Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How patriotic are you, and why?

Radost

(edited)

Well patriotism in Ireland is basically hating the English. Loving and Admiring the old IRA and remembering the rebellions. I am kinda patriotic but I love the English. They are like everyone and have flaws, but they have good aspects as well. When I was young and I was learning about the 1916 rebellion and  Micheal collins I had a desire to watch England burn. But then I grew up and realized that is all in the past and everyone to blame for what happened is dead. I do still love Ireland and as for the IRA I still have mix feelings. I also remember the rebellions it's just I  don't hate the English nor have a desire to watch England burn. That being said Ireland has a good enough  government but the Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) has his fecking thumb up his arse but I'm sure everybody can say the same for their governments.

Patriotism is an admirable thing but it often blinds oneself from the follies of ones own country.

Edited by Bluehooves
  • Brohoof 1

Not particularly, although I do not buy into that Zeitgeist stuff, or anything of the type. However, I'm well aware of the fact that my country isn't perfect. For one thing there are still prejudices such as sexism and homophobia running rampant in the system, and oftentimes being under the disgusting guise of 'religious freedom'. Which is just so messed up I don't even know where to start. What a sad state we are in.

I used to have some patriotism... When I was still young and naive. I was raised to be so, but I quickly saw that we still have these major issues and others.However, I know that I'd rather live in this country than perhaps over 99% of the other countries in the world. The problems I mentioned above are magnified times a billion in other countries. I just think... We should be better than this. We were supposed to be... But things were screwed up from the beginning... Screw patriotism. lol

• Brohoof 1

Not particularly, although I do not buy into that Zeitgeist stuff, or anything of the type. However, I'm well aware of the fact that my country isn't perfect. For one thing there are still prejudices such as sexism and homophobia running rampant in the system, and oftentimes being under the disgusting guise of 'religious freedom'. Which is just so messed up I don't even know where to start. What a sad state we are in.

I used to have some patriotism... When I was still young and naive. I was raised to be so, but I quickly saw that we still have these major issues and others.However, I know that I'd rather live in this country than perhaps over 99% of the other countries in the world. The problems I mentioned above are magnified times a billion in other countries. I just think... We should be better than this. We were supposed to be... But things were screwed up from the beginning... Screw patriotism. lol

Almost took the words right out of my mouth.

In the end, patriotism can be both good and bad. Personally, I don't see much of a point in it. I mean yeah, be proud of your country I suppose, but always keep in mind that things could be better.

As for me...not really, I guess. I still prefer to live here in the US as opposed to some other areas (though I wouldn't living in other areas), but I won't be lumped in as a 'patriot.'

Am i patriotic? To some degree. I don't see eye to eye with my current government (and some of it's predecessors), but i love my country. Sure, there's crime, poverty, unemployment, corruption, the list goes on and on. In the past, i was very angry with my government because i felt it abandoned the people. But it's not necessarily the case. You must keep in mind that this happens in most other countries too. Every country has limited resources devoted to dealing with each problem, so naturally some issues will persist. Running a nation isn't an easy feat, after all. 

There are many things which i can say about my country, but it's a country that supplied me with a home over my head, fair rights, acceptable lifestyle, education... it's easy to see all the problems stacked against your country when you don't think about all the problems it solved for you. Bear in mind, this doesn't apply to each country, but it's true enough in my case.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am to a certain degree patriotic; I love my country of England and wouldn’t wish to live anywhere else in the world.

I wouldn’t take my patriotism to the extreme though, like I don’t go round crying over God Save the Queen or pledge allegiance to the flag of the UKOGB&NI like American kids it seems are forced to do over the USA's flag,

Edited by Scootaloodle

The American government is pretty unreliable; always in disagreement, giving certain freedoms that do more harm(*ahem* Westboro), and a lot of unnecessary intervention into other countries.

But hey, at least we have the freedom to choose. Perhaps your definition of freedom is different from mine, but I love this country because we have the right to choose. It's not like a tyrannical government like North Korea where you could be jailed for having a relative commit "illegal" actions.

As for the wars America brought itself in, they are not necessary or of any benefit for us. However there are people in other countries that are being abused horribly by their governments. Call me foolish or brainwashed, but this is the reason why I believe America intervenes in other countries' affairs. Of course many people would disagree with this as war is the worst option, but it may also be the last or only possible option. Since the increase of democratic countries, there has a large decrease in war, by global statistics. This is due to the fact that democratic countries don't generally target eachother.

As for the term 'patriot' I would define it by the will to defend your loved ones from opression or fight for their freedoms. So yeah I guess I'm kinda patriotic.

(edited)

Nope.

I don't have a country anymore.

I consider myself a cosmopolitan And generally am interested about any kind of culture , but wouldn't say that I belong to any of those countries on the globe

Edited by Minsiuer Niel

(edited)

I'm not patriot in any way, and op summed it up my reasons perfectly. Who would support a country that went to war because of some terrorist group from Afghanistan blew up the World Trade Center? Or attack a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 in any way, and cover up the fact that the only reason we went there is because of the large oil reserves in that country with the excuse of " tey has WMD!!11" (which we haven't found)?

I apologize if my grammar is crap.

Edited by A goat

Patriotism is a concept i've never really got the grasp of, you see i'm English and with the government we have, it's hard to like this country. I could see where people come from with history, heritage and tradition and all that jazz but, I don't see myself as a patriot in any way at all.

Yes, I do consider myself to be patriotic. I love my country, however that doesn't mean I think it's the best. I don't believe that there is a "best country" as every country has done something shameful before. There are a lot of things I don't like about my country. There are also a lot of things that my country has done that I disapprove of. 

I wish the United States wouldn't be so involved in the world. We have a ton of problems of our own, and we can stop giving so much money to countries that want to blow us up. Anyways, you want to know my favorite thing about the United States? The diversity. I live in a small mostly-white farmer town now, but I was born in a city. I remember going to kindergarten, and having friends of all colors. 

Extreme patriotism, or even nationalism can be dangerous. I was going to write a paragraph or two of examples, but I don't really feel like it. Here's a brief example. 12 million Chinese died in the horrific Nanking Massacre. 70 million Chinese died under Mao's regime. Which one do we see patriotic Chinese complaining about more? (I'm not trying to defend the Nanking Massacre, It's just an example.) My point is that all countries screw up. You can love your country, but don't blindly overlook the bad things it's done. 

I'm very patriotic, in that I believe in the founding ideals of the U.S.

I'm not impressed with politicians, and I'm very much opposed to the crushing size, meddling power, and too-broad scope of today's federal government.

But I'm very patriotic.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I definitely like this country overall but it is a bit too hard to be full on patriotic and often its the rednecks and conservatives who dress so much in patriotism that they pollute the nature of it.  Also our leaders have led our government into being so much of a hollow sham. We're so divided along political, social, and state lines that there's little we share.  Definitely when the national anthem comes on or we play in the world cup its nice to forget all our differences and give some unity for a change.

Edited by Freewave

Technically, yes. In my opinion, part of being patriotic is not only embracing your country's strengths, but also acknowledging and addressing the country's problems as well, and believe me, for as many strengths and positives it has, the U.S. also has a lot of shortcomings that need to be addressed (i.e. the economy, immigration, infrastructure, healthcare, etc.).

That being said, the U.S. is a great country, and I'm proud to call it home.

No, not really. Country isn't very good anyway.

But if we are also talking about war, then I wish the best for soldiers. Not like it really makes much difference though. 

War is pointless, pretty much as one ends, another begins. Even if it doesn't start with the army, it starts with words and small actions by people who want war.

The most patriotic I get is when I try to defend the Irish language, pubs, or our opression by the English for about 800 years.

Beyond that, couldn't care less. I despise a large amount of the population and the government. Why put my neck out for people who have the same moral compass of a fucking snail?

I'm thankful to live in the United States. As problematic and corrupt as the government can be, living here is far better than many other places in the world. I'm thankful for my freedom, and I'm thankful for the people who fight to protect it. 

I would say that I'm patriotic in that sense, but that's the extent of it. I'm not a nationalist at all. I prefer a more universal worldview. I don't really identify people (including myself) based on their country to a major extent. I just view people as people. 

I don't have a problem with national pride when it's kept in check, but it can become very dangerous very quickly. I will never understand how people can have so much pride in the piece of land they happen to live on that they're willing to kill other people over it. It's fucking land. We all live on it. Unless you live in a boat or something.

Yeah, I am. :)

I love my country. It's not perfect, but I live here and it's from here that I take my sustenance, so I am ready to protect it. Instead of losing my love for it, I prefer to try to fix the things that needs to be fixed... even through it may seen impossible to do so.

I always get emotive when I hear our national anthem. Our history, our culture... It's something that I believe should be nurtured. I am not american by the way. :derp:

• 2 months later...

I think I am a nationalist. I don't agree with everything my government does, but I love my country...I'm not proud in a way that I look down on other countries, but simply because it's my identity, what I've grown up with since I was born. I love other countries too, I find culture fascinating. I think a little healthy nationalism is just dandy.

Edited by RaveLow

yes I'm very Patriotic towards America... I see and hear all the time those other Americans complaining about stuff  they should be grateful to be living here our ancestors have fought for our freedom for years against many countries... so that we can live our lives without hearing a air raid alarm or fearing that were going to get attacked.....

I would join the Military to help ensure that but for many reasons I have decided to do the next best thing join the Police force

• Brohoof 1