Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do I have against that episode?

Cantankerous

I don't like Sisterhooves Social. Well, I don't like it much. But why? It developed Rarity and Sweetie Bell, clarifying their relationship and it did so with enough grace to make both of their positions sympathetic. It also threw in development for Applejack and Applebloom, indeed, Applejack shines here. Even so, I had a tepid reaction to the episode and I'm still trying to figure out why. Do any of you have episodes you feel this way about? Edited by RationalistPony

hmm. nope, sorry, I can easily quantify why I don't like any episode i don't like.

Over a barrel: Braeburn is annoying, The Indian stereotypes are awful, and Pie wars? what is this veggie tales?

Mare do well: Everypony is a jerk.

Call of the cutie: the kids are annoying and that song...

• Brohoof 1

I don't like Sisterhooves Social. Well, I don't like it much. But why? It developed Rarity and Sweetie Bell, clarifying there relationship and it did so with enough grace to make both of there positions sympathetic. It also threw in development for Applejack and Applebloom, indeed, Applejack shines here. Even so, I had a tepid reaction to the episode and I'm still trying to figure out why. Do any of you have episodes you feel this way about?

There are supposed to be development for the characters. It's the whole point of the show. Applejack barely ever shines anywhere, too; I don't see how that is a problem. Besides, it's not really AJ alone. Sisterhooves Social is about sisterly love, and the only other CMC except for Sweetie who has a sister is Apple Bloom.

Well, it is just your opinion, and I respect that. But disliking something for no reason seems to be going rather far...'

Anyway, for me...I'd say...Fall Weather Friends. Dislike it with a passion.

Edited by Clarity

(edited)

There are supposed to be development for the characters. It's the whole point of the show. Applejack barely ever shines anywhere, too; I don't see how that is a problem. Besides, it's not really AJ alone. Sisterhooves Social is about sisterly love, and the only other CMC except for Sweetie who has a sister is Apple Bloom.

Well, it is just your opinion, and I respect that. But disliking something for no reason seems to be going rather far...'

Anyway, for me...I'd say...Fall Weather Friends. Dislike it with a passion.

Perhaps this is a failing on my part. I didn't ask "Buy why?" rhetorically. It's a genuine question I'm posing to myself. Of course character development is the whole point of the show so it doesn't make much sense to dislike an episode that delivers it.

Edited by RationalistPony

Perhaps this is a failing on my part. I didn't ask "Buy why?" rhetorically. It's a genuine question I'm possing to myself. Of course character development is the whole point of the show so it doesn't make much sense to dislike an episode that delivers it.

You can like a show without liking every single episode, I can see your point trying to put your finger on why you dislike that episode since it has all the ingredients that perhaps appeals but only you can know why you don't like it

• Brohoof 1

I dislike that Mare Do Well episode.

It shows Rainbow Dash as such a jerk.

And I hate how she don't understand something fishy is going on when she sees Mare Do Well has both horn and wings :P

Edited by Bugz

"Ponyville Confidential", because I don't like how every single pony is blaming the Cutie Mark Crusaders like that and treating them like they had committed the ultimate crime (except Rarity it seems). Even though they were the ones who wrote the stories, they weren't the ones who published them OR took photos. In other words, it felt like everypony were barking up the wrong tree. Furthermore, the entire problem could have been solved just by talking to Cheerilee and complain and she would have stopped things before they got out of hoof, not after the damages were done. Plus, the episode made Diamond Tiara look a lot more intolerable than in "Call of the Cutie".

I found the beginning quite funny, however.

Edited by Koori
  • Brohoof 1

I think most of the ponies in "Ponyville Confidential" kinda overreacted a little bit. I mean sure its bad that your seceret is out but it didnt seem like anyone really cared about it or made fun of each other. Besides on the bright side you can be open about it now.

Plus The CMC couldve told Cherilee (or someone else) that Diamond Tiarra was black mailing them. Besides those pictures werent really all that embaressing anyway maybe to get a few chuckles but it wouldnt have made them the laughing stock of Equestria or anything.

Simply put everyone in that episode overeacted.

I'm gonna go with Mare-Do-well because everyone was such a jerk in that one. I can't think of any other episodes that I really dislike, maybe like 4 that I find pretty meh but that's it. Oh and sisterhooves social is one of my favorites

eh, I'm lukewarm about most fluttershy episodes, as well as may the best pet win. Fluttershy was my favorite pony when all this ponyness started, but she's really...really lost her luster for me.

Mare Do Well felt like a story written by someone who either didn't know the characters very well or someone who hated Dash (or both). Dash's ego is a problem (IMO part of it is to help her cope with worrying whether she can become a wonderbolt, but I digress) but there were better ways of trying to solve the problem, namely talking to her. Orchestrating another friendship lesson? Great memory of 5 episodes ago Twi, that never goes wrong. Locking your friend out of the loop and letting them draw all the wrong conclusions? Yeah, you LOVED it when that happened to you Pinkie Pie. And remember when you let your ego run away with you Rarity? When Dash saved your life and forgave you in a heartbeat? I don't even know how to explain any of their behavior. Were they being jerks or hypocrites? At the bakery, were they having a nice inside joke to purposefully piss Dash off, or legitamately enjoying their heroism? Was Fluttershy's fly-by a calculated assault on what was left of Dash's self confidence or merely basking in the praise of the crowd? Either way by the time Dash is left miserable and alone on a cloud, questioning her self-worth I had lost just about all respect for their plan. And if Scootaloo behaved like that in a fanfic the author would get ripped for the sheer OOCness

• Brohoof 1

Yeah. I don't really like Dog and Pony Show for some reason. I don't really like Rarity episodes very much, considering she is my least favorite of the 6.

I also don't like Putting Your Hoof Down. I don't like the overall setting of the episode, as I am not a huge Fluttershy fan, either.

• Brohoof 1

I have a few little things about a few episodes that I quite dislike...

Putting Your Hoof Down is definitely my least favorite episode. The way Fluttershy acts is just so... horrible. It's the complete opposite of the Fluttershy we all know and love. :(

The Ticket Master because of all the characters trying to persuade Twilight with the tickets. Oh, and also because of Celestia's mean trolling. :|

Green Isn't Your Color, more specifically the part when Fluttershy walks on stage and Twilight messes her up with magic in front of the whole audience. Their reaction and Fluttershy's expression are just awful.

Swarm Of The Century because Pinkie Pie never tells anyone she knows how to get rid of the Parasprite, so obviously no one took her seriously because of that.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah there is supposed to be developement in characters...

One episode... hmmm, I'm going to say "Dog and Pony show..." I do love Rarity in that episode, but it's just the diamond Dogs.

There seems to be some confusion here, this thread is not about what episodes you dislike and why it's about episodes you dislike (or just don't particularly care for) and are unsure about why. I can't be the only one to have a hard time putting a finger on what's wrong with an episode.

There seems to be some confusion here, this thread is not about what episodes you dislike and why it's about episodes you dislike (or just don't particularly care for) and are unsure about why. I can't be the only one to have a hard time putting a finger on what's wrong with an episode.

Well now I feel silly for making that absurdly long post, I guess I'll say Secret of my Excess then. I apologize for my lack of understanding

Stare Master. Good episode, but a very taxing one for me. The problem is my level of empathy with Fluttershy. I see her nerves wearing thin and the same starts happening to me.

Or maybe I just find the CMC irritating, period. I don't know. No other episode featuring them gets to me like that, not even when they causing a ruckus with the Big Mac/Cheerilee incident in Hearts and Hooves Day. I think they're adorable and I love their voices. They're funny and that 80s themed act they put on at the talent show was both brilliant and cringe-worthy. But Stare Master is altogether different.

Edited by Artemis

The episode I don't like from season 1 is Stare Master- This to me was not a great episode. It did develop Fluttershy well and it showed more of the CMC, but have problems with it. One problem is this episode seems to force these characters together. I mean why could they just not go to Apple Blooms house or Scootaloo. Also I don't like the CMC that much.

The episode from Season 2 I don't like is MMMystery on the friendship express. That episode had 3 character acting way out of their characters and the lesson should have been learned by them not Pinkie Pie.

• 4 years later...

I dislike Mystery on the Friendship Express.  It is a parody of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.  In the 1st place, I don't especially like Hercule Poirot (I prefer Miss Jane Marple).  2nd, it's not especially well done.  Pinkie comes off as an idiot (more than usual, I mean).  Pinkie's friends destroy her cake (not especially friendly, IMO) & the ending is hopelessly unsanitary.  Are there no Health Laws?

I dislike Mystery on the Friendship Express. It is a parody of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. In the 1st place, I don't especially like Hercule Poirot (I prefer Miss Jane Marple). 2nd, it's not especially well done. Pinkie comes off as an idiot (more than usual, I mean). Pinkie's friends destroy her cake (not especially friendly, IMO) & the ending is hopelessly unsanitary. Are there no Health Laws?

Twilight could have just put some spell on the cake to make it hygienic if it bothers you so.

Episode I don't like and don't know the reason why I dislike it... Hmm... Ok, I'm going to be honest here. All the episodes have their flaws, but I honestly can't put a hoof on a single episode I actually completely dislike, despite their flaws.

The Crystalling and To Where and Back Again (well, at least the clips of To Where and Back Again I've seen) Were underwhelming and felt more like episodes of an entirely different pony show. That, and Flurry plays no role in TWBA whatsoever other than prisoner. Chrysalis could have fed off her love and gained a lot of power and used it to destroy the heroes. And this is all I'll say about the episodes.

As for Slice of Life, well, other than Octavia speaking, it was just random.

Edited by heavens-champion