Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Staffer!

NewCalamity
Message added by Simon,

Heads up: this thread is to ask whatever sorts of questions you may have to staff, but this is not the right place to give actual feedback or more serious questions for the staff. Anything posted here is subject to receive a silly response!

To send the site positive or negative feedback, try making a thread in the Feedback forum.

For questions or technical issues about MLPForums, check out the Site Questions forum.

Or if you have an issue best discussed in private, consider submitting a support ticket here.

who is luna?

Luna is is Princess of the Night! Thou shalt remember it!

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAS AN IDENTITY CRISIS HERE?!?!?!?

That's what working on a forum does to yah. :please:

is there any episode of MLP you totally hate?

The closest would be Twilight Time; though I can't say I HATE it.

Who's everypony's favourite princess? (Luna, Tia, Cadence, or Twi?)

(Or discord)

:comeatus:

*cleaning her glasses* oh i see, lets talk about your liking, music for example, can you tell me your 7 favorite songs and why?

I like some of the hardest and most extreme subgenres of metal, namely death metal. However, I really love metal combined with symphonic/orchestral elements. So, in general, my favorite musical genres are symphonic/melodic death metal, melodic/folk death metal, technical death metal, brutal/technical death metal, extreme power metal, and symphonic power metal. Outside of the metal genre I love classical music, MLP music, and Christmas music.

This isn't necessarily in a particular order, but 7 of my favorite metal songs of all time would be the following:

• Song of Myself by Nightwish (symphonic power metal) - It is a beautiful song based on the poem of the same name by Walt Whitman. The song deals with philosophical issues involving life, love, death, war, violence, sex,  humanity, religion and spirituality.

• Unconquerable by Brymir (symphonic/melodic death metal) - It is a very heavy and inspirational song. I often listen to this to elevate my mood and fortify my spirit.

• Sons of Winter and Stars by Wintersun (symphonic/melodic death metal) - It is a true epic of a song in which death metal meets the stars. It deals with a lot of fascinating issues of an abstract and esoteric nature.

• The Longest Journey (Heathen Throne Part II) by Ensiferum (symphonic/melodic death metal) - It is a truly epic and beautiful song.

• Ocean Gateways by Obscura (technical death metal) - It's a very heavy and powerful song that deals with philosophical issues regarding earth and our place in the systems of life and reality.

• Reasons to Live by DragonForce (extreme power metal) - It's a beautiful and inspirational song that has helped me get through some very difficult times.

• Supreme Humanism of Megalomania by Nile (brutal/technical death metal) - It's a very interesting and extremely hardcore song.

you have a good taste on  music if may i say so

how bout movies, your 3 favorite movies?

I love many movies, so it's hard to choose only 3. 

However, if I had to choose, my three favorite animated movies would probably be the following:

• Equestria Girls 1 & 2 (tie)

• Frozen

• Waking Life [R]
My favorite live action movies are probably the following:
  • Donnie Darko [R]

• Cloud Atlas [R]

• The Fountain
Please note that these lists don't include Christmas and/or holiday movies, as those are my favorite movies by far. Equestria Girls 1 & 2 would be tied with them.

can you name 3 books that changed your life?

All of the books I have read have affected my life in some way, but three that impacted it the most in good and/or bad ways are the following:

• Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut [17+] - A very graphic and disturbing story that opened my eyes much more to the horrors and reality of war and violence.

• Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - A very beautiful and enlightening book that dealt with spirituality, namely a man's quest for himself.

• Inferno by Dante Alighieri (Part I of The Divine Comedy: it's the only part I've read in its entirety thus far) - Quite disturbing but incredibly artful and multilayered.

how ddi you enter as a moderator?

I was invited to join the MLP Forums Q&A Team in July 2013. I was invited to join the moderation team in February, 2014. I was invited to become a community admin in June 2014, and I began training as a technical admin as well like a week or two ago.

As a Q&A staff member I mainly helped out in the site questions section. As a moderator I focused on assisting with reports and global moderation. As a community admin I still do both of those things, but I focus primarily on managing the staff, moderation disputes, financial issues, community management, and other administrative tasks. As a tech admin I'm mainly in the learning stage right now, but I've worked with some of the code behind MLPF and poniverse with a focus on fixing problems and adding improved functionality.

• Brohoof 1

Have any of you staff members met in person? If so, when and where?

I've met Feld0, Spoon, Artemis, Chaotic Discord, Applebloom, Zoop, Wingnut, Lumi, Ice Storm, New Calamity...I might be forgetting a few people, it's early and I just woke up. Mind you that some of those that I mentioned are former staff members.

Met at Bronycon 2013 (to help with some table work and to attend the panel we had along with promoting the forum) and 2014.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, not only have I not met any staff from the forums in person, I have yet to meet a single person on the forums. I do hope to change that in the future. :D

• Brohoof 1

what you normally dinner/drink on xmas?

I usually have two Christmases (Christmasi?) and a Hanukkah, but this year it's just the two Christmases. But latkas are always a thing during this time of year. My mother in law cooks salmon, since it's what she had as a kid in Germany. Then with my parents it looks an awful lot like Thanksgiving. There's this really good blood orange soda we get from Costco. Trying to get pregnant, so no booze for me this year.  :blush:

what's with the weird names?

Which?  :blink:

who here is most trained at the art of clever names (besides me)?

Hey, Troblems is an awesome name, a cross between trouble and problems, and it suits me well. However, I rather like Love, and it may stick around for a while.

is there any episode of MLP you totally hate?

Spike episodes.

Also, I didn't like Pinkie Pride.

Has anyone ever been Banned for a dream?

Uh..Not since I've been on staff...?

Who's everypony's favourite princess? (Luna, Tia, Cadence, or Twi?)

(Or discord)

Check the name, yo.

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAS AN IDENTITY CRISIS HERE?!?!?!?

My self esteem is too high for an identity crisis. The people that I'm closest with know who I am, and I'm a-okay with that.  :)

I have met Wingnut and his roommate. There's also a bunch of us crashing BABSCon this April. Everyone who can should come hang with us.  :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

I've known since before I was a member here and we've met in person several times.  I also met Arty at Bronycon, and like Troblems said, a bunch of us will be meeting up at BABSCon.

I've known since before I was a member here and we've met in person several times. I also met Arty at Bronycon, and like Troblems said, a bunch of us will be meeting up at BABSCon.

What BABSCon days will you guys be there and will you also be looking around and interacting along with being in a panel?

Edited by CC_FlutterMaud

What BABSCon days will you guys be there and will you also be looking around and interacting along with being in a panel?

Most of us will be there all weekend!  We'll be tabling at the convention, doing a panel, and of course enjoying the convention ourselves, so you should see us around.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I might ask something that might've been already answered... :P

As somebody who wants to go overseas one day, have any of you been outside your country before? If so, was it to relax or to do your job?

• 2 weeks later...

how ddi you enter as a moderator?

I applied. :) At first I was considered too new but someone to keep an eye on, but they decided that we needed extra helping hands in the RP section, especially with people taking breaks from it, and now, here I am! The RP section tends to be rather quiet, but I hope to help out any way I can regardless.

The best is getting to help out all the members of the Forum, the worst is being forced to help out all the members of the Forum......

I kid, I kid.  Seriously, that is the best thing, but the worst is probably having to  report members or have to enforce the rules and give warnings to members.

• Brohoof 1

whats the best and the worst to be a staffer?

OMG YOUR OC IS SO PRETTY.

The best part is helping out the community. 

The worst part is dealing with @Simon. :(

• Brohoof 4

The best is simply the honor of being a staffer here, and making sure the community is a nice and enjoyable place for all users; no to mention working with some great individuals on the team.

The worst comes from some of the stuff we end up dealing with; such as trolls and NSFW items, but that's part of the job. :)

• Brohoof 1

What would any of you say is (or was) the most stressful part of being a moderator? Or do ever find it stressful at all?

Destiny already answered that:

The worst part is dealing with Simon.

xD

In seriousness though, there is a lot of stress when you're a mod. I mean, we go and look for the stuff that we don't want the rest of the people on the forum exposed to, so it's definitely not without it's stressful moments.  Dealing with arguments, dealing with trolls, dealing with people who might not be happy with a warning or some other decision from the staff... all of those sorts of things are big piles of stress for the staff.  But, I still love it and I know the rest of the staff loves their jobs as well or we wouldn't be doing it. <3

• Brohoof 3

:blink:

Like any position or opportunity, the best thing is getting to know many people I may not otherwise have. Either through passive or active engagement.

Worst thing is knowing that if you make a mistake it can reflect badly on others around you. It comes with the territory, but to know you erred and lost the faith of a member - and have that impact how he or she views the staff as a whole - that is the worst thing.

• Brohoof 1

What would any of you say is (or was) the most stressful part of being a moderator? Or do ever find it stressful at all?

Well, being a sectional my experiences might be a bit different.

The best part is the friends that I've made as a member of the staff, as well as the interactions that I've had with members here.

The worst comes with dealing with certain stressful situations, and later finding out that you made a mistake. Of course plenty of mistakes can be mended, but others, like Jeric said, can have a lasting effect.

• Brohoof 1

It's extremely stressful. Will not give details but the worst parts are some extreme examples of the sort of people and behavior we have to deal with, especially when it involves legal problems and/or IRL harm.

Thought I might ask something that might've been already answered... :P

As somebody who wants to go overseas one day, have any of you been outside your country before? If so, was it to relax or to do your job?

Never left my country yet, but I'd like to travel the world some day.

• Brohoof 1

post-18984-0-86339500-1421036472.gif okay i just have another questions, they may look stupid but am a curiosity cake!

1) you can read PMs?

2) is there a way to close your own topic?

3) how can you enter in the MLP forums staff?

4) do you have a particular favorite user?

5) what has been the worst troll you been dealing?

6) whats the limit you put on language (being specific what words you cant use?)

7) in the blog section you can talk about anything or there are restrictions?

but am a curiosity cake

238680008_c287ab7806.jpg

1) you can read PMs?

Yes, I get PM's from quite a few people everyday and my early elementary education allows me to read them with appropriate comprehension.

2) is there a way to close your own topic?

always-be-closing.jpg?w=584&h=292

No, but you may be able to reach out to the staff assigned to the Section to make a request. 

3) how can you enter in the MLP forums staff?

ccddf3639932fef0e76f5b28316b05b2ca8a9c1b

Seriously though, the first step is to be a decent member and contribute politely, love this community. There are definitely more criteria, but those are inclusive of most attributes that make a good staff member.  In the past applications have been posted and opened for review. 

4) do you have a particular favorite user?

No. I say this honestly too. I cannot quantify individuals in that way. There are so many people on this site (some who have never spoken with me even) that I love seeing a post from. :)

5) what has been the worst troll you been dealing?

*licks* 

6) whats the limit you put on language (being specific what words you cant use?)

English only please, and no caps. Canterlot voice is no longer acceptable.

7) in the blog section you can talk about anything or there are restrictions?

tumblr_lfi0d0iRx61qaj0c6o1_400.jpg

Still apply in Blogs. 

• Brohoof 4