Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How patriotic are you, and why?

Radost

Maybe you or someone else could speak out? Gather some like minded people for change and vote the oppressive party out? Pardon my presumptuousness, if this is completely unfeasible as far as you can see it.

People have tried. I have tried. A political Party known as the DA, who I actively support, has stepped up to the plate. But they are always defeated by the ANC, the main political party. The ANC during voting times give out food, alcohol (Not kidding) and building materials to the poorer population of our country, in return for their vote. That is about 75% of our country that were "bribed".

DA supporters, before the final count was finished, were told to "Go home!", They were also told that they had lost.  If they had stayed on the other hand, they mostly would have been killed in a rion, Again, not kidding.

After the vote was completed, a Woman walking her dog, found black bin bags filled with DA votes. Outside a voting station. Thank god she found them, and reported it.

.Not much room for change in our country. Especially when It is filled with old men, reliving the tribal past.

• Brohoof 1

People have tried. I have tried. A political Party known as the DA, who I actively support, has stepped up to the plate. But they are always defeated by the ANC, the main political party. The ANC during voting times give out food, alcohol (Not kidding) and building materials to the poorer population of our country, in return for their vote. That is about 75% of our country that were "bribed".

DA supporters, before the final count was finished, were told to "Go home!", They were also told that they had lost.  If they had stayed on the other hand, they mostly would have been killed in a rion, Again, not kidding.

After the vote was completed, a Woman walking her dog, found black bin bags filled with DA votes. Outside a voting station. Thank god she found them, and reported it.

.Not much room for change in our country. Especially when It is filled with old men, reliving the tribal past.

I'm really sorry your home is in such a bad way. I guess there is no easy solution from within other than to lead by example in one's own life. In the end, isn't that all we can do?

It's not bad if you hate the country that you live in.

I personally can't really make any comparisons to any other country because I haven't traveled to a foreign land.

But, I can say I strongly dislike the decisions that our government makes, but I don't want to speak politics too much.

I'm really sorry your home is in such a bad way. I guess there is no easy solution from within other than to lead by example in one's own life. In the end, isn't that all we can do?

Home is bad. But the people there are good. Kind, respectful and wholesome. To lead by example is one of the things that I have always followed in life, It's good to see another who follows that simple, yet ground-breaking rule. In the end, we are here to enjoy life! Not for me to B*tch about my country on the forum. We have similar positive attitudes, I like that, I think we can go far in life with them. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Home is bad. But the people there are good. Kind, respectful and wholesome. To lead by example is one of the things that I have always followed in life, It's good to see another who follows that simple, yet ground-breaking rule. In the end, we are here to enjoy life! Not for me to B*tch about my country on the forum. We have similar positive attitudes, I like that, I think we can go far in life with them. 

Is that simple principle not one of the ideals the show instills in us as bronies?  :)

In Family Appreciation Day, Granny Smith showed both Applebloom and us why she is the Apple family matriarch.

She's not like Rainbow Dash, who constantly asserts she's awesome (albeit she can usually back that up), or Twilight, who's intelligence makes her a natural leader; Granny Smith inspired her granddaughter and the other class colts and fillies by simply being a good pony and recounting what she's done in her life.

In the end, the only person we can control is ourselves, and that alone is worth striving to achieve.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Is that simple principle not one of the ideals the show instills in us as bronies?  :)

In Family Appreciation Day, Granny Smith showed both Applebloom and us why she is the Apple family matriarch.

She's not like Rainbow Dash, who constantly asserts she's awesome (albeit she can usually back that up), or Twilight, who's intelligence makes her a natural leader; Granny Smith inspired her granddaughter and the other class colts and fillies by simply being a good pony and recounting what she's done in her life.

In the end, the only person we can control is ourselves, and that alone is worth striving to achieve.

Amen brother!

I say Amen slightly ironically as I am not religious. but back to the point. We are the controller of our own destiny, I just hate to see people who are unaware of this.

A government cannot control who you are, A government cannot control your emotions. But people let the fat-cats take control of them. Saddening to say the least.

Oh... and hold on there... Rainbow Dash IS awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Nobody likes politics but that in and of itself is no reason to dislike the whole country.  If you are growing really frustrated with your country, I suggest looking up what human beings used to do to other human beings in the World History books or even what they still do to each other in places like Africa and the Middle East.  Upon reflecting this, suddenly the fact that your local municipality can't synchronize the traffic signals to save its life doesn't seem to be that big of a problem anymore, along with any other governmental problem that happens to be bothering you at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

Amen brother!

I say Amen slightly ironically as I am not religious. but back to the point. We are the controller of our own destiny, I just hate to see people who are unaware of this.

A government cannot control who you are, A government cannot control your emotions. But people let the fat-cats take control of them. Saddening to say the least.

Oh... and hold on there... Rainbow Dash IS awesome.

Oh totally! It's just that there is a significant difference between the prism bursting awesomeness of Dash, and the quiet, if eccentric awesomeness of Granny Smith.

Again, you're absolutely right though. Many revel or cower in the false agency of government and institution rather than focusing on mastering their ultimate agency of the Self.

• Brohoof 1

There is no perfect government in the world. Every country has faults, some more than others.

Patriotism is loving your country. Everything else (Government, people) is irrelevant for this particular word.

In that case, then to answer the question, I'd say yes.

People almost always see the bad side of their own country, mostly because the media is built to talk about the negative issues. Are there positive ones? Yes, but we're not seeing them right now. It's just not as interesting to show how someone gave his or her seat in the subway or telling someone that they dropped his wallet. 

You should be glad that the U.S. is at the least more stable and developed than most countries. 

Many revel or cower in the false agency of government and institution rather than focusing on mastering their ultimate agency of the Self.

Quick question: Are you religious? I have a theory that I would like do discuss about the self, and you seem a intellectual equal to myself.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not bad at all to be dislike your own nation. That just means on a higher level, you care about politics. No nation is infallible and sometimes your own can do some pretty crappy things. I think that blind patriotism is a lot worse because it often focuses only on the good aspects of a country and hypes the crap out of them.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2

Quick question: Are you religious? I have a theory that I would like do discuss about the self, and you seem a intellectual equal to myself.

Yes. Yes I am. And I'm more than happy to continue this on PM, just so we don't d-rail the thread.  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

You do realize what your default/avatar picture is, right?  But I do agree with what you said.  Although I'd not vote for Nye if I was told I get a trillion dollars for doing it.  Sorry, just really dislike Bill Nye.

But, what you said about patriotism is correct.

The avatar is not meant to be taken seriously. :D

Although, a "trillion dollars" seems like a bit of an exaggeration...

I wouldn't want Bill Nye to be the actual president. I don't hate him or anything, it's just that I don't believe he's right for the job. (I don't trust him to fix the economy or run the military.)

Although, I'm curious as to why you'd "dislike" him so much. If you don't want to cause any debates over it you could pm me.

(edited)

The avatar is not meant to be taken seriously. :D

Although, a "trillion dollars" seems like a bit of an exaggeration...

I wouldn't want Bill Nye to be the actual president. I don't hate him or anything, it's just that I don't believe he's right for the job. (I don't trust him to fix the economy or run the military.)

Although, I'm curious as to why you'd "dislike" him so much. If you don't want to cause any debates over it you could pm me.

Oh no worries.  I do hope you know I was meaning no harm no foul.  And yes, it was an exaggeration  :derp: ...

The reasons I dislike him (in the spoilers):

His words make me sick.  He bad mouths us as if we're idiots.  Just because we don't believe in evolution doesn't mean we are holding back anyone, let alone ourselves.  It's not that I dislike him because he's atheist (I have plenty of friends who are), but it's because he's so anti-Christian.  As a Christian I should turn the other cheek.  But this... is just too much.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/bill-nye-reveals-backlash-after-creationism-debate-with-ken-ham-114381/

"Somebody out there hates me enough to actually deface their own car," Nye told CBS 58 News on Monday, showing a photo that was sent to him. The photo is of a car with its windows marked with the lettering "Bill Nye the Science Lie."

"I think that car was a caravan which has fuel injection. People use the technologies without really appreciating where it all came from. It's troubling," Nye added.

As a gearhead, and a Christian, I find it utterly naive for him to say that.  As if we know nothing about cars because we believe in God.  Riiiight.  Because that's totally relevant.  

I'm not wanting a debate, though, lol.  I'm just telling why I dislike him.   :muffins:

Edited by Miles

(edited)

post-20017-0-29092700-1405140409_thumb.png

While I am proud of some of my country's and achievements in the past, our recent governments have left a lot to be desired with just endless streams of BS and excuses for their failures. Its just all devolved into a political game of 'pin the tail on the donkey' and flat out lying on promises they have no intention of keeping.

(Being British however, I always take the "Sneering Imperialist" perk in Fallout... we did once own 7/8th of the world's surface XD)

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

Oh no worries.  I do hope you know I was meaning no harm no foul.  And yes, it was an exaggeration  :derp: ...

The reasons I dislike him (in the spoilers):

His words make me sick.  He bad mouths us as if we're idiots.  Just because we don't believe in evolution doesn't mean we are holding back anyone, let alone ourselves.  It's not that I dislike him because he's atheist (I have plenty of friends who are), but it's because he's so anit-Christian.  As a Christian I should turn the other cheek.  But this... is just too much.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/bill-nye-reveals-backlash-after-creationism-debate-with-ken-ham-114381/

"Somebody out there hates me enough to actually deface their own car," Nye told CBS 58 News on Monday, showing a photo that was sent to him. The photo is of a car with its windows marked with the lettering "Bill Nye the Science Lie."

"I think that car was a caravan which has fuel injection. People use the technologies without really appreciating where it all came from. It's troubling," Nye added.

As a gearhead, and a Christian, I find it utterly naive for him to say that.  As if we know nothing about cars because we believe in God.  Riiiight.  Because that's totally relevant.  

I'm not wanting a debate, though, lol.  I'm just telling why I dislike him.   :muffins:

To be honest, people treat Bill Nye as if he's something, when in reality he is far from a professor (only has a bachelor's degree) and has done no scientific documents, save for some children's program. 

At least Neil Tyson does something. Michio Kaku / Nikolai Kardashev are my votes, however.  ;)

People almost always see the bad side of their own country, mostly because the media is built to talk about the negative issues. Are there positive ones? Yes, but we're not seeing them right now. It's just not as interesting to show how someone gave his or her seat in the subway or telling someone that they dropped his wallet. 

You should be glad that the U.S. is at the least more stable and developed than most countries. 

I wasn't born in the US. I moved here after immigrating via adoption, and frankly, I've seen both the Old world and New world. I do think that the US overall is indeed far better than Kazakhstan post-USSR collapse, and it changed my world view upon coming here. While there are shortcomings, when a country overall has great services for its citizens, it's a good thing to be patriotic for it, even with its faults.

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't born in the US. I moved here after immigrating via adoption, and frankly, I've seen both the Old world and New world. I do think that the US overall is indeed far better than Kazakhstan post-USSR collapse, and it changed my world view upon coming here. While there are shortcomings, when a country overall has great services for its citizens, it's a good thing to be patriotic for it, even with its faults.

Heh, I'm Chinese myself (if the patriotism wasn't enough to imply that), though I was born in California. My parents are from Taiwan/ Republic of China, however, and I do know how to speak Chinese myself. Honestly though, while it's developed, it still has some distance to be on par with Japan or Singapore. 

I don't dislike China, but I don't like its government. The economic inequality there is far more serious than the U.S., and the government is corrupt. There's a lot of issues with bribery and the such. 

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I'm not patriotic, for me, patriotism is a tool used to manipulate people. Like My ex-god Chavez used his whole rule, even with bullshit that it doesn't matter if we're out of electricity as long as we got patriotism  >_>​ . Good thing he's dead now

Yes, I do. But I think we need better people in the government. Ones that don't spy on us, and actually do some big stuff.

• Brohoof 1