Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who should young girls look up to these days?

Harmonic Revelations

Wonder Woman.

2555515-wonder_woman_by_alex_ross_57.jpg

No, seriously.  There's a fascinating documentary I saw about Wonder Woman and other female heroes in media and how they reflect or impact society's views on gender and how they affect the progress of women in society today and what "girl power" really means.  Basically it's these fantasy ideals that allow young girls to believe that they can be as powerful as boys.

Here's the documentary:

http://wonderwomendoc.com/

I kinda look up to Jennifer Lawrence. People call her fat and chubby, but she says that she likes the way that she looks, and is not going to change. I can respect that.

If she is fat than I really don't want to see what their definitions of a "thin" woman are, seriously and people wonder why so many women try to starve themselves, it sickening.

Florence Nightingale

Marie Curie

Harriet Tubman

Fanny Crosby

Rosa Parks

Mother Teresa

That looks like a good list to me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

P!nk, springs to mind, infact she was one of my role models, though she isn't as prolific as she used to be and I haven't heard her produce a new single for what feels like, and probably is years.
P!nk for the following reasons:
She promotes being true to yourself whatever that maybe, she got through a lot of bad stuff in her life and made a sucess of herself, and many of her songs deal with negative body image and stereotypes "Perfect" and "Stupid girls".
The only bad thing she did imo was support PETA.

There are several feminists however that are deinitely not the good role models they initially appear to be, Greer for example was a transphobic, and Dworkin advocates violence.

Edited by Scrumpy
  • Brohoof 1

I've got a few-

P!nk, especially compared to what she looks like, she hasn't done anything crazy, and I know she supports some charities.

Every female athlete ever. Seriously. I can't believe no one's said that already.

Whoever they want to look up to. It doesn't have to be female either. A lot of my role models growing up were male. And men can have female role models too.

And I love Jennifer Lawrence. She is a good weight in my mind.

• Brohoof 2

Well, The Queen of Epicness, ahem, Twilight Sparkle, is a great role model, even if she isn't real.

Sit on your bed and be depressed half the time... and the other half of the time kicking flank.

Rainbow Dash is also a surprisingly good role model. She's strong, loyal, and willing to help her friends and sacrifice herself as we've seen in her microseries, among other places.

If you're looking for a 'real' person, I'm sorry, I can't help you there. I don't know many real people. Heh. Heh.

Florence Nightingale

Marie Curie

Harriet Tubman

Fanny Crosby

Rosa Parks

Mother Teresa

I concur. But I'd also add Mary Seacole, 

(For those of you who don't know, she applied to the war office during the Crimean War but they refused, but she decided to go and help anyway, independently.)

• Brohoof 1

Does one really need a celebrity or any other kind of "superior" to look up to, try to look and act as, to idolise?

It would seem to me that if kids of any gender should look up to anyone, it should be parents and in turn, parents should encourage them to be themselves, and individual, real person.

I think they shouldn't look up to ANY famous woman. Specially those who have starred in Disney shows. Those are generally the worst O.o

It's funny, Disney princesses get a lot of shit but I actually think a lot of them are brilliant role models. Belle didn't conform what people wanted her to be and gave everyone a chance no matter what they looked like. Ariel followed her dreams despite her father's disapproval. Mulan is just...Mulan, what can I say? Tiana worked her butt of to get her dream and stuck to her principles. Rapunzel is probably the one I identify with most as she took the guts to defy her emotionally abusive guardian and at the end actually stood up to her despite the years and years of abuse.

I am assuming you are talking about Lizzie McGuire show and such but it made me think of this anyway!

• Brohoof 1

@@Vay,

But, in all honesty, as much as I revere those princesses as classics and fabulous examples, can Rapunzel and Belle really compare to the mistress of friendship and magic herself, Princess Twilight Sparkle?

Mulan is the only one who comes close, but they're still not even in the same league as Twiley.

See this is where our society goes wrong we keep putting celebrities on such a high pedistal

when it should be female business leaders, scientist, artist, and women in general making change in progress in what ever field they are in.

Don't get me wrong their are a lot of good female celebs to look up to like Meryl Streep but our culture likes to focus on ones like Kim Kardashian :(

I really think that all mothers should act in a way where they are the first and foremost women that their daughters are able to look up to. 

Beyond that, I would definitely view Lauren Faust as a role model.

hemnes-mirror__75903_PE195130_S4.jpg

Do you know what it is? Its a mirror. Go look at yourself in some time. No I don't mean to groom yourself, look pretty or handsome, pop that nasty zit or yank out that irritating facial hair you may have. Look at yourself in that mirror. This is who anyone, little girls included, should first and foremost look up to - themselves. Only you can tell you who you really are - not your teacher, life coach, parents, siblings, best friends, not even God (if you believe in such a person(s)). 

If you cannot first believe in yourself and know who you are, how can you possibly hope to aspire to be someone you hardly know on a probably superficial level? I will say that though parents, siblings and close friends aren't necessarily "role models" they can help shape and guide you and often nurture and truly care for you so don't take that for granted.

People need to choose their own role models, not have society try and create some idol for them to worship. You are who you choose to be, not what anyone else tells you. Always remember that.

• Brohoof 2

That's a good question. Everyone I've looked up to has let me down. I never really had a figure in my own life to look up to. So I'd turn to celebrities. Then they'd do something that I think is wrong so then I'd be left hanging and alone. Even now apart of me still looks for a role model but I know I won't find one. When everyone else lets you down then your stuck with yourself. I don't like me but I know my right from wrong. I know better than to do the same stupid things that others have done to let me down. I may not be happy with myself now but that doesn't mean I won't be one day.