Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Littlest Pet Shop (TV Show)

BeatrixBow

My biggest reason for liking LPS, is that it is not MLP. Aside from some similarities in voices, some staffing, and humor, it's a completely different beast. And that for me is the biggest appeal.

I just got through watching the newest episode this morning, and I thought the musical number was amazingly executed. The fact that pop-culture references are being tossed into almost every episode is something that doesn't happen with a lot of cartoon shows these days, and tossing in an 80s band homage was just golden.

You can see more about it here: Pet Shop Daily

Hello and bro hoof to all /)

Most of you know that after My Little Pony, there comes a show call Littles Pet Shop. What do you guys think of this show?

I for one think that it is not the best. I'm not hating on it, but I believe it tries to hard to start a fandom like MLP has. On the Hub's facebook page there are about 10 posts about LPS and the pink monkey is doing a scene from Brave Heart! Again, not hating just want to know your thoughts.

Thanks and bro hoof /)

• Brohoof 2

I just think of it as an experiment of sorts to reproduce the "brony phenomenon" consistently,if they are trying this hard to make a brony fanbase.

Think about it.The average brony has more money than a little girl does,and bronies also draw in more views for the show,ergo,more money for Hasbro.If they can keep reproducing the effect on other shows and get more money,why not find a formula that works consistently and effectively?

• Brohoof 2

I just think of it as an experiment of sorts to reproduce the "brony phenomenon" consistently,if they are trying this hard to make a brony fanbase.

Think about it.The average brony has more money than a little girl does,and bronies also draw in more views for the show,ergo,more money for Hasbro.If they can keep reproducing the effect on other shows and get more money,why not find a formula that works consistently and effectively?

On the other hand, many bronies don't actually buy anything produced by Hasbro, and many watch the show on Youtube because all the episodes are there in 1080p.

I would be interested to see the actual contributions bronies make to Hasbro's annual profit... would be most interesting!

• Brohoof 3

Well idk its not as interesting to me as MLP, but i mean it is kinda interesting. I've watched a couple episodes, and while its no MLP its still kinda entertaining, the charactors aren't quiet as engaging I feel, but then again it may be due to not having watched enough to see them develop.

Regardless it does feel a bit like MLP, however different in a few ways of course. Its still pretty decent, I might watch more for a better opinion.

It still doesn't have the magic MLP does for me though.

• Brohoof 2

I agree I don't like LPS just because I don't really like the human element and hearing voices similar to those in MLP which just confuses me.

I think if Hasbro started to grant some licenses to some members of the fandom who are making quality goods at the moment and maybe discuss how to make they more available to the fandom then Hasbro could be making more money rather then annoying people through a flurry of CnDs that seem to have been thrown around lately.

I personally don't think it's as good as mlp, but I still think it's somewhat good of a show. At first, I didn't like it. But, as I've watched it with people on Equestria.tv, I've come to like it more.

I honestly don't think it's trying to be like MLP.

Well, I've seen just an episode or two and it's not bad, even tho a little bit too random for my taste. So I guess it's ok, if I turned on TV and it was on, I'll prolly watch it, but I don't see myself waiting impatiently for that show or re-watching the episodes all the time, like I do with certain other show. Simply put, it feels like decent cartoon show, but it's no MLP. tongue.png

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't put in my 2 cents. (Or is it 5 cents now :blink:)

Anyways, I probably wouldn't watch it, I don't watch much TV and I get my fix of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic via YouTube.

Ever since MLP got a huge fanbase it's like Hasbro is constantly trying to replicate it with other shows intended for girls. No Hasbro, just because we like MLP does not mean we will watch every childrens show that you put out. We watch it because it's good and you constantly pumping out more of these shows hoping you will get a huge fanbase like MLP has is not gonna work.

I've been wanting to post in here for a good while now, I'll take advantage of this little ounce of productivity I have and do it now.

*ahem*

When I first heard of a new Littlest Pet Shop cartoon that was to be aired on the day of the premiere of season three of MLP, I as skeptical. Most of the feedback from the brony community was criticizing it for trying to copy MLP. I guess I sort of thought that way to at first. But one thing I'm sure I thought, was that that show would never be the revolutionary accident MLP gave us. The countless change that show made to our lives, the imagination and creativity it spawned, the popularity that was spread around the world; it all revolved around the fact that demoprgahics could be infinite, that anyone could like it, sans the irony, with the freedom to watch whatever we want as we please.

Back to LPS, there was apparent evidence that LPS and MLP are very similar shows. For one, the animation. It might not be as good, but it's made with Flash, which introduces clever art techniques such as freely scaling objects (characters, etc.) so that they don't have to be redrawn as they get closer or farther (as used in traditional animation), which makes it more realistic, and puts less of a burden on animators.

The staff and crew are similar as well, many voices, writers and the like who work on ponies offer their time to work on LPS too. Ashleigh Ball, Tabitha St. Germain, Daniel Ingram, M.A. Larson, Merriwether Williams, and M.A. Larson are among the names who work on both cartoons, and it shows. Both deem very high in quality that is unexpected to the general viewer.

Speaking of quality, I think it tends to vary from episode to episode, but overall, LPS isn't better, it's close to it though, if not tied. As the team is mainly the same geniuses who work on MLP, nearly everything we love about ponies is present in LPS. For one, the presence of animals with human characteristics. That's one thing I like about when characters are like that, it makes them more easily relatable to us humans, and more likable to. Blythe's pets are some of the most intriguing characters I've ever seen in a cartoon, inclduing the ones that star humans as the main characters.

As for the songs, they contain Daniel Ingram's awesomeness in their essence. They have great lyrics mostly, they're catchy, and they tend to be more variable in genre I'm the first half of the season than MLP. That's probably not much to say though, since LPS started off with a song in mot episodes, whereas MLP started off with very few songs in its first 10 episodes. Regardless, Ingram hits a home run with his works on both shows.

Another thing it picks up from MLP is the ability to attract a wide array of viewers. One thing is their references, one thing that MLP does best. Possibly my favorite reference over the Star Trek reference (I don't watch Star Trek, but I know enough about it to recognize the reference, and they're epic for doing that), is the episode-long reference to James Bond in "Books and Covers". They basically did everything they could to resemble the 007 movies without committing a copyright infringement. The fact that they reference things younger viewers would not most likely understand, leaves it to the adults to appreciate, which makes it all the more enjoyable, and doesn't ruin it for the kids.

Like MLP, LPS has it's share with episodes that have morals in it. Not as much as MLP, but it's still there, and it's still a great reason for it being a good, enjoyable kid-friendly show.

I have to say my favorite characters right now are (in order), Zoe, Trent, and Buttercream. Zoe primarily for Nicole Oliver's spot on voice; as well as her lovely singing voice provided by Kylee Epp. She's very adorable, as well as the others, but she tops the category for me. I like Pepper because she seems like the Rainbow Dash of the bunch. Hey tomboyish antics and her love for humor and comedy easily make her one of my favorites. As for Buttercream, she's cute too, and I love the way her vocabulary is hilariously edited. Unfortunately, she's only a semi-recurring character that was introduced in "Topped with Buttercream", one of my favorite episodes.

I don't have a single favorite episodes, but among them are "Blythe's Big Adventure", "Bad Hair Day", "Gailbreak", "Penny For Your Laughs", "Dumb Dumbwaiter", "Books and Covers", "Topped with Buttercream" and "Sweet (Truck) Ride".

As for the fandom and where it's headed, I don't think it'll ever have the same magnitude as MLP, but I do certainly think that there's a lot of potential for it. There's already art, fanfiction, songs, (maybe plushies?) among other things the MLP fandom has to offer. I can't wait to see what's in store for the future of the LPS fandom.

Edited by NASCARFAN160
  • Brohoof 4

It's not FiM, but it's still a pretty damn good show. I feel that tries a lot to be like FiM while doing a lot to make it stand out on its own

• Brohoof 1

I approached LPS from the stand point of complete and total newness; in that I wanted to see something, new. I'm not saying that MLP has grown old, not at all, but variety is the spice of life, they say. So I wanted to give Hasbro a bit of my time. Certanly, the show is not MLP, I honestly do not thing that Hasbro was wanting it to be. Sure, like I said elsewhere, I think they wanted to see if maybe lightning could strike twice, and who could blame them?

There are a lot of Bronies that are too enthusiastic when it comes to making the general comparison of LPS to MLP, as if the show was conceived and founded on a conspiracy to bolster ratings exclusively from the Brony fanbase. It's not from the brony community that Hasbro has set their sights. But once again on the actual intended audeince.

When I go on-line to view vids about LPS, all I see are endless girls playing with their toys, not a plethora of adults, and men... but children. Hasbro knows which side of the bread their butter is on, and I'm sure they know that Bronies aren't going to be beating down the doors of Target or Wal-Mart to get the latest generation of toys that get shipped to the site.

People liking LPS aside from the target audience is a perk of the franchise. Naturally, it seems that Hasbro wants their property to succeed, and if Bronies come to love the show, that's just a perk. In all honesty, it was the talented people and staff from MLP that helped to influence my decision to watch LPS, but what always grabs me about a show, is not its relationship to some other franchise, or series, but whether it has its own merits.

I think the Pet Shopper community want LPS to succeed as much as MLP, but not at the expense of inter-fandom hostility. People watch MLP ( myself included) not because it's a part of something else, or spawned from an older series. But because it can stand on its own two legs (four legs). LPS deserves the same chance. Regardless of the fact that it's a Hasbro remake of an older show, or the Blythe doll series, or has a ton of staff from MLP, as far as I see it those people are staff of Hasbro, not MLP.

When I put up a fandom survey for LPS, the two things that are the most answered, are the questions; "What brought you to the fandom?", and "What would you like to see the fandom accomplish?"... the vast majority of responses were, "I was a fan of MLP, so I tried LPS." and "To be great like the MLP fandom." No where no time, has the fans of LPS wanted to out-do, or become greater than the MLP fandom, they just want to be as good as it.

MLP says, "love and tolerance"... LPS says, "Be who you want to be." Well, I want to be a fan of LPS, and a fan of MLP. I think if we can meet in some middle ground, we'll be the better for it. And the two fandoms will thrive.

Edited by Davidism
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

So, I just want to know, what are your thoughts on the Littlest Pet Shop TV show?

Do you like it? Or do you dislike it?

Do you think it's better than MLP: FiM? 

What other things would you want share your opinion on about it?

I, personally, love Littlest Pet Shop. I think the characters are rather adorable. And I believe it is has slightly better humor than My Little Pony. 

So, begin discussing. :)

• Brohoof 6

I watched it a couple days ago, and it's pretty ok. Not as good as My Little Pony, but it's... ok :)

I like Blythe's personality. Don't really know all the characters names :P

Personally?I like it.I think it's an interesting show and it has it's own charm to it.I'm not of the opinion that it's a copy of MLP like some others I've witnessed doing so.I think it's very similar to MLP but that's probably due to how the creators wanted it,the MLP format worked well and popularity rose.Hasbro wants popularity,not Brony approval.(Although they have given us a lot of tipped hats recently)

Absolutely not.Though,MLP is one of my favourite shows so that's a difficult position to push.LPS is fun..But MLP is MUCH funner and the fandom can be just as interesting as the show itself.LPS can become quite tedious wheras I've never experienced that from MLP so far.

What other things would you want TO share your opinion on about it?

Got confused on the typo,these things happen.

I think that if you're a brony and you haven't yet tried the show and are reading this you at least NEED to try it.Do the same as you did for MLP and you may find a new thing to love and tolerate!<3

Deathflame

I have only watched one episode of it.. They do use every chance they get to advertise LPS. What I've seen from it I didn't really like. I was open-minded about it.. But something.. meh I don't know. Maybe because it had that human in it. If it where only the pets it might have been cool. I haven't seen enough to say that I dislike it, I just dislike what I've seen from it.

I know it isn't better then MLP. I already have tons of shows that I haven't watched because I just can't find the time for them. So LPS is not really high on that list. I don't really like it.. I don't know why really. Like when I saw MLP I just knew right away it was a great show. Like as soon as I first saw it and when I watched a full episode it just reassured me of how good it was and I just had to see more. That did not happen with LPS, I was just bored when I watched that one episode.

But then again, I haven't seen that many episodes.. Just one. But with MLP just one episode was enough for me to want to see more. So it's probably an ok show, but it's sure isn't like MLP.

I have seen bits from it and one episode and I'm just not interested. I would much rather like to watch the "regular show" or "adventure time" instead of LPS. I'm sorry..

Ponies and more ponies.. I don't have time for anything else. LoL

I used to like it, but then I kind of stopped out of nowhere.

I loved Zoe, Russell, and Sunil.

I might start watching it again, but my list of shows to watch is outrageous and LPS isn't high on the list.

It's definitely NOT better than MLP. It's fine...just not as great as MLP. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love the show! I think it's cute, funny and the animation/art is adorable and awesome. I absolutely love how everyone has a huge head but they can still wear necklaces and collars and stuff. xD Also love the Biskit twins.

I don't however, like some of Blythe's sayings, like 'What the what? What the huh?!' That just annoys the heck out of me. xD

Ehh...I try not to compare. It's pretty good on its own scale, but this one actually has a lot of young viewers, so no it doesn't have the appeal that MLP has.

What other things would you want share your opinion on about it?

Umm...My favorite characters are, the Biskit twins, Minka, Penny Ling, Buttercream and Sugar Sprinkles.

Yus! Freaking Littlest Pet Shop, I actually enjoy it more than MLP:FiM...well it's kind of obvious by now that I'm a huge LPS fan. My favorite character of them all is Zoe Trent.

BRO HAIL LPS

• Brohoof 3

I saw the pilot episode of "Littlest Pet Shop" recently.  Well, I missed the beginning.  At least I saw the part where she met the pets and stuff.  It was "to be continued," and I haven't seen the second part yet.  It seemed fairly entertaining.  It is fun to hear such a Rainbow Dashish voice coming out of a different character - especially when she is screaming in shock from talking animals.  I just found that the first season is available on Netflix, so I will probably watch a little more.  Heh, "little." 

I really enjoy LPS. It certainly isn't as good a MLP, which is my favorite cartoon ( favorite live-action show is doctor who) My favorite characters are Zoe, Sunil, and Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching more of "Littlest Pet Shop," and I very much enjoy it.  There are definitely jokes and references for the adult audience, like when Minka the painter monkey was dressed like Andy Warhol in her fantasy.  I have seen the first five episodes so far, and I will probably end up watching the rest of the first season on Netflix. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Littlest Pet Shop too. I got curious after I heard that Blythe won Nicest on the Hub's Naughty Or Nice List Christmas special thing. I was like a show about Littlest Pet Shop, since I knew about the toys duh, hmm. I watched the pilot episode and I took an interest. It definitely isn't as good as FIM and just the popularity of the brony fandom is proof enough of that. But it is a good show, my favorite pet is probably Penny Ling. She's just so CUTE!! She would be like the equivalent of Fluttershy.

Some people on Youtube actually say that LPS copies some things from FIM. Well I kind of agree on that with the Helicopter Dad episode. Kind of a parody of A Friend Indeed with Minka trying to be friends with Olive. But besides that, most of the stuff is original so stop saying it's a ripoff people!!

• Brohoof 1