Does anypony even like the old generations?

Zach TheDane

I honestly haven't ever seen any other generation. I've heard the previous generation is just godawful (And not even aimed at us, so what's to expect?). I've heard the other generations aren't AS bad, but they're still not really written for us to enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

Personally no, but as for other people, I've heard people say G1 was a great series.  There is a pretty big agreement about G3 being terrible.

I agree. Personally, I love G1 because of their stories, but the art is horrible. G3 has cute art, but it lacks plots and storylines. G4 brings them together!

• Brohoof 4

I hear a lot of different comments on the old generations of My Little Pony, but none of them good. Does anypony out there even like the old shows? Personally, I can't stand them at all.

Different shows. It's one of the reasons there is so much stigma to liking the new show,  because of what it's been in the past.

Then again the easier answer to this question is just one word.

"seaponies"

*shudders*  I'm not sleeping tonight.

I watched a little bit of each and, well, it's not really funny, cute of complex.

G1 is pretty much as any other cartoons of that time. It actually reminded me of He-man. Which I don't particularly like either.

G2 is just bad. Not much to tell about it. Ponies living in your average US city and solving problems like how to tell X you like him.

G3 is kinda better, but still not very nice.

"G3.5" is... KILL IT WITH FIRE, FAST!

And all those generations... The ponies there just creep me out. If that was next to my bed, I would be never able to sleep again.

(just my opinion and you are fully entitled and justified to love any of the previous generations)

And overall, they don't really have much to do with FiM, apart from the name, character names and that the characters are ponies.

• Brohoof 2

RAINBOW DASH DOES NOT DRESS IN STYLE!

But other than that, if I relly had to choose something that's not FiM, it would be G1. From what I've seen, it had REALLY serious and evil villains which is pretty cool. Miiiight be enough for me to forgive the art style being poop.

And G3.5...it's actually pretty fun to watch. When there are other bronies commentating (or rather suffering) along with you.

Edited by Zacharias

I like generation 1 a lot, mainly because it had my favorite starters, and Team Rocket made their first appearence, and Mewtwo was boss...

Well I haven't seen much of G1, Tirrek does seem pretty cool, plus it has Firefly(whom I've alsp decided to call ProtoDash). And the idea of humans in this show doesn't feel very odd strangely enough

I'd also post my opinions on the older stuff, but they're very negative

Edited by Megas75

I don't love the other generations, but the one I have the most respect for is G1. Founder Bonnie Zacherle intended the franchise, both toys and animation, to be accessible for all-ages regardless of gender, and G1 fulfilled that vision. G2's toyline, G3, and G3.5 showed no respect for her vision, instead targeting to little girls only. G3 and G3.5 in particular ransacked them.

(edited)

Interesting... I had no Idea My Little Pony was originally intended for both genders. Growing up, I thought the toys and shows were STRICTLY for little girls. Everything about the franchise screamed shallow and annoying. It wasn't until I heard about bronies and FiM that I ever gave credit to MLP. Then I watched FiM and loved it! But the old franchise still gives me the creeps... majorly.

post-11325-0-17703700-1358206448.jpg

Edited by Zach TheDane

In my opinion, the older generations were pretty horrid and a little creepy. But back then, the show was actually aimed at little girls. (I mean little.) But the newer generation has great characters, humor, and structured storylines. The older gens were just a big mess.

I posted a thread/poll about this awhile back, and if I remember correctly, most people said the older ones sucked.

I like G1 and there are some episodes I find quite enjoyable.  Masquerade is my favorite G1 pony.  I haven't tried G2 but I doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.  For G3, it's so boring I usually don't bother to watch till the end.  G3.5 is just horrible in any way possible.

Well the thing is that the older series aren't quiet as aimed at others and are just aimed at children pretty mainly, however I've never watched the older generations, so I can't give any valid input, i've heard some people say G1 was good, I've even heard a couple who watched G3, which I don't really see myself ever even trying to watch seeing how girly it is.

I can't give any actual judgement on it before I've watched though, that kinda goes against the fact that I watched MLP and well thats been judged plenty of times :P.

I have seen some of G1 and while I don't like it nearly as much as I like G4 and there is moment or two that kind of makes me want to yak and the animation style is not that good for what it is it is actually a respectable show. I think its strongest point is it villains, they are seriously a lot darker than I thought they would be, Tyrek and Grogar especially it really makes me proud.

G4 has some awesome villains especially Discord but the closest we have to the kind of sadistic cruel villains that appeared in G1 is King Sombra and though he has a great deal of potential the way he was handled is very dissapointing. What I have seen of G2 is meh, but though I haven't seen a full episode the clips of G3 make my want to gouge my eyes out and chop my ears off. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely a child of more modern animation, though I'm part of a few fandoms with roots in the 80's. I've found on my journeys into the past that I do like a couple things about the animation and scripting in those days (one or two things I'd even say should have made it to the future), but most of it just doesn't appeal to me. I think typically you either associate it with your childhood and with the delight we've all had watching Saturday morning or after school cartoons, or it just looks awkward to you if you grew up away from it.

I rewatched several minutes of a G1 episode and I still think it's shrill and I don't relate to the characters like I do the ones in FiM, who we get to see much more variety from in even in episode one. The one that I think Rainbow Dash is taking the place of in FiM (Firefly or something?) was clearly meant to be more of the sporty and tomboyish type when her episodes were released, but I don't think she compares to Rainbow Dash when it comes to communicating that to viewers today.

Edited by Balamb

I remembering seeing some episodes of G1,  mostly because there was othing else on TV.I like about it was the villians, it's like the writers spent time on developing other characters instead of "main characters" mostly just to sell toys.

G2 was a poor experiment in making all the ponies teenagers (this was before Ben 10, Teen Titans, Danny Phantom, and other cartoons where the main characters are teenagers and face issues like any teen in real life). All the girls talk about boys and the boys talk about girls.

Thankfully I didn't watch G3 when the toyline was released (Which you can tell from watching the commecials). I watched an episode of Obscurus Lupa where she reviewd two straight-to-DVD features (it's a must see just for laughes).

Edited by Trekkard

G1 is tolerable to me, but then I have vague and distant memories of seeing it on tv way back in the 80s so I can nostalgia on that to a degree. The art stylings for G1 were typical for cartoons of the 70s and 80s (somewhat lumpish and rather unpretty when compared to the modern era where anime is king), but of course when you're 4 years old you don't know what good animation is, you just know that there are cute creatures going on magical adventures. I do recommend watching the G1 pilot episode Rescue at Midnight Castle however, its actually pretty grood overall, and Tirek is a badass villian.

G2 ehh, funny for some of the cliches and it does have a strong early 90s feel, which I enjoy.

G3 The one redeemer here I think is Minty. Minty is cute, funny, and likeable, and she was voiced by Tabitha St Germain and Tabitha looks back on voicing Minty fondly. I actually would like to see them bring Minty back in FiM

G3.5 ...we don't speak of that.

So, my answer is yes I do like the previous gens though they obviously don't measure up to FiM

Edited by Two-of-Hearts

I really never even watched the old generations (was too scared I would have to gouge my eyes out :P ) but seriously, I only saw like five minutes of the older generation and nearly got sick and quickly turned the channel :/

The one thing I liked about one of the older my little ponies was Spike , it was kind of neat to see him different than he is in the the current MLP.

That said I like the older generation toys of my little pony. I especially love G2 ponies , I think they look very elegant with their hair not a crazy length, they're a bit longer and have pretty eyes. I only have one at the moment but I'm hoping the lot I bought tonight will have some G2 ponies in there.