Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your idea of love?

omran97

Yet what of the parents who love their children despite them not sharing their parents values? Ones whose vices tak center stage and bring grief or pain for their parents?

This may be more of an extreme for my arguement but I feel it makes my point. Whether it be violance, criminal activity, drugs, a disregard for authority, even trouble at school... maybe even all of the above. The fact remains here are examples of such a situation.

If this isn't "Unselfish Love", then I don't think we have the same definition. Where you love someone despite their flaws and vices.

I love ice cream.

See, the kind of love in question is romantic love. So that first part should resolve without complications.

It is not only a completely different feeling, but a different concept, too. Sibling love is different to romantic love. You often have no choice to really opt out of it.

Addressing the bold underlined italic: Where there is no choice, there can't exist selfishness. What's left is the cases in which you try to unselfishly love, well, anybody: for the sake of argument, it's anybody, because parents aren't the only thing receiving platonic love.

To love unselfishly means to be indifferent to that which one values. This is a contradiction in terms.

You cannot love somebody for their vices, but you can love somebody in spite of them. That assessment lies with the individual. It is not mine or yours to make. Where there is a value, there must be a valuer. Whatever I choose to love in spite of vices obviously has no vices that would completely undermine any values they might have because otherwise I wouldn't be loving them. Simple as that.

It's...finding yourself in someone else. It's really hard to explain.

I will just go ahead and say that this is the gist of what I'm rhapsodizing about in exhaustive length. There you have it, ladies and gentlecolts.

I would say, it's kind of hard to describe. Maybe it can be called "a feeling of extreme caring for one (thing or person)".

There's a couple different kinds of love though, things you would give your life for, and some that you just really like.

Well, we have an interesting (and tough to answer) question here. Love, in my belief, is not a feeling that defines one type of relationship, it exists as a spectrum that defines various relationships. Love can exist, obviously, in romantic relationships, but also between friends and family. Love is caring about the well-being and happiness of another individual, including putting that person's interests first to an extent and having a higher degree of empathy than you would with a stranger. Love is a point where you accept both the positive and negative elements of a person, though more extreme negative traits may remain hidden depending on the degree.

This raises the question of what separates love from lust. Lust is short-term, manipulative, and never truly satisfied, such as a lust for power, money, or, the most obvious, sexual pleasure, whereas love is tied more to contentment. When you love someone it is a long-term emotion, hard to truly eliminate, and seeks personal fulfillment through the other person rather than just using them

Parting thought: Love may be a selfish, but expression of love is not.

• Brohoof 1