Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to see Sunset Shimmer in the future in MLP?

Razzmataz

Apologies if this is the wrong forum,  I figured since Sunset Shimmer so far is special to EqG this would be the best place for this discussion.

Before I continue, let me just say that I am not saying we should have another go at EgG or have another look into their world, nor am I saying human SS should appear or that this should necessarily be included in season 4.

I'll also add to have an open mind here, because my suggestions may seem "out there" to some. tongue.png

I really liked SS for the fact that her back story is incredibly intriguing to me. I've always known Twilight as Celestia's student so to know there was one before her...well, it could've been obvious but to have her referenced in any way really interested me. I want to know more about her. I love new ponies and especially ones with juicy background stories. I'll talk about this more later.

She was hardened after her teachings with Celestia and her thirst for power went unquenched. But what was she like before this? Was she a nice, normal pony like TS? I assume she was, if she was under Celestia's "wing" so to speak.

But let's say...that in S5, if there is a season 5 that is, the portal opens up. Maybe not in the show as to not reference the movie...but either way, after being redeemed and learning about what it is like to have frtiends in the human world SS comes back to Equestria to make amends. Specifically with Celestia and Twlight.

This is the part where it gets kind of crazy, so proceed with caution.

What if SS became a mane pony? Like one of the mane 6?...er, 7?

Twilight is a princess and while that wouldn't change her roll in the show or her friends, she could easily take on a student of her own and who better than SS, the one she 'defeated' and got to admit to her wrongdoings? And now SS is back to learn about friendship. And I know what you're probably thinking. The mane 6 are more than friends, they are the elements of harmony. What if (in some way that I'm not talented enough to think up) there could be another element added? A new one, perhaps humbleness. And Twilight could help guide SS to understanding this magic and making friends in Equestria.

It could also teach kids acceptence and maybe taking those who are damaged in some way, or are new to their area and teaching them how to be kind and make friends with others like TS would with SS? You know, since its a kids show and morals and stuff. blink.png

tl;dr I'm crazy and want SS to be a mane pony but It'll most likely never happen, but how would everyone react if SS became a character (not necessarily a 'mane' character) on MLP:FiM?

• Brohoof 4

I wouldn't mind seeing her in an episode, shes a cool character and all. However I don't want her as like a mane cast member, just kinda a character that maybe shows up in another episode or possibly 2.

• Brohoof 1

Heck yes. I always found Sunset Shimmer's character design appealing (in other words, she's cute), and I thought her character in EqG was interesting. I wouldn't want her to become a member of the Mane 6, but it would be cool to see her show up on occasion as a friend. Sigh.. a Sunset Shimmer fanboy can only dream wub.png

• Brohoof 2

Hey, it's not that crazy of an idea. I've also wondered if Sunset Shimmer could join the Mane Six. In my opinion, it wouldn't be totally out of the question. It is not uncommon for shows much like FiM to add in new lead characters in order to keep things interesting and garner more attention. At the very least, she could be a strong recurring character, which would be enough for me, but here's why I think we should have more Shimmer in a major role:

1. To add another unicorn to the group. Applejack and Pinkie Pie are earth ponies. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are pegasus ponies. Rarity is the sole unicorn pony now that Twilight is an alicorn pony. Sunset Shimmer just so happens to be a unicorn, so by adding her, a new and better balance would be created. Besides, a new character freshens things up and gives us some new stories to be told.

2. Her design is unique enough to fit in with the gang, which I feel is important. Everything from her light amber coat to her red and yellow mane is completely different from the Mane Six ponies. Her eye color might be the same or very close in color to Fluttershy's, but her eye shape and eyelashes are different. Her cutie mark is also very intriguing. Personally, I'd like to see how she earned it.

3. In order for Sunset to join the main cast, she would have to have a personality and role that the other characters don't already have so that she would be unique. The Mane Six occupy almost all of the popular character archetypes, but one super popular type of character is the anti-hero. The anti-hero is a character who might be stoic and apathetic, and struggles with doing the right thing, (which we know Sunset does) but deep down has a very good heart. Of course, she would need enough charms and quirks to stay likable for viewers, especially the young ones.

4. It benefits Twilight. Since we know Sunset has never had friends before, she would be in a similar situation as Twilight was at the start of the series. Sunset would pour all she could into learning about friendship and becoming an overall wiser and kinder pony. If Twilight is to follow in Princess Celestia's footsteps, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Sunset to become Twilight's "student" of sorts, as Twilight has just about mastered friendship, whereas Sunset knows next to nothing about it. There is a lot of potential for character progression for both ponies.

Now, I know in order for Sunset to be a Mane pony she would need her own element of harmony, and as the OP said, I think it would be possible to write in a new one. As for how that would work or what the element would be I am not sure, but I do think it can be done. The elements of harmony are just a plot device anyway, so I think the writers could easily change things up a bit, especially now that Twilight is an alicorn. All it takes is a little creativity. wink.png

Sadly, it doesn't sound as if Sunset will appear in season 4, if Meghan McCarthy's Twitter is to be believed. I do think we will see Sunset again in other ways, but perhaps only in Equestria Girls related media, and not in Friendship is Magic. Either way, I'd like to see her again, and only time will tell if she returns in some way. I'm all for more of Sunset, whether she's a main character, recurring, or even minor.

Tl;dr: It might be a crazy idea, but it just might be crazy enough to work. tongue.png

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

(I just wrote a 5 Paragraph thing explaining it, then my Ipad ran out of battery, so this is the short version.)

I wouldn't mind seeing SS as part of the Human mane 6, pretty much replacing Twilight. It would make for an awesome TV show with love interest and other high school dramas. It would be really similar to other shows though.

Hasbro might do this, but it most likely won't happen. She'll probably appear later in the series, meaning season 4 or 5 Since 30 moons = 10 months. Depending on how Equestria does time.

In short, she'd probably be a friend and forgiven by Celestia, but EQ is a spin off so it may not even happen.

But here's a good question.

SS or Trixie?

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, and to be honest she's a cutie, but I wouldnt want to see her as apart of the Mane 6.

It wouldn't suit well, and it just wouldn't tie in, But I would love to see her in the Upcoming seasons for an Episode or two, it would be interesting in that sense.

For the love of all that is sacred she better not return. She was an extremely bland, underdeveloped character with no personality whatsoever. 

I wouldn't mind if she came back. Despite being a disappointing character, I still feel like she still has a lot more meat to make her a great, granted they don't screw it up

(edited)

I doubt we'll see anything from EG in FiM ever. This show already has 10 main characters, 12 if you count Celestia and Luna do we really need and more? I didn't hate her I just though that she was extremly underplayed and I was disappointed in how she turned out.

I wouldn't mind seeing her again but only if EG isn't canon.

Edited by Rappy0

I don't think Sunset Shimmer could join the Mane 6 without it seeming like they're off on the most enormous tangent with the Elements of Harmony. They aren't simply a plot device - they serve more purpose than being zap-away-villains artefacts. They made a great case for Keep Calm and Flutter On, didn't they?

That being said, I wouldn't mind Sunset Shimmer returning. While she'd never fit into the Mane 6, she could perhaps live in Canterlot learning to reform herself, and be one of those ponies that Twilight habitually meets on her visits there. It could be another message to the audience in itself - "There's always room for good, even if you've completely messed up beforehand."

I love Sugar Cube's idea too - what if Shimmer became Twilight's student? That would be a brilliant SOL episode, and a way for her to establish some place in Equestria if she's brought back by Hasbro. I wouldn't worry about Equestria Girls exclusivity - I mean, we already know she lived in Equestria previously.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I really wanted/expected more from her, considering in the movie (although Equestria Girls was an AWESOME movie) didn't really do much, and it didn't really explain her past and history that much. 

Also, her quick change from bad to good was kinda thrown in (I know it's an hour movie, but still), and I think she has way more potential as a villain for the show. Hopefully the writers include her in more, because all we know so far is that she's now apparently the new leader of the human mane six. So...it's pretty easy for her to regain power. 

So yeah, I really wanna see more Sunset Shimmer, as there's plenty of opportunities for her in the show!!

• Brohoof 1

WOW, this got a lot more replies than I had expected! Anyway, I pretty much figured most would rather her not be in the main cast but it's cool to see some people want her to make an appearance in the show :)

Her character was underdeveloped in EqG which was ashame, as I figured they could have done a lot more with her.

Sugar Cube - A lot of what you typed was what I was thinking. Especially Rarity being the sole unicorn in the group now.

Chaotic Griffon - Actually as I was typing the original post, I did think about it as Trixie kind of had the same sitruation happen to her: Be evil and boastful, have Snips and Snails as her henchmen, try to defeate Twilight and friends and end up losing to later feel humbled and apologetic. They are almost the same character indeed - I'm surpised they weren't friends in EqG.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be awesome to have an episode that dives further into Sunset Shimmer and her backstory. Part of the Mane cast? Uhhhhhhhh.... If that ever did happen, I'd have to see how they do that before I judge it. But a backstory episode I would love! She has so much potential that they kind of skipped over in EG. Not to mention she has an epic character design!

Actually... It's a great idea! I would fully vouch it. You also have many good reasons as well, I mean I wouldn't want to see humans on the show as that would spell the end, but bringing her in would probably rejuvinate it a little. Add a bit of spice before people start to get bored of it and us.

Humbleness would be a great addition, and she would probably get pushed around by Rainbow quite a bit at first, leading to at least a bit of extra story line. Also, Rarity is the only unicorn, it's true. And I'd love to delve into a new character a bit. 

Pretty much I'm saying yes definitely.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes! I would like her on the show because she is cute and may provide comic relief for the show like Pinkie Pie does. In fact, everyone at my showing of Equestria Girls laughed at

the Anti-Twilight commercial, and she did have a funny line in her demon form: "Spoiler alert: I was bluffing when I said I would destroy the portal!"

Edited by SunsetShimmerFan

I don't mind Sunset being in an Episode in Season 4, due to being a major villain in Equestria Girls. Maybe she will be the main villain in Season 4. We hope we get to see her in Season 4!

I didn't find her to be a particularly interesting villain.  Her plan was filled with logical flaws.  However, they have proven to able to improve on their previous work.

It is unlikely we will see her again.  The portal won't open for another 30 moons, or 2 years and 3 months.  Maybe in season 6?

I wouldn't mind seeing her in a episode in Season 4 at all, maybe coming into Ponyville in a disguise and probably asking Celestia fr forgiveness.

Yeah, I'd like to see her in MLP. Makes for a good plot! :D But being a mane cast member wouldn't do. She could be a side/background character in Canterlot, learning the teachings of Celestia, but a mane character wouldn't do much since the rest of the Mane Six didn't know that she's been reformed, so they might dislike her.

• Brohoof 1

Recently, I've seen posts hoping for a reappearance of Sunset Shimmer. I'm definitely alright with a return (as long as proper development and variety are included this time), but my question is, how?

Equestria Girls, I believed, established that this was the last we would see of Sunset Shimmer, as she would finally get to have the friends she truly needed. Why would you take her away from them? As for the HuMane 5, they already lost Twilight (and that seen made me sad, honestly), don't take away a best friend they'll surely make within "30 moons."