Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

High School Bronies

TyHopkinson

Hello everypony! Now, as everyone knows, high school is the number one destination for judgemental people and being a brony, that could be devastating to ones self esteem and confidence. Frankly, I really couldn't care less about what people think of me because to be the best you can be, you gotta be yourself. I've always avoided following trends and now we reach the present. Today, some friends of mine actually told me they are fans of the show. Its great to be in high school and have a group of friends who understand you for who you are. So my question after insane amounts of rambling is this. How many bronies are in high school and how do you react to haters and judgemental people? Cheers!

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

oh i feel you bro, im a sophmore, an you have to agree with me when i say that there are places where you cant admit to being a brony in public, mostly because of .......those people, you hearing me

Edited by Staticthor Draconus

Yeah i hear you. I don't really know if ive ever met someone who has a problem with me being a brony. Which is great since I wear pony merch sometimes at school. It could be that they probably don't know what bronies are and just shrug it off. Thats my theory at least.

I'm a freshman in high school. I, frankly, don't care if anyone thinks I'm "awkward" or a "nerd" if I watch Mlp. I take those words as a complement. In my mind those words mean unique and original. My best friend also watched Mlp (I'm trying to get her to watch it.) I'm trying to recruit bronies so I could talk about it with other people....... Or recruit a brony army whatever.

• Brohoof 1

Being a closet Brony, and going to a high school in the south United States where stereotypes are invented, I have never showed off my Bronyism to anyone in my school.  None of them are Bronies either.  Kind of sucks, but I've only got 2 more years til I can go to college; where the same thing will probably happen for 4 more years.  But hey, after that I can get a job and move out.

Thank goodness I only have about a month and a half left of high school. :B I've been a brony since I was a sophomore and really haven't had too many problems with judgmental people. The worst thing was a former friend of mine looking down on me, but that ranged far beyond ponies...

I've been fortunate enough to know a handful of bronies who I can talk to about the show. Generally I keep to myself about the show unless I have a reason to start talking about it. Most people don't bother me about it when I wear my MLP shirts and whatnot. I've only ever gotten compliments. I usually just avoid talking about it to anyone who would give a me grief for it, and since many of classmates leave me alone anyway, I usually don't have much of a problem.

I'm open about being a brony and I've met other people who also watch MLP at my school. At my school, you don't get made fun of for being a brony. Hell, I've gotten more shit from other people because I listen to Cannibal Corpse, they think I have necrophilia and other weird fetishes.

I'm a sophomore in high school and I recently came out about being a brony by wearing a WWAPD shirt. It was less of a "shit hits fan" effect that I expected, and more of a "break the news to everyone you've ever met" effect.

As for haters, they're pretty much non-existent at my school, except for one kid that keeps telling me I'm gay, though it's much more lighthearted than hateful.

People in my school know what bronies are, they also know I am one. Some dissaprove, some think it's a bit odd. But no one actually says anything bad to me. I love the show, the fandom and I like to express that. I wear pony merch, I have toys on my shelves in my bedroom and no one really ever says anything (Except my brother, he jokes about the toys a lot, but he's awesome.)

Most people at my high school just don't care, then again, I am within a different "section" of classes due to the fact I am in the "Pre-Engineering" program, thus I tend to be with people of higher intelligence and thus less judgmental, but there are still a few who judge, as to be expected.

I am Sophomore right now in Seattle WA. Since I go to a prep-school I'm not given much crap about it. I know 3 other bronies out of the 400 students at my school so a good number. I just get little attacks and I disregard them. The worst I got was an art-piece of a T-Rex eating Rainbow Dash (And It was gory and all), well thats coming from the guy whos goddamn obsessed with Dinosaurs. :P

There's only one that I'm aware of and I'm honestly too shy to approach her. My school is also 60% rednecks so it is legitimately dangerous to be too different. Someone got their shoe lit on fire for defending a gay person against a redneck. Hard to believe, I know. I didn't believe it when I heard it until I asked my school resource officer about it. I bucking hate my school.

Hello everypony! Now, as everyone knows, high school is the number one destination for judgemental people and being a brony, that could be devastating to ones self esteem and confidence. Frankly, I really couldn't care less about what people think of me because to be the best you can be, you gotta be yourself. I've always avoided following trends and now we reach the present. Today, some friends of mine actually told me they are fans of the show. Its great to be in high school and have a group of friends who understand you for who you are. So my question after insane amounts of rambling is this. How many bronies are in high school and how do you react to haters and judgemental people? Cheers!

I'm not an open Brony myself, as I sit very high up my school's social hierarchy due to being a 'jock', and I don't want to blow my social status out of the water by saying I'm a brony and get knocked down to the level of undesirable with the other openly Brony guys at my school (who I actually am a bit weirded out by, and couldn't see myself hanging with under any circumstances) Due to that, I keep a very low profile regarding my liking of MLP, and although I try not to let my friends pick on the bronies simply for being bronies, I tread a fine line. My school isn't known for its caring and loving atmosphere, so its better to be on top than the target, easily!

Edited by Windy Runner

I'm a sophmore and I became a brony right before my freshman year. I've grown quickly into an open brony because I don't care what people (haters) think. I really don't get picked on at all, I was always picked on from Elementary school up until 7th grade (where it was worst). All my friends don't mind, my dad is cool with it, he doesn't want me buying much merchandise because he's just protecting me from people that will see me the wrong way. He told me, "Do I think it's weird? Yes. Am I going to stop you? No. If you like it then enjoy it."

As for school sorry to get off topic, I have brony friends at my school. Whenever I stumble upon someone with a pony shirt I just tell them, I love the shirt and they say thanks. But really my friends don't seem to mind at all.

I started Online schooling this year as a freshman and so far it feels like a safe haven from haters and trolls. I did not leave because of bullies, but it was a pro when deciding (I left because of my poor memory). My favorite part of the online school is almost no more drama. No friends to turn on you (doesn't mean no friends completely), no fighting, no arguing, no bullies obviously, and to be honest, this list could go on and on. There are still things I miss from public schooling, but as long as I get my education, I'll do it. It has some wonky hours, but so does public schooling.

I'm a sophomore in a private highschool. Only my closest friends know I'm a brony. As for the internet, I simply say "I can understand where you're coming from. But why waste your time on a video that you hate if you could've done something productive or at least beneficial to you in any way."

there used to be a few haters on my friends that watched the show, at the time i had never watched it, but when i started to watch MLP, people stopped bothering us. even wearing pony t-shirts at school, people don't say much, and if they do, i choose not to care. because they just dont know the magic of friendship! (and come on, bronys, the ones i know anyway are the coolest group around!)

It took me a couple of months, but I finally realized it: I am "that guy" that fanboys waaaay too hard. 

At first, I kept it to myself. I don't nose around in other people's business, so why should I bother them with my likes?

Then a couple people found out and I started being open about it. If someone asked I'd be like, "Yeah, I guess I am" and move along. 

THEN I realized that most people know, especially once I started wearing my Derpy mailbag to school. Now I try to slip it into conversation everywhere I go.

High school is too short of a time to worry about being popular or liked by everyone. I'm going to get an education, have fun, and enjoy myself in the company of friends. Nuts to whoever thinks that me watching MLP is silly or makes me homosexual. 

while I am no longer in high school, I have a very simple veiw of dealing with judgement. I don't let their opinions affect me. If they like me, cool if not, then so be it, but I wont let it bother me. If they have a issue on what shows i watch, then they have their priorities messed up, and it isn't my problem. I don't care what they say, their words are worthless if they are trying to tell me I am *insert insult here* because i watch ponies.

"Cool story bro. ^.~" is normally my responce.

I've only been in high school for one term (I was put into school late, not held down XD) and since I haven't told anybody about my brony-ness, I don't know much about the haters irl. I did know (well, kind of knew) another brony at my school, but he constantly screamed things about Pinkie Pie ruling the world and him getting Fluttershy to murder everybody. He wasn't being trying to be funny. Needless to say, I kept my distance. Everybody else hated on him, but I didn't try to intervene. I know, Love and Tolerate, but I couldn't talk to that guy. He got violent... A lot. :/

That place was scary....

Well, I'm starting a new term at a different high school now. :) Hopefully I'll be able to meet some bronies there. I'd love to talk to one irl. :D

Im a freshmen so im automacticallly bullied.As for ponies, theres alot of bronies at my school and most of my friends are bronies so it isnt too hard to deal with haters.I get strange looks in the halls when i wear a shirt or something but thats about.I remember someone in my theater class saw my twlight backround on my phone and say he didnt really get the appeal.Then again, he pronounced giraffe 'g-raffe'.

• 10 months later...

4 including me and possibly a teacher it was very funny finding out about my teacher (all of the kids i converted myself) i lost my pony memory stick and was scared as buck that someone would find it turns out the teacher who found it likes to go through them to find out who's they are and said to me "be careful with that wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hooves" *wink* *wink*

Now that I'm nearing graduation, all I can say is, dang, I'm going to miss high school so much! I had a lot of fun, made a ton of great friends, and good times were had by all. Almost every amazing memory I have is from the last two years of high school. (Underclassmen don't have much fun because they don't have cars and its harder to get out and have shenanigans, and I was no exception to that rule. But my Freshman and Sophomore years weren't bad, they just weren't incredible.) 

(edited)

Very few bronies are in my high school.  Most of the bronies here seem really weird.  Anti-bronies make up the majority of the school population, and even I pretend to be one.  One of my friends could be a brony since he seems to have an oddly vast knowledge of MLP, despite acting like an anti-brony.  If anyone has any methods of confirming someone is a brony without needing to say that you are a brony yourself, feel free to tell me.

Edited by abct8
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not closed off about being a Brony at all :D I'm proud of it, and I even wear shirts and carry one of my plushies around with me :D

I'm also a bit of a loner; I don't associate with too many other people in my school, and I keep to myself for the most part. I do that by choice, though; fuck the other kids in my school. They can bite me. I'm not shy, I just dislike them :P So I don't face too many problems with it because I slip under the radar for the most part :D I was catching a lot of hell for it at first, though, but that's died out for the most part :D