Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If MLP became adult-orientated, would you still watch it?

poniesforfun

If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?

• Yes
    • No

I highly doubt that I would watch it anymore if its theme turned adult-rated. I think the way the show was created is perfectly fine and adds to how great the show is. Honestly if they changed its theme especially now not as many people would watch it. The theme changed would not work well with mlp. That is just my take though....

I vote no, just because...well, if I wanted a show like the Simpsons or Family Guy, I'd watch Simpsons or Family Guy. There are so many different shows of that type (Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, etc.) that I think it'd just ruin the show. Not to say I'd stop immediately. I'd be willing to give it a chance, but...I wouldn't hold my breath.

No way! I love that both kids and adults can enjoy this show. There are too many cartoons that try to be hip and adult-oriented these days, and most of them are just aping what The Simpsons did much better in the 90's. The fandom more than picks up the slack for those who want to imagine the ponies in more racy scripts and situations.

A really interesting question! At first I was going to say no, here is why:

Being innocent on the surface allows MLP to deal with some emotionally complex dilemmas and social situations in way that everyone can understand. Many episodes have an underlying theme that can include some quite grown up topics such as racism (Bridle Gossip S01E09), and of course the viewer is challenged with all sorts of interesting inter-personal dilemmas and choices along the way.

Then Again:

By rewriting the shows content for adults only, it loses this ability to connect universally. However, the trade-off might be worth it if the adult version allowed the writers freedom to explore even more controversial and emotionally charged topics. I imagine keeping the humor - in an adult style similar to Friends, but with the show content dealing with some taboo subjects (such as gay marriage, family feuds, religion vs abortion etc etc).

Of course, this would be a totally different kind of MLP show and not the one we all know and love! The downside would be a western misconception that cartoons are only for kids ;) And this would make the adult version immediately less accessible to the adults it would target. But you never know, having experienced Simpsons, Family Guy etc etc, I suspect an adult version would likely acquire a fan base, but I reckon it would not be anything like it is now!

Edited by CyberFlash

Well, if it became an adult-rated show, that would kinda defeat the whole purpose of it. :(

MLP is great because it's the only kid show that is actually ENJOYABLE to watch. It would ruin the amazing affect it has on us if it were to have adult-themes. And like verypony else is saying, it's innocence just charms you! :)

Plus, I wouldn't watch it if it became like that. A perfectly good show, ruined? I think not. MLP is wonderful in it's own way without having adultish jokes and themes included. It's great just the way it is. I don't want any changes in it, or nothing.

No, My Little Pony is supposed to be meant for kids. It's supposed to be pure, happy, colorful, and cute, that's how it was meant to be.

I love My Little Pony the way it is now, I don't want it to change...

I'm an adult, but I watch MLP regardless of my age, and having an adult-themed MLP would scar my childhood if this was made. Then it won't be the same like any normal MLP shows, like adventures, humor, or even a bit of drama.

I went with no because the show has so much detail and thought put into it with a Disnesque charm to it for a little girl's show it really stood out. Even if they just make a spin-off series that is for adults in my opinion would ruin the name of the original show.

I think that a pg13 or r rated could be good with the proper writing and outsourcing but America just doesn't have a good track record when it comes to making adult rated content.

I would love to see some darker themes and possibly grey morality with some political violence.

Well, I will say it would make it a lot easier to show my friends the show, but really I'm kind of on the fence about it. On one hand, the show is already taking more mature themes on (season 3's pilot had the main villain die!), but like @ I also enjoy the innocence of the show. So that's a maybe.

There are certainly times when I am frustrated by some of the limitations to the storytelling, this is true. I surround myself in the fandom's works and in my own, much more mature thoughts and ideas about not only quality storytelling, but good worldbuilding as well. There are times when I expect more from an episode than it is actually able to deliver as a result of this, and it has occasionally resulted in my not enjoying episodes nearly as much as I might otherwise due to this disappointment. (Dragon Quest being by far the worst instance of this, as many who've been around for a long time can attest--I wasn't the least bit of a fan of the episode at first.)

But would I change the show to be more mature and adult themed?

Absolutely not.

Doing so would destroy so much of what makes it good. I don't think it'd be possible to bring in more serious conflicts without harming its good nature. Certainly I wouldn't want to elevate it to the level of full adult themed, particularly given how immature certain aspects of the forum are and how "adult themed" often tends to mean excessive(that is, any) toilet humor, or sex jokes, or otherwise things that would just not fit within the tone of the show in the least. We love these characters because they're able to richly live in a world that is...far more idyllic than our own, without being trite or saccharine or carrying connotations that behind the scenes lurks something far more grimdark. We don't need things like that.

We don't need our ponies to be sullied by our awful world. Our real world is dark enough as it is. Let us have a cheerful, lovely place like Equestria in peace and harmony.

I probably would, as long as the show isn't dumbed down, or if it became stale. I prefer the show how it is right now, sure the plot isn't that thick except for the 2 parters. But I personally wouldn't mess with it that much, if at all. The show is already catering to the older audience enough as is.

I think it would be cool if MLP FiM did the type of thing they did in early episodes of spongebob. Where they kind of have jokes only adults would get so that it doesn't damage the fact it's a kid's show but it still has references the older audience would get.

My little pony is meant for kids, if it was more adult-like, what's the point? I watch it for the lessons, the happiness, and other happy things. To cheer me up when i'm down. Adult-themed shows don't do that.

It would lose some of its charm, which is part of the appeal IMO. There are one or two under-the-radar "mature" references here and there, but for the most part it's an innocent show and should stay that way.

I think I would actually watch it once it gets past the obvious cliches of a cartoon. The whole idea of it loosing it's innocence is just stupid. This whole 'innocence' thing is people wanting to believe that. Just look at Spike and his bachelor party gag, the others obviously knew what it meant, not so innocent huh?

Hell to the no.

The main reason I enjoy MLP is the fact that it's entertaining while still maintaining a sense of innocence. I usually don't like the two part episodes, as they're more action than anything else, and I don't like it. Put in adult themes and everything is ruined.

Complex stories are where I turn to anime. MLP is where I let the kid in me turn alive and enjoy the simple things.

I agree with you, they are plenty of 'those' shows and ones with progressive story lines. In my opinion the innocence is one of my favorite things about MLP. I like it just the way it is.

• 9 years later...

It honestly would depend in the direction they were taking, if the show turned into something like Family Guy or Simpsons, probably not. 

However if it went in the route like say Fairytail or Fullmetal Alchmiest Brotherhood or even in a similar direction to the DC animated stuff like the Batman animated cartoons then yes I would still watch it.

• 2 weeks later...