Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When does giving your location become dangerous?

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

(edited)

I don’t mind telling people that I live in Washington DC and even saying that I go to one of the universities there. I wouldn’t get more specific than that unless it’s a close friend (or my boyfriend on here :P)

Edited by SparklingCaps

Just revealing a general area is fine. If someone was truly dedicated to tracking someone down, they could probably find ways of doing it regardless of the limitations of broad generalizations like state or city. I don’t give specifics beyond those basics, but I don’t know if that would deter a determined stalker.  

Although I am a person who have no problems to tell some more personal things online, there are informations I usually don't tell anybody except I know them really well. And these informations are my adress and my full name. I usually don't even tell the name of the village where I live. I only made one exception on this Forum and I only told you the name and how it looks like but not exactly where I live there. And I never will tell it anybody online, only private and only when I know the people really good.

I don't mind giving my city or even my neighbourhood to anyone, I don't really see any danger in it.

I'm not giving my full address to complete strangers though, only to people that I know really well.

• Brohoof 1

It's kinda pointless trying to keep it a secret, at least in my case. I predate the internet, so I've got stuff out there from before Online Identity Theft was invented. I occasionally use different screen names in specific scenarios, but I've been using 'Fhaolan' online for about 30 years or so. Do a search on that specific spelling and a majority of the results are very likely me, including results that reveal my real name and several old addresses. It wouldn't take too much effort to find my current address, as in order to get a job now-a-days in the IT industry, you have to have a resume online on multiple sites.

If someone wants to track me down physically, more power to them. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last. I'm not that worried about it.

If you’re giving a vague description on a profile, like the country you live in and that’s it, you should be fine. It becomes dangerous when you give your home town and address to people you don’t know. That should go without saying, though. I remember learning about internet safety back in middle school. The students had to attend an assembly about it.

Eh... I mean... it really depends.

I wouldn't give out your location if, say, you live with your family. That's kind of rude to them. But if you're living on your own, I'd say city that you live in is good enough.

But for me, I'd much rather just say "South Korea" and leave it at that. :P