Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Reason Why Bronies are considered as Gay

Solid

I know a lot of you, like me, had been fretting over this random stupid made up idea that bronies are "gay". Of course, you obviously can't tell a person's sexuality based on their favorite cartoon show, or their hobbies in general.

I've been fretting over this, and after several glasses of water and some logic mumbo jumbo, I came up with the possible origin of this assumption.

You see, MLP is a feminine cartoon show (does NOT mean girlish), it's not like you can stare at a population of ponies which consisted 95% of females with all 6 main characters being female and say, "this show is totally masculine." There's nothing wrong with a guy being feminine, but some mediocre minded people got brainwashed by the stereotypes, and they think it's wrong for a guy to do so. That's the first step.

Gay hasn't really been accepted by most people, we can see that by their uneasiness about the topic and their claims that gay people are weird. But the biggest flaw is when they try to associate the stereotypes of a typical couple with the gay couples. In a typical couple, the man is portrayed as masculine, the female, feminine. When we see two gay couples, things gets weird. Though in reality sexuality has nothing to do with masculine/feminine, people assume gay people as different, with their logic messed up, the only thing that could make sense to them beside masculine male is, feminine. Which is why people assume gays are nagging and whiny, and why some media (specifically "family guy") portrayed gay with those female stereotypes. That's the second step.

The final step, which requires the most mediocre minds, over generalization. According to step 2 gay people are feminine. According to step 1 MLP is a feminine cartoon. a=b, b=c, hence, a=c, bronies are gay.

This is obvious loads of bs, but here it is, an explanation to the infamous phenomenon that bronies are gay.

• Brohoof 3

It's just one of those insults people use when they can't come up with anything better to insult you with. It doesn't matter if My Little Pony is girly, you could even watch the Dawn of the Dead and still be called gay. Besides, I think most Bronies are in fact heterosexual.

Like for example for being a fan of something, I was called gay for liking Futurama.

Besides, some people are just mean Internet Trolls and bullies in general. And some are just plain old gay hating jerks.  

Edited by Rush

Yup, you've got the point just right. That's why we awe so important for the society. We are redefining the gender expectations and prejudices or just eliminating them, proving them wrong and too antiquate to exist in a world with people able to think for two seconds. This video explains it pretty well

• Brohoof 2

Society is retarded, runs on stereotypes and preconceptions for what which gender should be doing that's considered 'appropriate', and anything that goes against that can and will be subject to immediate claims of being 'gay', or even 'pedophilic'. Both of which are terms society's most intelligent people love to throw around at anything that they don't agree with.

That's what it all boils down to, time and time again.

• Brohoof 2

I feel a little bit bad to say this after you wrote such a long theory on this, but... Nope.

The reason Bronies are called gay is because the people who actually harbor hatred for bronies are the kind of people who call everything "gay", as they often see it as funny or a cool offensive word, even more so when the thing in question is rather cute.

• Brohoof 1

Trolls will be trolls and haters are going to hate, the fact that MLP is a "girls show" just gives them in their minds a valid excuse to (like they need one) to go ahead and do their thing. It is true that there are a lot of gays who are a bit more feminine or masculine than society dictates their gender should be but it is not the case with all gays and their are plenty of straight people where this is the case. I know this one straight man who is a cross dresser. Of course haters and trolls don't care because well like I said before trolls be trolls and haters are going to hate, it is their own insecurities about their sexuality and masculinity that bring this on so it is their problem.

Ah yes... the assorted chocolate tray of homosexual insults. Personally, I love these ridiculous arguments because you get the pleasure of countering them twice .

First at a logical level, since liking MLP does not make you gay , and secondly at an idea level, because being gay should not be considered bad in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

Most don't hate the fact that you watch the show, they hate the fact that people call themselves/each other "bronies" and say stuff like "love and tolerate, brohoof, and anypony." I can EASILY see why someone would call it gay. 

I feel a little bit bad to say this after you wrote such a long theory on this, but... Nope.

The reason Bronies are called gay is because the people who actually harbor hatred for bronies are the kind of people who call everything "gay", as they often see it as funny or a cool offensive word, even more so when the thing in question is rather cute.

Eh, I think it's split between homophobes who actually consider us gay, those who consider us not "gay" exactly, but somehow deviant (usually of the perverted man-children sort), and those who just consider us annoying for "throwing our fandom in their face".

Yeah, some do just throw "gay" at us as a general insult, but some also are actual homophobes.

Yup, you've got the point just right. That's why we awe so important for the society. We are redefining the gender expectations and prejudices or just eliminating them, proving them wrong and too antiquate to exist in a world with people able to think for two seconds. This video explains it pretty well

By the way, no, bronies do NOT change masculinity in any way. MLP is still a show focused on the female demographic, and masculinity is supposed what males are generally supposed to be. It's not gender stereotyping in any way. 

And it's not masculine to watch a girls show as well, but again, there's nothing wrong with that.

The problem these days is that people are just too homophobic these days.

They just assume the things they see without thinking, and that can instantly bring out sexual slurs.

But luckily, that never bothers me, I've never been called one, and if they do, I have some counter tricks up my sleeves.... X)

Stereotypes and how people label things these days, is what it turns out to be. I think of it as assumptions where people use their Freedom of Speech, to just make fun of something that isn't worth making fun of.

By the way, no, bronies do NOT change masculinity in any way. MLP is still a show focused on the female demographic, and masculinity is supposed what males are generally supposed to be. It's not gender stereotyping in any way. 

And it's not masculine to watch a girls show as well, but again, there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know, I've posed the argument that the balls it takes to publicly do things that most people would consider unmanly makes you more of a real man that the stereotypical macho meat-head. Which is actually logic that used to be common, there were some old cultures that considered having a soft and emotional side and having the balls to show it was the mark of a true warrior.

On topic, I think the logic behind the theory is sound. A great many people(even those aren't homophobic and have just fallen prey to believing stereotypes) believe that a man being feminine, or being into things that would normally be considered as appealing to woman and girls is a sign of being gay. This is odd because in some countries(like Japan) femininity is considered a attractive male trait to some extent.   

I take it as a compliment when someone calls me gay because I don't use it in the term homosexual, i use it in the old term for happy. But yeah when they try to use it as an insult against you just rise above it, if they cant think of anything better to say than " you watch a show for girls, your gay." Then it's not worth your time saying something back.

If i may just bring my two cents here:

We live on a world dominated by a patriarchy, and with a very belic history. Lots of cities are named after emperors or conquerors, due to the fact that humanity is a very martial race. We are slowly trying to overcome that. Fear and ignorance is one of our worst enemies, as our primal instinct to something we fear is to attack it. It also doesn't help the fact that we still carry traces of herd behavior in our instincs, as we tend to fear anything that is different to us.

Having said all that information that may seem to be disconnected, I will relate to the girlish behaviours. The kids with less education on how to behave in society are the ones who tend to bully the most. I know this is a generalization, and doesnt apply to everyone, but it is kinda a pattern. Being weak is awful when you are a kid, as you are subject to any other kid who doesnt know to behave better. It's easy to grow up undestanding that you have to be strong or at least appear to be strong.

Watching cartoons is not precisely the picture of being "Big, grown and strong", and more so when we are talking about a cartoon orientated to little girls. Less educated people tend to shun that, on fear of appearing weak, or being bullied. Other people have interest in more femenine activities, like ballet or sewing, and try to justify their interests. It's not rare to hear someone defending their work saying that  it gives them a good income, or saying that "It's ok, everyone does it". It requires a lot of self awareness to be able to say you like something childish and/or femenine just because you like it, otherwise, instincts and herd behaviour kicks in and gives you the idea that it's weird, rare and weak, all together.

Eh, I think it's split between homophobes who actually consider us gay, those who consider us not "gay" exactly, but somehow deviant (usually of the perverted man-children sort), and those who just consider us annoying for "throwing our fandom in their face".

Yeah, some do just throw "gay" at us as a general insult, but some also are actual homophobes.

Well I don't know, maybe I just have more "faith in humanity" left than I actually thought, I didn't really consider there are people who do honestly, truly (so, not as a joke or a namecalling of sorts) believe they can (1) know sexuality of any person by knowing one show they watch and (2) they could then turn that into offense, because either one of those points would call their intellect to question, let alone executing both of those at once, that would just make one... I don't know, too weakminded to really be considered self-conscious...?  :lol:

Either way, I didn't really see many people who seemed like they thought about it, just went in, said "ur gay lolz rolflomao lol!!!!!1!OMG" so I'd still say it's almost exclusively those trollish people who keep calling everything gay, for a reason nooone will ever find. I do overthink pretty much everything, but looking at this topic, we may get to Zionists and Illuminati yet.... but I think we are really just talking about encountering "a stupid".

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 1

i don't really have to care about anything to do with being homosexual because I'm in fact bisexual and i get people at my school asking what's the difference between being homo or bisexual and i say to them well being gay means that you like guys/girls in the sexual way and not the friendly sort of way when your that gender yourself and being bisexual you go for guys/girls and that you don't really care what their gender are. It's just hard to go into society with your girlfriend/boyfriend and not get labeled gay or straight just on appearance and i usually get the occasional ass wipe who's gay for his friend asking then as soon as they find out that your bi they start to try to tease you about it that sort of thing I'm just glad no-one in my class knows I'm a Brony that would be a lot more questions that i would get asked daily so don't be ashamed of being a Brony because most sensible people are only curios about if your gay because it's a "Girl's show"

Well, I kinda thought about it myself and came to the same conclusion as you. I totally agree, I still think calling people gay because of a cartoon they watch is complete rubbish

Everything you mentioned is the main reason, but there are also just a lot of people that call everything and everyone gay. So there is no wonder why it's used a lot against bronies.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

I know a lot of you, like me, had been fretting over this random stupid made up idea that bronies are "gay". Of course, you obviously can't tell a person's sexuality based on their favorite cartoon show, or their hobbies in general.

I've been fretting over this, and after several glasses of water and some logic mumbo jumbo, I came up with the possible origin of this assumption.

You see, MLP is a feminine cartoon show (does NOT mean girlish), it's not like you can stare at a population of ponies which consisted 95% of females with all 6 main characters being female and say, "this show is totally masculine." There's nothing wrong with a guy being feminine, but some mediocre minded people got brainwashed by the stereotypes, and they think it's wrong for a guy to do so. That's the first step.

Gay hasn't really been accepted by most people, we can see that by their uneasiness about the topic and their claims that gay people are weird. But the biggest flaw is when they try to associate the stereotypes of a typical couple with the gay couples. In a typical couple, the man is portrayed as masculine, the female, feminine. When we see two gay couples, things gets weird. Though in reality sexuality has nothing to do with masculine/feminine, people assume gay people as different, with their logic messed up, the only thing that could make sense to them beside masculine male is, feminine. Which is why people assume gays are nagging and whiny, and why some media (specifically "family guy") portrayed gay with those female stereotypes. That's the second step.

The final step, which requires the most mediocre minds, over generalization. According to step 2 gay people are feminine. According to step 1 MLP is a feminine cartoon. a=b, b=c, hence, a=c, bronies are gay.

This is obvious loads of bs, but here it is, an explanation to the infamous phenomenon that bronies are gay.

yeah, i noticed that in family guy, but like everything else, its done as a parody. American dad seems to portray gays a little more realistically (mostly) , at least in that the gay neighbors aren't complete stereotypes. (although terry is borderline)