Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else not like alcohol?

SolidTwilight

238 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like to drink alcohol

• I like to drink all the time!
    • I like to drink some times.
    • I only drink when every one else is also.
    • I don't really but do sometimes.
    • I don't like to at all
    • Don't know, never tried it.

(edited)

I don't see any reason whatsoever to drink alcoholic drinks. Beer is disgusting. It looks like and even (IIRC) smells a little bit like urine. So I'd assume it tastes like it as well. I couldn't get very far into a beer. It felt like I was just drinking acid. It did not feel good.

As for the other drinks, I only had a taste of one (a fruity one, of which the name I do not remember), and it didn't do anything for me either. In fact, it activated my gag reflex. ...Yeah.

Either way, it's not a taste worth acquiring. I already have enough bad-for-me drinks in my diet (Coke/Pepsi), and if I wanted something fruity... There is always juice.

Edited by Envy

the roller coaster is physically smashing your body between a chunk of metal and increased gravity.  that is directly affecting your body, and your brain is reacting to both that and the fear.  it has nothing to do with your mind.

They are both physically triggering responses.  alcohol does not skip anything.  XD I think you should take a health class before you try saying things like this.

This is another point we differ on. You're thinking the G-force effects on the brain are purely physiological. I'm saying they are partially psychological, that the minds reaction is helping to spur this production of adrenaline. Cause I'm certain that people who have been on rollercoasters enough or lack a fear response mechanism in their brain will ride a rollercoaster and not receive as much of an adrenaline boost. 

I have taken health classes, though with the convoluted curriculum that passes for education, I wouldn't be surprised if this topic was left out. 

I can't stand beer, it seems to be pretty bitter. Wine I don't mind, and can even enjoy. I've also had rum before (it was made in Peru), and I thought it was decent. Overall, I'm not into alcohol, but I'll drink it during some special occasion.

(edited)

To me it tastes kind of like I'm drinking out of a can of gasoline. I once mistook vodka for water, because they have a similar clear color.

It tastes nasty and it causes people to change in a negative way, so I don't plan to do it at any time.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

This is another point we differ on. You're thinking the G-force effects on the brain are purely physiological. I'm saying they are partially psychological, that the minds reaction is helping to spur this production of adrenaline. Cause I'm certain that people who have been on rollercoasters enough or lack a fear response mechanism in their brain will ride a rollercoaster and not receive as much of an adrenaline boost. 

I have taken health classes, though with the convoluted curriculum that passes for education, I wouldn't be surprised if this topic was left out. 

I wish you would stop saying what 'i think', because you are very very wrong.  I even said in the post you quoted that it's from the physical stress AND fear.

On a roller coaster, all of your organs get shaken around and smashed.  That is pretty physical.

And I don't mean high school health classes, I mean one that goes in depth of how different substances affect your body.

I wish you would stop saying what 'i think', because you are very very wrong.  I even said in the post you quoted that it's from the physical stress AND fear.

On a roller coaster, all of your organs get shaken around and smashed.  That is pretty physical.

And I don't mean high school health classes, I mean one that goes in depth of how different substances affect your body.

Fine missed that part. Btu in that same post you said it has nothing to do with the mind. Fear has a heck of a lot to do with the mind. But yes, you are right, it is physical and psychological responses. While alcohol is just physical.  

And I'm not telling you how to think, I'm telling my interpretation of your POV based on what you presented. 

And I'm not quite sure if that course is offered at my college.

Fine missed that part. Btu in that same post you said it has nothing to do with the mind. Fear has a heck of a lot to do with the mind. But yes, you are right, it is physical and psychological responses. While alcohol is just physical.  

And I'm not telling you how to think, I'm telling my interpretation of your POV based on what you presented. 

And I'm not quite sure if that course is offered at my college.

So how is physical and psychological damage better than just physical effects?

@@Denim&Venom

As a person who adores roller coasters and is not scared of them at all, yes I do get a massive adrenaline rush which has nothing to do with psychological fear. (Since I'm not afraid.) It's purely physical. The free fall rush, the g-forces, all of these produce a massive adrenaline rush and I come off the ride shaking in pure exhilaration. It's got nothing to do with my brain. It's induced by the physical stresses of the roller coaster.

Drinking alcohol for fun is absolutely no different, the physical reaction simply triggers different chemicals.

ScumCandy is obviously very well studied on this topic.

And again, moderate alcohol consumption has proven health benefits.

(edited)

So how is physical and psychological damage better than just physical effects?

Where are you getting Psychological damage? That indicates mental trauma. If that is caused by a rollercoster then yeah, it would be worse, but most people aren't traumatized by thrill rides. Physical damage is a problem too, but most safe and certified rollercoasters don't cause lasting damage. But the odds of getting liver damage are higher than injuries or psychological trauma from a thrill ride. 

But if you mean physical and psychological effects, the ones caused by G-force and mental reactions, then yes, I do view those as safer, as those don't involve the intake of a substance. Also rollercoasters don't or shouldn't effect perception, judgement and sense of balance

@@Denim&Venom

As a person who adores roller coasters and is not scared of them at all, yes I do get a massive adrenaline rush which has nothing to do with psychological fear. (Since I'm not afraid.) It's purely physical. The free fall rush, the g-forces, all of these produce a massive adrenaline rush and I come off the ride shaking in pure exhilaration. It's got nothing to do with my brain. It's induced by the physical stresses of the roller coaster.

Drinking alcohol for fun is absolutely no different, the physical reaction simply triggers different chemicals.

ScumCandy is obviously very well studied on this topic.

And again, moderate alcohol consumption has proven health benefits.

Fear is only one reaction from the mind. While there are reactions form the physical stresses, your mind also reacts to the sensation and causes you body to act accordingly. You may not be afraid but you are psychologically reacting to the ride and your body is partially dictated by those reactions. 

And while moderate consumption has benefits, I still don't see how one can be responsible and take alcohol in moderation when that very substance is effecting your thought. How can you know when enough is enough, when your own perception and judgement are being effected? 

I mean I suppose you can just go by just the amount, say one glass and one glass only, and compelled ignore the amount required for a buzz.  I suppose I can respect that a bit more as you are taking it for the health benefits and not to alter the way you think and behave.

Edited by Denim&Venom

(edited)

Where are you getting Psychological damage? That indicates mental trauma. If that is caused by a rollercoster then yeah, it would be worse, but most people aren't traumatized by thrill rides. Physical damage is a problem too, but most safe and certified rollercoasters don't cause lasting damage. But the odds of getting liver damage are higher than injuries or psychological trauma from a thrill ride. 

But if you mean physical and psychological effects, the ones caused by G-force and mental reactions, then yes, I do view those as safer, as those don't involve the intake of a substance. Also rollercoasters don't or shouldn't effect perception, judgement and sense of balance

And while moderate consumption has benefits, I still don't see how one can be responsible and take alcohol in moderation when that very substance is effecting your thought. How can you know when enough is enough, when your own perception and judgement are being effected? 

actually, roller coasters do affect perception and balance.  they design the coasters in a way that tricks your mind into thinking you're out of control and going to crash into other parts of the ride.  that's why it's less scary if you close your eyes, because you won't be experiencing that major part of the ride.  as for balance, have you tried standing up and walking straight after getting off the ride?  And people die on roller coasters all the time.  if you have any health problems, your risk is much higher.

You don't seem to have ever tried alcohol.  It does not just magically affect your thoughts.  It slows down your response time when you actually get a buzz or drunk.  A sip or even just a glass for most people will not in any way affect their thoughts or judgement.  You yourself choose how much to have.  If you feel like you have your little tingle, then you can stop there.  If you choose to experience what lies beyond that, then you can make that decision to continue drinking.  You can also slow down the effects by eating or drinking water inbetween each time you take a drink.

Edited by ScumCandy
  • Brohoof 1

I mean I suppose you can just go by just the amount, say one glass and one glass only, and compelled ignore the amount required for a buzz.  I suppose I can respect that a bit more as you are taking it for the health benefits and not to alter the way you think and behave.

Well, most people are able to judge even with alcohol in their body when they had enough. Don't base your judgement on 16 years old kid that drink cheap vodka because that's all they could steal from their parents.

Mature people rarely overdrink, unless they have an alcohol problem, but then it's another debate. I mean, you can get trashed once in a while, but if you do it all the time...

I believe you have an exaggerated impression on how alcohol affect a person.

• Brohoof 1

Fear is only one reaction from the mind. While there are reactions form the physical stresses, your mind also reacts to the sensation and causes you body to act accordingly. You may not be afraid but you are psychologically reacting to the ride and your body is partially dictated by those reactions.

You also psychologically react to alcohol. Humans psychologically react to everything. Ever heard of the placebo effect? Give someone a non-alcoholic drink, tell them it has vodka in it, and watch as they start to 'think' that they're drunk.

What we were talking about was physical reactions in response to stimuli, which is the same regardless of whether that stimuli is externally applied or internally imbibed.

You've never drunk an alcoholic drink, have you?

I guarantee, people can absolutely tell when to stop. If you've never actually experienced it, don't make assumptions as to how and what exactly it does to the mind. It doesn't addle you nearly as much as you're assuming it does. (Unless you're deliberately trying to get plastered.)For me, it's as simple as not drinking more than two glasses of wine. If I'm drinking something else - say, apple cider - I just gauge how I'm feeling. The moment I experience that slightly fuzzy mental feeling which comes with being tipsy, I stop. It's easy.

Spirits are harder for me to judge. They can do nothing for ages, then come along and hit me like a steam locomotive. Subsequently, I don't drink much spirits. (When I do have cocktails, I limit myself to no more than two. Numbers are a safer bet than feelings, where spirits are concerned.)

I don't immediately turn into a slavering moron the moment alcohol touches my lips.

• Brohoof 1

I have never had alcohol, so it is quite difficult for me to judge. That's largely because of my upbringing; you could say.

I won't predict what I will and will not do in the future, though. A good friend of mine drinks responsibly; which prove that it can be done.

I only like certain types of alcohol, at certain times, and in small amounts ( I have a bit of a weak stomach so I have to be rather cautious about certain food/drinks period ). If I'm offered a nice wine ( I like a nice Bordeaux or Riesling for example ) , or Hot Sake, or something like that I'll have some. But I only drink something if to be polite, or I will/might like it ( like any other beverage pretty much honestly ). And free samples from swanky grocery stores are always good ( they often have cheese samples lurking around too, which helps as well :P  ). 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, alcohol is ok for me. Look at the ponies- they drink cider and punch. But everything must be aptly. Even in companies of alcoholics I had never been drunk and I can’t get- why some people like to get drunk beyond measure. By my own experience, alcohol don’t set anything right.

Edited by Alia

Am 23 and would never drink alcohol, period. No offense, but it takes away your alertness, and not being able to think straight at all. I prefer Pepsi Max, which guarantees no health problems for me at all.

I got a high tolerance for alcohol, and my favorite flavor is bitter, but I don't usually drink more than a beer or two with friends. Sometimes when i go to events i drink champagne, whiskey or vodka but i do these things rarely. Sometimes i also share a beer with some workmates (because work can be soo boring!), but that's about it.

I want to get drunk for once. just for experience. i don't think alcohol taste good but I don't think that alcoholic drinks are all about the taste. but it shouldn't taste horrible.

I don't drink because I hate the taste of alcohol. Sometimes when I drink cider I drink alcohol, but that's just low % alcohol in that case, like 3% or something. Or when I drink mulled wine, but I don't do that too often. Otherwise I never drink alcohol.

I don't honestly care. If I like something I'm going to do it and I'm not going to be immature. 

But if you want, I know some pretty talented surgeons that could remove that stick from your arse :)  

The fact that you are 17 and still acting this way is sad really and before you diss social drinkers how about you be mature? Tip of the hat to you sir! 

I do not like alcohol. It's disgusting in taste and make me really dehydrated. Yet, I do not mind having a social drink with friends around a campfire, although due to the monotonousness of talking and taking a swig, I have gotten buzzed enough to know that I do not like getting drunk either (the world seems slower and I cannot remember the sentence I may have just said).

Sometimes though, when I am in pain, I drown myself in it because I would rather be sickly drunk than feel what I feel inside. This has only happened 9 times since I was 18 (i'm 23 now)...If you understood what I've gone through, you'd be surprised that I am not an alcoholic or a druggie. It's an easy quick fix to my pain because it's a distraction, and usually after sleeping it off, I do feel better in the morning (ironically, I do not get hangovers), and I am able to keep my pain under control once again and do what I can to live a normal life.