Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I just met the pegasister of my dreams, but something went terribly wrong?

jackleapp81

I am a freshman college student, and I have been here for about six weeks now. I live in a rural area in the middle of Kansas, and not very many sudents here are bronies. If they are, they are closet bronies.

I was walking in the lunchroom today, and I saw a girl who was wearing an unusual get-up. Her backpack had a ferocious wolf face on it, she was wearing a hipster cap, she had black hair with bright red highlights, neon-colored shoes, and...a DOCTOR WHOOVES T-SHIRT??

I nearly dropped my lunch tray. I excitedly hurried to where she was sitting, and I sat down next to her. She was watching Futurama on her laptop.

"So..." I said. "You, uh...like Futurama?"

"Yeah...It's pretty cool, I guess."

"Oh...yep."

*Awkward silence*

"I've uh...I've watched up to season 3 in that series!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! The animation is superb, and the voice-acting is awesome too. I'm a sucker for good animation. I'm always keeping my eye out for awesome anImated..." I glanced down at her Doctor Whooves shirt. "things..."

She smirked.

"Let me guess. You're a brony."

"Haha. Hahahaha. Ha...yeah, I am." I stammered. "Uh...I see that you are too!"

"Well, technically, the term is pegasister, but whatever you wanna call it is fine with me."

"Awesome!"

Anyway, I'll spare you the details of the rest of the conversation, but I will say that we hit it off great after the awkward introduction, and it turns out that we were into a lot of the same things! This girl was amazing. No doubt about it.

I walked her up to her dorm room after lunch. We were laughing all the way there, and everything was going great. Then, I asked her if she wanted to exchange phone numbers.

"Umm..." she started rubbing her arm. "I don't think so."

I stared at her in shock. I admit, I was taken aback.

"I just...I don't know. When people text me, I get all stressed and...it bugs me, and...yeah."

"Uh...okay. Okay. That's fine. I, uh--have that same problem! I can't stand it when people text me, it's frustrating. Like, really frustrating. I'm totally cool with that. I understand."

*awkward silence*

"I guess I'll...see you around?" I said.

"Mmm.." she replied.

What the hell happened there?? Things were going incredibly!! She was going to be my first true brony friend at college! Did I do something wrong? What's that BS about not wanting to text? My lord! We just...it was...meant to be!....I don't know what to do. I didn't get her number, or her name even. I like her a lot, but she acted like she didn't want to talk to me again. Is there a possibility she has some sort of anxiety disorder or something? I don't understand...and it feels like I've been rejected.

I'm not too out-going an individual, but just asking to exchange numbers was probably the misstep, then again I don't have the entire conversation to go off of. I don't think you've blown it quite yet though, just show up with a subway sandwich made from safe ingredients, I say safe cause some people don't like onions and other stuff. So during lunch or something, say you don't think you'll be able to finish the whole thing and that she's welcome to the other half.

If that works, go into a conversation about her, like what feild she's going into, nothing too personal though. Before leaving, tell her to have a nice day and what not. That should land you in the "friend" zone. It's always worked from my expirence, then again this was back in high school and everyone was too poor to afford a lunch. <.<;

• Brohoof 1

She probably had a situation in the past where someone did her wrong and she just doesn't want to get close with anyone. That, or she hasn't experienced any sort of "real" connections with another yet. I would be as shocked as you are too, but if I put myself in her shoes, I have a ton of scenarios that would most likely make me back away from someone. Again, you can't really blame her as much as try to comprehend what happened, which you may never find out.

Don't stalk her or get over-obsessive about it. If she wants to talk to you again, let her, but if she doesn't want a relationship, love or friend, yet, then just let her be. There are other pegasisters out there!

I'm no expert at this kind of stuff, but I'll give you some advice just based of what you said.

You seem to have rushed a little. You probably should've waited longer before you asked for her number. Maybe talk to her everyday at school for a few days, then ask when she would feel more comfortable.

But that's just what you 'should' of done. As for right now, you should be fine. Try to talk to her the next day you see her. But this time, try to take your time. Ask her for her number maybe a week or two later. Remember to take your time.

Just my advice.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't say that he rushed, at least from today's standards. Everybody talks through Facebook or text nowadays so it's getting more and more common to just get new friends from a simple click of a button and then hit it off. I personally didn't think anything was wrong with how he approached her.

Anytime I met someone new, I almost always ask if they have Facebook so we can keep in touch, and 100% of the time I get it. It all depends on the person's view on socialization.

You were way too excited about the whole deal and scared her to no end. You needed to be rainbow dash cool and instead were twilight sparkle from lesson zero. I'd wait at least 2 weeks before seeing her again and I would be very subtle on the next meeting.

• Brohoof 1

The matter is likely out of your hands, i.e., you were not the prime source of her sudden discomfort. Personally, I didn't see anything wrong in what you said or did. The only way it could have been more smoothly delivered is if you had left the means of communication more open ended (e.g., "Listen, I gotta go, but we should keep in touch."). But how could you have known her reaction would be so terse? Sometimes you just have to roll with it, unfortunately.

I'll bet that you'll bump into her again. Just let the conversation happen as best you can. Apologizing or referring to the event immediately during your next conversation is probably not the best course of action.

Then recline on the floor and use your best smooth, deep voice a la Jake the Dog. :P

• Brohoof 2

You were way too excited about the whole deal and scared her to no end. You needed to be rainbow dash cool and instead were twilight sparkle from lesson zero. I'd wait at least 2 weeks before seeing her again and I would be very subtle on the next meeting.

I'd say this, having done it once or twice myself. Don't show too much interest.

Also, saying that you also hate when people text you after you just asked for her number was kinda stupid and obvious. Whether or not she actually doesn't like texting or was making it up is largely irrelevant; for whatever reason, she doesn't want to give you her number, at least not yet.

Of course, I'm no expert.

Too bad Shankveld left :(

• Brohoof 3

Hmm....I think it's because you asked her for her phone number.

You didn't even get her name XD.

Maybe try talking to her, if she tries to ignore you, say sorry. You could try giving her something nice.

Try being really nice, and not jumping "tiers" randomly and let things happen, when they happen.

Edited by I Sarcasm I

Because everyone knows that when you swap phone numbers with joey you never stop hearing about his ratata... Same basic principle applies here.

Or maybe she doesn't even have a phone? Or doesn't know her own phone number? Anyway it's not a big deal just go ask for it again tommorow lol

• Brohoof 4

Did I do something wrong? What's that BS about not wanting to text? My lord! We just...it was...meant to be!

There could be ALOT of reasons why she didnt want to text, or give you her number. It could be that you came off a bit strong?

I mean you just met her that day, and were already goin for her #? Also perhaps it wasnt meant to be. Maybe she already has a BF? Maybe she isnt even in to guys? There are a ton of things you still dont know about her, Try taking it slowly and not rushing into it to much. Play it calm, and brony on. Also when talking about a show she likes saying "The animation is superb." Is'nt exactly sparkling conversation IMO.

*awkward silence* "I guess I'll...see you around?" I said. "Mmm.." she replied.

Err... "Mmm.." ? That doesnt sound like a positive sound effect either...

Just give it time, man. You can still see each other and make plans without the phone. If a guy asked me for my number the first time I met him I'd probably punch him and run *laughs*

I'm one of those people who just doesn't like texting, and maybe she is too. Just because she's not comfortable with it doesn't mean that anything is "wrong". :)

Dont Blame Yourself. I think the only reason she acted like that is because maybe she's a little more shy or less open than everyone else. Just try talking to her again and dont be so nervous! Haha, and when you think she feels comfortable with you maybe you can find another way to contact her.

Just give it time, man. You can still see each other and make plans without the phone. If a guy asked me for my number the first time I met him I'd probably punch him and run *laughs*

I'm one of those people who just doesn't like texting, and maybe she is too. Just because she's not comfortable with it doesn't mean that anything is "wrong". :)

Oh you like ponies? dats cool, dats cool... me too, you know, me too!

Sooo... listen, can I have your number? Can I have your number? Can I have it? Can I have your number?

Basically, don't be this guy:

• Brohoof 3

Oh you like ponies? dats cool, dats cool... me too, you know, me too!

Sooo... listen, can I have your number? Can I have your number? Can I have it? Can I have your number?

Basically, don't be this guy:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTFZyl7hfBw

Oh the blunt. Im just gonna come out and say it for his own good.

Most girls dont want a guy to randomly sit down by them, talk about their tv show anmations, and then a few hours later say "Can I have your number?" It took me Two months to get My Gf's number, Also like I said before this girl might just find you a bit creepy considering you sat down by her, and asked for her number within the span of about 4 hours give or take a few. Act a bit more calm, and a bit less interested and you two will get to know eachother a bit better!

Ditto about the maybe asking too soon for her number bit.

Do you know her name? What year she is? Did you ask other personal information before asking her for her number? If not then you may have spooked her, if so than maybe she is just very shy or super cautious,

I almost NEVER gave my number out to anyone when I was still single, I would give out Im info and I would instant message with them for awhile and then move on to my number later. I'm also prone to fits of paranoia and live in a constant state of anxiety, but it still holds true for many girls that they aren't big on giving out a number too soon.

If you see her again talk to her, make it casual, get to know her, and if it gets brought up apologize for asking too fast, if it doesn't get brought up then don't worry about it. If she is a freshman too she is also adjusting to college life, and as Solarwind pointed out she may not be in to guys. But she could still be an awesome friend.

You should pat yourself on the back though for giving it a go, it takes a lot of courage, just next time maybe ease up a little and go with the flow. You'll get the hang of it

I think its a because it was a bit of a jump that was a little to much for her confort maybe. Don't feel bad just try to find her again and talk to her and get to know her better then ask.

Its also possible that she didn't know her phone number, doesn't have a phone, had some kind of problem like you said, or was just plain shy and found it a bit of a jump to ask about it.

I had someone I met at a football game once and I didn't even get her name and she asked me if she could have my number. I was quiet shocked and a bit akward about it and I didn't even know what my number was by heart so I would've had to find it on my phone. Overall the akwardness overcomed me and I Just walked away. I felt horrible afterwards.

Just try and get a chance to talk to her another time and get to know her better. Then try and find a good opportunity to ask her for her phone number or something.

Don't get discouraged! Especially if you really like her you may have to work for her a bit!

Good luck!

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not a smooth man in anyway, but if I did notice one thing that went wrong is that maybe you just rushed things a bit to fast. Like I said, I'm not an expert on the matter but this woman sure is...

• Brohoof 1

Erm...well, what other people said. It sounds like you were a bit overly enthusiastic and rushed things a little too fast. I know for myself, it would be great to talk to someone about MLP!...but it would be really weird for me if they wanted my phone number that fast. Especially if we hadn't talked about anything personal. So maybe try and see her around and get to know her a bit more. :)

From what I see you should just follow most of the other advices because they are pretty good and should help.

Like some others I'm no expert on this topic, however I did get an advice from someone I know. When you approach a girl ALWAYS approach from the front, so they see you. If you approach from the back it could scare them.

Just a tip for the next time you see her ;)

Give her a little bit of room to get to know you, you could've said awesome shirt and then left, or you could've done what you did and waited a few days to ask her.

Posted Image

the first thing you should have said is "my name is..."

hahha, I'm sorry how that turn that out fellow brony :(

from your conversation, I would say that it was pretty normal, hmmmm a bit awkward, but I would dare to say that it was A LOT awkward and she was defensive the whole time and you even didn't notice that :P

remember one thing... girls are from another planet!

when you say no, you don't care, and when you say yes, they think that you don't have a personality and try to "seek" for something else for agreeing in everything they say! XD, anyways...

why you asked for her phone number, if she didn't know you name! that's like NO-NO! LOL, and I think that she was just being nice and talking to you out of courtesy, not because she was looking for a friend or something, I dunno, that's what I feel.

give her some time, and just say hi, when you see her again, and be friendly, this time make sure to speak about things that she like and say your name :P