Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I should pick up something new, but I kinda want to revisit an oldie. Maybe Bunnicula for the thousandth time. :P

Dang.  I remember reading that in school a long dang time ago.  Thanks for bringing that memory back.  I remember liking it, and I need to go back a read it again.

• Brohoof 1

I just finished reading the Enemy by Lee Childs, and am planning to start another one of the same series, but I'm a really slow reader so we'll see how long that takes :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Dracula. Been reading it for several years and I still haven't finish it (granted I also read most of the Warriors series during that time as well). It isn't a book that I was particularly interested in reading, but my sister gave to me because it was funny and I just read it because it is mine. I quite like it though. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would (though apparently not enough to finish it). I like the writing style and the vampires lore. It is actually the vampires I grew up knowing (classic vampires instead of the fancy Twilight vampires (sorry Twilight fans. Not shading the story as I have never read it)).

Also contemplating whether I should find the rest of the Vision Of Shadows. (Below may contain VOS spoilers)

Spoiler

I am not really interested in it, but do want to see what happens to Skyclan and Twigpaw and Violetpaw. Kinda thinking that Skyclan might end up in Darkclan's old camp/territory since I don't think clans are that willing to accomodate and shift around. Or maybe they'll split? Cats goes to whichever clans they want? Also wondering if Leafpool would die or would Thunderclan really live with three medicine cats. And a few other unanswered questions.

(edited)

Some Assembly Required: Decoding 4 Billion Years of Life, from Ancient Fossils to DNA by Neil Shubin

81sF+xbEsjL.jpg

I'm also reading a novel called Elf Realm: The Low Road by Daniel Kirk. 

51qxvnEWYZL.jpg

Also, I know you probably find the first one.. well... unusual :) 

Edited by TheNewBrony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, book 10: Crossroads of Twilight. If you like Game of Thrones, you might like this series. It's supposed to be getting a series adaptation by Amazon sometime in the future.

Also some japanese light novels: Sword Art Online vol. 18 and Re:Zero vol. 12.

I just finished a set of ATLA graphic novels. I’m hoping I can find more in-store, but if not, I have a couple fimfics queued up to read. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still on The Fifth Elephant. Had bother with this one as I said before, a slower to start didn't seem to want to "get going", so must be my third attempt at reading it. First time a year ago? :o  However by about halfway it really took off and turned into a can't put-er-downer ...

Other is Death of A Gentle Woman, other is The Revolving Boy

In between, B.C. Best Of and B.C. Rides Again (cartoons)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Girl from No. 6 is a novelized biography by Vanessa Voth about her grandmother Marie Loewen.
It tells of Marie and her mother Kaethe; fleeing from Mennonite Russia during the early years of Stalin's 5-Year Plans to becoming refugee colonists in Paraguay, and the struggles of their lives living in what is now Filadelfia and Fernheim.

It is relevant to my interests because it is from these exact circumstances that my grandparents lived, and where my mother was born. Marie Loewen was a friend of my opa.

Edited by Blue

I am reading a book about baseball statistics called "The Shift". It's a good book, and he explains how the modern saber-metric kinds of models work and can make things better for the game. 

But I am finding I am old school about how baseball works (I like Trouble with the Curve better than Moneyball, for instance). I just don't care about all of his math, no matter how entertaining his writing may be. I am about half complete and will finish it -- learning a little about this stuff is why I bought it. But I don't think I am going to love the book. 

On 5/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, Cagey said:

I should pick up something new, but I kinda want to revisit an oldie. Maybe Bunnicula for the thousandth time. :P

The Celery stalks at midnight!

Started Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I should have read this one long ago, but now I'm actually doing it thanks to the TV series that I might watch later as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading "Rama Revealed" by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee. It is the fourth book in the series starting with the 1973  classic "Rendezvous with Rama." by Arthur C Clark. I read Rendezvous when I was in grade school, and finally re-read it last month so I could read all four books. "Rama II" dragged for about half the book, but then I finally got into it and it became a page turner when they finally left our Solar System. By the end of "Garden of Rama" I got teary eyed at the cliff hanger. Thank goodness I could jump right into "Rama Revealed"! It's back to being a page turner for me!

(Screen scroller? I read all four on my Kindle).

Small but embarrassing note:

I was young enough when I read "Rendezvous with Rama." that I asked my dad about the title. I knew the word, but didn't recognize it since I had never ever seen it in print before. I actually asked, with a straight face, what "Ren Dezz V Us" meant.  (Yeah, I said it like four words)  Oh boy did he start laughing! He apologized, while still laughing, and told me how to pronounce it. I wish YouTube was a thing back then! :please:

Spoiler