's enjoyable really, though there is a few downsides.

As Fluttershy would put it, she doesn't mind :3

And actually reading some comments about this, it does have a tendency to tweak your femininity depending on your personality, which has happened to me as well. More or less I like to act like a girl, since it feels more.. Comfortable~

Edited by Baby Sirius

I've already mentioned many times how much more positive I am in life since becoming part of the Fandom.

Now I've noticed also that I don't like gore/violent things that much, like things that glorify it. Call of Duty doesn't really glorify violence because it's an arcade shooter but things like gore-films and ultra pointless violent video games I lost interest in. Sure sometimes I'll watch a violent movie, but I tend to enjoy clean humor and I appreciate simple stories about a hero going on a noble quest ending in success. 

Of-course I still like ultra complex stories of betrayal, I just can enjoy both sides of the spectrum now.

In a way, yes. I noticed that ever since I started watching FiM, I just don't enjoy modern day 'horror' films anymore, that being the ones that are mainly just gorefests and meant for shock value and making people cringe. An example is the new Evil Dead movie. I just couldn't enjoy it at all. Not only because it was just (in my opinion) a terrible movie, but the dark, depressing, and gory nature just doesn't appeal to me anymore. FiM is what caused that I think but I don't see that as a bad thing.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. Even though it was a slow change at first. I used to be a very depressed individual and always mad at things. But now I find myself cheery and happy all the time. MLP has inspired me to learn things I have never thought of learning before. I find myself to be more caring about the people I interact with in real life and on the internet.

• Brohoof 2

In a way, yes and no. I have found that MLP is one of the very few shows that I can watch over and over again without getting bored of it, and it usually does make me smile and laugh. I know that whenever I am feeling down, depressed, anxious or stressed out, I can watch either MLP or EqG and I will normally start to feel better shortly after.

Now, this bit may be a bit off topic but in regards to stuff like horror movies, I used to watch horror movies when I was younger, and they never really phased me, but one day when I was 18 (7 years ago) I started watching Jason X, I got half way through it, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I saw how disgusting all that gore and pointless violence was, and just how stupid it was too. Now, I never watch anything with pointless violence or gore in it. So that rules out most horror films. Not to mention that these days most if not all horror films have the same theme. which is revenge.

I do, how-ever like the psychological thrillers, as those ones make me think and the suspense sometimes does shock/scare me, where-as pointless violence and gore.. nope...

It has made me slightly less depressed and a bit more optimistic, but as far as my views on blood and gore go they are unchanged. I don't mind blood and gore but am for the most part bored with gore for the sake of gore, unless it is so ridiculously over the top that it is comical like the Lobo comic series or Cupcakes for example. Though I will admit that I do get the occasional craving for gore for some reason, I went on a bit of a gorefic binge a few months ago.

With the main focus of the show being tolerance it's kind of make me re-evaluate my outlook on things I don't like, things I hate even.

Well, i want to share something with you ponys...

i always loved creepypastas, horror and gore stories, the spicy thing you can see on the internet to scare yourself, the other day i begin to write my first fanfic of gore... but later, i feel sick to write this, and today, i watched and horror film and i just couldn't take it. Now i see that everything that liked me on that genre, it scares me now.

At the same time i began to feel more conected to my emotions, my happiness was increased, and i become more sentimental since i started to see MLP, i cried loudly and laugh so hard, i express my feelings more often than before with anything on my life

Have you experience the same thing too?

I know excactly how you feel! Back when I was a hateful 18 year old teenager, it was all about zombie movies and other gore filled abominations! When I grew older, I started to resent all that violence and hate in movies and games, couldn't even watch any episode of Hellsing anymore without getting sickened by all that mindless slaughter!

When my friend introduced me to the MLP:FIM, my entire perspective of life changed into more light hearted and positive!

I've always been very emotional person myself, I will admit that I even cry very often when watching a touching or sad movie.

It was MLP that allowed me to truly express myself as I am today, a caring and loving person that I had hid beneath the stone cold mask since my childhood.

So yes, I'm a better person today because of all these wonderful technicolor ponies! ^_^

• 1 month later...

How have you changed during the time you have been a brony? My story goes like this.

Before i watched MLP FiM I was very clear with what i wanted to like and not like, but this goes mostly on the topic of music. I have been a Heavy/black/death metal fanatic for about 6 years and that means i didnt listen to anything that wasnt Metal (im serious i didnt listen to anything else, 100% metal) and I wanted it to be this way because I generaly didnt like anything else because i knew that metal was the gift of the gods. I wanted to protect myself from dubstep and other music that you composed with a computer because I didnt see that as real music and Metal music was the only way to go and I wouldnt even give other music a chance. 

Lets skip over to the part where I have watched MLP FiM, I found myself watching MLP FiM and i really really enjoyed the music in the show so i started to search it on youtube and make playlists of all the different songs on the show. 

Alot of people when they first watched the show they started to think ''am I really watching MLP FiM?'' I didnt really have that thought in my head but what was in my head was ''am I really listening to this kind of music??'' (note I am only listening to the songs that are in the show and not any remixes AT THIS POINT) I was begining to doubt myself a little because I knew I wasnt suppose to like this kind of music ( according to my messed up standards). 

So what is the deal now? Well... going from being someone that would listen to metal 8+ hours a day( I listen to music all the time, the time I dont is when i talk to people) I am now listening to all kinds of different songs that is fanmade (fanmade MLP FiM music at the moment) and quite frankly I dont know if i have listend to any sort of metal this whole week. 

The day might come when I start listening to elektronic music and such that isnt pony-related but I just wanted to say that I am so greatfull to have become a brony, not only has my view on music changed but I have become a better person in general (love and tolerate). Im ashamed to admit it but I would rage on people on video games for different reasons, now I happily say that I dont do that anymore and I wanna go back in time to facehoof my former self for having a mind that is like North Korea and being immature.

So how has the show/ fandom made you a better person?

Edited by SveciaDash
  • Brohoof 2

I'm the same in that it increased the variety of music I listened to. It also made me more interested in stories of how people bond with each other, even romantically, where as before i just watched and read stuff where people either die horribly, things explode or things explode causing people to horribly.

Edited by Nail Malinter

I used to be way more self-centered, now when I act that way I'm usually playing it for laughs. In addition, I have become much more considerate of other people's feelings, I actually used to be way more brash and aggressive before I joined the fandom, I suppose having actual friends (That I met thanks to being in the fandom) has shown me a better way to live my life.

Now I find myself actually looking out for people, before I joined the fandom I didn't really think there were any good people left in the world. I was proven wrong and my life has been better for it ever since.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

Well, i had a sort of artistic revolution tongue.png, i started making music, i learned how to draw...(which i never could) and i've started writing...sort of tongue.png, working on a industrial mlp fic...... I have always been friendly,..but mlp made me even more so,..it's been a great ride, and i've only been a brony for about 9 months XD,...well....i love the fandom, i love the show, and honestly i feel privileged being with such good people, i'd like to thank you......also /)

Well...cheers, going to play victoria 2 now,...time to conquer the world as a communist UK..biggrin.png

But yeah...i'm still pretty much a metalhead and rocker...my music taste hasn't changed much...dont like pop....

Edited by Guest

To be honest I have not changed at all since I became a brony, yet.

I am still the dumb kid wasting all his time on a computer and or running around.

Though I listened to a lot of music genres before, I am not stuck in anything. (never liked pop too much tough...)

I got some cool friends though.

Edited by a crazy pony

I molted my exoskeleton and became a beautiful butterfly!....Oh...Wrong type of change.

I would have to say that I have become a bit more open minded. I found out I could draw if I take the time. I find it easier to control my anger. And I find myself to be happier, even though I was always usually a happy person. After coming back from Derpycon, I find that I am much more comfortable with my bronydom. I have also met several cool people.

Being in this fandom has been a fantastic experience, and I feel much better about myself and being a brony since I went to that convention. Being around so many other bronies is such an empowering experience.

Well dunno if i could be from becoming a brony or just me mellowing out as i get older but I find it much eaiser to control my anger then I used to be able to

• Brohoof 1

Im mostly still the same. I guess i did become a little more social and somewhat more caring for others. My musical tastes have expanded just a tad, but that wasnt fully cause of ponies. I did get a slight interest in drawing and art though cause of it.

Does being turned bi from other pony lovers count for this? No? Ok...

I haven't changed in the slightest. I haven't become more tolerant, I haven't become more loving, I haven't become more anything. Neither the show or the fandom has made me a better person...they both just give me something to do in my free time. 

It's changed me entirely. In more ways I could of ever thought possible really. At the time when I officially joined the fandom and not too long after that, this site, I felt so much love and friendly acceptance from others that I have never really experienced before. For the first time ever, I was no longer truly alone. Sure I had a bunch of friends at the time, but they weren't legitimate friends I could really talk to about everything or rely on.

So this fandom has granted me some of the greatest friends I never thought I would have the privilege of getting to know. It's helped me socially, emotionally, and it's really made me a much more positive person overall.

It's given me so much inspiration in art, design, and writing as well. 

I wouldn't be the happy person I am today, if it wasn't for MLP:FIM. It's give me so much and I cannot thank Lauren Faust enough for her beautiful masterpiece of a show. smile.png

Btw, yesterday was in fact MLP:FIM's third birthday! yay.png 

FANMADE_mlp-pinkie-pie-happy.gif

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 1