Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else not like alcohol?

SolidTwilight

238 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like to drink alcohol

• I like to drink all the time!
    • I like to drink some times.
    • I only drink when every one else is also.
    • I don't really but do sometimes.
    • I don't like to at all
    • Don't know, never tried it.

Roller coasters, parachuting & skiing are about the physical effects generated by the body's own exposure to the stimului. The highs acquired form those events are natural.  They don't cause you to feel good by altering brain function via foreign chemicals. I'm just not comfortable with having a persons mind altered in that way. 

If you are capable of doing other things in life, then it shouldn't be too hard of enjoying yourself without the mind altering/ liver wrecking chemicals. I see people who drink or partake in other substances as those who can't feel the same highs as sober folk. Much like how some people need medicines like anti-depressants to feel happiness, drinkers need alcohol to get on a normal persons level. I think that's why some take to it so well, while those who reject drinking are those who don't need the help. 

Why should we have to stop doing something we enjoy? 

Alcohol can be produced naturally out in nature, and even animals eat fermented fruit to get drunk for fun.

If you think roller coasters aren't affecting your brain, you're very mistaken.

And actually, roller coasters are not at all natural.  They go through rigorous testing on animals that have to be put through the force of what the roller coaster does to your body.  That force is tested many many many times until the animals stop dying from it.  Roller coasters put your body through unnatural stress that is just barely smaller than what will kill you.  That's why there's a ton of warnings on them not to get on if you have any kind of heart problems and whatever else is on the list.  A drink of alcohol is not very likely to kill you.  Liver damage is caused by an extreme amount of alcohol.  

And I don't know why you wouldn't be comfortable that people are affected by alcohol, especially if they're not actually drunk.  Unless you mean an actual full on drunk person.

• Brohoof 1

I have had much experience over the years with alcohol. Now that I have come to some recent realizations, however, I must say — alcohol is nasty tasting :eww: beer is too bitter (alcohol-free beer is the same w/o the benefits of inebriation), and hard liquor tastes like lighter fluid. Vodka is disgusting, I hate rum now... I'll have a whiskey & Coke (rarely - just for social drinking) and no more beer.

Though I do love the feeling of numbness that comes with being drunk (and I do become way more sociable when I drink), the aftereffects aren't fun.

I don't usually drink since I don't like the taste of alcohol and spirits, also the smell is awful for me. I am however open to try and sip just to see how things taste for example I was at a party some weeks ago and a girl mixed a little bit beer and cola, which was (surprisingly) okay. 

Why should we have to stop doing something we enjoy? 

Alcohol can be produced naturally out in nature, and even animals eat fermented fruit to get drunk for fun.

If you think roller coasters aren't affecting your brain, you're very mistaken.

And actually, roller coasters are not at all natural.  They go through rigorous testing on animals that have to be put through the force of what the roller coaster does to your body.  That force is tested many many many times until the animals stop dying from it.  Roller coasters put your body through unnatural stress that is just barely smaller than what will kill you.  That's why there's a ton of warnings on them not to get on if you have any kind of heart problems and whatever else is on the list.  A drink of alcohol is not very likely to kill you.  Liver damage is caused by an extreme amount of alcohol.  

And I don't know why you wouldn't be comfortable that people are affected by alcohol, especially if they're not actually drunk.  Unless you mean an actual full on drunk person.

I do think roller coasters effect the brain, via adrenaline and endorphin rushes, produced by the body naturally. 

Even if animals get drunk in nature, they are still getting a buzz off of a foreign substance that isn't created by their own body's reaction to stimuli. Just because it occurs in nature doesn't mean it's natural for that animals physiology.  

If you are capable of doing other things in life, then it shouldn't be too hard of enjoying yourself without the mind altering/ liver wrecking chemicals. I see people who drink or partake in other substances as those who can't feel the same highs as sober folk. Much like how some people need medicines like anti-depressants to feel happiness, drinkers need alcohol to get on a normal persons level. I think that's why some take to it so well, while those who reject drinking are those who don't need the help. 

I do enjoy myself without alcohol, but I also enjoy myself with it. Moderate consumption (that includes getting drunk from time to time) won't cause liver cirrhosis/permanent heavy damage. Wine and beer also have shown more beneficiary effects that negatives one when taken reasonably. 

The fact that you compare social drinking to taking anti-depressant makes me shake my head.

(edited)

I don't drink a lot. It reacts with my medication and makes me very very sleepy. I pretty much only drink if I'm home and not driving anywhere or with friends and I'm not driving anywhere (and they have made a pact with me to cut me off after one drink no matter what I tell them.)

I hate beer but I love anything super fruity. Make me a good pina colada and I'll be your best friend. It's the burn of alcohol that makes me gag.

Personal reasons, I've seen alcohol destroy family members. I've gone to meetings for the friends and family of alcoholics and that changed my perception a lot. I know my family is predisposed to alcoholism so I try to be sparing.

Edited by Duster Dawnhorse

I do think roller coasters effect the brain, via adrenaline and endorphin rushes, produced by the body naturally. 

Even if animals get drunk in nature, they are still getting a buzz off of a foreign substance that isn't created by their own body's reaction to stimuli. Just because it occurs in nature doesn't mean it's natural for that animals physiology.  

Your body is also reacting how it naturally would when introduced to alcohol.  alcohol is the stimuli affecting you, just as a roller coaster is.  

I see people who drink or partake in other substances as those who can't feel the same highs as sober folk. Much like how some people need medicines like anti-depressants to feel happiness, drinkers need alcohol to get on a normal persons level. I think that's why some take to it so well, while those who reject drinking are those who don't need the help. 

You would be mistaken in your analysis. I go to plenty of parties sober, and leave those parties sober, and still have a great time. I don't need alcohol in any way, shape or form. I am fully capable of feeling the same natural highs as a regular person; I generally have a very happy, positive personality. When I drink, it simply changes the perspective through which I'm enjoying the party. If I were to give you a metaphor, getting drunk is like suddenly looking at the world as a reflection in a Hall Of Mirrors.

If you don't wish to partake in 'mind altering' substances, feel free to abstain. But there are plenty of people who do enjoy the occasional drink, and shouldn't be judged negatively for it. When consumed responsibly, alcohol has no negative long term effects.

Also, forgive me for sounding like a broken record here but; moderate consumption of red wine has health benefits. When I drink wine at home, the purpose is not to get drunk. I drink it because I enjoy the taste and because it's good for me.

Now that's where we differ. You believe it's the body producing chemicals in reaction to the alcohol that stimulate the brain, while I believe that the body isn't producing those chemicals, that it's the alcohol itself directly causing the buzz.

Now that's where we differ. You believe it's the body producing chemicals in reaction to the alcohol that stimulate the brain, while I believe that the body isn't producing those chemicals, that it's the alcohol itself directly causing the buzz.

Well unlike you, i don't just use what i think as fact, i use my college medical class facts as fact.  Alcohol makes your brain produce dopamine.  that is a chemical that your BODY produces in response.  

I like to drink on occasion but not extensively. Just enough to get me a friendly buzz. Though I can not stand anything hard. I have to have more fruit-flavored drinks like wine or malt liquour. I get drunk quick so it doesn't really take a lot. For instance, whenver I have wine it seems to just make me very, very happy and when around friends we just have a lot of good fun. Malt is better when I'm alone, I find myself more relaxed. But even so I only drink on rare occasions, I understand the hazzards of alcohol.

Well unlike you, i don't just use what i think as fact, i use my college medical class facts as fact.  Alcohol makes your brain produce dopamine.  that is a chemical that your BODY produces in response.  

Fine, admittedly I'm not a med student, but it still stands that the body isn't producing said dopamine reaction on it's own.  It still isn't a natural high set off by outside stimuli, but chemically triggered from within. 

Ah, ethanol. How I wish I could have you. I have an allergy to ethanol; it makes me feel horribly, violently ill nearly immediately, depending on the ABV of the drink. If I drink very slowly, I can have a low ABV beer.

I love beer. It does not love me.

sniffs

Fine, admittedly I'm not a med student, but it still stands that the body isn't producing said dopamine reaction on it's own.  It still isn't a natural high set off by outside stimuli, but chemically triggered from within. 

um, yes it is producing it on it's own.  alcohol does not create dopamine, dopamine is released in response to alcohol. 

um, yes it is producing it on it's own.  alcohol does not create dopamine, dopamine is released in response to alcohol. 

That's what I meant. The body isn't triggering the dopamine reaction on it's own, it's the alcohol. 

That's what I meant. The body isn't triggering the dopamine reaction on it's own, it's the alcohol. 

Well it's not just randomly deciding to produce adrenaline either, the roller coaster is doing it.

Right, the roller coaster is doing it. But the body itself is producing the adrenaline on it's own while the alcohol is, in a way, pushing the button that causes the dopamine release from within.

Brain reacts and triggers adrenaline rush from the body. Alcohol triggers dopamine rush. One is set off by bodily function. The other is started by chemical intake. 

Right, the roller coaster is doing it. But the body itself is producing the adrenaline on it's own while the alcohol is, in a way, pushing the button that causes the dopamine release from within.

Brain reacts and triggers adrenaline rush from the body. Alcohol triggers dopamine rush. One is set off by bodily function. The other is started by chemical intake. 

You're not understanding.  The g-force from the roller coaster triggers your body to produce the chemicals.  The alcohol triggers for the other chemicals.  It's really the same thing, just different stimuli.  I don't know how to explain this any simpler.

I don't drink, nor have I wanted to, but I'm not against it, just something that hasn't really appealed to me yet. The only thing I really drink in general is water, and I've just always been comfortable with that. It's certainly a lot healthier.

(edited)

Well it's not just randomly deciding to produce adrenaline either, the roller coaster is doing it.

From outside the body. it isn't physically going inside the brain and hitting the neural pathway that triggers adrenaline. The mind reacts,  orders the brain, brain triggers adrenaline response. 

Alcohol however does physically trigger dopamine release, with or without input from the mind. 

You're not understanding.  The g-force from the roller coaster triggers your body to produce the chemicals.  The alcohol triggers for the other chemicals.  It's really the same thing, just different stimuli.  I don't know how to explain this any simpler.

G-force is still an outside force causing the mind to act form within and order the brain. Alcohol skips this and automatically triggers dopamine from within the body. 
Edited by Denim&Venom

(edited)

From outside the body. it isn't physically going inside the brain and hitting the neural pathway that triggers adrenaline. The mind reacts,  orders the brain, brain triggers adrenaline response. 

Alcohol however does physically trigger dopamine release, with or without input from the mind. 

G-force is still an outside force causing the mind to act form within and order the brain. Alcohol skips this and automatically triggers dopamine from within the body. 

the roller coaster is physically smashing your body between a chunk of metal and increased gravity.  that is directly affecting your body, and your brain is reacting to both that and the fear.  it has nothing to do with your mind.

They are both physically triggering responses.  alcohol does not skip anything.  XD I think you should take a health class before you try saying things like this.

Edited by ScumCandy