Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's it like at a con?

Stick Shift

So I have been thinking of going to a convention this year but have never attended any type of convention. I guess I'm looking for some input on what it is like to go to one and what I should expect. I was looking at BronyCon or Everfree Northwest ( Maybe both ), also it would be helpful knowing what to plan for. 

On a side note if you did go, were there groups you joined that you met up with or did you just meet up with friends from the forum/IRL?

• Brohoof 2

I can't tell you about MLP Cons but I can tell you about cons in general. Merch, everywhere. You can meet awesome people and VAs. They have all sorts of stuff going on at cons like live performances and panels and such. Try to contain yourself when you get an autograph or ask a question to a VA. For the love of god, don't mention any fan stuff to the VAs. Everrr. At my local con some dickhead mentioned Molestia to Nicole Oliver and now we have almost no chance of having any MLP VA anymore. So please, no fan content mentioned to the VAs.

• Brohoof 8

I can't tell you about MLP Cons but I can tell you about cons in general. Merch, everywhere. You can meet awesome people and VAs. They have all sorts of stuff going on at cons like live performances and panels and such. Try to contain yourself when you get an autograph or ask a question to a VA. For the love of god, don't mention any fan stuff to the VAs. Everrr. At my local con some dickhead mentioned Molestia to Nicole Oliver and now we have almost no chance of having any MLP VA anymore. So please, no fan content mentioned to the VAs.

Well that stinks, although it does seem that most Q & A's get bad questions or people mono-logging about themselves. 

Going to a con can be a lot of fun. If you're something of an introvert (like me) you may find the crowds overwhelming, but at the same time there's a large number of people there who will be interested in talking about the same sorts of things that you like talking about.

WORKING a con, on the other hand, takes even more energy, but can feel really rewarding and is a great way to make new friends.

• Brohoof 2

That happened at a bigger con to, I honestly don't know why people think mentioning really, really adult and questionable things at a public panel with kids around is a good idea. Considering she likes JJ I think it was more the fact someone overstepped that line of bringing it up there than the content itself. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Going to a con can be a lot of fun. If you're something of an introvert (like me) you may find the crowds overwhelming, but at the same time there's a large number of people there who will be interested in talking about the same sorts of things that you like talking about.

WORKING a con, on the other hand, takes even more energy, but can feel really rewarding and is a great way to make new friends.

So, for working a con, you would probably have to live somewhere near the event I presume.

• Brohoof 1

Never been to a con, but I hope to go to some science fiction cons and perhaps make it to Bronycon sometime soon. I'm going to be building a life-size, show accurate Dalek from Doctor Who with five people (me being one). We plan to roll it around with us and show it off. I'd love to go to a brony convention and meet my fellow bronies.

• Brohoof 1

My friends and I work the Jurassic Park Legacy fansite booth every year at Wizard World and I can tell you it's A LOT of fun. Fan booths alone are great to visit, because there's always something cool, nerdy, and fanmade to check out. (Last year, we were right across from the REAL Batmobile and next to a Aliens fansite booth that had guys dressed up as Colonial Marines and there was a lifesize Xenomorph egg they had). There are merchandise booths EVERYWHERE, but it's better to bring your own food because con food is EXPENSIVE. Also, watch out for price scalpers. If something seems too expensive, or looks chinsily made, it's probably better to pass it up. That reminds me: bring A LOT of money. Cons are usually just a once a year thing for me because that's all I can afford. Go there with at least $300 bucks because between the admission fees and the merchandise booths, you'll probably spend over $250 of it. There's also a lot of cosplayers at cons and usually the better the costume, the more pictures the person is asked for. Along with cosplays, there's costume contests, and all sorts of activities. There's usually several panels that have celebrities. Outside of MLP cons, Stan Lee is a pretty big regular, but non-pony cons also sometimes feature wrestlers and peeps who have been in comic book movies or have worked in comic related things. If you think you want to have something signed, bring it along. Last year, Tara Strong was at Wizard World and I had my Twilight Sparkle figure signed. Also, don't forget to stop at the art panels. Even if you're not looking to buy any art, there's still a lot of GREAT art to admire there, and artists always like to have their art appreciated.

#sry4walloftext

So, for working a con, you would probably have to live somewhere near the event I presume.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but I would heavily suggest it. I've never been to any cons besides Wizard World, but I can only imagine the stress and mess it would take to even visit one out of area. SDCC, for example, is a con I can only dream of attending. I hear it's common for attendees to bring about $1000 to it. And with being a bigger con, I expect the entrance fee to be higher than most. All that doesn't even take into consideration the travel fares of getting me from Chicago to California.

• Brohoof 3

It's not required, but it is helpful... Let me see if I can break that down somewhat. I can only speak about my experience with Everfree Northwest, and would appreciate it if others can add additional perspectives.

For the general staff members, the only requirements to be there and be helpful are for the days of the con itself; maybe a day or two before and after to help with setting up and cleaning up.

Even many of the higher up staff, the people that do the actual planning, don't live in the Seattle region, but between our use of our internal staff wiki, email, and Skype, they can coordinate with all other staff, and do everything they need to do to make the convention successful.

The only things where you HAVE to live close are those tasks involving the convention storage space, and only a few members of staff are required for those tasks. The big advantage of living close enough is being able to attend and take part in the staff meetings, which happen once a month or so, but attending the meetings isn't required, and we make sure everyone is informed of the important information that comes from such meetings.

If you're hitting one of the major conventions like Bronycon or Everfree they will hopefully be a bit more organized then a first year convention although there is a always a large level of CHAOS to any convention going on. You do want to have your hotel and flight booked and organized long beforehand and come with plenty of cash for swag and food expenses. Best thing is try to plan out your stay with their convention schedule and hopefully they wont go changing that on you throughout the stay.  

Just be aware there will always be some cringeworthy moments and people at any convention. People with no social skills will be present but also plenty of nice, wonderful people you will hopefully meet and keep in touch with. Lots of lines, waiting around, and feeling a bit overwhelmed and out of place are natural. I highly recommend going with SOME people you know so that you can have fun as a group vs being by yourself.

• Brohoof 2

My friends and I work the Jurassic Park Legacy fansite booth every year at Wizard World and I can tell you it's A LOT of fun. Fan booths alone are great to visit, because there's always something cool, nerdy, and fanmade to check out. (Last year, we were right across from the REAL Batmobile and next to a Aliens fansite booth that had guys dressed up as Colonial Marines and there was a lifesize Xenomorph egg they had). There are merchandise booths EVERYWHERE, but it's better to bring your own food because con food is EXPENSIVE. Also, watch out for price scalpers. If something seems too expensive, or looks chinsily made, it's probably better to pass it up. That reminds me: bring A LOT of money. Cons are usually just a once a year thing for me because that's all I can afford. Go there with at least $300 bucks because between the admission fees and the merchandise booths, you'll probably spend over $250 of it. There's also a lot of cosplayers at cons and usually the better the costume, the more pictures the person is asked for. Along with cosplays, there's costume contests, and all sorts of activities. There's usually several panels that have celebrities. Outside of MLP cons, Stan Lee is a pretty big regular, but non-pony cons also sometimes feature wrestlers and peeps who have been in comic book movies or have worked in comic related things. If you think you want to have something signed, bring it along. Last year, Tara Strong was at Wizard World and I had my Twilight Sparkle figure signed. Also, don't forget to stop at the art panels. Even if you're not looking to buy any art, there's still a lot of GREAT art to admire there, and artists always like to have their art appreciated.

#sry4walloftext

That pretty cool, which Batmobile was it? Always good to get a perspective from someone who has worked/gone to some of these events.

It's not required, but it is helpful... Let me see if I can break that down somewhat. I can only speak about my experience with Everfree Northwest, and would appreciate it if others can add additional perspectives.

For the general staff members, the only requirements to be there and be helpful are for the days of the con itself; maybe a day or two before and after to help with setting up and cleaning up.

Even many of the higher up staff, the people that do the actual planning, don't live in the Seattle region, but between our use of our internal staff wiki, email, and Skype, they can coordinate with all other staff, and do everything they need to do to make the convention successful.

The only things where you HAVE to live close are those tasks involving the convention storage space, and only a few members of staff are required for those tasks. The big advantage of living close enough is being able to attend and take part in the staff meetings, which happen once a month or so, but attending the meetings isn't required, and we make sure everyone is informed of the important information that comes from such meetings.

That is good to know as I would be interested in volunteering some day after I've gone to a few cons to get a feel for them. I'm really thinking about going to EFNW this year, just have to look at scheduling. 

If you're hitting one of the major conventions like Bronycon or Everfree they will hopefully be a bit more organized then a first year convention although there is a always a large level of CHAOS to any convention going on. You do want to have your hotel and flight booked and organized long beforehand and come with plenty of cash for swag and food expenses. Best thing is try to plan out your stay with their convention schedule and hopefully they wont go changing that on you throughout the stay.  

Just be aware there will always be some cringeworthy moments and people at any convention. People with no social skills will be present but also plenty of nice, wonderful people you will hopefully meet and keep in touch with. Lots of lines, waiting around, and feeling a bit overwhelmed and out of place are natural. I highly recommend going with SOME people you know so that you can have fun as a group vs being by yourself.

I hear what you are saying about planning early, I was looking at hotels for Bronycon and it looks like the reserved spots are gone already. As for the cringeworthyness (That's not a word!) I kind of expected that would be the case with most cons in general but as you said it is always better with a group of people rather than by yourself. Will have to look around on the forums and find some people that are going.  

ive been to a charcon a few years back, does that count

It's a con so i don't see why not.

From what I hear from past experiences from conventions excluding that I've never been to one myself, you get to meet voice actors, artists, and other members of the fandom. It's better to bring plenty of money and plan months ahead of schedule, especially when they announce that tickets are on sale.

Well I see a lot of bronies in groups discussing stuff. There are panels discussing stuff like the show or fanwork. There are stands that sell fan made stuff that were pretty expensive (seriously, there were plushes for 70 bucks) and people who play games. So al and all, pretty fun.

I've never been to an MLP con. My first one will be in June this year. I can tell you about cons in general though. They can be so damn fun if done correctly. You'll encounter cosplayers, merch everywhere, panels, more merch, ect. Trust me, you'll have fun. :D

I've never been to a pony specific con, but I've been going to cons for years, including those that did have pony related content.  The three biggest pieces of advice I can give you:

1) Expect things to be very, very crowded, especially the dealer's room. 

2) Dealer's room can be expensive.  Personally, I think it's best to only use the dealers room to get stuff you can't get cheaper anywhere else.  Also, sundays are a good day to buy on, since there will often be markdowns (though you run the risk of the good stuff being gone by then)

3) Bring lots of bottled water and snacks.  You're going to have to hydrate yourself and keep up your energy somehow, and food and drink at the con site is very pricey. 

• Brohoof 3

1) Expect things to be very, very crowded, especially the dealer's room. 2) Dealer's room can be expensive. Personally, I think it's best to only use the dealers room to get stuff you can't get cheaper anywhere else. Also, sundays are a good day to buy on, since there will often be markdowns (though you run the risk of the good stuff being gone by then) 3) Bring lots of bottled water and snacks. You're going to have to hydrate yourself and keep up your energy somehow, and food and drink at the con site is very pricey.

I have one more thing to add to that list:  Be prepared to stand in a lot of lines.  The first, and possibly longest, will be when you go to pick up your guest badge and other pre-registration goodies.  Any panel worth its while will have a line form before hand.  And autograph signings ALWAYS have long lines. 

• Brohoof 4

Most things seem to have been said already, but I have a couple more tips.  DO NOT try to pay for the hotel room yourself.  Find someone (or several someones) to share the room with, because those rooms can be ridiculously expensive.  For reference, my friends and I go to ConnectiCon every year.  There's usually 8-10 of us, so we get two hotel rooms.  For staying two nights, we each have to put in about $100 for two small two-bedroom rooms that don't have refrigerators.  My second tip is to have a plan.  The dealer's room is great, but you can spend money on the internet.  If you want to spend money to go somewhere just so you can spend money in a crowded environment then you can definitely do that at a con, but the real draw of the con are the panels and other events.  See if you can access a schedule early, and figure out what you want to go to and when.  You don't want to miss obscure, but awesome events just because you didn't know that they existed.

That all being said, if you do decide to go, I hope that you have a blast!

Edited by Antismurf9001
  • Brohoof 3

I have been to BronyCon once and the Detroit anime convention, Youmacon, 5 times.

Travelling specifically for a con is extremely expensive. As much as I would like to go to BronyCon again, taking a plane and staying at a hotel is a lot. Although you said that the main hotel is already booked? There are lots of hotels to stay at and it is entirely possible that they can add to the room block.

Which con do you live closer to? I recommend going to that one. Going to a con for the first time is easier when you live closer. My first Youmacon was a 20-30 minute drive from my house and I was only able to stay for a short while. I was only able to go to BronyCon in 2012 because I was going to be on the east coast around that time anyways.

Basic con tips:

Eat decently healthy, drink water, sleep, SHOWER

Don't be shy, talk to people and be friendly. Don't be awkward.

Bring lots of cash

Split a room with people. You can find people online to room with. I have done this and it has turned out well.

When the schedule comes out, plan ahead.

The longer you are at the con, the better.

Don't be too mad if you have to miss an event for whatever reason. The schedule that you set is adaptable.

I have a lot more where that came from but that should get you started.

• Brohoof 6