Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Closet Bronies That Are Even Closeted Among Bronies

GXPBlast

(edited)

I have only met a couple bronies in Real Life that I have admitted to being a brony and that's because they are not affiliated with any of my non-brony friends or are in the same building such as school

The reason why I hide me being a brony to many bronies in school for example is because they know other people that I know that are not bronies and could judge me negatively. Also just talking about liking MLP could have others ease drop on our conversation and gossip about me in school. Plus some bronies in my school have a big mouth and would probably broadcast to other people that I am a brony without realizing it could cause problems

Also when the conversation of MLP comes up with the broneis I know in school, I act like I have lack of knowledge in the subject but I say I have friends that are bronies and I dont judge bronies negatively.

However, there are times where I show my knowledge in MLP when the conversations get deep into the show and I really want to contribute but it almost blew my cover and since then I have not talked about MLP with them or contribute much to the conversation.

The only time I could see myself becoming more open about it is if I go to a convention with all bronies (which I dont see happening any time) or I meet other bronies outside my group of friends in school or just outside enough to a point there is no chance they would know people I know who are not bronies or in any relation to school.

Anyone else a closet brony even among bronies and why do you remain closeted? If so what would it take for you to reveal yourself to them?

Edited by FurzVette
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I admit....I am a closet Brony. Just afraid of being made fun of..

Same here. Even through bronies are becoming mainstream and are really all over the internet in the millions and growing all the time, its more prominent on the internet than in real life at least where I live.

I think there was a herd index saying that there is a state where you are more likely to encounter a brony per non brony ratio.

I think the state was either Washington or Idaho, maybe if I lived there and I encountered more bronies I would consider coming out as a brony.

But where I live despite being a large city, non-bronies and possibly many who would be quick to judge really outnumber the bronies I encountered.

Edited by FurzVette

I'm still in the stables myself. I haven't talked about the show with the few other bronies I have encountered simply because I did so prior to becoming a brony myself. The one guy who seemed embarrassed (he was a teenager) about the fact that I recognized what was on his custom-made t-shirt (Rainbow Dash's cutie mark) I placated by explaining that I had a young daughter and I did still enjoy cartoons myself.

As of yet, I haven't told any of my other friends, including the one I am fairly certain is a pegasister herself.

However, I'm going to a convention this summer, so that will pretty much be my coming out of the stables party.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have a feeling @StarSwirlTheBearded defiantly could relate lol. I look forward to see what he has to say as well.

Edited by FurzVette
  • Brohoof 1

I could care less what other people think so nope I never was in the closet about it, especially to that extent. I have been singled out for many other things in past so I understand why people are in the closet about it but I learned a long time ago that it is best to not care what other people think.

I am an extreme closet brony. Only my closest friend knows im a brony, but she refuses to become one. At my school people get heavily picked on, especially for things like this. Unless you have people to back you up, or can remain hidden you rarely stand a chance due to them outnumbering you.

(edited)

Honestly I used to be somepony who was very insecure, and constantly thought everypony was out to get me, used to think that I was constantly being judged no matter what I said, what I was doing, who I was with. MLP was what broke that for me I believe, I had never been so comfortable to be in my skin up until the day I knew I was a "brony"/devout MLP lover. Just lessons about being proud of your friends no matter who they are to somepony else, or lessons about  how being "cool" isn't always whats cool, but really just hurtful and ignorant. I just really feel like I am more of myself than I ever was prior to who I am now.

Edited by Starlight Glisten
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am an extreme closet brony. Only my closest friend knows im a brony, but she refuses to become one. At my school people get heavily picked on, especially for things like this. Unless you have people to back you up, or can remain hidden you rarely stand a chance due to them outnumbering you.

This, its the sad truth, but thats why I love to come to these forums and meet other bronies. Most likely I will never meet them in real life, but its a good way to communicate with other bronies who have to remain closeted due to negative judgement. Plus we get to talk about all things MLP related.

Sometimes the internet makes it seem like bronies are everywhere and its more accepted than it really is. Despite bronies increasing in popularity and becoming abit more mainstream, we still are in danger of harrasment if we dont have a bunch of other brony friends to back us up.

Edited by FurzVette

I will admit it online, In real life I will never admit I am a brony lol.

The best thing about online is the anomalimity and thats why I am comfortable being open about my bronyness

• Brohoof 2

The best thing about online is the anomalimity and thats why I am comfortable being open about my bronyness

If things were differently and people looked at My little Pony Friendship is Magic as more of a Disney Movie rather then What MLP in the 1980's or 90's was. Maybe instead of the " but its for little girls" stoped being mentioned completely from any arguements like in the brony doc.

Then maybe things could be different and I would be more willing to admit it in RL. That is because more people would be more informed and Bronies would have a better defence of why we like it other then the "buts its good" "but its for little girls regardless" arguement.

Its not just for little girls its more like watching a Disney movie! Its a Family show. Not a little girls show. Its more like what cartoons in the 90's like Ren and Stimpy, Rug Rats, Ahhh real monsters, Angry Beavers, what GOOD cartoons back in the day used to be like. THAT is why we like it! We all grew up with those cartoons. Kids today, teenagers, older adults did not. They cannot see how much like the old cartoons MLP FIM is a lot a like in terms of overall quallity it is.

When you add the fact that Rule 34 was not around during the 80-90's. So was not the internet the way it is today. Where Beastiallity was far less "known" and media did not domninate the world the way it does today. When you add ALL of that together. Add MLP with its still Gen1-3 public view point. Plus with the introduction of Internet Trolls and everything else.

What we have here is that FIM is about 12 years behind schedule for it to be widely accepted more easily.

Rather then look at the "normal bronies" those of us who are not wearing customes, flooding our rooms full of pony merch or have some creepy obssession like many other poeple who form attachments in rule 34 and furry departments of the internet.

People look at those people and assume that every one of us is like.....them.

I bet if there was just some way to have a way to "not" push the show onto people. but to simple sit them down, Show them just one good example of what we mean and say or argue or push nothing else. Then more people might get it.

Like show them a scene or clip or a song for that matter of Uncle Grandpa, Allen Gregory, Annoying Orange, problem solvers, fanboy and chum chum, also lets throw in fred the show, and planet sheen...ok and then just one REALLY good example of MLP like the Bats song. Then people would see how it compares to the "Worst shows ever". People would see instantly that FIM might just be better then what they actually ARE watching! Would it convert them? NO! Not our goal and we should stay away from it! Would it cut down on the Harassment if many people were to see that? Sure! I think so!

• Brohoof 2

If things were differently and people looked at My little Pony Friendship is Magic as more of a Disney Movie rather then What MLP in the 1980's or 90's was. Maybe instead of the " but its for little girls" stoped being mentioned completely from any arguements like in the brony doc.

Then maybe things could be different and I would be more willing to admit it in RL. That is because more people would be more informed and Bronies would have a better defence of why we like it other then the "buts its good" "but its for little girls regardless" arguement.

Its not just for little girls its more like watching a Disney movie! Its a Family show. Not a little girls show. Its more like what cartoons in the 90's like Ren and Stimpy, Rug Rats, Ahhh real monsters, Angry Beavers, what GOOD cartoons back in the day used to be like. THAT is why we like it! We all grew up with those cartoons. Kids today, teenagers, older adults did not. They cannot see how much like the old cartoons MLP FIM is a lot a like in terms of overall quallity it is.

When you add the fact that Rule 34 was not around during the 80-90's. So was not the internet the way it is today. Where Beastiallity was far less "known" and media did not domninate the world the way it does today. When you add ALL of that together. Add MLP with its still Gen1-3 public view point. Plus with the introduction of Internet Trolls and everything else.

What we have here is that FIM is about 12 years behind schedule for it to be widely accepted more easily.

Rather then look at the "normal bronies" those of us who are not wearing customes, flooding our rooms full of pony merch or have some creepy obssession like many other poeple who form attachments in rule 34 and furry departments of the internet.

People look at those people and assume that every one of us is like.....them.

I bet if there was just some way to have a way to "not" push the show onto people. but to simple sit them down, Show them just one good example of what we mean and say or argue or push nothing else. Then more people might get it.

Like show them a scene or clip or a song for that matter of Uncle Grandpa, Allen Gregory, Annoying Orange, problem solvers, fanboy and chum chum, also lets throw in fred the show, and planet sheen...ok and then just one REALLY good example of MLP like the Bats song. Then people would see how it compares to the "Worst shows ever". People would see instantly that FIM might just be better then what they actually ARE watching! Would it convert them? NO! Not our goal and we should stay away from it! Would it cut down on the Harassment if many people were to see that? Sure! I think so!

This is a very good post. Very well thought out.

I actually was closeted even from online activity until I gained the confidence to start posting around New Year's. I've lurked many boards for years, even before ponies, and learned Internet etiquette in the process.

I'm in the middle. I won't wear t-shirts, but if someone asks, i'll admit to being a brony.

• Brohoof 1

I've never gave a rats ass what people thought of what I like, so I'm not a closet anything. I haven't met any brony IRL, but doesn't mean I'd hide it. My brothers know I am, but I know they're not into that, so I just never say anything about it around them.

I don't wear T-shirts (yet) but I don't go out of my way to hide it either. If somebody walked up to me and asked me if I was a brony, I'd say yes. On the other hand though, I wouldn't go dancing around the streets, yelling "I love my little pony! Friendship really is Magic!!"

I am a closet brony, as has been pointed out earlier.  I don't frequently have contact with the few bronies I've seen.  As a result, even if I have the urge to tell them that I'm a brony, I wouldn't be able too since I'd have to go too far out of my way to tell them.

If I knew a brony that I was around a lot and on good terms with, I'd certainly tell them.  Otherwise, I probably wouldn't tell them. 

If a brony that I'm on neutral terms with asked me if I was a brony, I'd say yes only if many people weren't listening and I could trust them.  Regardless, if they're asking, they probably already think I'm a brony.  If a brony that I don't like asked me if I was a brony, I wouldn't tell them at all.

If I were friends with someone that I suspect is a brony, but are not confident about (which I am), I would probably start using vague references around them (which I plan on doing).

Although I would like to be open about it to at least a couple of people, the stigma attached to bronies in society makes me very cautious.  I've told no one that I'm a brony (yet).  If I tell anyone that I'm a brony, I will force them to keep it a secret.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
Although I would like to be open about it to at least a couple of people, the stigma attached to bronies in society makes me very cautious.

This, hopefully as the brony community continues to boom as it has in the last 4 years, more and more bronies will become common and eventually being a brony will be less of a negative stigma. After all we are 14 million worldwide and growing.

Edited by GXPBlast

This, hopefully as the brony community continues to boom as it has in the last 4 years, more and more bronies will become common and eventually being a brony will be less of a negative stigma. After all we are 14 million worldwide and growing.

14 million is quite a lot of bronies.  Where did you hear that?  The last estimate I heard was 7-12.4 million (which I thought was kind of high).

I can't say I relate to this. I've never been one to hide what I like. But I can understand being made fun of isn't nice and stress of school is already enough. All I can say is hang in there. One day you won't have to hide it. I bought the vynal toy from McDonald's the other day and when the clerk asked me about it I was like I like the show what of it? and this one will be my Magnus status hat. 8P hang in there it gets better people (for the most part) grow up and learn to not judge people based on their likes and dislikes.

Edited by Digit

14 million is quite a lot of bronies.  Where did you hear that?  The last estimate I heard was 7-12.4 million (which I thought was kind of high).

The 7-12 million is the estimated bronies are the amount in North America alone 14 million or more is the estimate worldwide.