Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a Staffer!

NewCalamity
Message added by Simon,

Heads up: this thread is to ask whatever sorts of questions you may have to staff, but this is not the right place to give actual feedback or more serious questions for the staff. Anything posted here is subject to receive a silly response!

To send the site positive or negative feedback, try making a thread in the Feedback forum.

For questions or technical issues about MLPForums, check out the Site Questions forum.

Or if you have an issue best discussed in private, consider submitting a support ticket here.

Seriously though, the first step is to be a decent member and contribute politely, love this community. There are definitely more criteria, but those are inclusive of most attributes that make a good staff member.  In the past applications have been posted and opened for review. 

so if i wanna be part of the forum staff and work with you i must be a decent member and contribute politely? 

• 4 weeks later...

okay i just have another questions, they may look stupid but am a curiosity cake!

1) you can read PMs?
2) is there a way to close your own topic?
3) how can you enter in the MLP forums staff?
4) do you have a particular favorite user?
5) what has been the worst troll you been dealing?
6) whats the limit you put on language (being specific what words you cant use?)
7) in the blog section you can talk about anything or there are restrictions?

1. Administrators are able to read PMs but they only do so when tipped off by other staff members (or members participating in the PM conversation) as a situation in which that is necessary to do. I mean, if you're asking if staff can read other people's conversations.
  2. No, but you may alert a moderator of that particular section if you need a topic closed. :)
  3. You can try your shot at applying to be a moderator here. Good luck!
  4. I for one am completely fond of . ;)
  5. @Simon. He's so bad he disguises himself as a moderator!
  6. This is an English forum and therefore we expect you to speak English here. (In regards to words, nah. We don't have any real limit as long as you don't swear excessively and your language isn't abusive toward another member.)
  7. No. You can't talk about @SCS. He's too cool for that.

so if i wanna be part of the forum staff and work with you i must be a decent member and contribute politely? 

If you want to be part of the forum staff, you must be a member who abides by the rules and dedicates yourself to the forum. Please keep in mind, though, that being forum staff is more than just being nice and pretty for everyone. There's a lot of work that goes into it, and if you're not able to handle it, you might just have more fun on these forums as a regular member!

To any staff member pony that reads this, after all these questions do you think you need more people to occupy this or do you have enough.

We're always open to answering more questions. :)

• Brohoof 2

Should I be worried about corruption within staff in the powers that are given to them on this forum?

Questioning authority is a good way of keeping authority accountable and in check. However, there are good and bad ways of going about this. If you believe there are ways that the forums could be run better, a lengthy post in the Feedback forum outlining how would be very welcome. Best to just get it all out so people can comment and have a conversation about it, rather than just keeping it all in yourself and stewing in every perceived wrong. The latter doesn't help anybody.

Since you went so far as to ask this question in the first place, I doubt there's anything I can say that would alleviate your concern. I will say that the staff seems to be reasonably good at policing its own and in only promoting people who won't need much policing in the first place. Even so, there will always be blind spots that we need to notice and overcome.

• Brohoof 3

Questioning authority is a good way of keeping authority accountable and in check. However, there are good and bad ways of going about this. If you believe there are ways that the forums could be run better, a lengthy post in the Feedback forum outlining how would be very welcome. Best to just get it all out so people can comment and have a conversation about it, rather than just keeping it all in yourself and stewing in every perceived wrong. The latter doesn't help anybody.

Since you went so far as to ask this question in the first place, I doubt there's anything I can say that would alleviate your concern. I will say that the staff seems to be reasonably good at policing its own, and in only promoting people who won't need much policing in the first place. Even so, there will always be blind spots that we need to notice and overcome.

It was just a question I felt like I should answer. I kind of read that negatively so I apologize.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
post-18984-0-84942300-1430191574.gif Violet: hello Mr./Miss Staffer! i was wondering this: 
lets say you have to date your favorite pony, everything goes well but and is your best day ever, but in the end of the day the pony offers you to live with her/him forever in Equestria BUT you will never know again from your friends and family, what do you choose?

Violet: hello Mr./Miss Staffer! i was wondering this: 
lets say you have to date your favorite pony, everything goes well but and is your best day ever, but in the end of the day the pony offers you to live with her/him forever in Equestria BUT you will never know again from your friends and family, what do you choose?

I'd go.

• 2 weeks later...

I already had my best day ever. I'd be okay with a second best day ever, but come home after it was over. I'd miss my husband too much. 

I'd consider going as I really don't have a significant other and, at my age, that is the main factor. However losing my friends would hurt...

...choices...

• 3 weeks later...

Do staff in general care for the community here, or more of just as a team group limitation?

Do ranks have to go through a training routine or temporary role to go into more permanent roles, even if they qualify?

What about being hindered of past offenses (justifiable or unjustifiable) in being able to apply for these roles?

Can YOU see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch®?

No! Trix are for kids. Cinnamon Toast Crunch are for me!!!

Do staff in general care for the community here, or more of just as a team group limitation?

Do ranks have to go through a training routine or temporary role to go into more permanent roles, even if they qualify?

What about being hindered of past offenses (justifiable or unjustifiable) in being able to apply for these roles?

So much it sometimes hurts

In Moderation roles, yes.

It depends on the offense, the length of time since the offense/and positive contributions since

No! Trix are for kids. Cinnamon Toast Crunch are for me!!!

So much it sometimes hurts

In Moderation roles, yes.

It depends on the offense, the length of time since the offense/and positive contributions since

How about perm-bans without a solid justifiable reason? Is that fair especially if it's the only offense someone has?

Do staff or ranks in general only give punishments or do their best to suppress a situation? To be honest I haven't seen much of that. It's more of a sudden punishment that's one-sided that doesn't really get both parties involved to reach an understanding at all.

Yes. I'm taking a leap, unafraid.

How about perm-bans without a solid justifiable reason? Is that fair especially if it's the only offense someone has?

Perma-bans are handed out to users who either have a history of repeat offences and show no attempt to change their attitude or to those who make it clear they have no mind to become a proper member of this community (trolls who sign up to berate people or such). We don't treat perma-bans lightly. Never have and never will. If we hand out a perma-ban, then it was a decision made by multiple moderators after lengthy discussion.

Do staff or ranks in general only give punishments or do their best to suppress a situation? To be honest I haven't seen much of that. It's more of a sudden punishment that's one-sided that doesn't really get both parties involved to reach an understanding at all.

The staff will hand out warnings and such as they are due. Every user is held responsible for their actions on the site and its expected that people will try to come to an understanding with each other should they get into an argument. If that's impossible, then we expect users to make a report. Once this is done, we'll be happy to step in and resolve the situation. Unfortunately most people tend to take it into their own hands and we're only made aware once things have already blown up.

Moral of the story, report report report.

To add to what Dawn said

To be honest I haven't seen much of that.

If you did, we would have failed in our duty to maintain privacy with individuals.  

Note that the general tone of this topic is supposed to be light and silly, which is why it is in the Ask a Pony Forum. Should anyone have an issue with the site, site management, etc please concentrate that in the Feedback forum. Thank you. 

• Brohoof 1

Why do Administrators keep breaking all the Moderator profiles?! >:U

I'm looking at you, @Jeric... >:l

They don't break it, they merely give it a makeover.

• Brohoof 1

Why do Administrators keep breaking all the Moderator profiles?! >:U

I'm looking at you, @Jeric... >:l

Just yours Kou ... just yours :)

• Brohoof 1