Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Favorite War Films?

Party Cannon

I am not the only Brony that enjoys films of the war genre.

I want to know what YOUR favorite war films are.

I expect to see a couple Saving Private Ryan's. hehe.

Some can choose just one easily, while others have a small top list.

Now Band of Brothers and The Pacific I will exclude for this, as they are miniseries and not stand alone movies. (Personally, and I think many agree, that Band of Brothers is probably the most realistic and best visual telling of war, in that case WWII. It is an absolute favorite.)

My top favorites are:

Apocalypse Now [1979] (It may not focus on the war itself as opposed to the journey, yet is is such a damn good film all the way around with the best Huey scene ever that it counts)

A Bridge Too Far [1977] (This film to me is a perfect balance of realism and "Hollywood" glory. It shows the majesty and excitement of war, but also shows its horrors and futility.)

Zulu [1964] (I sincerely love this film, and never get tired of it.)

Kelly's Heroes [1970] (Realism or focus on war is not its purpose, but rather it is a great entertaining story. Though they are only mock ups, the Tiger I's in it are true stars of the show.)

Where Eagles Dare [1968] (Great espionage film. It's a great "maybe it could have happened" story.)

So tell me then, what are yours?

still-of-james-caan-in-a-bridge-too-far.

• Brohoof 3

I really liked The Hurt Locker, and Enemy at the Gates. They were insane movies, haha I can't wait for Zero Dark Thirty... I've heard it's something to really look forward to :o

• Brohoof 1

Anything to do with the war makes me cry, but I really loved A Bridge Too Far.

Saving Private Ryan also, but..makes me cry. Quite a bit.

I also recall watching Flags of our Fathers, which was pretty good, if I remember correctly.

• Brohoof 1

Oh cool! War movie!
My favorite is the Red Cliff. Both 1 and 2. It takes place in Chinese during the era of the Three Kingdom. It has a great and awesome battle tactics, and very colossal. The battle actions are interesting and WOW. I've heard that it's one of the most expensive war movie ever produced...in China maybe? I forget.

You guys may like it. The tactics are...my my. Just see it. :lol:

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

Hmmm so many good war films to choose from, as i watch quite a lot.

but just plucking a few from my list would be

The hurt locker 

full metal jacket 

jarhead

and i must agree with you on zulu, an amazing film.

but that's a few, i have more but can't think of the title's right now i may edit this if i think of more.

• Brohoof 1

Hhmm...where do I start?  I am sort of a war movie connoisseur, especially Russian war flicks.  lets see: 1612, Waterloo, Liberation, Winter War, Poltava 1709- The Sovereign's Servant, Yamato, The Admiral, The Star, 9th Company, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy At The Gates, Black Hawk Down, The Conqueror, My Way, The Red Baron, All Is Quiet On the Western Front, Zulu, Airborne's Creed, Pearl Harbor, Braveheart, Kingdom Of Heaven, Gladiator, King Arthur, Gettysburg, Gods & Generals, Downfall and a few others I cannot remember at this time. 

Massive Kelly's Heroes fan :)

And The Hurt Locker is one of those films I expected nothing from (being personally against the war) but which focused so well on the individual servicemen and the traumas they go through, I just thought it was a fantastic film!

From my youth, I loved Tobruk and Ice Cold in Alex, tho I don't know how well they've held up now, since I've not seen them since the 1970s

Where Eagles Dare and Force Ten From Navarone were always fun!

Cross of Iron and The Blue Max I remember as beiing excellent, but have never had any real desire to see again despite remembering them to be so good.

And I forgot Zulu!

Edited by Lupus

My all time favorite war film is Letters From Iwo Jima, a Eastwood masterpiece along with Flags Of Our Fathers. Der Untergang is also a international masterpiece. And Grave Of The Fireflies is the most powerful anime war film ever that I have watched.

Others include:

• Joyeux Noel
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Valykire
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Band Of Brothers TV series is also good
  • Das Boot
  • U-571
  • Patton
  • Flyboys
  • Red Tails
  • Winter in Wartime
  • Platoon
  • The Boy In The Striped Pajamas
  • Schindler's List
  • Tora! Tora! Tora!
  • Brothers
  • Empire Of The Sun
  • Barefoot Gen
  • Hart's War
  • The Pianist
  • Defiance
  • Miracle at St. Anna

Those are all my favorites so far..

Windtalkers and I'll take a stretch here with this second one, Inglorious Basterds. I'm not gonna mention every single war film I've seen  but yeah, those two are about the only ones that I can remember perfectly.

I really liked Enemy at the Gates, although the romance was kind of unnecessary. My favorite though, is Letters From Iwo-Jima; I haven't cried because of a movie since I was a little kid, but that one brought me really close. There's just so much death...

-Gettysburg

-Gods and Generals

and a movie of course where war was not the main point of the film.  but sort something that happens. and something that happened (the french revolution) Les miserables. 

• Brohoof 1

Ugh so hard to think about! I have alot of war vet friends through my church and me and them all agree that Clint Eastwood or John Wayne star in the best portrayals of war movies. I remember one of them said that he related to The Heartbreak Ridge since his marriage was nearing divorce due to him always being deployed

Does The Chronicles of Narnia count? :D

I'd probably go for Full Metal Jacket just because of how it depicts war as utterly pointless, which I completely agree with. Also, R. Lee Ermey is the world's biggest badass!

Did anyone at all mention Guns at Navarone? 

I did see The Hurt Locker, Jar Head, Etc.

But the Guns at Navarone...  Incredible movie. 

EDIT:  Don't know if this counts but Red Dawn (the first one, is the new one any good?).  That movie was retty good too.

Edited by Ian
  • Brohoof 1

Saving Private Ryan is my favorite war movie. I'd always watch it when I was sick for some reason.  Other war movies I liked are The Hurt Locker, Black Hawk Down, and Tears of the Sun.

- I bought Full Metal Jacket a while back, but never got around to watching it :blink:

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Bringing this back for Memorial Day weekend! Some of my favorites include:

Full Metal Jacket

U-571

Saving Private Ryan

Bridge Over River Kwai

The Great Escape

Das Boot

Valkyrie

All Quiet on the Western Front (the older version)

Black Hawk Down

Schindler's List

The Longest Day

Glory

Casablanca

Miracle at St. Anna

Platoon

Patton

Cross of Iron

^Yeah, I'm a big WWII movie buff.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

"Apocalypse Now" blew my mind when I first saw it.  I think I've honestly only watched the entire thing once, but it's stayed with me all this time.  I love the smell of napalm in the morning!  "Inglorious Basterds" was the film that - and yes, I was late to the party on this one - made me go, "Oh...  I guess...  Tarantino IS a genius after all."  And "The Hurt Locker" was friggin' intense.

(edited)

Downfall/Der Üntergang

Saving Private Ryan

A Bridge too Far

The Great Escape

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

The Hunt for Red October

Enemy at the Gates

Edited by GrauWitz
  • Brohoof 1

The 9th Company

The Star

Enemy at the Gates was good, but had several things that annoyed me.

Battle of the Bulge

Guns of Navarone 

The Fall of Berlin (1950 Film)