Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think using magic hurts?

Slice0Pie

I really random theory but listen

After watching The hobbit desolation of Smaug -spoilers-

Gandalf was using magic in one part, and, it looked like it hurt. Now I know there is a difference between him and unicorns, but it just looked like it hurt. One scene from MLP Cutiemark Chronicles, Twilight looked like she was having trouble using the new powerful magic since she was a filly, and it looked like it hurts.

I know it could just be frustration, but it's just a possible theory it hurts.

What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 2

I could see there being strain or even some pain with particularly difficult spells or in cases where the unicorns are not as experienced. Since magic is as much a science as it is an art in MLP it probably depends on the unicorns ability, the spell they are trying to use and age as well.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be somewhat like lifting a heavy weight. That's my theory.

But when Twilight was banishing all those Pinkie Pie clones, her horn got hot, so maybe lots of magic in succession or really powerful magic might burn - which would come under pain.

• Brohoof 4

I imagine that it's more like a full body gasm.

A fully body orgasm? If that is what magic does than I am signing up for magic lessons immediately. Oh you probably meant spasm right? That would have to one hell of spell to make somepony do that.

• Brohoof 4

A fully body orgasm? If that is what magic does than I am signing up for magic lessons immediately. Oh you probably meant spasm right? That would have to one hell of spell to make somepony do that.

I meant what I meant. xD I never use the wrong word... especially not gasm. (if it were a word)

Edited by Rainbow Dashey
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's more of a strain than anything else for a unicorn to use powerful magic or magic over a period of time. Like, I believe it takes physical exertion - or perhaps mental exertion, I don't know, but certainly exertion of some sort - to cast spells. And if you exert yourself too hard, well, it might hurt.

• Brohoof 1

I think you're kinda misplacing "exhausting" and "painful". Casting spells is supposed to be rather hard and take a lot of energy, but just because something is truly exhausting, doesn't mean it hurts. If you watch someone lift something really heavy, the face expression isn't much different from pain, sure, yet it does not hurt. Actually, I don't think I have to explain that part, I would guess you did something hard sometime in your life.  :lol:

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 3

I always thought it caused headache mainly, considering that the great concentration is needed to perform spells, but nothing more than that. Probably, stronger and longer-lasting headache if the spell is more complicated.

I think magic CAN hurt. In the case of unicorns, spell casting is an innate part of their physiology. Using too much magic or for too long might put a strain on the body the same way muscles can.

Just look at Cadence after a few days of magically keeping Sombra back. She looks like Hell from the start, and by the end of the special she can barely stand! And Cadence is an Alicorn!

So I think magic can drain a pony's energy reserve the same way physical activity could.

I would say that it's more strenuous than painful. The show portrays the use of magic as taking up a lot of the body's energy, and it appears that the more powerful the magic you're trying to attempt, the more strain it takes on your body. So, after prolonged use of a powerful spell like Cadence's city-wide love shield that she had to continuously cast or Shining Armor's city-wide shield charm can affect the user physically, though the latter is debatable because Shining Armor was also under Chrysalis' control at the time and the headaches may have been induced. 

• Brohoof 1

Using magic hurts? Unfortunately, the show doesn't say much about that, but pretty much every unicorn uses magic all the time. The most common use is levitating objects. I doubt that something painful would be used so banally.

It does look like it requires effort and concentration though, like exercise. I would undestand that you may feel tired after using magic over a prolonged time and after some extreme conditions it would hurt tough. Imagine carrying a weight with your hands, something around 10 Kg (around 22 lb). The first minute it would be ok, after 15 minutes, your muscles would feel sore. Imagine carrying that weight a whole day.

Shining Armor was projecting a city wide shield that was supposedly strong enough to drive away an army of changelings. I wonder how long he was projecting that shield. If I'm right on the "Effort and concentration" thing, then the headaches are mre than understandable.

• Brohoof 1

When you think about it, using magic is a state of mind.

The user must have unity with one's self and be able to concentrate hard enough, like a samurai meditating.

If one is at peace with themselves, then it should not hurt them in the slightest.

It must be that Twilight was familiar with reading magic books with spells, but when it was time to do magic for real she had a strain or a feeling of pain when trying to perform the spell. Magic is like an art, when you become more familiar and experienced with it you will start to get used to the spells and be able to do the spells at will.

Maybe. Probably not for simple things where they don't have to use as much energy or focus a lot, but for bigger things and more advanced magic that requires more energy, then probably a little bit, yes.

I think using magic makes you tired (not the smaller spells like picking stuff up though) because you have to use your energy. I don't see why or how it would hurt when its something that is apart of you, and you're just using your energy. You might get side effects from using your energy and getting tired, such as getting a headache though. Other than that though, I don't think using magic hurts.