Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you watch MLP if it were for boys?

Wittypotato

29 users have voted

1. 1. Would you watch MLP if it were gender-flipped

• Yes.
    • No.

My question is, if the entire cast of MLP switched genders, (Spike and Big Mac girls, pretty much everyone else guys) would you continue watching it, Would you watch it more? Less?

EDIT: Allow me to change this slightly, Assuming the essence of the show remained the same along with animation, some genderflipped plots, (eg: Male Rarity making suits instead dresses,) and most staying exactly the same. the character personalities would still be anywhere from mostly the same, to drastically different either (Male Rarity might still making clothing, but Male Fluttershy might not be shy)

Would you continue watching it?

I would. While the adorability factor goes down, the relatablility goes up.

Edited by Wittypotato

No, I like how the characters are now. If they change them, then the entire show will change. Plots, personalities, conflicts. All of it would be different. I liked MLP the way it was before, let's keep it that way.

Edited by Commander Urdnot
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly, I couldn't say. I would have to see it before I could even fathom an answer. It definitely wouldn't be the same, but I can't say I would or wouldn't watch it. It would depend on if it were still good or not. I don't honestly care about intended demographics; I'll watch anything if I think it's good.

Edited by Clover Heart

I'd probably still watch if it was intended for boys. I'd still break demographic barriers because of how the show was created, as long as it follows the same concept with MLP and leave the graphics as is. However, if adorability is sacrificed, then I'm not certain as to how it will affect my interest in the show. (because I kinda prefer action xD).

• Brohoof 2

Well, I love the characters just the way they are and having them suddenly gender-flipped would probably eliminate a huge part of the show I like. Although I'm not sure whether it'd be more socially acceptable... they'd still be ponies after all.

As Commander said, we have grown to love these characters for their personalities, their designs, their backgrounds, and their everything, and suddenly changing their gender and the problems they face, which would have a huge effect on the show, wouldn't make it better for me.

i honestly wouldn't mind but don't get me wrong how it is now is great as it was said the plot, personalities ect. are great and amazing as they are but if it was for boys i'd still watch it out of curiosity and probably like it, like i do with MLP.

One of the main things that I love about the show is that it destroys pointless gender boundaries like that. Personally, I love cutesy stuff but the majority of the fan base being males shows that just because something seems 'girly' it doesn't mean it should be gender specific. So, it they tried to market it towards a male audience specifically, I can guarantee that it would lose the majority of it's charm, humor, and character, so no, I would not watch it.

• Brohoof 1

Excuse me (TABLE FLIP) no... im sorry but I could not bring myself to watch it if it was all teh sudden flipped around too many, many i say! But what i am trying to say is that taking the Plot line and swithing it around would prolly ruin the show plus the gruff voices would be too much for my ears to take...

Edited by Arcticbloom

so this http://friendshipismagicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_is_Magic_Colt_Version

where they are all practically the same pony  and the story will be the same thing

except

• now for every female there is 4 male instead of the one male for every 4 female huh.png
  •  rarity's male version Elusive is a tailor instead of a dress maker 
  • gay couples instead of lesbian couples
  • calling them bro report instead of friendship reports i guess

i see no difference in anywaytongue.png

I think adorability for relatablility and social acceptance is a fair trade.

What are your thoughts?

I think the opposite, and then some. Just because we're guys doesn't mean that we are unable to relate to problems girls face, besides for the obvious (girls and guys have different parts). If you go deeper, you would realize that the entire show would be different if it was directed towards guys. The characters would be ridiculously different than how they are now, which would be terrible. I'm not going to explain everything, and there are many more ways the show would be different, but I want you to just think about it a little. 

Also, social acceptance is insignifigant. By God, if I want to watch a television show that contains cute ponies and is directed towards girls, I can if I want to. A lot of people, including me, don't care in the least what other people think of us. Idiots can judge us for liking a children's show if they want, but it doesn't change how I feel or what I do.

The animation of the show is why a lot of people joined the bandwagon. For me, it was a pull factor as well. Most of us can agree that the girl ponies are much more adorable than the guy ones. I really enjoy the cuteness. Therefore, I wouldn't like it nearly as much if most of the ponies were guys.

• Brohoof 1

I think the opposite, and then some. Just because we're guys doesn't mean that we are unable to relate to problems girls face, besides for the obvious (girls and guys have different parts). If you go deeper, you would realize that the entire show would be different if it was directed towards guys. The characters would be ridiculously different than how they are now, which would be terrible. I'm not going to explain everything, and there are many more ways the show would be different, but I want you to just think about it a little. 

Also, social acceptance is insignifigant. By God, if I want to watch a television show that contains cute ponies and is directed towards girls, I can if I want to. A lot of people, including me, don't care in the least what other people think of us. Idiots can judge us for liking a children's show if they want, but it doesn't change how I feel or what I do.

The animation of the show is why a lot of people joined the bandwagon. For me, it was a pull factor as well. Most of us can agree that the girl ponies are much more adorable than the guy ones. I really enjoy the cuteness. Therefore, I wouldn't like it nearly as much if most of the ponies were guys.

I recently edited to better convey my thoughts. The only real difference would be their genders and yes, it does bring the cuteness down a bit but the animation would remain the same. For the social acceptance not everyone can handle their interest being trampled on, even by 'idiots'. It really hurts when someone you trust calls 'girly', 'faggot', or 'retarded' because you like something intended for girls, I've been on the receiving end and tried to ignore it but its really humiliating hearing it from a friend or family member.

I said yes but only because of what I know now. If the showed had been designed like that then there's no way to determine now if I would have chosen to watch it. It's just an IF question. We can only guess what would happen. Additionally, I doubt that a show like that would ever make it to the tv in the first place which just makes it harder to imagine. 

If it was truly the only difference was the gender of the characters, with their personalities remaining identical and the stories remaining the same... then what exactly changed? The heads become squarer and they get male voices?

The point of gender-swapping is to see how the personalities shift with the gender, if it's a minor shift or a major one. If there is no shift at all, then why is it even relevant?

• Brohoof 2

If it was truly the only difference was the gender of the characters, with their personalities remaining identical and the stories remaining the same... then what exactly changed? The heads become squarer and they get male voices?

The point of gender-swapping is to see how the personalities shift with the gender, if it's a minor shift or a major one. If there is no shift at all, then why is it even relevant?

Okay, fair enough

*sigh* I have to change the poll again.

You're right though, there should be at least some change. I'd chalk it up to experiences

I dunno, I think the show would be rather different.  Or at least, the perception of the show would be rather different.  Rarity, for instance, would be perceived in a different way if she was male.  Same for Fluttershy, or even Rainbow Dash.  I think that as a society we're not comfortable yet enough with seeing such a broad spectrum of masculinity/femininity among guys.  As a society, we're still not comfortable with the idea of guys being "girly" or being in a "girly" show.

I think that because society in general has already expanded on what's considered acceptable female entertainment (it's okay for girls to be into guys things, or girls to be in a male profession, but not the other way around)I think it makes it more of a challenge to write a show from the other side like this.

• Brohoof 1

My question is, if the entire cast of MLP switched genders, (Spike and Big Mac girls, pretty much everyone else guys) would you continue watching it, Would you watch it more? Less?

EDIT: Allow me to change this slightly, Assuming the essence of the show remained the same along with animation, some genderflipped plots, (eg: Male Rarity making suits instead dresses,) and most staying exactly the same. the character personalities would still be anywhere from mostly the same, to drastically different either (Male Rarity might still making clothing, but Male Fluttershy might not be shy)

Would you continue watching it?

I would. While the adorability factor goes down, the relatablility goes up.

You have a good imagination but thinking logically even if it was gender flipped would it make an impact? would boys want to watch it? say if it was flipped at the start... would there be bronies?

You have a good imagination but thinking logically even if it was gender flipped would it make an impact? would boys want to watch it? say if it was flipped at the start... would there be bronies?

On paper it wouldn't make a difference, but in all reality I think the fanbase would shift. Obviously you wouldn't be restricted by the 'boys can't like girly things' social norm and more boys would be willing to give it a chance. I'm not certain about the bronies, I like to think we'd all still be here.

Hello!

I had to vote yes, even if i'm not 100% sure... I'd really need to see the show before making any decisions... I would still most probably watch it, but again, i'm not 100% sure...

I think it would make a huge difference for some characters while others could fit in this role pretty well. I mean, how much people thought Rainbow Dash was a guy for a while? The fact that she is tomboyish makes it easier to imagine her as a guy, and the R63 of Rainbow Dash wouldn't change much.

Twilight and Applejack, even thought they are more "girlish" than RD could easily survive the switch without too much changes.

Now, Rarity and Pinkie Pie could be switched too, but that would require a few more changes to their character. But I can't really imagine how Fluttershy would look like as a guy. I am aware that this is stereotypes and all, but Fluttershy's character seems suitable pretty much only for girls. Then again, I could be mistaken and realize how awesome Flutterdude could be.

I would definitively watch it because I watched MLP beforehand, but I have yet to see how the Colt 6 will look like before making my mind about it. Can't say I would love it or hate it right off the bat.

• Brohoof 2

A show about male ponies intended for males?

Well, yes, I would like the show to have a much larger male cast that isn't intended to insult my gender, (Snips and Snails? WTF, writers?) even if it's just some minor characters or a herd of background ponies. However, a cartoon about ponies, intended for boys? It sounds very strange, but liking horses aren't just limited to females, right? I guess it's just been done so many times to appeal to a female audience, that doing it for a male audience just sounds... strange.

I voted "No." in the poll, even though I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by Mars Brown

If the overall quality of the show was as phenomenal as it is now, of course I would continue to watch it. After all, we all started watching this show because we genuinely thought it was good. Why should a gender-switch change that?

But if the show became absolutely pointless and idiotic because of the change, why would any of us want to watch it anyway? It's all a question of the quality! 

I honestly don't know

A part of me wants to say no because for me some characteristics work only because we see them in the characters we already m iw and it seems hard to just put those said characteristics into male versions of themselves.

However I am an open minded guy so if something did come out I would give it a chance, but for me the show works best with female lead characters.

Okay, fair enough

*sigh* I have to change the poll again.

You're right though, there should be at least some change. I'd chalk it up to experiences

The question is valid, it's just the restrictions on it that went into weird places. :) Especially since a lot of repliers here so far aren't really paying much attention to the restrictions you put on it.

I think part of the problem is that if the genders were swapped, you would have gotten a different media reaction (and in media I'm including all the bloggers and internet forums of various types), such that if it was still 'good', it would have gathered a different audience.

The brony phenomenon was basically kicked off because of an article that complained about how animation was going back to corporate-driven drivel instead of the 'creator-driven' focus it had been enjoying, and used the upcoming MLP show as the primary example. The article talked about how it was aimed at girls alone in the most stereotypical manner, as well having hidden gay and racist themes. A lot of people checked out the show to see what this person was talking about, and got hooked, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, etc.

Now if that article was almost the same, but instead of how stereotypically girly it was instead it talked about how the franchise was abandoning MLP's traditional female focus, instead becoming a sausage-fest and how horrible the show creators were for eliminating 'the only female refuge' in the boy-dominated animation market... it would have been a completely different group of people checking it out thanks to curiosity, and maybe getting hooked. Probably a large adult *female* fanbase would have been created and remarked upon, because the male would have been assumed.

• Brohoof 1