Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sergios117

I thought about all the age and gender groups that watch MLP FIM. Obviously little girls watch MLP, there's the whole brony fandom of males ages 14 and up, the pegasister fandom of girls 14 and up, so that just leaves...little boys.

So I ask you this, do little boys watch MLP or do they think it's girly junk? Also, are they aware that adults watch the show?

I know each little boy is different, but what have the ones you interacted have to say about MLP FIM?

Personally, if I had a son, I would encourage him to grow up watching MLP because not only is the quality of the show good, but the lessons are useful as well.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well I went to see Equestria Girls and there were some ten year old's dressed in some pony t-shirts so I guess there is part of the fandom made up of that age group. I'm going to have to say it's less common in those age groups though.

Edited by NocturnalRainbow
  • Brohoof 2

I have heard of little boys watching this, so yea they do. As demostrated above, i think all genders and ages watch this, and if it's on a kid's channel like the hub of course parents are gonna let their kids watch it.

I don't think little kids know there's bronies out there. When the nararator in the video asks if he's a brony, he says that's silly.They just know it's a great cartoon. :)

• Brohoof 8

I would say no, at that tender age they would live by what's popular for their gender, and usually parents raise their children accordingly to their gender, so I doubt parents would expose them to MLP for being a girls show, this is all bronies aside, because if you add the brony phenomenon into the mix, things can be different.

So, from the perspective of the boy and the show only, he probably would say "eww no, that's for girls"

Well I went to see Equestria Girls and there were some ten year old's dressed in some pony t-shirts so I guess there is part of the fandom made up of that age group. I'm going to have to say it's less common in those age groups.

When I went to see Equestria Girls I saw a family with two kids and one of them was a young boy and when I saw the Brony Documentary there was a young boy who is a fan featured in it. For how common is I don't know, but with how unlikely society thinks that teenage and adult men being into ponies I think that it might be more likely than much of us give credit for. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

When I consider there's a whole fandom of guys above the age of 14 with a good number of 20+ year olds, the possibility of little boys watching MLP is pretty much a given. How common it is for them is debatable, but I imagine there would be a good number of boys that age who watch the show as well. I think it's safe to say at least some of us older guys watched a girl's show when we were under 10. My first anime ever was Sailor Moon for that matter (tho factors pertaining to events outside of the show left me traumatized and will never ever touch that show again as a consequence).

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

If I had a little boy, I would tell him there is absolutely no shame in watching this show, because it's not fair to limit what people are allowed to watch depending on their gender. I would probably tell him about the fandom as well.

It's a great cartoon which teaches some great lessons, but I wouldn't push him into watching it, that would be quite cruel, if that's the right word.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone is a case. I, for example, liked to watch the 3 Awesome Spies or whatever. Besides, they are little, so not all of them have the thing on their head that "there are things exclusive to girls".

Actually, I just helped out at a kindergarten and I would regularly go in, wearing my MLP shirts. I had plenty of boys compliment my shirt and say how they liked the ponies on them (varied from Rainbow Dash to Big Mac). And then one of the teachers commented on how their son (7-8 years old) watched MLP and enjoyed it very much.

• Brohoof 5

If I had a little boy, I would tell him there is absolutely no shame in watching this show, because it's not fair to limit what people are allowed to watch depending on their gender.

I will admit that if I didn't know anything about the show or the fandom I would have the initial "you are watching what?" moment if I had a son and found out he was into ponies which I had when the friend who first introduced me to the show told me about it but after that passed I would encourage him to do whatever made him happy.

"You don't think that you're a Brony?"

"No... I'm Clark."

This kid.

This kid...

YES.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

*Wipes a tear of joy* 

Best answer ever. Just... perfect. Don't ever change, Clark. Don't ever change.

• Brohoof 5

When I was a little boy I was obsessed with a show for little girls. It was called " Magical Do Re Mi" Come to think of it, at a memorial day party a kid was bored and noticed I was watching My Little Pony so he joined in. The kid was 9 by the way.

• Brohoof 3

My 4 year old brother watches and loves MLP.

He also is obsessed with superheroes, though his favourite is Batman.

The only reason little boys would ever reject MLP is because their parents teach them that it's "only for girls." He's never been taught that the show was strictly for girls, so he doesn't think anything of it. 

The show is for "children 4-7" I read, somewhere. This includes both genders. 

• Brohoof 3

It depends on how their parents raise them, if their parents raise them with the whole "This is for guys and this is for girls" thing then they won't.

Otherwise they might if they enjoy it and actually watch the Hub. More likely atleast to if they already watch something else there.

But after getting a bit older, when girls start to become the "Ewww its a girl cooties" thing. And so does whatever they play with and watch then they might not.

Long as there not taught it they don't know the difference between girls and boys shows.

So I wouldn't doubt it, just little girls are more likely.

• Brohoof 2

I also saw a little boy when I went to see Equestria Girls. He watched it with his sister and family, and he was wearing the same MLP shirt that I was.

Also, when my brother was little, we watched the same shows and played with the same toys. But once he got criticized by his friends for liking some girly stuff, he stopped. =/ That's what I figure boys are like with MLP.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Depends on the family and the overall dorkiness of the said little boy. I know this one little kid who watches ponies all the time and he digs it, but he's also into other relatively dorky things.

I think most kids would enjoy the show, but at the same time I don't think too many boys would admit that they like it due to the previous generations that, you know, are still embedded in our minds and overall society.

Edited by Lord Bababa

...My little brother stole my Twilight Sparkle toy.

My brother is 5. He watches the show with me, and enjoys it quite a bit. His favorite pony is Rainbow Dash. :)

Yes.

My 7-year-old brother loves the show, though, I may be a bigger fan then him laugh.png

The show is made to appeal to a wide demographic, so it's not terribly surprising that even little boys are enjoying the show. It may have the words "My Little Pony" in the title, but the series is handled so much differently than its predecessors. So much better. The writers and producers know how to make a great cartoon that everyone can enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

Not really, no.  I've got a little brother who's 8, he laughs and calls My Little Pony stupid when he sees ads for it on TV.  And parents in general seem to be really conscious of gender roles, not letting their male children wear pink, play with dolls etc..., not letting them watch MLP would be in that same vein

I'm guessing that little boys watch the show since, the show's demographic appeals to a young audience. But, since the show can appeal to all audiences it would be right that boys watch the show too. So, the answer is yes. :)

Depends on the child, their upbringing, and what they've heard of it from others.

I, personally, know several little boys who hate the show, and one or two others who enjoy it.

(edited)

When I was a little boy I was obsessed with a show for little girls. It was called " Magical Do Re Mi" Come to think of it, at a memorial day party a kid was bored and noticed I was watching My Little Pony so he joined in. The kid was 9 by the way.

AAAHH I love magical Do Re Mi!!!! Seriously, at Fiesta Equestria, I bought a Dory riding Pinkie Pie badge, its super cute and says CUZ PINKS, THATS WHY. Although I wasnt really little when I started watching it, maybe like 12 or so, 

Also, sticking to topic, I have this little boy named Tyler in my class ( he's 8ish I think) And he LOVES Rainbow Dash, and asked me for drawing of the ponies. Although, much as I love having Tyler and all the little girls in my class who watch and love MLP, whenever they want drawings, I get one of two responses  about Rarity.

"Which one is Rarity?"

"I don't like her, she's weird."

Every time lol what do these kids have against best fashionista? lol

Edit: **I'm a Pre-school/Daycare teacher, I don't go to school with 8-year-olds lol**

Edited by SkyeRibbonPwny
  • Brohoof 1

They do watch the show. My brother (9) and my cousins (13, 5) all watch the show and have their own favorite pony. I got my brother hooked on the show. My mom wasn't too thrilled about it though.

• Brohoof 2

Well when I was at the theater seeing Equestria Girls, I saw this one little boy with a brony hat on.
I'd imagine they would, though they probably pretend not to for fear of being bullied. Plus, I've heard stories about how some brony's son, nephew or little cousin likes the show.

Wow, I went to sleep for a few hours and I got a bunch of replies thanks. 

Anyway, I went to the toy store to investigate after posting this and you'll never guess what I saw. On the way there, I saw a boy of around 8 years old wearing an orange Applejack T-shirt. Then, when i got to the store, I saw a boy of around 4-5 years old clutching a Rainbow Dash plush close while he was looking at lego. That was heartwarming.

To top it off, I overheard a pair of parents getting their young son a transformers action figure with a Pinkie Pie plush.

• Brohoof 1