Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What you'd do if mankind discover a planet with sapient beings less advanced?

InvaderShy

Humankind meets less advanced species  

27 users have voted

1. 1. What option would you stick for our relations with these sapient beings less advanced than us?

• Colonize them and make of them our slave species.
    • Help them to advance and progress.
    • Having economic and neutral relations would be enough.
    • Study them for our learning.
    • They're less advanced than us. It's better to ignore them.
    • None of above.

Space travel is one of the mankind's greatest ambitions. Many of us have dreamed on traveling thorugh the vaccum of space and meet other sapient species (you know: aliens with advenced technology). But, what would happen if mankind meet a sapient species who's, let's see, in its 15th or 17th century?

I saw the James Cameron's movie: Avatar. 'Twas a cool movie with an interesting plot, but with the great flaw of "love story". The human falls in love with alien princess and subsequent stuff (this is my standpoint, by the way). Since I saw that film I though in the question previously written, then I remembered the fact that the Jupiter's sixth moon, Europa, has live that, possibly, could evolve into sapient beings. By the time that happens, we could be a more advanced civilization (maybe one of Type III).

So, if it was up to you: what option would you stick for our relations with these sapient beings less advanced than us?

I vote for help them advance.

It would be really neat, and would open jobs to teach this other species how to do stuff.

I'm not saying "give them the blueprints to our inter-stellar spaceships", no just nudge them along. Give them outdated tech (*insert Kim Jung Un reference*) in an effort that they use it to create their own. see what thought processes they take, and use that to advance OUR species.

Yup, just study them. Just like they do to us in the movies. It's very unlikely we'd be able to communicate successfully with then like in TV shows. And I doubt there is a such thing as an "alien language translator" since the machine wouldn't be able to just learn a language since it is earthly... Or can it?

(edited)

Either turn them into a colony or client race like Britain did in India and Africa or Spain in South America for example or in some cases give them technology to uplift those to the own technological level, like what occured most times on Earth when an advanced civilization discovered primitives. And of course the new species has to be studied first. Enslavement can be possible, but for that Earth has to be under a oppressive tyrannical regime and the other race must be capable of doing tasks and producing stuff humans can use. Economic relations don't make sense if the civilization is primitive, as they won't have anything valuable to a space-faring empire that is capable of interstellar travel and colonization, or can you imagine 21st century USA and China trading with medieval Europe for clothing and food?

"What you'd do?" - Likely stay back on Earth or settlement colony worlds like 90% of population and see what the Terran Empire/Unified Earth/International Alliance/Space Commonwealth agencies, military, spacefleet etc. do?

Edited by Psychic Warrior

Follow the prime directive and not interfere unless they're faced with an immediate threat that might wipe them out of existance. It would be fascinating to study another sapient species, watch how they interact, go about their lives and slowly develop into a more advanced society. It would be a wasted opportunity to reveal ourselves or ignore it; if I may quote from Seinfeld, this would be "like discovering plutonium by accident!"

Yup, just study them. Just like they do to us in the movies. It's very unlikely we'd be able to communicate successfully with then like in TV shows. And I doubt there is a such thing as an "alien language translator" since the machine wouldn't be able to just learn a language since it is earthly... Or can it?

Let's try and figure out dolphin language first.

OT: At best, study them while disturbing them as little as possible. If not, just leave them alone. Perhaps intervene if they're about to cause a mass extinction on their own planet.

Frankly, I think there are other sapient species to be found right here on Earth. Maybe some day there'll be some kind of translator that'll enable human-to-dolphin communication. Just the precedent that would set...

• Brohoof 1

I think that sentient would be a better word for this, but anyway, assuming that planet is in reasonable distance, which is incredibly unlikely(mars isn't even within reasonable distance with our technology), the best route would simply be unobtrusive study. Learning about a whole new biosphere could help us fill many of the gaps in the timeline of our own existence and evolution, and would be super cool :D

I would love to make friends with them. No offense to mankind, but we are pretty jacked up. Let's face it. Some humans do indescribably questionable things, so I would like to see if an alien race would be as weird as some people on this planet.

Though learning their language would probably be the coolest thing ever.

Helping them advance is much better than enslaving them. If you enslave someone, it's only a matter of time before a resistance starts up.

• Brohoof 1

Let's try and figure out dolphin language first.

OT: At best, study them while disturbing them as little as possible. If not, just leave them alone. Perhaps intervene if they're about to cause a mass extinction on their own planet.

Frankly, I think there are other sapient species to be found right here on Earth. Maybe some day there'll be some kind of translator that'll enable human-to-dolphin communication. Just the precedent that would set...

I can't watch the video now, but I don't think there is a such thing as a language for every animal except to warn others, mate, etc. I doubt they have their own way of saying, "did you see that hot dolphin over there? I want to...*bleep lol*". Or well, get what I mean? They only communicate with body language the things they need to say. I think I said that right? Correct any fallacies or stuff that doesn't make sense that I said.

Observe from a distance. After we learn a bit about their mannerisms, make contact and attempt to show we come in peace. After that, probably something similar to what they did in Speaker for the Dead; create a single, very small colony for research purposes, with strict rules on what kind of interaction can occur.

• 7 years later...
(edited)

Oh, sweet summer child. There are no such things as planets to begin with. So, no need to worry about ever finding one with more primitive creatures. Besides, I don't think it gets any more primitive than human beings, already. Hahaha.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

16 hours ago, StarlightMirage said:

Leave them alone. We all know what happens when intervention occurs. 

You know better than that on what we do.... Of course we intervene, trick them, take advantage of them, and steal their resources:muffins:

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

You know better than that on what we do.... Of course we intervene, trick them, take advantage of them, and steal their resources:muffins:

Exactly what I stand against.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Ah yes my friend you do... But the question is  not what you would do but what mankind would do:derp:

Individually I couldn't do anything about it - so I saw no point in addressing it in that context.

• Brohoof 2