Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How broad is your vocabulary?

VelvetDivan

My score was 19,500 words. I guess that means I need to hit the books more often LOL. I can only think of one person (or pony) who can achieve a perfect score, so i'll let all of you figure out who it is that I'm referring to  ^_^

40,000 words. My vocabulary is pretty much made up of all the things I learned in school, and words that I learned on my own. Basically, I will not brag because I don't really have a reason to. So there you have it, 40k words.

I think a lot of the more esoteric words are antiquated terms that simply don't see much use these days.  I certainly wouldn't classify them as jargon; if the test had included jargon (whether medical, IT, or whatever) it would be biased towards people from those fields.

I meant this definition of jargon:

4.Speech or writing having unusual or pretentious vocabulary, convoluted phrasing, and vague meaning.

I have nothing against those with big vocabularies (and I'm certainly not jealous of it), I was merely stating that I see many of the words on the test as being superfluous is all. I'd find it difficult to use a word like valetudinarian in a conversation without sounding outlandish or pretentious.

Alright, I'll dive into some sort of English literature once I'm done with everything for now.

I've got the second to worst result here, and pretty much my only talent is supposed to be being able to learn languages fairly easily...

I am too indolent to take the evaluation of my competence in vocabulary. way to much clicking for me. I have a good grip on vocabulary and grammar but, where i am living right now i have to dumb down the way i talk.

**edit**

So i just finished the test. Turns out I didnt have to do that much clicking. After i finished i got an estimated vocabulary size 45,000 words. Am I smart?

No... one's vocabulary is not in direct relation to one's intelligence... knowing these words requires powerful memory granted, but just memory. Intelligence what be how you would use these words to gain the full effect youre after, perhaps even using primitive words. Its helpless being able to remember something but not being able to utilize one's knowledge. That falls down to basic intelligence. However there are of course many conflicts in the subject of intelligence, and there are quite frankly too many factors to account for, so I can't give you much more of a definite answer. Sorry :(

30,800.  I'll take it, though I honestly thought it would be higher.

Though there's definitely a difference between "I know exactly what that word means." and "I can intuit what this word means from the context of what's been written."

Even though I am a native English speaker I only got a measely 14,300 words. I think my intelligence is in figuring things out instead of remembering things (I'm an engineer). That score still makes me feel stupid though :(

Edited by Sam

Well, according to this site, I have a vocabulary of 18 000 words. But, what can be expected? In language there are simply too many differences such as location (American english or plain English) which would deter many people's results. I noticed that alot of the words used where actuall technical terms, and simple names, such as stirrup. In the nature of testing one's grammar, would someone really ask "what does stirrup mean?" No. A stirrup is an object, one would ask "what is a stirrup".They ould easily be considered the same question, but they're not. Ok, a stirrup is a foothold for cavalry, but what does the actual word mean? Such a thing can't be answered casually, let alone part of a poll to categorise people. Plus of course as mentioned in other comments, the test is biased towards those in particular proffesions, such as doctors, biologists etc.

I'm not native (Finnish), I've studied English in school for 9 years and I've spent one month in USA few years ago. The test says I  have a vocabulary size of about 16 600 words :3 I'm pretty happy with the result. What do you people think? Is that a lot?  :blink: I really don't know...

I've scored 15,000 words.

Meh, not bad. Not bad at all. After all, English wasn't my first language I learned and I'm only 13 so :P I used to take ESL but stopped like 8 years ago, but I still feel need to improve my vocabulary. I'm actually very proud of my score compared to the others around here :D

I'm dubious as to how accurate tests like these are. Nonetheless, I scored about 22,200 words. The average for my age is 21,416. So, depending on how much of a difference ~800 words make, I guess I'm above average? Hooray?

I got 31,500

Not a great score but well above the average for my age, I read a lot and enjoy the works of H.P Lovecraft, books are nearly 100 years old so the words are obscure ;)

13,600 words? Wut. And according to the age breakdown the average person of my age knows like 20,000 words?(I'm 15 btw if anyone wants to double check me :P.)

So much for thinking I had a "Broad" vocabulary. I feel alot stupider now :P. I guess maybe the test isn't super accurate but man..

I guess I suck at English kinda, but I'm pretty sure I know more vocab then most of the kids, Seriously most of the vocabulary we do I already know the words.

Oh well. I already have low self esteem :P, I guess a little lower can't hurt to much lol.

Edited by Zygen

I find this test difficult to trust, since just happening to know a couple extra obscure words can change your results by thousands.  It's also tough to tell if anyone in this thread cheated.   :ph34r:

Anyway, my result was 23,000.  I usually consider my vocabulary fairly large for my age.  I'm no Redd White, but people are often impressed by my articulacy.

The website said 30 500, and that's including educated guesses (when I've heard a word before, and I have an idea what it means by faint memory, context, or etymology, for example, assuming "duplicitous" means "being a copy of something else").

As proud as I am of my ever-expanding vocabulary, I often have to make compromises between prose and readability, as @silvadel said.  But, I sparingly go on for a paragraph which is just full of my most precocious synonyms, but I often backtrack and explain it later.

I got 16,000.

I didn't even know those last words were actually in the english language  :blink:  I read quite a lot, not that much, but more than anyone I know my age. Time for more books!  ^_^  :wub:

I had this test twice!

First time i was distracted, so i got 6600.

but in the second time, i was completely focus, so i got 9900!

Very good as Arabian guy who haven't spoke English for long time :P

P.S. I talk arabic everyday!

19,700. Man I'm bad. I just realized that I got 19,700. I thought I got 74,700. Oh well, I had my glasses off so I couldn't see. I'm not really advanced for my age.

Edited by ~DerpyWhooves~

7.510. I mean, not bad for a guy still in 8th grade, learning English. I haven't ever had trouble communicating with people before, and I speak English almost perfectly, and I have a neat English accent. :)

It'd be a pretty big stretch to call this accurate. Or, well, to trust in it. I still got 31,500, so I'm pleased enough.

Never thought myself to be particularly wordy... I know a lot of words, but I don't apply them a lot just because other people wouldn't know what the hell I'm on about. :P