NavelColt

S04:E05 - Flight to the Finish  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I found it particularly odd Rainbow Dash telling Scootaloo the moral about flying AS she's flying.

Mistake by the animators maybe.

I'd say that's the writer's problem, not the animators'.  And yeah, that rubbed us the wrong way too.  It's like telling a kid in a wheelchair, "Hey, you're still special even if your legs don't work" while running in place in front of him.  A bit lacking in sympathy and tact, methinks.

Anyone else think Diamond Tiara isn't really effective as the antagonist character?

I mean I know you're not really supposed to like her but compared to other bully like characters like Angelica from Rugrats or Helga from Hey Arnold. They were good examples of the character Diamond Tiara should be.

I don't know those characters, but I thought Diamond Tiara showed a streak of being downright evil in this episode - it's one thing if she just wants to make fun of someone else for her own amusement, but she really crossed a big line this episode and she made it clear she was deliberately doing so.  She knew full well how she was going to be hurting Scootaloo with what she said, and that made ME feel just as bullied as Scootaloo.  As I said earlier, I really wanted to reach into the TV and smack her a good one - I honestly hope that DT and Silver Spoon get their comeuppance (more than just an embarrassing fall into some mud or a printing press) and really learn a lesson.

But I suspect that if that were to happen, it would be equivalent to the CMC getting their cutie marks, and thus should probably be reserved for when they're officially wrapping up the series.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know those characters, but I thought Diamond Tiara showed a streak of being downright evil in this episode - it's one thing if she just wants to make fun of someone else for her own amusement, but she really crossed a big line this episode and she made it clear she was deliberately doing so.  She knew full well how she was going to be hurting Scootaloo with what she said, and that made ME feel just as bullied as Scootaloo.

This prove my point that Diamond Tiara is a Complete monster.

Edited by Hakureimiko

I don't know those characters, but I thought Diamond Tiara showed a streak of being downright evil in this episode - it's one thing if she just wants to make fun of someone else for her own amusement, but she really crossed a big line this episode and she made it clear she was deliberately doing so.  She knew full well how she was going to be hurting Scootaloo with what she said, and that made ME feel just as bullied as Scootaloo.  As I said earlier, I really wanted to reach into the TV and smack her a good one - I honestly hope that DT and Silver Spoon get their comeuppance (more than just an embarrassing fall into some mud or a printing press) and really learn a lesson.   But I suspect that if that were to happen, it would be equivalent to the CMC getting their cutie marks, and thus should probably be reserved for when they're officially wrapping up the series.

They were basically characters that WHILE there were kind of a jerk to the main character in their respective shows; they had moments where they were somewhat kind to said main character.Even when they were jerks they got thier punishments one way or the other and that would be satisfying.

For Diamond Tiara; it fails both ways. He punishments aren't exactly justified.......and she's never good.

I beg for a moment like that to happen here in mlp where Diamond Tiara shows a small act of kindness (or at the small least neutrality) to the CMC. She doesn't have to be GOOD all the time. She could just be herself but also good at some points too. 

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson

I beg for a moment like that to happen here in mlp where Diamond Tiara shows a small act of kindness (or at the small least neutrality) to the CMC. She doesn't have to be GOOD all the time. She could just be herself but also good at some points too.

In a way, she showed a little bit of that in Ponyville Confidential. While it's obvious she was still in it for her own interests and nobody else's, DT was at least reasonably nice to the CMC when they started doing the Gabby Gums columns. She showed a bit of a propensity for "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours", though that faded immediately when the columns weren't edgy enough and then the CMC wanted to quit.

It's hard to say if her supposed kindness to the CMC there was in any way because she had a shred of good nature in her. It's more likely that she simply did that so she could use them for her own power trip. But either way, it's about the closest she's come to actually being nice to the CMC.

On the other hoof, Silver Spoon was seen genuinely applauding after Granny Smith's speech about Ponyville's founding and the zap apples. That sets her apart from Diamond Tiara just a little and might provide just a tiny bit of hope that she can knock some sense into her fellow bully.

I think the CMC's episodes are pretty neat, but this one was one of my least favorites. I've gotten used to Diamond Tiara's and Silver spoon's ridicule of The blank flank trio and I'm pretty sure that eventually they will be put in their place. But Rainbow Dash's new obsession with being professional is what I think really broke Scootaloo. She had a chance to tell The crusaders they did a good job and they probably would have left it at that. The lack of enthusiasm in Rainbow's review and Scootaloo's ultimate desire to impress, I think is what really made her want to fly, the bullies just made her think about it. Honestly, when has rainbow ever been worried about being professional up until now?

I think the CMC's episodes are pretty neat, but this one was one of my least favorites. I've gotten used to Diamond Tiara's and Silver spoon's ridicule of The blank flank trio and I'm pretty sure that eventually they will be put in their place. But Rainbow Dash's new obsession with being professional is what I think really broke Scootaloo. She had a chance to tell The crusaders they did a good job and they probably would have left it at that. The lack of enthusiasm in Rainbow's review and Scootaloo's ultimate desire to impress, I think is what really made her want to fly, the bullies just made her think about it. Honestly, when has rainbow ever been worried about being professional up until now?

I agree that Rainbow was a bit out-of-character here - she's been halting herself a little too much for the sake of either tact or professionalism (and honestly failing miserably at both) over the last two episodes.  And the bit about her forcing herself to not be TOO enthusiastic about the CMC's first draft was awfully forced - it was obvious that they needed a way to extend the plot and give an opening for Scootaloo's flying issues, but they could have done it more elegantly.

Rainbow Dash HAS been concerned about her outward image before - in Sonic Rainboom, she was worried that she'd blow it in front of everyone and lose her chance to hang out with the Wonderbolts.  And she had concerns about her appearance in Ponyville Confidential as well, and mentioned she had "a reputation to keep" in Crystal Empire Part 2.  None of these are necessarily about being professional, per se, but I think her latest "image crisis" in this episode is kinda along the same lines - Ms. Harshwhinny put it in her head and she took it a bit too seriously, apparently in an attempt to impress her.

(EDIT: "Mr. Harshwhinny"?  I must be tired.)

Edited by Pixel Stick

Anyone else think Diamond Tiara isn't really effective as the antagonist character?

I mean I know you're not really supposed to like her but compared to other bully like characters like Angelica from Rugrats or Helga from Hey Arnold. They were good examples of the character Diamond Tiara should be.

It's been a long time since I've seem Hey Arnold and Rugrats, but all I can see that would make those characters better antagonists is that they are more vicious. Also, Helga, as I remember, was a lot more complex as a character.

What am I missing?

are you open to the idea if the writers intended her to fly eventaully?

I am. I never really agreed to the idea that she would be a stronger character if she can't fly. Though I'm also okay with it if she can't fly. I know that the writers are likely to do a great job with both possibilities.

By the way...RIP All Homeless Scootaloo Headcanons! XD

Good riddance to bad rubbish.  That idea made no sense whatsoever.  Theorizing that she's an orphan, I can understand.  But homeless?  Seriously?  Who's paying her tuition then?

I was looking forward to Flight to the Finish quite a lot. After all, who wouldn’t be excited for some potential sisterly feels between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo? Especially given that this episode was finally to address Scootaloo’s flying problem. After watching this episode I have grown even more appreciation for Scootaloo. While her flying problem was never confirmed as a permanent disability like I thought, and admittedly, hoped it would be, I have a feeling we won’t be seeing Scootaloo fly anytime soon, and I feel this gives her a whole new dimension and makes her a much more interesting character. After all, she’s very much like Rainbow Dash in personality already, but her inability to fly presents a stark contrast to Dash’s unmatched flight skills. But who needs wings when you can ride a mean scooter anyway? ;)

As an avid fan of MLP’s music, I was delighted to learn that this episode would have a song, and Hearts Strong as Horses did not disappoint. It has been in my head ever since it aired, and in fact it’s stuck in my head even now. :o It’s definitely up there with my other favorite MLP songs, and definitely gives Bad Seed a run for its money.

I liked seeing Rainbow “Professionalism” Dash do her best to contain her excitement throughout the episode, and although Ms. Harshwhinny was initially a bit of a stick in the mud, she proved at the end of the episode that she knows a great performance when she sees it, even if she‘s still a bit shy to show it. :) Scootaloo’s bad singing skills were referenced for the first time since The Show Stoppers which was was a minor but still very appreciated detail, as was Sweetie Belle‘s “slow moment” when she paused before saying “Me three!”. Finally, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were as one-dimensional as ever, if not perhaps more so (as they seem to get more nonsensically cruel and heartless every episode) but they did their job of providing some good comedy to an episode that was otherwise light on humor.

All in all, I enjoyed the CMC’s first adventure In season 4. They proved once again that they can be very entertaining whether they are directly pursuing their cutie marks or not. Not to mention, they’ve got the moves, got the mojo, no harder working ponies around, they are a trio that works as a team! :D

640px-CMC_singing_with_heart_in_the_back

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah we're 8 episodes into the season and so far I must say that this one is my favorite. The reason is because this episode is much more simple than the other ones, it doesn't have monsters and all that to make it interesting. Now I'm not saying monsters are bad, but I just enjoy watching episodes that's about normal stuff that happens in ponyville :) So yeah I like this ep alot, even though I am not a fan of the song... it was just a bit weird and uncatchy for me

This is probably my favorite episode of season 4. I love the song and the writing was great. The only ting i did not like is that rainbow and scoots are supposed to have like a bond now and I did not feel that at all.

This simply was not one of the better episodes of the show. And yet, because Friendship Is Magic is so awesome (*dashface*), it was still okay. So I voted "Meh, it's okay". Scootaloo's inability to fly makes me sympathetic to her, definitely. And I didn't care much for her as a character before that. But I wasn't impressed by the song and Rainbow Dash's "gushiness" got old fast.

Rainbow Dash's "gushiness" got old fast.

I think Rainbow's whole "stay calm" thing is getting old now that it's happened three episodes in a row. I hope she loosens up soon and goes back to being her usual high-spirited self. I miss that Rainbow Dash.