Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do if there's a huge spider/bug in your room?

Carbon Maestro

Dealing with giant spiders.  

213 users have voted

1. 1. A huge spider is in your room. Do you...

• Get a cup, trap it, then release it outside?
    • Swat it, then use a napkin to throw it away?
    • Throw water at it, then swat it?
    • Burn everything within a 4 meter radius.
    • Get someone else to get rid of it.
    • Catch it in a cup, and keep it as a pet.
    • Don't bother with it (Leave it alone).

• 3 weeks later...

I won't lie; while I'm not afraid of spiders big ones freak me out just the same. I try to catch some of them and release them, but if they're in a position where they might escape and launch themselves at my face I will use excessive violence.

I never kill anything, at least not on purpose (Don't remember when I last killed anything by accident) so that's out of the question. I don't like freeing it myself though, because I'm afraid I'm too rough and hurt it. Mostly I yell for a family member because derp. Snails I like and can free myself, cause they don't have legs. Mind, they're never in the house.

They don't live here, but locusts, grasshoppers, cicada-type bugs I HATE. :eww:  I would scream to the high heavens if I saw that. Then run to the high heavens, or the closest place to it.

I don't like locusts very much.  :please:

So yeah there's my stance on bugs because I know you were all dying to hear it.  >_>

• Brohoof 1

I usually ignore most bugs or spiders, if it's a wasp or dragonfly I'll open a door until it flies out on it's own. The one type of bug I will kill without hesitation is cockroaches; if I'm wearing shoes I'll usually stomp on one, use an entire roll of paper towels to toss it in the toilet, clean the toilet, and then wash the shoes I used to step of them as well as everything within a 5 foot radius of where they died.

I've got this fear of squished bugs for some reason, so if it's a large spider then I'll either trap it and put it outside or get someone else to kill it. If I can't manage to get it out of my room I'll usually sleep on the couch for a week, I don't hate spiders or anything but there's no way I'm sleeping with one

Edited by Mouse

I leave harmless spiders alone. Aggressive ones or ones that have harmful-to-humans venom I usually catch-and-release. I admit I've squished a couple when I first moved into my current house because for awhile they were seriously taking over the entire house. :( Like you could set something down for two seconds, pick it up, and a spider would run out from under it. I feel really bad about squishing them though. Luckily they moved back outside now that it's warmer.

I hope you don't mind but I couldn't help reading your post in a fluttershy voice. Just too cute! :) You really are a lot like her, I think.

Nasty ones like brown recluse spiders (very toxic, very dangerous, really bad), cockroaches, black widow spiders (dangerously venomous) will get smashed. Anything else like daddy-long-legs and other harmless spiders, harmless beetles will get caught in a glass and put outside.

Once we got a kangaroo rat in the house (I live in a part of the country where we have those.) I tried to catch it but couldn't because it was just too fast.

It wouldn't leave the house and I started worrying that it might starve to death so I started leaving little bits of food around for it. Then, I started leaving the patio door open for it while leaving trails of food that led to the door. You know that little bugger just wouldn't leave, even when it had the chance?

Well, long short was it got to a point where if I was sitting on the couch eating something this little bugger would come out from his hiding places and sit on the floor about ten feet away staring at me begging from me! Can you believe it? Well, finally, it got to a point where it would start getting up on the couch begging from me and, at one point, I was finally able to gently catch it in my hands and put the thing outside! It stuck around in the yard then disappeared for a while. About two weeks later, guess what? the dang thing was back in my house! LOL! Sheesh! Sometimes no matter what you do you just can't make something go away! LOL! It was never fully tame but I let it stay there until it died two years later. They don't live very long.

I have arachnophobia only if:

1.) It's a large, hairy, creepy spider like a tarantula that's actually in the room with me (at the zoo I get freaked out), or,

2.) If it's one of those close-up pictures of a spider's face.

If it's a small spider, I just let it crawl around next to me, like if it were my pet. But if it's a big one; (read with southern accent) get the shotgun, ma! I've got a spider to kill!

First, I would make some random sound and my heart would jump. Then, I would get the "bug catcher" and attempt to catch the bug with a piece of paper. Then, I would take it outside. My family has been saving bugs (except ticks and mosquitos) for years, and I've began to follow their footsteps.

• Brohoof 1

Squash it. I have no reservations about that. Although sometimes I feel guilty about my squeamishness because they really don't pose any threat to me.

Moths are even scarier. I once battled this huge moth with a rolled-up newspaper in the lobby of my workplace because it was going crazy and all efforts to let it out had failed. It took me 15 minutes to kill that thing.  :blink:

I always take them outside, unharmed and well.

"When we have every justification to kill, and we don't...that is power."

Wait one cotton pickin' minute, Missy. Why is killing bugs and especially killing spiders justified? They are tiny and fragile and aside from certain parasites and venomous bugs, they are helpless (heck, ever black widows and bullet ants are helpless compared to an enormous hulking and keenly intelligent tool-using human.)

There is no honour in killing something so pitifully weak; that we should not kill bugs for the sake of it goes without saying.

Wait one cotton pickin' minute, Missy. Why is killing bugs and especially killing spiders justified? They are tiny and fragile and aside from certain parasites and venomous bugs, they are helpless (heck, ever black widows and bullet ants are helpless compared to an enormous hulking and keenly intelligent tool-using human.)

There is no honour in killing something so pitifully weak; that we should not kill bugs for the sake of it goes without saying.

I don't think it's justified, that's why I don't do it. I was quoting a line from a movie.  :P

Cus some may feel that it's justified to kill something just because it looks scary.

Edited by RaveRatchet

I don't think it's justified, that's why I don't do it. I was quoting a line from a movie. :P

Cus some may feel that it's justified to kill something just because it looks scary.

Thanks for the clarification (which movie? I feel like I should know but I don't. XD)

• 3 weeks later...