Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Plot-Holes

Ella

There are always plot-holes, and clearly there where quite a few plot-holes in the movie, which ones stood out the most to you?

• Brohoof 2

There are always plot-holes, and clearly there where quite a few plot-holes in the movie, which ones stood out the most to you?

I agree, there are quite a few plot holes. One  is that Flash Sentry will not be in Season 4, so where will he be? Another is where was Cadence in the human world?

• Brohoof 12

What I don't get is how Sunset Shimmer even discovered the human alternate world? Celestia just said that she left. Oh yeah I agree about the Flash Sentry thing. We've got a potential romance, left in the dust. No more TwiFlash for Season 4, or maybe they'll toss him in anyway. I really don't care, but it would be interesting to see how that romance would play out.

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

I agree, there are quite a few plot holes. One is that Flash Sentry will not be in Season 4, so where will he be? Another is where was Cadence in the human world?

Cadence, Shining Armor, and Discord were missing, as well as other characters. Kinda weird, Discord would have been amazing.

On main topic, I think the biggest plot hole was what Shimmer said, that being what an Element of Harmony does in another world. We seen what it apparently does, but we are never actually told specifically what that means. There is also the obvious fact that the school never investigates on who Twilight is when she arrives. I also agree about Flash Sentry. Seriously, Twilight having a love interest would be really cute, if Equestria Girls is any indication.

There are plot holes sure, but it is just one of those things where I have so much fun watching it, that I do not care.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 7

Cadence, Shining Armor, and Discord were missing, as well as other characters. Kinda weird, Discord would have been amazing.

*heh* If Discord had been there, I bet you he would have been the creepy custodian/janitor.

The missing Shining Armor is easy enough to explain. The writers seemed to want to leave the possibility of there still being a Twilight-alternate in another city, given Pinkie's comments. Probably to allow future development of this alternate world. If so, Shining Armor will be with the Twilight-alternate.

If they really want to continue the IP and keep it separate from regular MLP, I can easily see alternate 'Twilight' really transferring in, and Cadence showing up at the same time as the 'young new teacher' trope. Shining Armor shows up on occasion when he has leave from the military, and falls for the new teacher.

• Brohoof 10

The plot hole that I saw in the movie was, we never saw Twilight in any classes at all in the school. We only saw her in the library, the cafeteria, and the principal's office. Also, the gymnasium and other locations. But, usually in high school your in classes and I understand that this is well a spinoff high school movie. So, let's leave it at that.

• Brohoof 8

1. Twilight never went to class

2. The element of magic was powerful on its own, as opposed to needing the other elements

3. Near the end, it is made clear that Spike can talk, yet in Fluttershy's introduction, he can only bark

4. Someone as wise as Luna would've noticed the obvious craft work that Sunset Shimmer framed Twilight with.

5. The mane 5 never attempted to make up their friendship after Sunset Shimmer sabotaged it, something real friends would've done

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

The plotholes I noticed where the fact that we never learned how Sunset Shimmer discovered the portal to the human world, the exact depth into bringing a element of harmony into a different world, what happened to Sunset Shimmer besides the obvious stated? and finally why is Sunset Shimmer forced to be in the human world? Did she get banished or something? finally why would you need a portal to another world Celestia?

Edited by MLPFanatic34
  • Brohoof 1

1. Twilight never went to class

2. The element of magic was powerful on its own, as opposed to needing the other elements

3. Near the end, it is made clear that Spike can talk, yet in Fluttershy's introduction, he can only bark

4. Someone as wise as Luna would've noticed the obvious craft work that Sunset Shimmer framed Twilight with.

5. The mane 5 never attempted to make up their friendship after Sunset Shimmer sabotaged it, something real friends would've done

1. Twilight was never really enrolled in the school, none of the teachers knew her so it wouldn't seem anyone was missing from their class.

2. Its implied that the Element of Magic gained its powers from the human versions of the mane 6, they were likely similar enough to the true element bearers that it couldn't differentiate between them. Plus it enforces the message that the magic of friendship comes from the friends themselves, not the elements.

3. Spike pretended to not be able to talk when he realized thats not a normal thing in the human world. It wasn't until twilight told her friends of her true nature that spike started talking openly around them.

4. Am i the only person that felt that Celestia and Luna didn't quite match up to their pony counterparts? Something about them felt "off."dry.png  Plus, those Photoshopped pictures of twilight wrecking the gym were pretty convincing.

5. It seemed that not all of them were on bad terms. AJ seemed to be on good enough terms with the rest of them except RD. It seemed all of them were only mad at one specific friend. They likely would have sorted it out on their own eventually.

The biggest plot hole to me was how Sunset shimmer knew that twilight had the element of magic and that she was in the castle when the portal became active?

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

Okay, the ones I would normally mention are all here, but someone who's really thought about the movie might be able to answer this:

What was Sunset's main motivation to separate the Mane 5 when they first became friends? Did she know that with their friendship, along with the help of someone who could unite them together as friends, would end up killing her? (After all, she's a villian who outright rejected the study of friendship when it was first offered to her by Princess Celestia.)

Edited by eskaryel
  • Brohoof 5

I'm not sure if this counts as a plot hole, but it's something I keep dwelling on. Twilight had no opportunity to bathe or shower. Did she brush her teeth? She slept in her clothes on dusty old books. Who showed her how a biped uses a toilet? Do ponies even have toilet paper? Did Rarity hose her off before dressing her for the dance? She was probably pretty ripe by then!

• Brohoof 15

(edited)

I just thought of a possible explanation as to how Sunset Shimmer knew of the Elements of Harmony and that twilight was in the castle. Depending on how long the portal stays open each time it opens  (because all we were really told was how much time it had left before it closed again)  for all we know, it could have opened earlier that day and sunset snuck out and saw twilight's arrival. She then went back in and waited til nightfall to return for the crown. Also, depending on how long 30 moons are, she may have snuck out before to check up on current events in Equestria and learned of the Elements. Remember, the mirror was previously kept in canterlot castle before it was moved to the crystal empire. She could have easily learned about some of the major events that took place in her absence and then returned to the human world to formulate a plan.

Edited by GrifCannon
  • Brohoof 4

One  is that Flash Sentry will not be in Season 4, so where will he be?

This is not a plot hole. It's likely he can easily go on vacation, maybe even die. 

Mine is the same as Kyoshis about the school not investigating the strange new purple student.

• Brohoof 2

This is not a plot hole. It's likely he can easily go on vacation, maybe even die. 

Mine is the same as Kyoshis about the school not investigating the strange new purple student.

Well it kinda of is.

How can you have one  new character now, then not have him later?  Makes no sense, and I highly doubt they'll just kill him off. It's not only a plot hole in Equestria Girls, but the upcoming season 4.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

MLP I think is better known for having some interesting ideas in creating its lore. But when you talk about the lore-logic, consistency and its continuity, it probably falls quite short due to the difference between how the series was originally conceived and how the current storyboard writers are handling it. Plus, the writers want to series to be something that isn't too dependent on having to follow the entire series to know what's going on similar to the Game of Thrones and want the series to be more like a classical American cartoon.

This unfortunately is something that's quite common in American cartoon and it is rare to see a cartoon that's story-oriented similar to the classical fantasy fictions. It's something that should be improved, but I suppose to a certain degree it's excusable given the cultural climate.

Edited by Phaeston-e12

I'm not sure if this counts as a plot hole, but it's something I keep dwelling on. Twilight had no opportunity to bathe or shower. Did she brush her teeth? She slept in her clothes on dusty old books. Who showed her how a biped uses a toilet? Do ponies even have toilet paper? Did Rarity hose her off before dressing her for the dance? She was probably pretty ripe by then!

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this! I know at my high school, there would be absolutely no way in hell anyone would give "Fall Formal Princess" votes to a weird new girl who has been there for all of two days, acts like a horse and also likely smells like body odor and bad breath. Maybe my high school was just weirdly intolerant though. Lol.

Other plot points I was questioning:

How did Sunset Shimmer manage to live in the other world for 4 (?) years? Who was she living with? And what happened to the that universe's version of Sunset Shimmer?

Twilight could barely stand up/walk like a human when she first arrived, but the next day is doing complex choreography with the Mane Five in "Helping Twilight Win the Crown?" Um...okay?

When Twilight tells Principal Celestia she's a new student, the only thing Celestia wants to know is whether she wants to run for Fall Formal. Seriously? That's the one thing you ask a brand new student?

Ages: Cheerliee is a teacher, but Big Mac is a student? And Photo Finish is also a student, despite seeming like she was quite a bit older than the Mane Six in Equestria. And the CMC, DT, SS, and Snips and Snails are in high school?

Why (aside from the fact that its the name of the product) was the movie called "Equestria Girls?" The girls (except Twilight) were not from Equestria and their school was called Canterlot High, so, where did "Equestria Girls" come from?

• Brohoof 10

Wondercolts, cute, great REF got the colors for the ears/tail even.

Yet where are these three, did i just miss them in the Jock group? Replies please, currently downloading the film as my theater is only showing it midnights now (went six times while it was mid day, morning, etc...oh yeah i am that awesome!)

What I think was a pretty big plot-hole, is that other people say 'Equestria Girls' was made for their target demographic, and yet they turn Sunset Simmer into a demon. What child, boy or girl, would like to see that?

I agree, there are quite a few plot holes. One  is that Flash Sentry will not be in Season 4, so where will he be? Another is where was Cadence in the human world?

It's very disappointing that Flash Sentry won't be in Season 4. There could've been so many plots...and it seemed as if Twilight was gonna have a boyfriend. 

• Brohoof 3

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this! I know at my high school, there would be absolutely no way in hell anyone would give "Fall Formal Princess" votes to a weird new girl who has been there for all of two days, acts like a horse and also likely smells like body odor and bad breath. Maybe my high school was just weirdly intolerant though. Lol.

Other plot points I was questioning:

How did Sunset Shimmer manage to live in the other world for 4 (?) years? Who was she living with? And what happened to the that universe's version of Sunset Shimmer?

Twilight could barely stand up/walk like a human when she first arrived, but the next day is doing complex choreography with the Mane Five in "Helping Twilight Win the Crown?" Um...okay?

When Twilight tells Principal Celestia she's a new student, the only thing Celestia wants to know is whether she wants to run for Fall Formal. Seriously? That's the one thing you ask a brand new student?

Ages: Cheerliee is a teacher, but Big Mac is a student? And Photo Finish is also a student, despite seeming like she was quite a bit older than the Mane Six in Equestria. And the CMC, DT, SS, and Snips and Snails are in high school?

Why (aside from the fact that its the name of the product) was the movie called "Equestria Girls?" The girls (except Twilight) were not from Equestria and their school was called Canterlot High, so, where did "Equestria Girls" come from?

Here are my thoughts on those...

1. Rarity probably gave Twilight a good round of soap and water in the gym's shower off camera. I suppose they were able to wash the stinky clothes too.  Also, the Canterlot High student body has probably long hated Sunset's attitude. 

2. That's a damn fine question. I'm stumped on how Sunset was able to establish herself in this humanoid world. What would authorities do with a new minor who just seems to appear out of thin air? Maybe the first year was very difficult in foster care and whatever. But once she got somewhat settled, Sunset is very intelligent and she can figure out ways to take advantage of almost any situation.

3. My guess is that, however this portal transformation happens, it works in a way that allows travelers to adapt in a minimum amount of time. The modified bodies almost seem programmed to do what the user wants it to do once they get over the initial shock of the new body shape and details.

4. Principal Celestia asking Twilight about the Fall Formal is a nod to Princess Celestia's amazing vision and foresight. Even so, Princess Celestia had plenty of evidence that the sky was literally the limit for the little filly named Twilight Sparkle. Principal Celestia, on the other hand, couldn't have had any inkling of who Twilight was, what she was capable of, or any clue about her destiny.

5. Everypony's ages seem discombobulated in this alternate reality. Because the school was the setting for almost the entire movie, everypony had to be either a student or faculty.

• Brohoof 3

Here is what I noticed.

In my opinion, the biggest plotholes are:

- Where is Sunset Shimmer's human version in this world? (Already brought up, but still)

- Is the entire human world a mirror of Equestria, or just the school? I mention this because why would Celestia and Luna be the principal and vice-principal of just a school of it were an actual mirror, since in Equestria they rule everything? 

- Where is Twilight Sparkle's human version in this world? I know Pinkie Pie asked Twilight if she had a twin in another city with a dog named Spike, but if this place was truly a mirror of Equestria, why wouldn't human Twilight be friends with the other human main cast? Also, if it's just the school that is mirrored, why would Twilight live elsewhere? (This also goes with Sunset Shimmer, assuming her human version is living somewhere else. Unless Sunset Shimmer "got rid" of her, which could be believable.)

I can swallow the learning to walk and such very quickly for movie time reasons, but I can't get my head around the stuff I've mentioned. (For example, when Twilight just comes out of the portal, she stands up and walks over to the horse statue in a bipedal posture, but she later has trouble knowing how to walk, but this is purely animation error / time constraint / overlook.)

• Brohoof 5

Am I the only one that thought that using the moon as a timer for the portal was incredibly dumb? I mean, the portals are synced, so the moons on both world must be too. But the moon on Equestria is under Luna's control. What?

• Brohoof 2

Im not really sure that constitutes a plot hole so much as the standing of EG in terms of cannon. Mainly that it isn't. Its pretty much like the DBZ movies are in relation to the show. Its made to fit in to continuity but is technical just a what if story. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Am I the only one that thought that using the moon as a timer for the portal was incredibly dumb? I mean, the portals are synced, so the moons on both world must be too. But the moon on Equestria is under Luna's control. What?

Yeah that is quite odd. 

It's most likely because the human world Luna has no magic (hence why all unicorns horns are missing) and therefore she cannot control the moon. So that's most likely why the both worlds moons can't be synced. Pony-Wolrd Luna can do whatever to her moon but Human Luna cannot.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Yeah that is quite odd. 

It's most likely because the human world Luna has no magic (hence why all unicorns horns are missing) and therefore she cannot control the moon. So that's most likely why the both worlds moons can't be synced. Pony-Wolrd Luna can do whatever to her moon but Human Luna cannot.

I'm guessing that in "Doug's World" there's a task force to study the moon's odd behavior on last summer, when Nightmare Moon screwed up summer sun celebration... XD