Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If MLP became adult-orientated, would you still watch it?

poniesforfun

If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?

• Yes
    • No

Apparently MLP's most obvious fan database are teens to adult bronies. So what if MLP became one of "those" cartoons? And I mean cartoons like Simpsons, Happy Tree Friends or so forth? As in it still looks like a children's cartoon but it's themes become more complex. Or going the PG-13 anime and having a progressive storyline.

Would you still watch it after that?

• Brohoof 4

Hell to the no.

The main reason I enjoy MLP is the fact that it's entertaining while still maintaining a sense of innocence. I usually don't like the two part episodes, as they're more action than anything else, and I don't like it. Put in adult themes and everything is ruined.

Complex stories are where I turn to anime. MLP is where I let the kid in me turn alive and enjoy the simple things.

• Brohoof 14

I say yes personally because...something like this already exists in the fan series Friendship is Witchcraft. The stories are essentially the same, but the humor is decidedly more adult. I love it, and I know i'd most certainly watch it if that was what actually came on TV.

Edited by Blackcat
  • Brohoof 4

I can't choose, I would not like MLP to be like the simpsons or HTF, but I would like it to be a little bit more matured and with a progressive storyline through all the episodes, but still without extreme violence, or obvious adult themes, so I would say no.

Edited by Motion Spark
  • Brohoof 13

I would most likely enjoy it a bit more if it had some more mature themes to it, like conflict arising from friendship and/or opposing ideologies clashing, Blood and gore is optional, but the violence it would create would hook me immediately. I place the line between that and if it gets too far with the dark themes because then it would be just going too far.

I say no, because considering it'd still be american styled storytelling I don't want it to turn into something like the Simpsons, South Park or Happy Tree Friends. Not that there's anything wrong with those shows, but MLP being turned into something similar..bleh. It'd loose part of the charm it has.

Now. If by more "adult" oriented means more along the lines of DragonBall, I wouldn't mind at all. And no, I don't mean the fighting. I mean a story that doesn't mind poking fun at various topics, but still retains a certain innoncence to it. Or maybe Dr. Slump would be a better comparison.

Edited by himanuts

It might not be the same but I could still see it as being a good show, there have been several adult oriented fan fics I have enjoyed that have had that sort of humor to them while still staying true to the show though certain had to be taken obviously. It is probably not going to happen though as Hasbro is going to get a lot of very angry parents and will lose much of their core audience being little girls and some of their adult fans who might not be into that sort of thing. It seems like it is probably for the best that that sort of material should be left up to the fans.

we if they did try to do that the show would suck, hardly anyone would watch it and they would alienate there true audience (little girls).

they would essentially kill and the cute charm of the show that help make every thing good to cater to f :( king bronies

I would not. I just can't see myself there. If mlp became an adult thing, it would just turn into a clop fest. And that would just ruin it for me.

Edited by Betez

I say yes personally because...something like this already exists in the fan series Friendship is Witchcraft. The stories are essentially the same, but the humor is decidedly more adult. I love it, and I know i'd most certainly watch it if that was what actually came on TV.

I had never heard of FiW so i popped on to youtube and although it is well done, i'm still going to stick with the gen4 original mlp. Still entertaining as a side thing though!

I had never heard of FiW so i popped on to youtube and although it is well done, i'm still going to stick with the gen4 original mlp. Still entertaining as a side thing though!

Did you watch the sisterhooves social ep? Sweetie Bot is the best thing ever? Though...I suppose you'd have to watch the one before it to have it make perfect sense.

Did you watch the sisterhooves social ep? Sweetie Bot is the best thing ever? Though...I suppose you'd have to watch the one before it to have it make perfect sense.

I just finished the first one and am working on the second. I'll watch throughout the day so I guess i'll find out one way oranother!

No, I wouldn't watch it. One of the things I love about MLP is that the style of humor is innocent. It wouldn't really be the same. The show is in good standing as it is.

To be honest, I watch anything that looks good, most of that being adult themed. My Little Pony is a good show, so I would definitely still watch it, because as I said, I love adult-themed shows, and if you put the two together, it would make on super mega show.

I love the child-like innocence it reflects. Make me feel all fuzzy and warm in my heart. :wub:

I mean, I like adult show of course too. Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Supernatural....whatever

Yet MLP is the one show I watch that's adorable and innocent. It makes me feel good after a long day of work, or if I'm feeling down.

• Brohoof 2

No. Let Family Guy be Family Guy and let MLP be MLP. I will not watch a show where the mane 6 become promiscuous bitches going to hook up with stallions for one night stands at da club every Friday night. I just refuse. I like it for what it is.

• Brohoof 4

I like it better as is with the clever and subtle ways the creator's "Get Crap Past the Radar". I mean, they even managed to sneak a Blazing Saddles shout-out of all things into it.

I personally like the feel the show has now, it almost reminds me of the Disney stuff I grew up with at times.

Edited by Shoboni

The show is called 'Friendship is Magic' for a reason - even if a darker theme is eventually resolved and everypony learns a lesson, the magic we feel as viewers just wouldn't flow - we'd feel slightly awkward with it.

Also, increased violence is almost unaviodable when exploring more mature matters, and at the moment they've got the level of conflict between the Mane 6 (which is always resolved in the same episode anyway) so spot on that you can still relish every second and actually embrace concepts like Fluttershy going psycho on her friends now and then.

Even if the darker themes were superbly executed, it could never replace what we're enjoying right now. Whatever the case, change brings criticism, especially when there was no need to alter the winning formula in the first place.

But then, as long as Lauren Faust has her brilliantly creative hand in the mix, I don't think we've got anything to worry about :)

But then, as long as Lauren Faust has her brilliantly creative hand in the mix, I don't think we've got anything to worry about :)

She left the show sometime during season 2, she hasn't had her hand in producing episodes in quite a while. So the staff must be doing well if people haven't noticed.

There are a couple of ways it could happen.

Adult themes, but not humor related: America doesn't really have much like this, as far as cartoons are concerned. Plenty of great Anime like this, though. I'd still watch it.

Adult humor: Very hit-and-miss, it can be hilarious (see Archer, Futurama, Metalocalypse) or not worth watching (South Park, Family Guy). If done well, I would certainly still watch it.

Violence, elements of grimdark, etc: Another thing you won't see much of in American cartoons these days, but again, plenty in Anime. You really need somebody who knows what they're doing to pull this off well. If it was, I'd still watch it.

When it comes down to it, a good show is still a good show. So if an Adult version of MLP was made and was a good show, I'd still watch it.