technology Older technology

Prismatic

Older technology  

37 users have voted

1. 1. Do you use older technology such as PDAs, computers, etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
  2. 2. Do you appreciate older technology?

• Yes because it (supposedly) works
    • Somewhat but it's too much of a limited purpose
    • Neigh
    • If it's about that Panasonic...

I'm basing this with both real life and online but I am just curious as to ponies stil using older computers and stuff (and even WIndows XP for all practical purposes).  Of course I'm typing this on a laptop that's at least 10 years old so go figure.  I have stuff newer than this but the nostalgic factor (as well as this particular laptop's "utility" factor which is more of a novelty and a good conversation starter) makes it more the all fun.

Then again my desktops tend to be better since I can work on them better than I can a laptop obviously.

Uhh, computers aren't old. I really do like older technology. It just fascinates me, both looking at /learning about it, and seeing how far we've come

• Brohoof 3

My OC

Stay pony my friends

"And ALWAYS remember...to never forget." - Someone who I'm sure has said this before I did

I love old technology, most older things are incredibly reliable. Look at old Nintendos and Genesis that still work, where Xboxes and PS3s tend to have a higher failure rate. Back then, it wasn't always about money, it was about making the customer happy. Not as old, but I still have VHS tapes with old episodes of Pokemon and Hamtaro on them. Ironically, they're still going strong, the picture and sound isn't as great (mostly since I was stupid and recorded in the lowest quality possible.) where some of my newer DVDs have broken or worn out.

I love watching videos online and learning about the old days. Its amazing to see the evolution from blocks to realistic 3d models.

"No, I am not going to run, I am not going to hide, I am going to take a stand and fight!"

Uhh, computers aren't old. I really do like older technology. It just fascinates me, both looking at /learning about it, and seeing how far we've come

I have a Tandy 1110HD somewhere in my room.  8086 10MHz, 640K base RAM and barely runs DOS 5...

What I was alluding to is that computers and Moore's Law (every 2 years the amount of availble computing power dubles; rumored to increase to three years as of this decade) means that technology rapidly outdates and slightly references those who throw things out for the sake of incremental upgrades.

Well, apart from your standard array of old consoles...

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, DSLite, Genesis, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP

I use a CRT HD television, which I love beyond words or measure, and which I think produces a far more beautiful picture than any LCD or plasma television I've ever seen. It's bloody lovely, even if it weighs over two hundred and fifty pounds. I also use a vacuum tube amplifier for my AKG k701 headphones, because tube amps are delicious.

I used to have a Commodore64. I still mourn it.

• Brohoof 1

Well...The laptop I'm messing with right now when properly configured weighs 11 pounds.  It might not seem much but over the course of a weekend at a convention it was a rather interesting workout.

I think what I forgot to add in my original post is that I'm referring to technologies that don't typically have any sort of upgrade path (i.e. consoles are kinda just MK I, MK II and MK III but don't usually feature any sort of enhancements).  More or less referring to computers and stuff that have an upgrade path physically (processors; models; etc.) or spiritually (Palm OS to WebOS).

I still have my old GameBoy Pocket and all but I think most of us would agree that those things you really can't upgrade'. XD

I am a massive fan of older tech. My main computer is getting close to the 10 year mark, and I have several computers which date from the 80's, all still in perfect working order. My clock radio is from the 1970's, one of the early digital models (And it has one hell of a speaker in it too, you could literally use it at a large party and hear it easily.) My TV - a CRT. Most of my movie collection is on VHS, and a good amount of my music collection is either on vinyl or cassette tape. I still frequently use floppy disks, and I definitely play my older games consoles (NES, Gameboy) more frequently than my (somewhat) newer ones. Up until sometime last year, I had a Palm Centro with PalmOS. (And its replacment, a Palm Pixi with webOS)

I <3 old tech.

Edited by Abstract

img-4349-1-img-4349-1-img-4349-1-2ikaxhc.jpg

"Let the steel of my resolve be not bested by the sum of my fears."

When I rerolled from Linux to Windows, I installed XP with no hasitation. There were already Vista&7, but I don't care; the newer versions seem just unpractical to me.

Try to try again

To see yourself again from time to time.

Hello!

The main purpose i use older technology, would be my Guitar amps. There's nothing like a good old Valve/Tube amp, for that classic sound. Modern Transistors, are far far away, from what a Valve/Tube amp can give you.

post-3479-0-21158300-1361549423.png

Thank you MatrixChicken for the Signature!

When I rerolled from Linux to Windows, I installed XP with no hasitation. There were already Vista&7, but I don't care; the newer versions seem just unpractical to me.

For me it's a cross between my laptops not supporting Vista and higher while on my newer ThinkPad (circa. 2006) that is even supported under 8 that XP is far less intensive in terms of resources and drive space.

On a random note I wish my Vectrex still worked.

I think old technology can be pretty cool, its nice to see where we have come from. I love old video game consoles of course, I would like to get a old computer one day to play with, thinking something 386 wise or maybe even an original 8086.

it's amazing what some people can accomplish with older technology, just for the sake of being able to do it.

Linux on a 8-bit AVR

http://dmitry.gr/index.php?p=./04.Thoughts/07.+Linux+on+8bit

Homebrew 6809 Computer

I love old technology. I guess you could say i collect it.... or just dont get rid of it. Its like looking at a time capsule. I love my old gaming consoles. I dust them off occasionally for a retro gaming session. I have N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Gamecube, Dreamcast etc. I had one of my nephews over and he picked up my Original Playstation and said "whats this?" I laughed so hard. I still remember when Flip Phones were "Cool" now you hardly see them. My computer is getting a little old but shes holdin on. I may reveal my age by saying this but i also still have the last Pager/Beeper i bought. I am progressive though. My mom however is stuck in the 1980's.

• Brohoof 1

y1J64uo.png

~Signature Awesomely Made By Frozen Mint~

My computer is getting a little old but shes holdin on.

My favorite laptops are a 586 and a Pentium III (about 800MHz).  Granted both are running well over manufacturer's recomendations in RAM capacites which does help them a lot.

I think the PSU on my computer is getting old because sometimes my computer wont turn on at all. I have to unplug it wait a few hours then maybe it will work. I dunno im not a tech wiz but i know its 7 years old and im told that thats the first thing to go wrong as a computer ages.

y1J64uo.png

I think the PSU on my computer is getting old because sometimes my computer wont turn on at all. I have to unplug it wait a few hours then maybe it will work. I dunno im not a tech wiz but i know its 7 years old and im told that thats the first thing to go wrong as a computer ages.

Most desktop power supply units tend to be that of a weaker grade in which the capacitors (same reason for motherboard failures) fail or burn out.  At that computer's age a nice 300 watt power supply shouldn't cost a whole lot (A good one maybe like $40 or $50).

Most desktop power supply units tend to be that of a weaker grade in which the capacitors (same reason for motherboard failures) fail or burn out.  At that computer's age a nice 300 watt power supply shouldn't cost a whole lot (A good one maybe like $40 or $50).

That's good to know. I hope to eventually save for a gaming computer but i cant afford a new one right now. Maybe when Christmas comes around again. Or my birthday in April ^_^

y1J64uo.png

Uhh, computers aren't old.

actually, computers are several hundreds of years old, if we're talking about basic ideas for programmable devices and such. more general purpose computers started coming up at around the 80's, so that makes the technology we use in computers some 30 years old.

KvTw2d6.png

Soundcloud---------Twitter---------Tumblr---------DeviantArt

I think I've got a Commodore 64 in a box somewhere...

I remember working on a Apple II once, when I was in high school. Oh, and the Unisys ICON system, that was amusing.

Do I use old technology? Yeah, I use stuff until it stops working. I only replace it when it can no longer do what I need it to do.

Mind you, I do historical reenactments a lot, and demonstrate old technologies to the punters. :)

ConsoleSig4.png

Certain older technologies are arguably better than the new. I use a mechanical IBM keyboard from the mid 1980's and people are still using these. They were built like freaking tanks! Sure, it doesn't look like much when you compare it to the BlackWidow razer ultimate, but I love the crap out of this keyboard and it was worth the $20 shipping.

I also view people who use older cameras with a lot more respect than DSLRs. I risk being called a hypocrite because I actually use a DSLR, but these guys are the true artists. Rather than simply uploading their pictures to their computer, they have to develop the film manually, and what they get out of the film is what they get.

There is no do-over if they screw up the lighting or chemicals, there is no editing to fix the picture in post, nothing. For that reason, I made it a rule for myself that I will not manipulate anything through post-editing except for simple exposure errors or cropping. Shoot your shot right the first time.

• Brohoof 1

actually, computers are several hundreds of years old, if we're talking about basic ideas for programmable devices and such. more general purpose computers started coming up at around the 80's, so that makes the technology we use in computers some 30 years old.

The Turning Machine hasn't been out for a hundred years yet.  Granted the 100th birthday of Alan Turing was celebrated last year.

That's good to know. I hope to eventually save for a gaming computer but i cant afford a new one right now. Maybe when Christmas comes around again. Or my birthday in April ^_^

I suppose it depends on what games you play.  I mostly play anything that ends with Craft that runs decently on a weak GeForce 8.

I had a

Palm Centro with PalmOS. (And its replacment, a Palm Pixi with webOS)

I still use a Palm IIIxe.

Certain older technologies are arguably better than the new. I use a mechanical IBM keyboard from the mid 1980's and people are still using these. They were built like freaking tanks! Sure, it doesn't look like much when you compare it to the BlackWidow razer ultimate, but I love the crap out of this keyboard and it was worth the $20 shipping.

I also view people who use older cameras with a lot more respect than DSLRs. I risk being called a hypocrite because I actually use a DSLR, but these guys are the true artists. Rather than simply uploading their pictures to their computer, they have to develop the film manually, and what they get out of the film is what they get.

There is no do-over if they screw up the lighting or chemicals, there is no editing to fix the picture in post, nothing. For that reason, I made it a rule for myself that I will not manipulate anything through post-editing except for simple exposure errors or cropping. Shoot your shot right the first time.

Ironically I have never had an issue with any IBM branded ThinkPad.  Now Lenovo ThinkPads on the other hand have not lived up to expectations.

Uhg... Old computers, old televisions... Old telephones... Arg... The number of times Iv had to fix my dads stuff...

He has a windows 98 computer... And I found an installation disk for windows 96...

He has a tv with the nobs and that old stuff... And a phone with the turn thingy...

Holy crap... But really... Back then it was the new hype XD

VHS is awesome, I loved recording stuff off of TV.  I still use a square TV and probably always will, to me TVs really don't need to get much bigger than 20 inches, the 32 inch one in my parents living room seems insane to me and there are much bigger ones than that.

I perfer hand drawn animation to CG animation, and I think the current gen of game graphics often looks really weird and creepy, especially the people.  I don't really like downloading things, I much perfer physical copies.  And I'll never play a game with other people online, it's in the room or nothing.  And I definetly perfer buttons to touch screens.

I really hate the word outdated, especially when its used to refer to genres of gaming such as turn based rpgs. 

To me, if something's good, it never becomes outdated, and if it's bad, it probably shouldnt've been made.

• Brohoof 1

I love you.