Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Downloading Equestria Girls? Watch TV too

Lighthope

Equestria Daily just posted the results of a poll which asked how people intend to see Equestria Girls.

The vast majority (40%) said they planned to see it via some "other online source".  Read: Pirate download.

I won't go into the legality or morality of such. That is not the point of this thread.

What I am going to say is this:

My Little Pony lives and dies on the raitings (and thus money) it makes for the studio.

If you plan to download the episode, then please please please also watch it when it comes on the Hub network.  Don't rob the show of ratings because you alreday saw it.  Even if you can't bare to watch it again, set your DVR and then play it in the background.  (Ratings count if you watch it within seven days of recording it.)

As long as Pony gets ratings, we get more Pony. Nice and simple.

Pearls of Wisdom - "You should never take more than you give in the circle of life." - Circle of Life (Theme to "The Lion King")

• Brohoof 8

For me it's very simple, I can't watch it on tv or anywhere else but online. Of course I would love to rather be watching it on tv but I don't have hub in my country. So for me, it's either livestreams, youtube or downloads. I guess many will download it simply because of that reason.

Two things are actually bad about the movie:

1) They only released it in a few cinemas in northern America.

2) Non-North-american bronies are screwed because we simply can not watch it in a "supportive" way.

What do you think shall I do, hm? The only way I will possibly ever able to see it is to rely on methods that are either illegal or are a legal limbo.

• Brohoof 7

Equestria Daily just posted the results of a poll which asked how people intend to see Equestria Girls.

The vast majority (40%) said they planned to see it via some "other online source".  Read: Pirate download.

I won't go into the legality or morality of such. That is not the point of this thread.

What I am going to say is this:

My Little Pony lives and dies on the raitings (and thus money) it makes for the studio.

If you plan to download the episode, then please please please also watch it when it comes on the Hub network.  Don't rob the show of ratings because you alreday saw it.  Even if you can't bare to watch it again, set your DVR and then play it in the background.  (Ratings count if you watch it within seven days of recording it.)

As long as Pony gets ratings, we get more Pony. Nice and simple.

Pearls of Wisdom - "You should never take more than you give in the circle of life." - Circle of Life (Theme to "The Lion King")

I'm glad you brought this up actually... I was tempted to go see it myself but I was told I should wait and see what other bronies thought of the movie. Then I would "Download it" to watch it if the ratings were good, problem is... Yes, I refuse to priate the movie because I love My Little Pony and what Hasbro has done. This movie will most likely lead to more funding of a possible season 5 if season 4 doesn't make enough.

Yeah, people shouldn't pirate the movie, or the show for that matter. The show shouldn't even be on Youtube either- it's a TV show, not a web series, and I'm glad Hasbro is trying to take measures against that. A little patience or some importing wouldn't hurt the people in other countries who can't see it yet I think. :huh:

(edited)

I'd rather watch it properly than a pirated movie, obviously! But I don't know when or where to find it? Apparently there'll be an iTunes release but it might be just a rumour! I'm so desperate to see it as I live in the UK, it's so unfair! If anyone knows how or when I can see it please tell me!

Edited by Dashabel

Two things are actually bad about the movie:

1) They only released it in a few cinemas in northern America.

2) Non-North-american bronies are screwed because we simply can not watch it in a "supportive" way.

What do you think shall I do, hm? The only way I will possibly ever able to see it is to rely on methods that are either illegal or are a legal limbo.

My understanding is that the movie will come out on DVD or other methods of distribution.  You can always avail yourself of those.  Of course, some regions will be out of luck even there and that downloading will be truly the only method to watch it.  But you mentioned a "supportive way".  So even if your only choice of viewing is to download it from a torrent, nothing is really stopping you from buying the movie, even if you can't watch it on the DVD.  At least you still would have "supported" it.

Pony can have Super Bowl numbers that download it on YouTube, but if no one watched it on the telly or bought the DVDs, then the show would still be canceled because those numbers don't turn into show revenue.

Hasbro only looks at revenue.  That's the bottom line.

If you claim to be a fan, support the show.  Supporting the show is generating revenue for the show.  In our case, it is viewing the movie though a means that Hasbro can count.  Whether that be watching it on the telly, box office receipts, buying the DVD, or renting it.  Any other method (read: downloading it) doesn't count and means nothing.

I'm not trying to be harsh, and like I said before I am not trying to morally judge.  I am merely stating a business fact.

Pearls of Wisdom - Innocence is a valuable treasure that is too often frivolously spent.

My understanding is that the movie will come out on DVD or other methods of distribution.  You can always avail yourself of those.  Of course, some regions will be out of luck even there and that downloading will be truly the only method to watch it.  But you mentioned a "supportive way".  So even if your only choice of viewing is to download it from a torrent, nothing is really stopping you from buying the movie, even if you can't watch it on the DVD.  At least you still would have "supported" it.

Pony can have Super Bowl numbers that download it on YouTube, but if no one watched it on the telly or bought the DVDs, then the show would still be canceled because those numbers don't turn into show revenue.

Hasbro only looks at revenue.  That's the bottom line.

If you claim to be a fan, support the show.  Supporting the show is generating revenue for the show.  In our case, it is viewing the movie though a means that Hasbro can count.  Whether that be watching it on the telly, box office receipts, buying the DVD, or renting it.  Any other method (read: downloading it) doesn't count and means nothing.

I'm not trying to be harsh, and like I said before I am not trying to morally judge.  I am merely stating a business fact.

Pearls of Wisdom - Innocence is a valuable treasure that is too often frivolously spent.

I am, in fact, slightly pissed. Sorry for that.

But I live here in Germany and I won't buy german-dub-crap, and I will also not buy a DVD that my devices can't play.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@@Lighthope, @, @, Three big problems on all of your parts:

1. Currently, Equestria Girls airs only in select theaters, most of them in North America. There are plenty of bronies who live outside North America and can only watch anything "MLP:FIM-related" on sites such as YouTube because FIM isn't represented where they live. And plenty of bronies in North America won't get to see it fully until Netflix and DVD in a few months because their closest theater is too far away.
  2. Not everyone can afford stuff such as cable and Netflix. (Netflix can be under $8 per month, but multiply that by twelve, and that's around $48.) Not every cable provider carries The Hub, and some won't give it to you unless you pony up some bucks. It'll be a few months before it shows up on DVD or Netflix, but it's unknown when. (If the nearest shop to buy the DVD is far away, this means buying it online, which includes shipping and handling [sometimes a small gas charge, too, depending on the venue].)
  3. @ made another point. There are many countries where FIM only air in dubs, many of which don't give the original U.S. version justice. Plus, some systems won't respond to imported DVDs.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 7

1. Currently, Equestria Girls airs only in select theaters, most of them in North America. There are plenty of bronies who live outside North America and can only watch anything "MLP:FIM-related" on sites such as YouTube because FIM isn't represented where they live. And plenty of bronies in North America won't get to see it fully until Netflix and DVD in a few months because their closest theater is too far away.

I don't see why this is a big problem.  I didn't say that you should only watch it through legitimate means.  Only that you should avail yourself to legitimate means when they become available.

1. Not everyone can afford stuff such as cable and Netflix. (Netflix can be under $8 per month, but multiply that by twelve, and that's around $48.) Not every cable provider carries The Hub, and some won't give it to you unless you pony up some bucks. It'll be a few months before it shows up on DVD or Netflix, but it's unknown when. (If the nearest shop to buy the DVD is far away, this means buying it online, which includes shipping and handling [sometimes a small gas charge, too, depending on the venue].)

This point seems to veer between two ideas.  1) That it isn't available, which has already been covered and addressed above.  2) This I think is the main theme: that some people simply can't afford it.

As I said, this wasn't meant to be a moral judgement.  After all, if you can't afford to buy it and you have no ability to view it on the television, then certainly there is no possible way for Hasbro to garner any revenue from you.

OTOH, this is oft used as an excuse rather than a legitimate reason.  As long as it is available free on YouTube, there is no real incentive to find the funds to view it legitimately.  If, however, free views were really truly unavilable, how many who "can't afford it" would suddenly be able to?  We'll never know as that scenerio would never happen.

1. @ made another point. There are many countries where FIM only air in dubs, many of which don't give the original U.S. version justice. Plus, some systems won't respond to imported DVDs.

As I pointed out in other posts, there is nothing stopping you from simply buying the DVD.  Sure, you can't watch it because it won't play or the dub doesn't "give the original U.S. version justice".  But you did watch it through YouTube or Torrent or whatever.  Is there a particular reason why you want to deny Hasbro and the actors and the artists revenue from something you consumed?

Pearls of Wisdom - Commandment VI: You shall not murder.

• Brohoof 1

With the show being as popular as it is, I'm sure more than enough little girls will watch the show to keep the ratings afloat. That being said I don't think bronies should feel obligated to watch it in theaters if they weren't originally planning on it. I think buying merchandise is enough support as it is, especially with how big some people's collections get

• Currently, Equestria Girls airs only in select theaters, most of them in North America. There are plenty of bronies who live outside North America and can only watch anything "MLP:FIM-related" on sites such as YouTube because FIM isn't represented where they live. And plenty of bronies in North America won't get to see it fully until Netflix and DVD in a few months because their closest theater is too far away.
  • Not everyone can afford stuff such as cable and Netflix. (Netflix can be under $8 per month, but multiply that by twelve, and that's around $48.) Not every cable provider carries The Hub, and some won't give it to you unless you pony up some bucks. It'll be a few months before it shows up on DVD or Netflix, but it's unknown when. (If the nearest shop to buy the DVD is far away, this means buying it online, which includes shipping and handling [sometimes a small gas charge, too, depending on the venue].)
  • @ made another point. There are many countries where FIM only air in dubs, many of which don't give the original U.S. version justice. Plus, some systems won't respond to imported DVDs.

Well it's just my opinion, if people don't have a proper method of watching then I suppose I'm okay with them using other means as a last resort if they really want to see it, but I'm just saying people should try to use legit means as much as possible, I really wish the MLP brand had wider and more consistent releases across the world as much as anyone does though.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, people shouldn't pirate the movie, or the show for that matter. The show shouldn't even be on Youtube either- it's a TV show, not a web series, and I'm glad Hasbro is trying to take measures against that. A little patience or some importing wouldn't hurt the people in other countries who can't see it yet I think. huh.png

I just want to chip in that, if the episodes had not been up on Youtube to begin with or otherwise easily available online, I never would have started watching the series to begin with - and just this weekend I went and saw Equestria Girls in a theater (not to mention all the other pony stuff I've spent money on in the meantime).  How many others would have a similar story here?  Of course I want to support the creators of shows I like, but is it really to their net benefit to make sure nobody sees it without paying first?  Well, sorry - it is NOW, now that the fandom is already established and spreading the good pony word on its own.  It wasn't a few years ago, when it was just a kid's show getting some extra attention.  To me, the fact that Hasbro didn't care before but is cracking down now makes them come across as rather a fair-weather friend to their fans.  I understand that business is business, but business is good right now so why push things?

That's all.

• Brohoof 1

For me the only thing I can do is watch online or download it. It's either that or use a VPN to make Netflix think I am viewing from America as it most likely won't be released in the UK seeing as how none of the DVDs of Friendship Is Magic got released here and the only way I can buy it is if I get an import from America and then I won't ever be able to watch the import as it won't play on my Region 2 DVD player.

Wasn't Equestria Daily made by Hasbro?  They may have asked to find out if they should start using digital distribution.  If most bronies would rather pirate it than buy the DVD, wouldn't making it available for streaming on ED be a good idea?  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

(edited)

@Forlong I wouldn't mind buying it on DVD but it isn't possible for me if they gave it a cinema release in Wales I would pay to see it but I can't

Edited by Thomas Robert Wade

Wasn't Equestria Daily made by Hasbro?  They may have asked to find out if they should start using digital distribution.  If most bronies would rather pirate it than buy the DVD, wouldn't making it available for streaming on ED be a good idea?  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Nope, EQD is not affiliated with Hasbro at all, and was actually made by some of the first Bronies who moved off 4chan's /b/ and /co/ when the bannings started because ponies were being spammed.

Staff page:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/authors-and-pre-reader-page.html

And Wikipedia's article, which actually meantions EQD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom#Creation_and_spread

Thats true, but I being a closet brony can only watch it on youtube and stuff, so thats the only reason I can't watch it on TV. I dunno if we even have the HUB anyways. :P.

Movies is outta the question to.

But I live here in Germany and I won't buy german-dub-crap

Really? What I heard of the songs in German sounded pretty darn good. I loved the German version of love is in bloom. Though I am Speaking as an American who doesn't speak German so perhaps there is something to be said of the delivery.

Really? What I heard of the songs in German sounded pretty darn good. I loved the German version of love is in bloom. Though I am Speaking as an American who doesn't speak German so perhaps there is something to be said of the delivery.

The songs are...meh... Don't really hit the spot. As a native speaker, I have to say that some of the translations are really bad. And not to mention our voice actors...ugh...

The voices of the most ponies are too similar, too baby-like and there are no accents.

And Spike is voiced by - and in nearly the same voice - the same guy who does Steve Smith from American Dad here... yeah...

And the german VA of Discord is an insult to DeLancie himself...

The Hub doesn't air in most places, and the same goes with Equestria Girls. As a result, most are forced to resort to other methods, as much as they'd like to support the show. Hasbro doesn't offer too much variety (where I live, at least).

• Brohoof 2

The songs are...meh... Don't really hit the spot. As a native speaker, I have to say that some of the translations are really bad. And not to mention our voice actors...ugh...

The voices of the most ponies are too similar, too baby-like and there are no accents.

And Spike is voiced by - and in nearly the same voice - the same guy who does Steve Smith from American Dad here... yeah...

And the german VA of Discord is an insult to DeLancie himself...

LOL just looked up discord in German. Yeah Discord does sound weird, really kind of goofy. Spike always got a laugh out of me too at the end of Love is in Bloom. I don't watch full episodes in other languages but I do like the sounds of the songs in them sometimes. I guess delivery is hard to judge when you don't speak the language.

The reason the ponies are toy driven and not show driven is because the Hub is not doing well in ratings while the toys are selling well. If you want the toys to be more accurate, you have to watch the show and get the ratings up.

This I know from Hasbro's annual report which says that the Hub is still struggling with viewership but MLP toy sales are growing.

I'm in Canada, and they only released the movie for one measly day and I missed it! I also don't have the Hub here, so I have to watch it on Tree House or online. I always watch it when I see it on Tree House, so they get their ratings from me there, but otherwise I have all the episodes purchased and downloaded through iTunes.

But the movie? I'm mad they aren't playing it anymore. I would rather download it than wait for it to be on TV