Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

Right now I'm reading "The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues". I love James Bolivar DiGriz, alias Slippery Jim, alias The Stainless Steel Rat. He's a con-man and master thief, with a very strict moral code. He never steals from people. He steals from governments, corporations and banks that are fully insured. He also will never knowingly kill. The Stainless Steel Rat novels are full of wild adventure, humor, porkuswine, and impossible con-jobs and thefts that would make the Mission Impossible crew scratch their heads in total bewilderment! 

post-375-0-71643000-1452716119_thumb.jpg

Currently reading "Dirty Streets of Heaven" (which takes me a while as it is in english and that is not my native language ^^;) and finally got "Heroes of Olymp: The Mark of Athena" (I generally read paperbacks because I read a lot when I'm on the go, and somehow it takes forever for those to be available here... xP) so I will continue with that afterwards. Both are great in their own different ways :)

I read The Elements of Harmony Mlp guide book all the way through yesterday... does that count? >.>

I have trouble finding books I like enough to read all the way through, and I don't know why. I wanna read more. I just... don't. :(

However, the book Runemarks is really good if you like Norse mythology. I can't remember who wrote it right now though. >.>'

I'm almost done reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It was an enjoying read. :)

And I'm also starting the next 2 chapters in A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America by Ronald Takaki. An eye-opening version of history from different perspectives other than the Eurocentric version.

• Brohoof 2

I just started reading the book Eragon, although it wasn't my idea. I was visiting my school's library and asked the librarian what she recommended. The next thing I know, my hands are full of several books she wanted me to look into, and she told me that she took the liberty of checking out Eragon and putting me on the wait list for Ender's Game. She is really on the ball when it comes to books.

Weeellll....

The Reason For God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller, Hate List by Jennifer Brown, Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Speech: A Historic Filibuster on Corporate Greed and the Decline of Our Middle Class by Bernie Sanders. 

Edited by MalignCynicalIce
  • Brohoof 1

It hasn't been long since we finished reading the last couple of books left to us in "The Dresden Files" series (Skin Game and Side Jobs).  That is, last until the next novel is published.  We returned to Pratchett's Discworld with Wyrd Sisters, and I plan on downloading Pyramids to our Kindle tomorrow.

miss peregrine's house for peculiar children, it's soooo good, it's a thriller novel and the main character aint a lil shit (plus, no signs of any dumb romance or love triangle involving him of what i read so far)

apparently there's gonna be a movie on march abt this book, but i'm not really looking forward to it bc it's tim burton who's gonna make it, and lately his movies havent been the best pieces of work i've seen :/

I'm about a third into "Gateway". Written in 1977, It's the first book in Frederik Pohl's Heechee saga. It's a re-read for me, but it was so many years ago (grade school) that I don't remember a lot of it.

I love the premise though! Imagine the discovery of an asteroid, tunneled, with a livable atmosphere, containing nearly a thousand faster than light interstellar spacecraft. Older than recorded human history, the ships still work, but nobody knows how. Any attempt to dismantle or reverse engineer the ships causes a small nuclear explosion! You can guesswork out an accepted flight-plan for the on-board navigation computer, but nobody actually knows where you'll end up, or how long the flight will take. (Death by starvation before you can return is a VERY real risk!) It's all random chance. You could come back with a new alien artifact or discovery, and be fantastically rich for the rest of your life, or more often then not, the ship comes back with a dead crew...If it comes back at all. Ships have been known to return automatically, with the crew actually BAKED onto the inner hull after emerging from light drive into real space within the photosphere of a star! The science fiction aspects are so well written, it could have been penned today. Emotionally, it's timeless. The book is presented from world renowned and fantastically wealthy Robinette Broadhead's point of view. Through visits with his AI shrink, and flashbacks to his time as a young man poor and desperate enough to become a Gateway prospector, the reader slowly learns the terrible emotional price he paid to be one of the "winners".

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Right now I'm reading Angel of Storms by Trudi Canavan and also rereading the Wheel of Time series along with the Wheel of Time Companion.  Patiently (not really though) waiting for the next book in the Stormlight Archive series.