Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your idea of love?

omran97

Love is hating a special someone considerably less than you have everybody else.

Lol, could you imagine?

There are many kinds of love.It's really hard to define the word because of all the things it encompasses. I think it boils down to a few points though. Loyalty, compassion, allegiance, pity, togetherness, acceptance, and trust. All probably intensified.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Love is thinking about others before you think about yourself. Even to the point of laying down your life for the person, this is the greatest form of love.

:3 

Love makes me think of the Bruno Mars and Jaeson Ma song Love 

Edited by The Leafeon Pinkeh
  • Brohoof 1

First, I like how the entire first page was dedicated to Haddaway.

Second, Madoka Makusu I am pretty sure you didn't do that right unless I missed something.

And for me, love is most essentially when one party is willing to confide in and trust in another without expecting that a problem will arise from making themselves vulnerable. I've come to think that is the basis of most positive relationships, believing in your ability to connect to another on a level that won't personally hurt you, and being able to weather the inevitable messups and failures.

Love is a wonderful and powerful emotion, I think that love is where couples find trust in each other where they can coincide even when they have their fights.

How do I define Love? I can't give an easy answer, but I guess you could find one possible interpretation in the video below.

Here's what Doug Walker in character as the Nostalgia Critic has to say about the difference between Love and Friendship using the "relationship" between Sam and Frodo from Lord of the Rings as an example. This video is called "Top 11 Dumbest Lord of the Rings Moments"

Start from 21:31, watch through 25:06, and keep an open mind as Doug explains

So, I can see Doug's point and stand by it. But what about the rest of you?

How do I define Love? I can't give an easy answer, but I guess you could find one possible interpretation in the video below.

Here's what Doug Walker in character as the Nostalgia Critic has to say about the difference between Love and Friendship using the "relationship" between Sam and Frodo from Lord of the Rings as an example. This video is called "Top 11 Dumbest Lord of the Rings Moments"

Start from 21:31, watch through 25:06, and keep an open mind as Doug explains

So, I can see Doug's point and stand by it. But what about the rest of you?

I can't watch the video at the moment 'cause I'm at work, but I will say this: it doesn't seem like Love and Friendship are really comparable. Love is, very simply put, an emotion, while Friendship is a type of relationship. So to me, comparing Love with Friendship seems like comparing a steak dinner with the concept of salty flavor. Love ought to be the foundation of a friendship, even if it's not the same as a romantic relationship. But even a romantic relationship, in my opinion, ought to have a solid friendship as its foundation, and everything else is extra.

Lust

Romance

Care

Commitment

The best love is a combination of all of these.

My main issue with making sexual attraction (lust) or romance part of the definition of Love is that neither of those is really reliable. If I end up being married for 70 years, chances are there will be days when I just don't find my wife sexually arousing, or when I just don't feel romantic interest in her. But that shouldn't have any impact on my love for her. If my Love is in any way reliant on lust or romance, it's not going to be very sturdy.

I can't watch the video at the moment 'cause I'm at work, but I will say this: it doesn't seem like Love and Friendship are really comparable. Love is, very simply put, an emotion, while Friendship is a type of relationship. So to me, comparing Love with Friendship seems like comparing a steak dinner with the concept of salty flavor. Love ought to be the foundation of a friendship, even if it's not the same as a romantic relationship. But even a romantic relationship, in my opinion, ought to have a solid friendship as its foundation, and everything else is extra.

My main issue with making sexual attraction (lust) or romance part of the definition of Love is that neither of those is really reliable. If I end up being married for 70 years, chances are there will be days when I just don't find my wife sexually arousing, or when I just don't feel romantic interest in her. But that shouldn't have any impact on my love for her. If my Love is in any way reliant on lust or romance, it's not going to be very sturdy.

Lust or not, it's still love. It's just not as good. ;)

Lust or not, it's still love. It's just not as good. ;)

But see, the problem with that is that if love is "just not as good" without lust, then on those days when my wife just doesn't turn me on, I would love her less. As I said, if Love is at all reliant on lust, it's not very strong. It is my belief that Love needs to exist independent of sex and romance. Sure, it's nice if it involves those things, but if it depends on them to any extend, it's shaky at best.

But see, the problem with that is that if love is "just not as good" without lust, then on those days when my wife just doesn't turn me on, I would love her less. As I said, if Love is at all reliant on lust, it's not very strong. It is my belief that Love needs to exist independent of sex and romance. Sure, it's nice if it involves those things, but if it depends on them to any extend, it's shaky at best.

I think it depends on a mix of those things to at least get started. If you were never at some point sexually attracted to someone, a romantic relationship is doomed to failure.

• Brohoof 1

I think it depends on a mix of those things to at least get started. If you were never at some point sexually attracted to someone, a romantic relationship is doomed to failure.

Mayhaps. But even a marriage doesn't always have to be romantic. A spouse ought primarily to be your best friend, with sexual and romantic partner being in addition to that friendship.

(edited)

A bunch of chemical reactions in your brain forcing you to reproduce.

Love is not all about sex. I find that statement to be such a nihilistic and self defeating view on life and our connection to what makes us human.

We're human ,not machines

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 1

Love is not all about sex. I find that statement to be such a nihilistic and self defeating view on life and our connection to what makes us human.

Yeah... Not everyone believes in the same thing.

(edited)

Yeah... Not everyone believes in the same thing.

Well be logical here.....Did a chemical type out "Yeah... Not everyone believes in the same thing."? Or is it a person? It's a person.

Go to any neuroscientist and they will tell you that chemicals in the brain have very little to do with consciousness and neuronic activity. Neuroscientist don't know the brain yet. Your brain/mind are not the same. It's not like the genome of DNA. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

Love is when you can't ever hate someone, forever. It's when you can't ever hate someone and you never hated them. Love is when you get that tingly feeling in your stomach when you look at someone...special.

• Brohoof 1

Well be logical here.....Did a chemical type out "Yeah... Not everyone believes in the same thing."? Or is it a person? It's a person.

Go to any neuroscientist and they will tell you that chemicals in the brain have very little to do with consciousness and neuronic activity. Neuroscientist don't know the brain yet. Your brain/mind are not the same. It's not like the genome of DNA. 

Hmm... I've never really thought about it that way. I guess I'm just skeptical about what true love is since it's hard to find nowadays, with people cheating on each other constantly. But I guess true love is somewhere.

Hmm... I've never really thought about it that way. I guess I'm just skeptical about what true love is since it's hard to find nowadays, with people cheating on each other constantly. But I guess true love is somewhere.

Humans essentially aren't human anymore man. That's the entire thing. Humans are becoming more dependent on technology and lost their innocent nature. $cience has killed billions in 100 solid years and has done little to save the lives of people and advance ourselves further. There are good people out there man. You're more than your body and even if you don't agree with me. Human beings are valuable and we live in a world that devalues what it means to be human.