NavelColt

S04:E05 - Flight to the Finish  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

For whatever reason it usually takes me a while to reach a solid opinion about an episode when it comes to FiM, but my first impressions here were not good. 

At the beginning of the episode when Ms. Harshwhinny came in and made those facial expressions I had to take a moment to remind myself that I was watching an actual episode and not some parody.

I get that this episode did some things right, and Digibrony and Tommy Oliver certainly made their case for it, but, despite liking it somewhat more on a second viewing, I found myself so detached and bored this whole episode. There was this constant undercurrent of inanity that killed it for me. The episode was dealing with an important plot point and a serious issue yet the tone stayed lighthearted and silly and when the important stuff came up there was this huge sense of dissonance. The fact that it took nearly to the eleven minute mark for the main conflict of the episode to be presented didn't help.

Another problem with the episode was the musical number, which would have been much better if the weak and nonsensical chorus hadn't been repeated so much. (Seriously, I spent the whole musical number thinking about what "hearts as strong as horses" could even mean in the context of the show.) I'm not even sure I liked this musical number more than Raise this Barn.    

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know about everypony else but I loved this episode.... Plus we got our first musical number in this episode for season 4....

Not the best musical number but still it was good. :)

Can't wait for " THE POWER PONIES" :lol:

We all have our opinions I guess.

post-6224-0-16714200-1343440719.png

Edited by Hero 194
  • Brohoof 2

Seriously, did anyone else spend the whole musical number thinking about what "hearts as strong as horses" could even mean in the context of the show?

No, because it's completely obvious. Horses have strong hearts. The song is using "heart" in the context of courage, determination, all that. Put it together.

As for the episode...It was alright. Not the best musical number and the conflict took too long to show up. But Dash ruffled Scoots' hair and it was adorable so I'm satisfied. Maybe we can get an outright Scootaloo/Dash-centric episode later on to follow up on the flying thing...

So that is basically saying horses and ponies are the same, it is just size is the only difference. So my complaint still stands.

Except even the biggest ponies are still called ponies so there's apparently some actual difference between the two. One of which is apparently the heart.

I strongly disliked this episode, not as much as the season premiere, but quite a lot. Their faces were ugly, yes, but that wasn't what bugged me the most. The pacing was just totally off, with that opening scene taking far too long. Also, the characterization for RD and the CMC seemed really out of place and they were all acting like they were being introduced for the first time, clearly showing it's a new writer writing the episode. I didn't understand why Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were acting so distant and so off-putting towards Scootaloo, who was also uncharacteristically dismissive of the other two. The song was also really incomprehensible and very uninspired in my opinion. Strong as horses? Excuse me? They ARE horses. The characters all seemed like they were acting like males with their mannerisms and such, where is the female charm and warmth the show had before this season?

Now, all of this I was willing to disregard if she either A) Learned to fly or B ) Got her cutie mark, but neither happened. So, not only were all of these aspects of this episode very dull and lame, but this episode itself was a completely pointless waste of time. Nothing happened. Maybe it's leading up into something bigger, but that still doesn't excuse a completelty meaningless episode.

Edited by DerpyTacos99

I'm glad that the writers decided to give rainbow dash a sisterly relationship with Scootaloo even though Faust may have mentioned she  think Rainbow Dash  would be too reckless to be a surrogate sister, without that relationship we wouldn't get that meaningful ending to the episode.

• Brohoof 2

I usually don't like CMC episodes because they keep forgetting that they shouldn't be doing every wacky activity that they think of to get a cutie mark.

Here, they were having a real problem, doing something for the sake of creating a memory, and barely any thought to going after their cutie marks.

I find the in-universe acknowledgement of CMC as their collective name a bit disturbing.

Now I'm really curious about horses in equestria, and a size comparison between AppleJack and the Budweiser Clydesdales. 

This was never going to be an easy episode to pull off: it deals with a disability and other people (pony)'s response to it, including the disabled individual's response to their own predicament.

The gulp moment that needed to happen ("But...what if I never fly?") was there, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's "no big deal" attitude to Scootaloo's not being able to fly was written well, and Dash was rock-solid. They could of fit in an "and as for you two..." bit with Diamond and Silver getting the business from an adult, but that's life: bullies don't always get punished or chastised.

I thought they did a great job. Great episode. And a great message for the target audience without being heavy-handed about it.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not really sure what I thought about this episode.  Unlike what seems to be a lot of you, I rather enjoy comedic expressive faces on the characters.  It certainly made Ms. Harshwhinny's character more like-able for me.  

I've been really sad about Rainbow Dash since season 4, heck even since before that, but the more screentime they're giving Dash, the less I'm liking her.  It's almost as if someone else is trying to write her parts now? Or something that really made her who she was is gone now.  Regardless, she's certainly dropped down my list of most liked ponies lately.   

As for Scootaloo and the CMC, I've never exactly paid attention to them because I didn't exactly care for their characters.  However, to have a specific CMC-centric episode was very refreshing and I enjoyed that.  I was really ready there at the end for Scoots to actually get her cutie mark right then and there.  The set up for it was perfect, and honestly the let down that it didn't happen made it that much better for me.  I'm hoping that they do similar episodes for the rest of the CMC this season.

The song, I enjoyed the song.  I usually enjoy most things anyway since I tend to set aside the bad and enjoy it for what it is.  Honestly the song was pretty great.  The overall melody was a little dull, but I think that the dynamic of the harmonies made up for it.  It was a very constant song with not much change.  It just kept going forward.  Although that was also what the song was trying to communicate, although it kinda lost my interest towards the end.

Overall, the episode was quite nice, and I liked it much better than the last one.

A day later and another watch through and I'm not having quite as much of a problem with the tone. I still don't feel completely satisfied with how this episode turned out but I suppose I'm left with little room for complaint. 

Also, is anyone else starting to wonder if Granny Smith and Scootaloo have at some point developed a friendship that we're being left out on?

Edited by ByTheTides

I truly enjoyed this episode for 2 reasons:

1. The fact that Scoot's in ability to fly is made canon officially.

2. Hearts as strng as Horses was an awesome song accompanied with an awesome MV portion.

It was alright. not a fan of the CMCs as a whole, but I do like the bond Dash and Scootaloo have. I liked how they brought in Dash as their coach to further strengthen said relationship of sisterly love.. We now know Scootaloo isn't homeless, who's house is it? We still have no idea.

Over all it was decent, I liked the songs.

Also, I'm noticing a trend...that there's been a "thing" from every episode so far....the newest being Ms Harshwhinny.

Edited by ~Daring Dash~

I had to re-watch this episode before stating my opinion. The reason being that I sort of didn't really have an opinion after watching it the first time. It felt a bit... empty perhaps.

I think everyone had pretty high expectations for this episode. How would Scoot's non-flying be handled? Would she be able to fly by the end of the episode? Would she get her cutie mark perhaps?

In the end, nothing really changed. Scoots didn't magically learn to fly somehow, it wasn't established if her condition is permanent, she didn't gain her cutie mark (as some form of emotional compensation).

Her "disability" was just sort of brushed off as being of no importance. Which is why the episode felt slightly empty to me on my first viewing. None of the things that was expected came to pass.

But I now realize that, of course, was sort of THE ENTIRE MORAL POINT of this episode. Her non-flying is not of any importance, as she will be special and awesome in her own way, flying or no flying. And while she looks up to RD, she shouldn't feel like she has to emulate her. (and so on, we all saw the episode)

In the end, I am really happy that the writers went this route. It is a very nice and important moral lesson, and was reflected well by the lack of change in status quo. Scoots lack of flight is not a central part of her personality and character, and she should not feel defined by it. Thus, nothing that transpired in this episode regarding her flying changed anything about anything. Really well handled, and well-written.

Buuut, entertainment-wise, still not one of my favorites. Ms. Harshwhinny was great in an over-the-top way and the song was pretty good. Nice to see some general RD/Scoots interaction as well. And the cutie mark troll-zoom at the end was pretty awesome :) MLP is subversive to the format as always.

• Brohoof 2

I really like her- I mean this episode... if there is one thing that I love that is not a Fluttershy episode is a Scootaloo episode... one thing that I like in this one was when Appleboom got angry near the end there....

Also since Rainbow's name just got longer... Rainbow Danger Professorial Dash....  

Edited by zombie king24

Finally got around to posting my usual episode review. I'm starting to find that it is getting more and more difficult to form an opinion of these episodes quickly. I suppose you could say that's a good thing, more factors to take into consideration and what not. Anyway, my full review can be found on my tumblr, my primary defense for the episode being its moral. 

http://sectussection.tumblr.com/post/70408223825/mlp-fim-episode-review-flight-to-the-finish

finally got the chance to watch it, and I have to say I was underwhelmed. this is the first episode that I honestly haven't liked that much this season. it was good and taught a good message, but the pacing was slow, and I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen before it did.

while this isn't nessesarily a bad thing, I also noted that this is the first episode this season that was fully targeted at the shows original intended audience. I felt a little like I was watching barney or sesame street. again, that's the way the show is supposed to be and I realize that. that's what I originally got hooked on with this show. I guess that it was just such a change of pace from the last 4 episodes that it threw me off.

2 pplus sides though...the 2 main characters were both the best ponies, and the obvious...

that

song.

oh........my......word. that....song.....FREAKING AMAZING!!!! in a professional way, of course.

that is all.

Just watched it yesterday (four days after it aired...just didn't find the time.) I loved the episode. It seemed a bit lighthearted for the kind of serious problem Scootaloo was going through, but I loved the song, and 'twas funny when Ms. Harshwhinny was so excited after the CMC's performance. AND NOW WE KNOW WHAT SCOOTALOO'S HOUSE LOOKS LIKE! Fanfic imminent about Scootaloo remembering her big sister.

Aha, I'm off to wach it right now. 

Aww! I cant find a youtube video with it?

I actually REALLY Liked it! No - NOT JUST BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC! Because scoot learnt that friendship really does matter and that Diamond tiara and Silver spoon are - Well, lets just say they have "unacceptable behavior issues..."

This really was a good episode... 

It was abit upsetting that scoot cant fly, but, she's still awesome anyway - As RD says!  :wub:

Anyone else think Diamond Tiara isn't really effective as the antagonist character?

I mean I know you're not really supposed to like her but compared to other bully like characters like Angelica from Rugrats or Helga from Hey Arnold. They were good examples of the character Diamond Tiara should be.

Can I just say that I really really love Hearts Strong as Horses? I mean it's almost been a week, and I can't get that out of my head! In a good way though =P.

As for the episode itself, yeah I really liked it, but it wasn't amazing. The moral was awesome, and I really like the CMC, but, and I can't really put it into words, something was off-putting about it. Not like a mechanical thing, like pacing, or anything like that, but overall I felt like it lacked the same zeal that got me super excited like watching Season 3 for the first time did. Though, this may just be because I've gotten more used to the show, that it isn't really as exciting for me anymore? I hope that's not the case.

But adressing the elephant in the room with Scootaloo not being able to fly was a great move for the writers I think. I like how up to this point it wasn't even brought up (and I'm not being sarcastic!) because it means that her physical handicap is not viewed as anything that distinguishes her from other ponies. She is an equal, not any better, nor lesser than other ponies.

I'd probably give this episode a 4 out of 5 though.