Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How patriotic are you, and why?

Radost

It depends on what level you take it to. If you simply do not like America's current political policies, then that is fairly normal sometimes even more so if you are going through a teenage rebellion phase. But if you hate your homecountry to the point of activity trying to destroy its infrastructor then no it is not normal. So it may be normal (even more so if you are in the 12-21 age group).

• Brohoof 2

It depends on what level you take it to. If you simply do not like America's current political policies, then that is fairly normal sometimes even more so if you are going through a teenage rebellion phase. But if you hate your homecountry to the point of activity trying to destroy its infrastructor then no it is not normal. So it may be normal (even more so if you are in the 12-21 age group).

More importantly, I can't think of any country that could be considered a "political utopia."

To a certain extent, no nation on Earth is without flaws, and the best patriots are often those who are all too aware of the flaws of their home and want to fix them.

That's where the line is, for me. Just saying "I don't like/I hate (insert here)" and leaving it at that is kind of an intellectual cop out. The natural follow up would be, "Okay, what are you going to do about it?!"

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

-General Carl Schurz

• Brohoof 1

If you don't like your own country, you probably admire a foreign country.

Is that bad? Well, not really. However, I don't think it's good to be called unpatriotic in public though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am not a fan of the country that I live in either, South Africa is rife with Corruption, Has the HIGHEST crime rate in the world and has a legal sex age of 12 (Not a joke, Google it!). I have come to hate my country and probably will some day move to a more economically stable country.

Strikes and workers downing tools has been a problem since day one of landing in South Africa, Our economy is dangling on the edge of a knife blade.

Edited by WunderWaffen
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, it's bad in the sense that you don't like where you're living. I personally love my country, I feel like it's a lot safer, and friendlier than many other countries. 

Edited by Dovashy
  • Brohoof 2

Not only it is normal, I think, for all our disparate backgrounds, that's the singular defining American trait!  :P

"The Government sucks!"

I am not a fan of the country that I live in either, South Africa is rife with Corruption, Has the HIGHEST crime rate in the world and has a legal sex age of 12 (Not a joke, Google it!). I have come to hate my country and probably will some day move to a more economically stable country.

Any chance the citizenry could change things for the better? I admit I'm not familiar with South African politics.

Every country has a flaw. The one thing I don't like about USA is those politicians with their stupid inflated ego, not saying that all of them have it. 

I am.  :okiedokielokie: No matter what party, no matter what promises they make. You can always tell when a politician is lying . . . . their lips are moving.

• Brohoof 1

Any chance the citizenry could change things for the better? I admit I'm not familiar with South African politics.

We are run by a president who was in court 1 YEAR BEFORE PRESIDENCY, for charges of rape. We are living in a Democratic Dictatorship in South Africa. The same political party has been voted in for 20 years.

I am.  :okiedokielokie: No matter what party, no matter what promises they make. You can always tell when a politician is lying . . . . their lips are moving.

Yep, they make promises, but they don't follow through at all...

• Brohoof 1

A lot of you are missing the point. Patriotism has nothing to do with appreciating your government. It's about standing by your nation's founding values. I love my country, not my government.

Humanity has never and probably won't ever perfect a government that can satisfy all political debates and civilian demands.  Just some countries deal with it better than others. This isn't primitive times either, if you want to move to another country or dislike your birth country it's perfectly fine. Though don't expect the country you'll be moving to will be paradise either.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see a problem.

Every country has a flaw. The one thing I don't like about USA is those politicians with their stupid inflated ego, not saying that all of them have it. 

Too optimistic.

We are run by a president who was in court 1 YEAR BEFORE PRESIDENCY, for charges of rape. We are living in a Democratic Dictatorship in South Africa. The same political party has been voted in for 20 years.

Maybe you or someone else could speak out? Gather some like minded people for change and vote the oppressive party out? Pardon my presumptuousness, if this is completely unfeasible as far as you can see it.

I don't see a problem.

Too optimistic.

Meaning what? That all politicians are liars?

(edited)

More importantly, I can't think of any country that could be considered a "political utopia."

Finland and Iceland are both examples of countries that have governments which work. I agree there's never going to be a "utopia" as such, but they're pretty much as close as you'll find in the real world.

They're also both beautiful countries. I'd love to visit both again.

Edited by ponypowa96
  • Brohoof 1

Finland and Iceland are both examples of countries that have governments which work. I agree there's never going to be a "utopia" as such, but they're pretty much as close as you'll find in the real world.

They're also both beautiful countries. I'd love to visit both again.

I agree that they're beautiful countries, but a government that "works" is subjective.

A lot of you are missing the point. Patriotism has nothing to do with appreciating your government. It's about standing by your nation's founding values. I love my country, not my government.

You do realize what your default/avatar picture is, right?  But I do agree with what you said.  Although I'd not vote for Nye if I was told I get a trillion dollars for doing it.  Sorry, just really dislike Bill Nye.

But, what you said about patriotism is correct.

Humanity has never and probably won't ever perfect a government that can satisfy all political debates and civilian demands.  Just some countries deal with it better than others. This isn't primitive times either, if you want to move to another country or dislike your birth country it's perfectly fine. Though don't expect the country you'll be moving to will be paradise either.

Unless of course we do what Equestria does and have a Thearchy. Not a theocracy but a true Thearchy, where the Godhead rules as both deity and sovereign. Briefly postulated by Alexis de Tocqueville:

The Deity does not regard the human race collectively. He surveys at one glance and severally all the beings of whom mankind is composed, and He discerns in each man the resemblances which assimilate him to all his fellows, and the differences which distinguish him from them. God, therefore, stands in no need of general ideas; that is to say, He is never sensible of the necessity of collecting a considerable number of analogous objects under the same form for greater convenience in thinking. Such is, however, not the case with man.

However, in the (conceivable) absence of God, you're absolutely correct.

What do you think? answer that.

Well . . . yes, yes I do. I still believe in my country as an idea even if I don't like it's political makeup. One can never be too optimistic, we have enough cynics in the world already. We need people who sincerely believe in justice, happiness, and harmony.

(edited)

I agree that they're beautiful countries, but a government that "works" is subjective.

I believe that what defines whether or not a government works is how satisfied the people are (or not) with it. If a government isn't working for the people, what is it doing?

The previous president of FInland was loved so much by her people she was even nicknamed "Moominmamma" (she is a character from a children's show called "THe Moomins" which is popular in the Nordic countries, and the Moominmamma is always seen to be a caring, maternal figure who does what she can to help Moomin Valley). Her approval rating while in power was at around 90% iirc. Finland was also ranked as the least corrupt country in the world last year and the third least corrupt this year (behind Denmark + NZ).

And while I don't know too much about Iceland's government, they were the world's first parliamentary democracy and are consistently ranked amongst the least corrupt countries in the world. They also managed to singlehandedly pull themselves out of a recession and are now a prosperous country.

I never said these governments were perfect, just that they're probably two of the best examples of a government that works and pleases its people. I'm sure there are other great examples worldwide than the two I've listed. I chose these two countries because I consider them to be two of the nicest places in which one could live overall and not just because of governmental issues. :P

Edited by ponypowa96

I don't think it's bad or wrong; I think it's rather natural.  Frankly, I have a harder time understanding patriotism lol.  "Hooray for [insert country name here], it's where my house is..."  I also live in the U.S.  I'm...  Not the patriotic type. xD  I mean I'm sure every country has its problems.  Pros and cons, both.  (Though Japan seems pretty awesome - they have gum that makes you dance over there!)  And I realize I've certain advantages living here.  But sometimes it seems like we're way behind or backwards in certain ways.  Backwards, outdated thinking and ideas combined with (and even contributing to) an increasingly polarized populace.  Where I live, I'm much better off keeping some (and by some I mean all) of my opinions on things like religion, sexuality, and politics to myself.  But anyone who don like my pony shirts can suck it because I'm not wearing them for their benefit. :P

And I'm sorry, but - aesthetically speaking - the U.S. flag is waaaaaay too busy.  I like the German flag, Italian flag, Japanese flag...  Even the French flag.  The French flag utilizes blue, white, and red, as well!  But I prefer what they did with it; relatively simple and pleasing to the eye.  Just saying.  We should totally copy France and mix up the colors.  And then when France says we copied them we just say, "What?  We didn't even know what your flag looked like."  Done.