Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming CONSOLE WAR: PlayStation 4 or Xbox One?

KonohaLegend

@, The departure to use X86 breaks a 20+ year tradition and is a symptom of the bigger picture that Sony and Microsoft(except for the case of the original Xbox, which everyone can collectively agree was shit) are less interested in making a good product and more interested in just pushing out crap to the masses. They could have easily still done the same things on more specialized hardware, it didn't need to be X86. Power architecture worked well for current gen. It could have worked equally as well for next gen.

I don't really see the relevance of any of this though. The video gaming industry has collectively gone to hell in a hand basket. First the big names got greedy and started doing DLC instead of X-Packs, then came microtransactions, now they don't even bother to made a decent product to begin with because they can promise us a "better game" next year.

Now you've got Indie game developers following suit with horrible customer service and shitty products. If something big doesn't happen soon in the industry, it's not going to matter what console you have because all the games for it wont be worth playing. 

this guy.

This guy is on my level.

Sadly I have to agree with this, and I am afraid its going to take another crash before these companies realise what they are doing. But would the gaming industry survive a second crash? I really don't want to find out.

I'm afraid of another industry crash too, mainly due to ridiculously high development costs. I believe the Tomb Raider reboot sold abou 3 million copies in a month and Square Enix needed it to do 5 million. That's messed up.

Seriously, games are starting to cost more than blockbuster films to make.

Edited by Evil Bright Honor

Games also sell for significantly more than a blockbuster film and have an equally wide audience. The problem isn't rising development costs, it's that they've lulled themselves into thinking that they can just take a big crap, wrap it in shiny plastic and everyone will buy it.

Games also sell for significantly more than a blockbuster film and have an equally wide audience. The problem isn't rising development costs, it's that they've lulled themselves into thinking that they can just take a big crap, wrap it in shiny plastic and everyone will buy it.

As someone who is aiming to enter the game industry, and who sees games as the work of enormous teams working in brutal environments collaborating on immense projects spanning multiple studios with all kinds of fields of study determining how to get it all right, (as opposed to games being the result of a magic trick performed by a bunch of men in a board room using a $40 mil. dollar bill) the idea that studios are intentionally producing crap comes off as pretty obnoxious.

FUN FACT: Microsoft makes money, but it is in no way thanks to their Xbox department. If in 2001, they had decided "...Nah, let's not make a game console.", they wouldn't have a penny more than they do today. Video games are a big business, but contrary to all beliefs of the purchasers, this stuff ISN'T just a license to print free money.

The problem, to put in vague terms (and which can't necessarily be blamed on any particular party), is that by now, a certain supply of gamers now somewhat expect a product for a price that can't be commercially produced at that price for that set of gamers. The way things are now, there's a definite [racism 3] in the equation, and it's not solved by just "making better games". We *have* plenty of great games, and they're not necessarily performing better by wide margins. If ANYTHING is a solution (and I don't want it) it's to have more advertising for all the horrible games.

The numbers you're quoting are skewed in the context that I was talking about. They include fun stuff such as R&D and Hardware production. Stuff that only pertains to the console and not the game. FUN FACT: Microsoft at the very least sold XB360 at a loss for years. That's a conscious decision made by Microsoft, which contributed to those numbers being so low. 

Seeing as how you quoted me talking about video games in specific which had nothing to do with console production, I'd like to see you present some numbers that don't actually include all that silly stuff. Let's have a look at publishers who don't actually manufacture the consoles themselves.

EA: 2012 - Netted 76M 

2013 - Netted 98M

ATVI: 2009 Netted 113M

2010 Netted 418M

2011 Netted 1.07B

2012 Netted 1.13B

There's proof right there that you can make money... and loads of it off of video games. 

I'll pick up a PS4 eventually. The Xbox One is practically the same thing but costs $100 more.  I've always prefered the Playstation controller & UI over Xbox's as well.

I have both but I don't have a lot of time to play them. I do not like the interface on either. They load it with this extra crap. I don't want to watch movies or TV or do social media or any of the stuff they put in the system. The option to start the game is a little panel down in the corner. Wow, these machines play games? I wouldn't have guessed. Xbox 3 (I refuse to call it by their stupid name) wants you to run your TV through it. No, that is what my receiver is for. I don't need Xbone taking over my TV. I just want the machine to play games.

I would recommend PS4. It is a bit easier to work with. I heard it's hardware is better but someone can confirm that. I do not pay for subscription, micro transaction, or downloadable games. If they get rid of discs and sell games only by download then that will be the end for me. There are plenty if old games to collect.