Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejack and Rarity having the same birthday

Visual Spectrum

We really don't know when either of their birthday is. We do know they are almost opposites, though. So  finding a common ground while still being able to have fun would be a great theme for an episode. 

Pinkie Pie needs to plan the birthday party of not one, but two of her friends, Applejack and Rarity. Those two ponies are almost opposites, so there is some problems with planning the party. Applejack wants a country theme, and Rarity wants a high class theme. (Or something along those lines.) They can't agree on the theme. Pinkie Pie helps them find a common ground, and they have a really fun birthday party together.

What would your opinions on an episode like this be? 

• Brohoof 6

That's actually an interesting idea; i could see that happening in the show, although i'd like to believe they won't let something like a party theme get in the way of their friendship. 

• Brohoof 4

I'm always down for a good Rarity and Applejack episode, and that actually sounds like an interesting coincidence to have :D I think it'd have the potential to tie-into canon easily as well was further develop what I consider to be the estimate friendship in the show. 

I dig it :D

• Brohoof 2

I'd actually really like this as a Pinkie Pie focus episode more than a Rarity/Applejack one.

She learnt in Too Many Pinkie Pies that she can't be everything for everypony... so where do you get the balance on a day as special as a B-day? Maybe she'd try splitting the party in half at first and then AJ and Rarity would get all territorial and it wouldn't work out at all. Fun times!

• Brohoof 2

That sounds like a good idea, but 2 friends having the same birthday seems a bit forced/artificial...(the odds are 1/365...)

Edited by Blobulle

To me, Rarity and AJ are both hard workers, but they focus that energy into other things. Rarity is passionate about dress making; when she gets in the groove of making them, she doesn't want to stop because it doesn't feels like work to her. If she liked doing farm work, I'm sure she'd be just as hard a worker as AJ, maybe a little less but still up there.

What if they both had somewhat distant relatives who were also complete opposites? AJ is all ready related to fancy ponies, why not make Rarity related to somepony who fell in love with the country life?

• Brohoof 1

To me, Rarity and AJ are both hard workers, but they focus that energy into other things. Rarity is passionate about dress making; when she gets in the groove of making them, she doesn't want to stop because it doesn't feels like work to her. If she liked doing farm work, I'm sure she'd be just as hard a worker as AJ, maybe a little less but still up there.

What if they both had somewhat distant relatives who were also complete opposites? AJ is all ready related to fancy ponies, why not make Rarity related to somepony who fell in love with the country life?

It is already a headcanon of mine that Rarity is part Earth Pony, mainly on her father's side.

Rarity could be related to Applejack. That would mean she would be related to Pinkie Pie, too..

My headcanon separates the ponies from pure breds and mix breds.

Pure:

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash

Mix:

Rarity: Unicorn/Earth Pony

Pinkie Pie: Earth Pony/Pegasus

Fluttershy: Pegasus/Unicorn

This isn't a headcanon thread, so anyways...

They could very well be related. 

It'd make for a good story without a doubt, but I've heard this concept before. While this show put a slight twist on what you're presenting, one of "Liv & Maddie's" episodes (don't ask why I know about this) had the titular characters throwing their birthday parties on the same day. Being that these characters are twins, the circumstance makes sense, but the conflict was exactly the same as this. Liv wanted a classy, red-carpet theme while Maddie wanted to have a hoedown. So, the resolve for this was that they make the party a "red-carpet hoedown" and they all ended up having a great time. The story didn't stop there, but my point still stands as this would ultimately be what this show would do. I feel like the story has been done before "Liv & Maddie" as well, but this was the first example that came to mind. Again, the story is good as it provides contrast between two characters and throws a third between them. However, it would also make the concept cliché, and I have big problems with overdone stories. 

I'm sorry but these two have to share everything together?

I'm with Stellafera on this one in that it sounds better as a Pinkie Pie story, though I can't help think that I think the show has done something like this before

• Brohoof 1

Interesting idea, though in truth, while Applejack and Rarity do have a lot of differences, they have a lot of similarities as well, which I suspect is why they're friends. They're both business owners, both like musicals, both appreciate vintage items, and so on. But enough of their tastes are different that trying to plan a party for both of them would definitely be an exercise in compromise.

Well, considering their age, wouldn't such an idea be somewhat forced? I mean, they have lived long enough together in the same town to know whether or not it would actually work or not.

Well, considering their age, wouldn't such an idea be somewhat forced? I mean, they have lived long enough together in the same town to know whether or not it would actually work or not.

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe instead, it turns out Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's birthdays are the same day/really close together, so their big sisters decide to throw one birthday party for both of them, but then Applejack and Rarity can't agree on where the party is going to be, who's going to host it, and all that jazz. Not sure what the moral would be though.

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe instead, it turns out Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's birthdays are the same day/really close together, so their big sisters decide to throw one birthday party for both of them, but then Applejack and Rarity can't agree on where the party is going to be, who's going to host it, and all that jazz. Not sure what the moral would be though.

Ah, clever! It would be a nice lesson for both Rarity & AJ, as well as Sweetie Belle & Apple Bloom. If we're gonna do such an idea, I think this would be the best way to pull it off. :)

• 11 months later...

I cover this more in the thread "How old are the Mane 6" but IMO, AJ is several years older than the others.  Still, I was born on Martin Luther King's birthday, but not the same year.  So, it could work.  I remember an episode of Arthur where Muffy Crosswire was celebrating her birthday the same day as one of the others (It's been awhile, ICR which one)