Which spelling do you prefer?

rcollinz13

Spelling Systems  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Which spelling do you prefer?

• British
    • American
    • Other

I like the British way of spelling mostly because it looks so much cooler unfortunately, as much as I would love to use the british spelling I am more accustomed to the american way mostly because that is how I have been taught

I'm from the US, so I spell everything 'merica style. What's the point in adding a U to color and honor? It's totally unecessary. Everytime I see the word "colour" I want to pronounce it totally wrong, like fav-OUR-it or col-OUR. And not only am I an American, I'm from Texas... So I occasionally use Texas slangs such as y'all, gimme, or wore out.

Edited by crazitaco

I have always liked the way Irish people speak as well as Australians :). Out of all the accents those are my two favorites. I want to go to Ireland or Australia for that matter too!

But I guess back on topic. I like the British way of spelling I suppose.

Don't know, don't care.

I just spell colour and favourite whichever way is most pleasing to me.

All I know is that I use a specific set of words more often than most. These words are written hereof, hereby, herein, herefore, herewith, wherefore, whereof, wherein, whereby, wherewith therefore thereby thereof therewith therein thereunder hereunder whereunder.

A lot of my teacher's tell me that since I live in the US now I can't spell things the way I learned growing up.
  Now that's a load of crap.  You spell it however you wish!  Both are accepted.  Just because your teacher can't accept that you learned differently than them doesn't make you wrong.

Reading, I prefer British spellings.  Writing, I prefer American.

Most americans probably won't even understand this song.
As an American, I understand it, and you're pretty close to NSFW territory.  Because just because most Americans won't get it, there are others from Europe that will.

I actually don't have a preference, in fact I seem to use a mixture of them both.

It just gets annoying on Microsoft Word and such when it dislikes one spelling and redirects to the other, and seems to constantly switch between the two.

I find the British spelling to make more sense (maybe because I live in England...). I feel that the American spellings take away something from the spelling of a word rather than the British adding something. For example, to me the American version removes the "u" from colour rather than us Brits adding it on. Either way it doesn't matter, it's not like it makes it any harder to read.

Also..its Aluminium not Aluminum, the second version just sounds wrong to me. Although maybe its because I sound like a scouser when I say Aluminum.

• Brohoof 1

I personally have no preference as to how you spell things. I spell words the American way, but if you want to spell things like colour, armour, etc. I won't get at ya for it :P

I personally don't think that the teacher should get after you for it either. That actually is the correct spelling for the word, whether or not we use it.

Spell things the way you want to spell them, my English teachers back in the day didn't really care if you used American or British spellings.

Personally, I like the British spellings better. I've used this spelling pretty much my whole life because you know, Canada and all. I will say that I really wish my programs would realise that "English Canadian" isn't just a quick copy and paste of the American settings for the keyboard and language.

Russian spelling....the Cyrillic characters I grew up with of course!

I just recently started to learn English, so I guess I use English more than anything Else except for Russian.

I like Russian better since I grew up with it!

Edited by Comrade-Dimitri-Hammer

I prefer the British spelling of things as it is what i have grown up with, however it is slightly annoying how words such as colour are not recognized in html and many a time i have spent a long time going over errors to find i have just "misspelt" color from force of habit.

I had to choose American, because, most of the Tv shows i learned english from, were American, and so, they were in "American English"

If i had to choose again, i'd choose british.

All i can say is that it somewhat bothers me whe Brits say "aluminium" instead of "aluminum". WHERE DO YOU GUYS GET THE EXTRA I FROM?!?!

I do believe you just lost your vote, aluminium is the way most foreign countries also spell the name of the elements, Americans dropped the i for some reason. it is common for elements to end in -ium. Helium, Sodium, Selenium.. Aluminium is no exception.

I always prefer to use British spelling and will always try my best to use it properly. The English invented the English spelling and grammar, let's not have those Americans butcher it more. They already have their horrible accents.

I'm from Canada so I grew up spelling things how the British do. A lot of my teacher's tell me that since I live in the US now I can't spell things the way I learned growing up.

You can spell things however you want. It doesn't matter if we do it differently in America. Both are accepted as proper (except for in your public school system, apparently) and the meaning remains the same.

My preference is the American way. Not just because I grew up with it, but it makes a bit more sense to me. I don't like adding unnecessary silent letters to words, and the transposition of the letters "e" and "r" in words such as center/centre would change the pronunciation by my sensibilities. When it comes to the "ize" vs. "ise" battle, "ize" more closely matches our pronunciation of the word, so I would again choose the American way.

ill-judgement

However, that is the one thing I prefer about the British way.

I like how you in a very subtle manner put all of those words in italics. I still get crap from people at my school for saying my mum instead of my mom.

I feel you. If I, being a southerner, had moved to New York and started attending school there, I would have been ridiculed for almost everything about my way of speaking. Every country has divisions about that sort of thing.

Some people down here pronounce the word "extra" as "extry," and "window" is "winder." Problem is, there's no justification for it. It's entirely incorrect.

The dialect and accent seems to be a lot more fun than the spelling.Most americans probably won't even understand this song.

If you can understand our accent, then why wouldn't we understand yours? You make it sound like most of us have never heard it before, or like we're speaking different languages. And given that there are several variations on American English depending on where one is from and we can all understand one another, understanding a British accent would be no more challenging.

Also..its Aluminium not Aluminum, the second version just sounds wrong to me. Although maybe its because I sound like a scouser when I say Aluminum.

The presence of the "i" in question affects which syllable is emphasized (emphasised?). Are you compensating for that?

I know that won't apply to everyone, but for me American English has fewer ambiguous pronunciations.  Whenever I see "metre" instead of "meter," my mind immediately tries to pronounce it like French "re" words.  As in, with phlegm.

Edited by Pony Joe