Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

The Force Awakens: I clapped, I laughed, I was blown away... and I cried. I cried so hard! I cried harder than I ever have over any fictional story! The story is fantastic, and so well written I don't even mind that a few of the scenes rehash from the OT a bit. The effects were absolutely flawless, I couldn't find a single thing I disliked about them even if I tried. I guarantee, the trailers and TV spots only show 10% of what's there! Absolutely lives up to the hype, I guarantee it!

10/10 

Really the only major problem I have with it is the concept of Kylo Ren. It's not anything to really ruin the movie for me, and it's more a personal nitpick than anything that ruins the character... 

MAJOR SPOILERS beyond the threshold:

I like Kylo Ren's characterization, I really do. I like that he shows a lot of Anakin Skywalker in him. I like that he has major anger issues, and trouble controlling his anger, and I can see why Luke would consider himself a failure for not being able to correct this in Ben Solo. I love how they made Adam Driver resemble Anakin. His appearance echoes that of Anakin Skywalker, just with a bit darker color pallet. His attitude echoes that of Anakin Skywalker. His ambition echoes that of Anakin Skywalker. It's great characterization. But, the problem I have with "Ben Solo" isn't his characterization, it's this: fHcFF1J.jpg He's not original. Like, at all. It's not enough to really ruin the character for me (in fact, Adam Driver's nose stands out more than Kylo Ren's character origin), but it's still troubling just how much of the EU they used to create this character. He's basically Darth Caedus (Jacen Solo), with the name of Luke Skywalker's son (Ben), placed into the character design of Darth Revan.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 3

I also went and saw the Force Awakens.  This is the darkest that Star Wars ever went, and in my mind, there's no going back to the light side of Star Wars.  It felt alot like a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie(Like Guardians of the Galaxy or the Avengers) and I knew J.J. Abrams did a GREAT job with it.  The force is strong with him.

• Brohoof 3