Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First Impressions ~ Rainbow Dash

shotoku

So I was thinking about the first time I watched Friendship is Magic and I remembered that when I first saw Rainbow Dash I thought she was a boy. Mostly by the way she composed herself in front of others and her voice sounded more like a young boy than a girl. It took me several episodes before I finally got my mind to think she was a girl instead of a boy. Some of this probably happened because one of the guys who got me into ponies was a fan of Rainbow. Did anybody else experience this or was I just being weird?

I hear a lot of people mistake Dash to be a male at first. I remember asking my sister when I was first watching ponies whether she was a boy or not (she replied that they were all girls). Once in fact way after that I accidentally referred to her as a he in my head! O.o

So is this thread about other first impressions of RD?

Considering the fact that for the first few episodes I skipped though the intro, I thought for the longest time that she was a guy who happened to voice crack a lot. It wasn't until I talked to the person who bribed me into giving the show a chance that I found out Rainbow Dash is a girl. My mind just went O.O :o .

|--(0)--|

techno915

I knew instantly that she was a girl because:

• Past generations of MLP (Rainbow Dash always dresses in style!)

• Her body type

• EYELASHES, a must have for girls only in cartoons. :D.

• It's a show for little girls, so obviously the "mane" characters would most likely all be girls unless it was a love interest or brother or something.

• Because only a mare would have such a fabulous mane.
As for her personality, for the whole first season I hated her, until season 2 came along and I realized how funny and awesome she is thanks to Read it and Weep and rewatching season 1. Third favorite pony FTW. Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 1

From the start, I knew she was going to be a tomboy character whom would probably be pretty cool, given her speed and the tornado she pulled off on Twilight. It wasn't until two weeks later of finishing most if not all the episodes did I realize that she was my fave Mane 6 pony.

By the time I firstly saw Dashie, I have considered the ponies somewhat strangely genderless :blink: So I would not

worry about it at the first time, and when I stopped considering them genderless I already knew she was girl...

I saw Rainbow Dash before I even became a brony. My friend showed me this video that had her in it. I knew she was a tomboy just from that video. The first time I saw in the TV show I realized my first impressions were correct. She wasn't my favorite and she still isn't, but she's rather high up there on my list.

I don't know how, but alot of people mistake Rainbow for a male, even my 2 friends. I thought it was pretty obvious to me, but anyway, on topic:

I thought Rainbow was a pretty cool character. I was actually suprised to see her have a nice voice, was a tomboy, and was an athlete since it was, Y'know... My Little Pony, and I wasn't expecting anything like that. She was my favorite for a while, and the only character I liked, but as some here know, Twilight is my favorite now, but Rainbow is currently my 2nd favorite.

in the first few episodes (s1 e1) she just had really girly moment's and are laugh was really girly :P

The first/second episode also come over VERY girly at time's compared to the rest, so i knew they where all girl's.

I had never watched any MLP before and had no idea what the show would be like when i first watched it.

I didn't think so but my Mom thought Rainbow Dash and Applejack were male. Can't blame her but I saw the eyelashes ;) I would probably have thought so because of the name, Applejack is kind of a boy's name in my opinion. Though I learned to check twice for genders ;)

Applejack and Rainbow Dash "feel" like males... But obviously they are all female. I actually kind of think equestria itself features a female bias. Meaning about 15% of males here would be female on the other side if there were a portal of some kind.

At first, I thought she was a boy, but I remembered Rainbow Dash from G3, and was like "Wait..." And then I figured it out. I love Dashie, she's my favorite out of the mane 6. Her introduction scene where she's just sitting in the mud looking adorable and flicking her tail was my favorite scene ever.

I always knew she was a girl considering it's MLP and I had old toys when I was little. I do like her a lot now that she's a tomboy and more three dimensional, but I just don't find her personality flattering. She's stil way better than G3!

I never thought she was a girl. To what I saw of her in the episode, she was going to be the Tom boy of the show. Also none of the others I thought were boys. Even Apple Jack did not look like a boy to me. I just saw a western girl.

I knew she was a girl from the start. I also knew after her first appearance scene that she was going to be a tomboy-type character. indicative by the way she spoke and carried herself. Actually, to be honest, I was able to judge the type of characters most of the mane6 were going to be from the get-go.

~~

K'than, I'll admit that it wasn't until the third episode when it finally dawned on me that Rainbow Dash was in fact a girl. In my defense, she hadn't received much screen time up to that point.

I'm not gonna lie that I kinda had that weird feeling that rainbow dash might be a boy just from his voice. However I knew it wasn't true but part of me kinda thought it could be(Weird Ik). But after awhile I finally got that rainbow dash was a girl expecially after being refered to one and by other things they do on the show.

I also kinda thought the same about scootaloo at first but again It didn't really take long for me to relize she's a girl to. They both seem like they could be boys to me even if they're not.

• Brohoof 1

I like her voice and she is second cutest pony.

I'm actually surprised many of you went through the same situation that I did! :lol: Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought RD seemed a little male at first.

I knew she was a boy ahead of time from my friends, because they

got me into the series, but if I ha not known I would say she was a boy, the way

she appears and her actions definitely point more towards male than female, but as you move through the series

I believe we all got a feel for how colts are portrayed and the voice acting for males they choose :)

~Icewing

• Brohoof 1

yeah my first reaction to RD was that she was male and this was befor i even knew the plot or anything else hell the first vid of MLP i saw was her kicking a dragon followed by 'like a boss' so yeah she was the pony that started it all for me.

when i first watch some episodes he was my second favorite pony but as season two started that all changed the writers decided to keep writing her so shallow in a attempt to redeem her and make her a stronger character but it doesn't work it actually made it worse and now RD is one of my least favorite ponies

curse you MLP team.... curse you

I never assumed she was male... For a long time before I was a brony, I had a neutral attitude towards ponies, and I don't really remember what my previous opinions on the ponies were. But remembered that thinking that the show was geared towards girls, I expected all the mane characters to be female. I actually thought the were no male characters at all (except for Spike) in the show.