Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old is a young couple?

RainbowMau

Depends on the age of the person observing a young couple. I'm 37 so anyone in their teens and new adults come to mind. For someone in their 70's it may be different

• Brohoof 1

A young couple is anyone still of school age, whether it be regular school (high school) or post secondary education, which encompasses ages 18-26. Anyone in their later 20's are not considered young couples because between 27-mid 30's is the average time when people have their life careers established, get married, buy homes, have kids, and settle down. To see a couple younger than 25 achieving all that is extremely uncommon, because for most, it's financially unfeasible to settle down, especially if you are in college or are of college age.

I am coming at this from a marriage standpoint, because I do not consider 2 people a couple until they are married. I am not being discriminatory to those who are very close, but being married myself (I am 23, have been married over 3 years), it aggravates me how very few people believe I am married and have been married quite a while now and am HAPPY. Everyone assumes we will divorce, because we are a young couple. We defy the cultural norm, which is why I do not generalize.

(edited)

Why do you care?

It really is a honest question.

Because of what @@Treble Bolt answered! Do you think it doesn't affect me???

A young couple is anyone still of school age, whether it be regular school (high school) or post secondary education, which encompasses ages 18-26. Anyone in their later 20's are not considered young couples because between 27-mid 30's is the average time when people have their life careers established, get married, buy homes, have kids, and settle down. To see a couple younger than 25 achieving all that is extremely uncommon, because for most, it's financially unfeasible to settle down, especially if you are in college or are of college age.

Are you telling me that I'll never be in a young couple even when at this age I'm not married, I have no kids, I don't have my own home and I haven't settled down?

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why do you care?

It really is a honest question.

Based on a similar topic they created before, they don't like the idea of being part of an "old couple" since they never got to experience young love. Personally I think they're romanticizing the cultural stereotype of what young love is and would be better served just finding someone they like and that makes them happy.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 3

well it depends on what you mean by young. Are you referring to the age of the couple? If so then a young couple would be a pair that has only been together 1-4 years. However if you are referring to the age of the participants in the couple, then a "young" couple would be a couple of young people. Mainly 16-21. Any younger than that and most don't consider it a "couple" and at 21 you are considered a full legal adult.

Because of what @@Treble Bolt answered! Do you think it doesn't affect me???

Are you telling me that I'll never be in a young couple? Even when at this age I'm not married, I have no kids, I don't have my own home and I haven't settled down?

My personal definition of a young couple is a couple who is married. I just stated that everything involving marriage (kids, home ownership, settling down in general) is part of why people are not getting married during the college aged years that would define a young couple (18-26). There are many married couples who fall in that age group that aren't settled down (we don't have kids, and I am actually going back to school, although luckily, we outright own our house). It's all about money and maturity. I earlier stated the monetary issue of marriage at a young age. But maturity is actually the biggest deal in my opinion when it comes to being a young couple. 

You may be in a healthy, stable relationship now, but unless you are married, that relationship could end tomorrow. Not that marriage is a surefire way to prevent that, but being married involves a very deep level of commitment that makes you a true couple. Many people are not prepared for that kind of commitment, that's why so many young marriages end in failure (divorce). Hence, why I pointed out that my husband and I are not part of the societal norm. We are expected to fail, just as all young couples are from the western cultural standpoint. Many young people are not mature enough to handle the stress, unfulfillment, disappointment, and most importantly, selflessness that comes with being married. Now I'm coming at this from a cultural context. Most couples expect their counterpart to fulfil a want (not a need), hence selfishness, greed, manipulation, and all the other problems you hear about that cause divorces. Yes, being married is stressful, but if you come into it with a mature attitude, and learn to be utterly selfless in your relationship, it is not only fulfilling to the utmost, but very joyful and i don't know exactly how to explain it actually. I can't say I was overly mature in my initial decision to marry him, but I've been through enough in my life, that I made a very drastic perspective change within the first 6 months after we got married. Anyways, I'm rambling.

Overall, being a young couple is being a married couple between 16-26 (don't know if you can marry that young, but I won't count them out), everything else is the result of being married that is more commonly seen in the 27-mid 30's age range. So to answer your question, if you are not married, you are not a young couple.

Overall, being a young couple is being a married couple between 16-26 (don't know if you can marry that young, but I won't count them out), everything else is the result of being married that is more commonly seen in the 27-mid 30's age range. So to answer your question, if you are not married, you are not a young couple.

Ah, you were talking about married couples? Sorry, I didn't read well.

Ah, you were talking about married couples? Sorry, I didn't read well.

It's okay :P I ramble a lot in many posts....

A married couple between 16-26 = a Young couple....

that's all I should've said :blush:

I disagree that you have to be married to be considered a couple. There are plenty of people who don't subscribe to the institution of marriage that I wouldn't hesitate to call a "couple", though at that point it's pretty much semantics.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Based on a similar topic they created before, they don't like the idea of being part of an "old couple" since they never got to experience young love. Personally I think they're romanticizing the cultural stereotype of what young love is and would be better served just finding someone they like and that makes them happy.

Oh I see. But that doesn't make much sense. Young love isn't better than an old love, and vice versa.

It really doesn't matter if you have or haven't experienced 'young' love.

As long as the love is sincere and makes you happy, that's all that matters :)

Edited by Pinklady
  • Brohoof 1

Surely the easiest easy to fix the issue for them is to just go out and date with people and find people on-line or something?

Maybe I'm simplifying things to much :/

It's all relative, really. @Jeric's example is a good one.

Personally I think they're romanticizing the cultural stereotype of what young love is and would be better served just finding someone they like and that makes them happy.

And @RainbowMau, please read and consider this before you make another topic about "the joys of young love".

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...