Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that I hate about OC's

♞RedLotus♞

Here is just a few things that tick me off about some people and their OC's. feel free to post your own opinions too!

Alicorns: Why an alicorn? The only alicorns that we have met so far are only princesses and royalty. I think its kind of selfish that you want your character to have both wings, and magic. Its like saying "Hey, since its my pony I might as well make him the best pony LOL". 

Dark OC's: Hey, you do know that not every OC has to be black, with red eyes, or purple hair and blood stains on their hooves right? Also, not every OC has to be some sort of dark warlock or look every similar to Luna. Whats up with peoples obsessions on dark things? 

Cannon and non cannon: I hate it when people say that their ponies are related to one of the mane 6 or any other pony thats cannon to the show. I also dislike the fact that some people make their OC's rulers of kingdoms, or siblings of celestia, and other things like that. 

Post your ideas!

• Brohoof 42

i kinda agree with this. still, i don't think people should stop doing it. i mean, if you feel like one of the aspects like the ones named  above make your OC complete, then i have no right to object.

but i don't really think it's very original, while the term OC stands for original character.

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah I can agree with you on alot of things that you wrote about in this topic such as dark ocs and the whole alicorn debacle but they are called "OC" for a reason. People may do whatever they want to their character and make a back-story that may tie-into the show's characters even the mane 6. You don't have to like every OC you come across and there are some bad ones. It just makes the good OCs shine even brighter among the others since those people push the boundaries and think outside the box a little. People appreciate creativity and I've seen some really good OCs. 

• Brohoof 4

For me, the number one thing I really dislike about OCs are when people simply don't put in the effort and say things like "This is the greatest OC ever with all the powers and abilities...". Basically, an all-out Mary Sue or Gary Stu. 

I have two alicorn OCs and neither of them rule over anything. One is a dark character, but I made him so that he's a good guy. The other one, has talent in music. 

I'd like to add "no personality." Some OCs are as bland as 2% milk, and have no recognizable character traits other than "flies faster than Rainbow Dash!" or "more magical-er than Twilight Sparkle!"

Edited by Mandalore Dash
  • Brohoof 9

Too many dead parent stories and absolute mary-sues.

Besides that, you basically hit the nail on the head, OP. Awful color schemes really annoy me, and people who only use pony-creator for their OCs.

• Brohoof 4

I can live with things like alicorns, if their backstory is decent. Relation to actual show characters is not that good. Bad color schemes... well, there's no accounting for taste.

But what I can't stand and what I already read in some fanfics are what I call "Backdoor Mary Sues/Gary Stus".

They have flaws that are so forced and it is obvious that they were only given to avoid a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but it failed. Of course, this is very subjective, but saying a character is outstanding and awesome in this point and in that point and then has a massive flaw out of a sudden is very... weak.

• Brohoof 2

I kind of make OC's too.  Though, I didn't decide anything except the color scheme (they don't have backstories, Parents, Names or even a Gender yet).  What I dislike the most about OC's is probably Alicorns.  That's just too easy.  Also, you have to be very good to not make them seem flawless.  

Also, I have nothing against Grimdark and Gore (even if I prefer nothing more than some blood, please don't throw guts in there...)

Edited by notdog1996

I sort of agree with what you're saying. I mean look at my OC:

http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/dj-alicorn-r4098

He's Dark and an Alicorn, but he's not evil. He is magically overpowered and flies very fast, but I barely ever have him use magic. He tries to do things bare-hoof first, and if that doesn't work he uses his wings to help, if that doesn't work he uses his magic, and very little of it. I have him try to lay low with the powerful magic so we don't attract any unneeded attention. I do agree that people are making too many Alicorn's and have them be too powerful though (and over-using their magic skills).

The only reason my OC is dark colored is to make him look badass. He's not evil, or chaos, or anything like that, he's neutral, he'll even help ponies out rarely. Other people who do have dark OC's are usually trying to make them look badass aswell, but the ones that are evil try to make them look intimidating.

My Alicorn originated from who know's where. He could be from a different world at the other side of the Universe or he could be from the Everfree Forest, or he could've been hiding out in Canterlot 'til now to show up... He could be from anywhere, and he won't say where he's from so good luck getting him to tell you. And I don't claim that he's related to one of the Mane 6 or from Celestia or Luna, Me and Him are both just big fans of the show and all the ponies in it (he wont admit it but I know he is :umad: )

Anyone agree with what I'm sayin'? B)

Stupidly badass OC's - the ones that have something like a gun or a skull as there cutiemark and have some kind of dark past. I'm fine with them when its in the right RP, but when people try to put them in a more slice of life RP it just come out as stupid.

OC's that are romantically connected to a character with in the cannon- I don't feel like i have to explain it.

• Brohoof 4

Well, i don't really "hate" Oc's exactly with the issues you described, but i do agree they are kinda cliche. That said I don't really hate them, idk maybes its because I don't RP or anything and less bothers me i guess.

But generally Black and red colored OC's or Alicorn OC's are pretty cliche, unless there is a very good reason for them.

And as for the cannon thing, i do agree that its a bit weird having an OC be apart of something cannon, or related to the mane 6, i can see them being friends possibly with them, but even then it can be strange sometimes.

I suppose some backstories can be quite, dark, to dark really, seems like alot of OC's backstories are quite traumatic, which I guess if its a ponysona and its representing your life is ok i guess, but idk I feel like alot of backstories are quite traumatic.

But idk, its not really my place to critique, i mean i haven't even made a backstory for my Ponysona, and my OC isn't really that great in the first place, I don't have the art skills to make some super special custom OC so i'm stuck with pony creator, which alot of people dislike, putting my OC farther down their list. 

So idk, i really don't think I should be talking to be honest. I don't make great Oc's exactly, or even have alot of experience reading OC backstories.

• Brohoof 3

Alicorn OCs and usually dark backstories. I can't really let the Alicorn OCs slide, since everyone knows that they are overpowered and should not be created. Secondly, having a dark backstory is okay but they are repetitive and at least give them a happy backstory.

I can agree with some points.

Alicorns:

Yeah I don't like them either. They are usually too OP to really like.

Dark OC's

I can agree somewhat here. Sometimes a good dark story makes a person quite interesting. Having an unfortunate life and then seeing them mixed into an happier envrioment makes for interesting events.

Cannon and non cannon:

To be honest; I rarely see OC where they're related to canon ponies. I don't have too much of a problem with it either. Mainly because one of my OC's is a cousin of Pinkie Pie but it's not like I make a big deal about it.

The thing  I dislike about people's OC's is when they don't put enough creativity in them. 

Some Alicorn OC's I can deal with, other ones...not so much. A majority of OC's are DJ's as well...something different would be great.

So, let's see, I dislike these things about an OC:

• SOME Alicorns, some I have seen are actually fairly well done.
  • DJ OC's....pick a different talent...geez.
  • Related to cannon characters.

But what it boils down to, is how the OC is someone's character and my persuasion won't change an OC most of the time. So, it's not really my business.  :huh:

• Brohoof 2

It's just a demographic that is usually connected with Roleplaying, I know this very well because I host multiple table-top RP games. People always want this "Dark and emo-like" character who's parents died. Then they always want to be some all-powerful badass guy they can't be rather than just starting off with fundamental basics. 

I have an OC just to have one, just a normal Pegasus who just grew up in Ponyville and taught himself to fly. Nothing that special about him. I hate it when people spoil the happy look of MLP with there dark and brutish OCs. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah bland OC's annoy me, especially ones that try to be badass like alicorns, anything gorey, overly generic colors red and black, and especially the ones that make use of demons or hell are my least favorite. I generally don't like the OC if the only effort put into it was ponycreator, I drew an OC once, then I realized later the backstory was stupid so I didn't look twice at it. I also find just a lot of the back stories to be incredibly generic and boring, my parents are dead rings a bell.

• Brohoof 2

what-grinds-my-gears.jpg

I agree.most OCs I see are not very well thought out. With that I See quite a few Alicorns. and a lot of weird colour combinations.

I also don't get "Dark" OCs...I mean MLP is supposed to be bright and colourful! Dark colour OCs just don't fit into the pony universe...Luna being an exception.

as for Canon and non-canon stuff...I really hate that. like "This is my OC daughter/son of Rainbow Dash and Soarin" no,just no. I really dislike any OC that has anything to do with any of the mane 6. but saying like "My OC is a member of the Wonderbolts" I See that as being totally fine as there's quite a few unnamed "background" Wonderbolts.

also the amount of "blankflank" OCs I see....too many of them....

also DJ OCs...there's too damn many of them.

Edited by Flutter Dash
  • Brohoof 4

I don't have a problem with Alicorns, and ponies related to canon characters, as long as your stories have common sense and are truthfull to the show's premise, make that story to have sense, and I'm sold! of course, please make that OC with a decent design at least.

Pony Creator is the worst piece of software ever created for this fandom, and it sucks, because it looks like a lot of hard work was put into it. But God dammit the creatures that escape that program are beyond ridiculous, people without creativity shouldn't be allowed to use this program, which leads me to my only complain.

Don't hurt my eyes with horrible colors that don't blend well, design a normal OC! and please quit the horrible accessories that PC provides, they are just horrible. If your OC is something different, let's say, a pony like king Sombra, LOOK FOR AN ARTIST, don't use PC to create a "unique" pony.

Too many dead parent stories and absolute mary-sues.

I don't get why having dead parents has anything to do with being a Mary Sue

For me, the number one thing I really dislike about OCs are when people simply don't put in the effort and say things like "This is the greatest OC ever with all the powers and abilities...". Basically, an all-out Mary Sue or Gary Stu. 

I have two alicorn OCs and neither of them rule over anything. One is a dark character, but I made him so that he's a good guy. The other one, has talent in music. 

to be really honest with you, I find your OC design quite ridiculous (the yellow one)

• Brohoof 3

to be really honest with you, I find your OC design quite ridiculous (the yellow one)

Yeah, well, that was my very first OC, but I believe they've gotten better. It's usually the first OCs that get the harsh words and major changes.  

• Brohoof 1

I don't get why having dead parents has anything to do with being a Mary Sue

I didn't specify, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that as being the same thing, I meant it as two different points. as in, I think that there's too many dead-parent stories AND too many outright Mary-Sues. Let me go reword my post~

I can live with things like alicorns, if their backstory is decent. Relation to actual show characters is not that good. Bad color schemes... well, there's no accounting for taste.

But what I can't stand and what I already read in some fanfics are what I call "Backdoor Mary Sues/Gary Stus".

They have flaws that are so forced and it is obvious that they were only given to avoid a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but it failed. Of course, this is very subjective, but saying a character is outstanding and awesome in this point and in that point and then has a massive flaw out of a sudden is very... weak.

Behold: The great and powerful wizard Alicornius!

post-13195-0-65659100-1375734978_thumb.png

This badass motherbucker controls the sun, the moon, the stars, the planets, and the menstrual cycles of every lonely mare in Equestria! He's secretly the father of all six of the main cast, with the exception of Applejack.

He's actually her mother.

He don't take no shit from nopony, and if you get on his bad side, he will use his powerful alicorn magics to turn you inside out and explode you like mo'fracken dynamite! The last thing you will see is your tail flying off towards griffon territory... Before Alicornius grabs it and uses it to seduce your sister!

But sadly, he must live with a tragic past. 100,000,000 years ago, his father challenged him to a badass competition and threatened to beat him if he lost. Luckily, Alicornius won the badass competition and his father melted in the presence of his sheer uber-badassery. His last words were "You are truly the sexiest and most badass alicorn in all of Equestria."

But this babe magnet of a pony is not without his fatal flaws. Alas, he was born with a critical birth defect. He is lactose intolerant. Just one slice of cheddar, and he farts out a rainboom that be seen and heard from every corner of the world. All ten of them. That's right, he counted!

• Brohoof 17

Yeah, well, that was my very first OC, but I believe they've gotten better. It's usually the first OCs that get the harsh words and major changes.  

it doesn't happen with everyone, so far I haven't went wrong with any of my oc's, from the first to the last.

I didn't specify, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that as being the same thing, I meant it as two different points. as in, I think that there's too many dead-parent stories AND too many outright Mary-Sues. Let me go reword my post~

but what's so bad about having dead parents?

but what's so bad about having dead parents?

I find that faaaaaar too many OC's have this as a main part of their backstory. I think that the idea could have been a very good one, especially if the character happened to be mentally unstable or depressed or something of that sort, though. However, I see so many OC's with this as a pivotal point in their history, it really detracts from the effect that it would have had on the character.

For example, Batman's parents were both killed. That makes quite the emotional reasoning behind why he's become who he is now. Now imagine if the Joker's parents had both been killed, and Harvey Dent's, and The Riddler, and Robin's, and any other charcacter from the series. It makes the idea of the parent's deaths worth less, don't you think?

• Brohoof 1