Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's it like at a con?

Stick Shift

(edited)

I have been to BronyCon once and the Detroit anime convention, Youmacon, 5 times.

Travelling specifically for a con is extremely expensive. As much as I would like to go to BronyCon again, taking a plane and staying at a hotel is a lot. Although you said that the main hotel is already booked? There are lots of hotels to stay at and it is entirely possible that they can add to the room block.

Which con do you live closer to? I recommend going to that one. Going to a con for the first time is easier when you live closer. My first Youmacon was a 20-30 minute drive from my house and I was only able to stay for a short while. I was only able to go to BronyCon in 2012 because I was going to be on the east coast around that time anyways.

Basic con tips:

Eat decently healthy, drink water, sleep, SHOWER

Don't be shy, talk to people and be friendly. Don't be awkward.

Bring lots of cash

Split a room with people. You can find people online to room with. I have done this and it has turned out well.

When the schedule comes out, plan ahead.

The longer you are at the con, the better.

Don't be too mad if you have to miss an event for whatever reason. The schedule that you set is adaptable.

I have a lot more where that came from but that should get you started.

I live in Wisconsin so kind of in between EFNW and Bronycon. I haven't looked for smaller venues yet, will have to see if there is anything in the central part of the US.

As for all of the other response's, thanks for all the great info and personal experiences!

Edited by Commander_Shepony

I live in Wisconsin so kind of in between EFNW and Bronycon. I haven't looked for smaller venues yet, will have to see if there is anything in the central part of the US.

As for all of the other response's, thanks for all the great info and personal experiences!

I'm surprised that a con in Chicago hasn't popped up yet.

Because from where I live train tickets to Chicago are decently inexpensive (far less expensive than flying anywhere and when it comes to Chicago it is cheaper to take a train than it is to drive and pay the boatload for parking). And Chicago is a pretty big city and I'm sure that bronies would flock to a con in that area.

I mean I would be happier with Detroit since it's much closer to my home but I can't be too picky. Bronies around here don't seem to be too interested in meetups. :( Although maybe the card game will change that...

I've actually wondered the exact same thing. I've never really been interested in attending any cons (except shotshow, which I consider the comic con for gun enthusiasts :P) until I became a brony, but I'm naturally extremely shy so I don't think I'll ever go to a convention, much less a brony one (Ugh, the thought of it makes me want to die). I've only been to one con before and that one was not even an official convention. It was something our university put together that was everything like comic con (the big guest was Jannet Varney, VA for Korra. I walked right by her not knowing who she was D:) except significantly smaller. I was there because in the same building was a seminar on the chemistry of cosmetics put together by Mary Kay, completely unrelated to the convention taking place there. Needless to say I almost ran away because of the sheer amount of people (most in cosplay) but eventually timidly made my way into the correct auditorium.

My brother who is even more shy than I am (he struggles with social anxiety) went to nightmare nights in Dallas but had to leave early because of time constraints. I'm proud of him for overcoming his social fears and going to a place he'd want to be.

I think the reason a lot of bronies don't want to meet up is because a lot of bronies out there are like me: they're super scared of being open about being a brony. 

Edited by Sn0wblind

Even though I hear lots of horror stories about going to cons, especially anime cons (where you're liable to run into the archetypal psycho fangirl who'll "glomp" any guy who looks even remotely like her favorite character),my experience at Sac Brony Expo was very pleasant. It was definitely a smaller con when compared to something like BronyCon, but there were at least a couple hundred folks in attendance. I will admit, though, there were quite a few geek stereotypes walking around...the image of that large, hairy man in a pink wig and tutu is still very much burnt onto my retinas.

The vendor stalls were where I spent most of my time, though. If you can bring a good chunk of change with you (no less than $200), I'd definitely say to go nuts with the merch hunting. At first I didn't expect there'd be anything that would interest me, but the more I looked around, the more money I ultimately parted with. You'll find that many of the vendors sell hand-crafted items, so in addition to getting things you won't find in any store, you'll also be supporting independent artists, and who doesn't want that? ;)

• Brohoof 1

I saw that the "Bronies" documentary was on Netflix and sat down and watched that, although the cons were not their main focus they did show a lot of con footage. Being fairly new to the fandom (Around 8 months) the only fan stuff I knew about was the art, and more recently I discovered fimfiction, but I didn't know how big the music scene was. After doing some research with the info everyone has provided I feel I have a better concept of what goes on at a con and what to expect at one.

Back on topic - For those that have gone to a con, did you go alone or with friends? If you rented a hotel room, did you split it with others (Friends you went with or people from forums)? For those of us that have never done this before, how did you handle sharing the room (Especially if you never met the person face to face)? How the process go for getting your badges?

Sorry for all the questions, I guess I really want to go but want to make sure I know what I'm doing and who better to ask then people who have gone through these situations before. Thanks! 

I was actually asking the same questions to myself because I'm going to PonyConAU next month, which is my first ever convention, and I was curious on what to expect because I was getting nervous. Reading this topic made me feel better though. :)

Edited by Kazaibatsu
  • Brohoof 1

I have been to several conventions from Comic Con (the biggest I've attended) and WTF Con (Smallest I've been too). KomicKazi, Anime Con, and Wondercon as well.

Conventions may see seriously overwhelming at first because of the crowds but they are a lot of fun. The first thing you will want to do is go to the website and examine all the panels and special guests that they have listed. Once you figure out what things/people you want to see, make a list of the times and where they are at. you get these helpful booklets when you register that have maps and where the panels/autographs are. Just take your time and plan things out.

As for the people; A majority of them are the nicest people you'll meet. I have talked to several dozens of fans while waiting in line for autographs. We talk movies, games; whatever and just have a good laugh.

However there are those who are iffy. I've seen some idiots act like a bunch of jackarses. They are very grabby for swag and are not afraid to push themselves past you to get free swag. Some are just the sterotypical basement geeks who don't understand what deoderant is.

But again, a majority of them are very awesome. Just remember to keep an eye on your stuff, bring lots of things to keep you entertained during long lines, and carry cash (a majority of autographs are cash only. Shops though tend to accept ATM cards thanks to those nifty credit card dongles for phones).

As for meeting actors/actresses - they generally are very wonderful people. Never feel afraid to talk to them and ask questions that you are curious about. Most celebrities are very friendly and fun to talk too.

Finally when it comes to Cosplayers. If someone is in costume, they generally expect/understand that you'll want to take photos of them. Always ask first but they generally are more than happy to pose for you.

AND HAVE FUN AND TRY TO SMILE BETTER THAN ME (right)

1395381_10151789123341185_1254436648_n.j

I saw that the "Bronies" documentary was on Netflix and sat down and watched that, although the cons were not their main focus they did show a lot of con footage. Being fairly new to the fandom (Around 8 months) the only fan stuff I knew about was the art, and more recently I discovered fimfiction, but I didn't know how big the music scene was. After doing some research with the info everyone has provided I feel I have a better concept of what goes on at a con and what to expect at one.

Back on topic - For those that have gone to a con, did you go alone or with friends? If you rented a hotel room, did you split it with others (Friends you went with or people from forums)? For those of us that have never done this before, how did you handle sharing the room (Especially if you never met the person face to face)? How the process go for getting your badges?

Sorry for all the questions, I guess I really want to go but want to make sure I know what I'm doing and who better to ask then people who have gone through these situations before. Thanks! 

1. I go with friends but on rare occasions, I go by myself. If I go with friends, I make sure they all know that if I see something or have a panel I want to see - I won't wait for them and they should not wait for me. We'll always meet up after the event.

2. I split the hotel fee. You can usually find them for cheap if you book it ahead of time.

3. For splitting a room with someone you just met - it's usually nervous at first since you guys are new to each other. Just make sure you both respect each other's space.

4. Getting badges is a painless process. Some cons let you pick them up early. Most, however, have you wait in a registration line. You give the person your name and if you have an email confirmation ticket, you show them that. They hand you the badge. DO NOT LOSE IT!  Always keep it visable on your person.

If anyone ever has questions about cons, I am becoming a con-addict so feel free to ask me anything ^_^ I'd be more than happy to offer advice, share experiences, what have you to any of you.

Edited by DiscordAnarchy
  • Brohoof 2

Just relax at brony conventions and go with the flow of things.

BronyCon 2012 was an amazing experience and one that significantly impacted me in several, very personal ways. I went alone. Despite that and despite being a very introverted person, I had little trouble socializing with a ton of strangers and milling about. Think of the convention as little more than a giant party. Some people are going alone, many are going with friends, but talk to whoever you want and saunter up to groups of strangers and engage them. Most are very welcoming and easy to talk to.

I also went in 2013. Once again, I went alone. However, I did meet up with a bunch of people from the forum (mostly staff) and they were exactly as I had come to know them online, so that was cool. Like the year before, I milled about and talked to a few random people and found it easy to relate.

For me, panels and scheduled events are fun little bonus things to be caught when possible. For the most part, a convention is a social event, a huge party, and I concern myself foremost with the people I encounter. Keep in mind that if you've watched one VA panel or writers panel or whatever, you've watched them all. People ask the same questions and they discuss the same things. Going to one is understandable though for the novelty of getting to see those people in person though, so maybe you'd like to go to one for that reason even if you've watched them online before.

Despite people's advice to me about eating habits, sleep patterns, and stuff like that, I just did what made me comfortable. That was to get little sleep and run about to wherever interesting things were transpiring and to have a snack when hungry. Food wasn't a big concern to me. Maybe because I was always too excited. I'd say discover what works best for you. Do what comes naturally while you're there. That's all I did even at my first convention. Over-planning causes complications. ^^

• Brohoof 2

I have been to several conventions from Comic Con (the biggest I've attended) and WTF Con (Smallest I've been too). KomicKazi, Anime Con, and Wondercon as well.

Conventions may see seriously overwhelming at first because of the crowds but they are a lot of fun. The first thing you will want to do is go to the website and examine all the panels and special guests that they have listed. Once you figure out what things/people you want to see, make a list of the times and where they are at. you get these helpful booklets when you register that have maps and where the panels/autographs are. Just take your time and plan things out.

As for the people; A majority of them are the nicest people you'll meet. I have talked to several dozens of fans while waiting in line for autographs. We talk movies, games; whatever and just have a good laugh.

However there are those who are iffy. I've seen some idiots act like a bunch of jackarses. They are very grabby for swag and are not afraid to push themselves past you to get free swag. Some are just the sterotypical basement geeks who don't understand what deoderant is.

But again, a majority of them are very awesome. Just remember to keep an eye on your stuff, bring lots of things to keep you entertained during long lines, and carry cash (a majority of autographs are cash only. Shops though tend to accept ATM cards thanks to those nifty credit card dongles for phones).

As for meeting actors/actresses - they generally are very wonderful people. Never feel afraid to talk to them and ask questions that you are curious about. Most celebrities are very friendly and fun to talk too.

Finally when it comes to Cosplayers. If someone is in costume, they generally expect/understand that you'll want to take photos of them. Always ask first but they generally are more than happy to pose for you.

AND HAVE FUN AND TRY TO SMILE BETTER THAN ME (right)

img-2174549-1-1395381_10151789123341185_

1. I go with friends but on rare occasions, I go by myself. If I go with friends, I make sure they all know that if I see something or have a panel I want to see - I won't wait for them and they should not wait for me. We'll always meet up after the event.

2. I split the hotel fee. You can usually find them for cheap if you book it ahead of time.

3. For splitting a room with someone you just met - it's usually nervous at first since you guys are new to each other. Just make sure you both respect each other's space.

4. Getting badges is a painless process. Some cons let you pick them up early. Most, however, have you wait in a registration line. You give the person your name and if you have an email confirmation ticket, you show them that. They hand you the badge. DO NOT LOSE IT!  Always keep it visable on your person.

If anyone ever has questions about cons, I am becoming a con-addict so feel free to ask me anything ^_^ I'd be more than happy to offer advice, share experiences, what have you to any of you.

First off, love the pic! Thanks for for the info and if I have any more questions I'll definitely PM ya.

Just relax at brony conventions and go with the flow of things.

BronyCon 2012 was an amazing experience and one that significantly impacted me in several, very personal ways. I went alone. Despite that and despite being a very introverted person, I had little trouble socializing with a ton of strangers and milling about. Think of the convention as little more than a giant party. Some people are going alone, many are going with friends, but talk to whoever you want and saunter up to groups of strangers and engage them. Most are very welcoming and easy to talk to.

I also went in 2013. Once again, I went alone. However, I did meet up with a bunch of people from the forum (mostly staff) and they were exactly as I had come to know them online, so that was cool. Like the year before, I milled about and talked to a few random people and found it easy to relate.

For me, panels and scheduled events are fun little bonus things to be caught when possible. For the most part, a convention is a social event, a huge party, and I concern myself foremost with the people I encounter. Keep in mind that if you've watched one VA panel or writers panel or whatever, you've watched them all. People ask the same questions and they discuss the same things. Going to one is understandable though for the novelty of getting to see those people in person though, so maybe you'd like to go to one for that reason even if you've watched them online before.

Despite people's advice to me about eating habits, sleep patterns, and stuff like that, I just did what made me comfortable. That was to get little sleep and run about to wherever interesting things were transpiring and to have a snack when hungry. Food wasn't a big concern to me. Maybe because I was always too excited. I'd say discover what works best for you. Do what comes naturally while you're there. That's all I did even at my first convention. Over-planning causes complications. ^^

That's kind of how I was approaching the con at first, a big party with like minded people.   

(edited)

Ohhh, speaking of food...a lot of these cons have amazing food-trucks!!! OMG SUCH GOOD FOODS

You may have just made this trip .......

200-nodither.gif

(I know old meme is old, sorry)

But all in all it's good to know

Edited by Commander_Shepony

I never was at any Con. But i was thinking about going someday and i would love to work on commissions there and also sell stuff i made/drew! That would be awesome experience!
How is this possible to do? Is here anyone who had their "table" at any con? Can anyone tell me something about it?
Thanks C:

• Brohoof 1

I personally went to BUCK 2013 in August. If you have the money to spare you would not regret it, one of my favorite things from 2013 was BUCK. There are a lot of people and if you want merch bring lots of money because it's not cheap :P Best part is getting to meet the community and getting to meet people you like is really cool as well. Luckily my friend is a brony so I went with him.

I never was at any Con. But i was thinking about going someday and i would love to work on commissions there and also sell stuff i made/drew! That would be awesome experience!

How is this possible to do? Is here anyone who had their "table" at any con? Can anyone tell me something about it?

Thanks C:

So I did a little google search, and came up with http://www.comixtribe.com/2012/03/26/tabling-at-your-first-comic-convention/ which has advice both for those attending and those getting a table at a con.

Now I don't know about other cons, but I can tell you that Everfree Northwest is looking at a price point, for the dealer's badge, of $75 for a half table, or $100 for a full table, which includes the regular attendance cost.

• Brohoof 1

You may have just made this trip .......

img-2181449-1-200-nodither.gif

(I know old meme is old, sorry)

But all in all it's good to know

Truck-Burger-3.png

This is the menu of one of the food trucks I went too during Wondercon.

It was all I ate all weekend. Unhealthy but I DID NOT CARE!

• Brohoof 2

So I did a little google search, and came up with http://www.comixtribe.com/2012/03/26/tabling-at-your-first-comic-convention/ which has advice both for those attending and those getting a table at a con.

Now I don't know about other cons, but I can tell you that Everfree Northwest is looking at a price point, for the dealer's badge, of $75 for a half table, or $100 for a full table, which includes the regular attendance cost.

Oh, awesome! Thank you very much! :)

Wow, this is the type of thread for me. I have never been to a con before and was always wondering what the protocol was for like how much money you should bring or what the protocol is for taking pictures with some of the Va's etc. I know it sorta depends on who they are and which con you're at, but are they mostly cool with you taking pictures with them? I really need to budget my money really well at this con, seeing as all I want to do in Baltimore and going to LA straight from BWI. I all ready settled on just going to the con on Saturday instead of a 2 or 3 day pass.

img-2182270-2-Truck-Burger-3.png

This is the menu of one of the food trucks I went too during Wondercon.

It was all I ate all weekend. Unhealthy but I DID NOT CARE!

With how good those look who cares about health facts lol

Most of these events are a weekend thing and I was wondering how many nights everyone reserved your room for. I am looking at grabbing hotel reservations but don't know if I should spring for Sunday night room rental as I don't know what time Bronycon will end on Sunday? What do you think is the way to go? 

I don't know, but I may after Saturday. I might go to a small scale ComicCon in Victoria, Texas. It still was sold out a month before, at a TINY STORE. I expect good thousand or two. But this place is not big, and few know about the Con in the first place.

1. I've always gone with friends.

2. The cost of the hotel (and parking at the hotel) has been split between us all (generally 8-10 people), and it still ends up costing more than the ticket to go to the con.

3. As for sleeping arrangements, any couples typically got first dibs on beds, and then others had a shot at it.  Everyone else would make themselves a comfortable spot on the floor.  It's very important to set rules for everyone who stays to follow.  For example: everyone cleans their own mess, don't deadlock the doors under any circumstances, if a person has not paid for the room, they cannot stay in the room (in other words, don't bring random people in), etc.

4. Getting badges varies greatly between cons.  Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a nightmare; it all depends on how well the con staff can handle it.  Last year at CTCon, I waited for about 45 minutes in line for the people who pre-registered (which isn't actually that bad).  I've also heard horror stories of some con in Massachusetts (it may have been Anime Boston, but I always hear it as its infamous nickname: Line-Con '08) where people had to wait for hours.  Essentially, just be prepared to wait, and be pleasantly surprised if you don't.

My first con was BronyCon 2013 in Baltimore. I was really happy because it was held really close to where I live. It only takes a 5-8 minute ride to the train station and on the train, it takes 4 stops to get to the Convention Center. I did go with my mom and baby sister and brother. If you plan on bringing babies for any reason whatsoever, there are pros and cons to doing that.

PROS

The BC staff will let you go all the way to the front of a line to get to the autograph booth.

CONS

The babies might cry a lot due to creepy Fluttershy costumes o.o

No but seriously, bring a book bag, lots of cash and credit card(if you own one), some snacks, beverages, and your favorite pony plush. Everyone already pointed out things you might need here already.