Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about custom plushies?

Simon

I looked around and didn't see a topic on this, so I thought I'd create one.

I'm curious about what everybody else thinks about custom mlp plushies? I've seen a lot of different opinions on them ranging from people outright insulting someone for buying one and calling them names for wasting their money on a $400 toy to people who treat them like artwork and think they're worth perhaps even more than they already are sold at.

Personally, for the longest time I was one of the people who thought that you had to be a few bricks short of a load to get one, and then when I really got into the fandom, I ended up meeting a person who makes the plushies and learned more about the process he has to go through to actually make one, and I started to agree more and more with the view that they're artwork, and actually ended up commissioning him to make one.

Anyway, just curious what other people think about them :D

• Brohoof 1

They can be really awesome, but they can also be rather pricey. I'd prefer just to buy the 20$ ones from 4DE. However, if it's a pony that 4D3 isn't likely to make, then I'd be willing to shell out some money to buy a custom plushie. 

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all that's been said here. I've seen some really amazing custom plushies, but they've all been super expensive. However, I would rather spend my money on something nice than something really junky (most of the non-customs, IMO), but I've yet to buy a custom plushie for myself. Maybe someday, if I can find a bargain.

I think they are not only awesome, but just as adorable.

You have to give major credit towards those who create it, as the detail and designs match show wise, and with little to mistakes.

Also, even the bootlegs can be just as amazing! Take a look at this Rarity bootleg plushie, it's still beautiful and I want it!  :D

tumblr_mzbaimXcaM1tnvnnho1_500.jpg

• Brohoof 1

They look awesome, I do look at them as artwork because it's like any other craft. Even though they're a bit expensive I do think that it's worth it for a good plushie. So yeah, I think they're awesome and it would be awesome owning one.

I've searched high and low through stores all over the place, and honestly, all the plushies being sold suck.

There's always something off about them, and I want my plushie to look EXACTLY like the pony.

The only good pony plushies out there are the build-a-bears.

So when I first saw those custom plushies people make, I wanted every single one ever. Immediately.

I'm pretty sure I first saw them on Equestria Daily, but my goal this year is to get one when I go to Brony-Con.

They are adorable <3

And yeah the bootlegs actually are still pretty adorable.  I actually bought a Luna bootleg from China mainly because she was cheap and I was curious if she actually would turn out to be decent quality, and when I got her she was surprisingly amazing.  There were little things like her horn not having enough stuffing, but she's still a thousand times cuter and better quality than official plushies.

And like I said I definitely agree that they can be worth the cost.  I think one of the big eye openers for me was when I actually realized that when they make a plushie the artist has to design the whole pattern for the plushie (or at least for the mane and tail) and design the cutie marks for the embroidery machine, and it really was a lot more work than I thought it was before I got involved in the fandom.

As far as the build a bears, I have them and they're adorable and really close to being like the show but sadly they still seem off.  The head shape is weird in person for one, and the mane and tails bother me a lot more than I thought they would.  But they're still adorable and I'll definitely buy Rarity and Apple Jack if they ever come out :D

Well I like making my own pony plushes. I like it since then I can make characters that wouldn't be made into a plush otherwise ( Like Snowdrop and Royal Ribbon). Definitely a lot of work goes into making these plushes especially with bits like the cutie marks and such.

I can totally understand why customs are so expensive; they require a lot of labor and relatively few people make them (compared to the number of people who want them). Looking at economics, it's only natural that they'd be costly. But of course that means I can't afford one, which is too bad because I doubt we'll see a 4DE Celestia or Luna plushie, among other things (at least in the next decade or so).

I've bought custom MLP plush but I've never had to spend over $50 for them. I've got a big mac that was created in a G1 pattern and he's awesome and I only spent around $40 for him. I've also got a twilight sparkle from the same artist and she was $35.

• 2 weeks later...

I think plushies are awesome. There are some really gorgeous ones out there. I know that I'm not rolling around in the dough, though, so there's no way that I could really put down the money for one at this point. However, if I did, I have a list of people who I would commission and what ponies I'd like. :3

I won't say how much I've spent on the plushies I own but IMO I feel that I have them not only because I'm a fan but to appreciate the hard work and artistic value they represent within our community. Yes, custom plushies are expensive, the brand name ones are getting better looking and more show accurate plus they are cheaper. To each their own, but I love the ones I had commissioned.

In reality if there is a demand for a product or service there is a market for it. If fans aren't pleased with licensed products then historically they make their own from scratch. With the advances in technology homemade things are easier to produce, still hard, but somewhat easier. I don't think most plushie makers hand make cutie marks or eyes, I could be wrong. I've got to give it up to the men and women who put in the time and effort to make these available to the fandom. I know Twilight would give you her approval, I mean they are "hoof-stitched."

post-17805-0-32897800-1391560685_thumb.png

If you watch the episode again and got further into the scene, the horn is actually one of the spikes on Spike's dragon costume. It took me a second to figure it out. If you look closely Spike is actually on the other side of Twilight's cape in the picture, you can see his green belly.

Edited by sunset_sprint

who makes the plushies and learned more about the process he has to go through to actually make one,

Key wording in there IMO.

While if your making a custom one time only pony I can see the extremely high pricing. My views on it becomes very low right about the time I see someone mass producing them with only varied material color and cutie mark at best.

Once the plans are laid out and understood, the process learned and perfect. The time and cost of production drastically goes down for this sort of thing. So for someone making dozens of them with terribly MINOR variations.. Extremely high pricing is  :okiedokielokie:

For a brand spanking new, one of a kind, though by far it can be  B)

The pricing should reflect the work on that product when its custom and the materials gone into that individual project, not the initial learning curve. That should be on the creator to get by first (unless of course it was a random commission on something you've just never made before in your particular field.)

I won't expect to ever see a pricing as low as manufactured in a factory prices on such things as they are still very much hand made and time consuming. But some of the prices are just... :blink:

Edited by GrimCW

I have 6 of them and I really think they're all great. They are kind of on the exspensive side. Especially when the last 3 I have gotten have all been under $30 and they are honestly better looking than my more exspensive ones. Some of the people who are trying to get around $300+ for their work are definitley pushing the limit and looking for a quick cash grab from people who don't do research.

$300+ for their work are definitley pushing the limit and looking for a quick cash grab from ponies who don't do research.

heh this reminded me.

Anyone here know about the Pinkie Pie BaB original run? It was very limited and sold out in no time, people were paying $200+ on ebay for it!

Being as popular as it was IMO made it obvious they were gonna bring her back (especially when they began releasing the newer ones) but yeah.. Quick cash grab for many is of no doubt to me (not saying some don't deserve it though).

Even things from comic con that are "exclusive" will end up on ebay for exceedingly high prices, and people of course pay for them...

Wait a week or two after comic-con and you can usually find these "exclusives" all over in online retailers for the stock price, or slightly over. 

Edited by GrimCW