Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do older bronies creep you out?

Lato

95 users have voted

1. 1. Do they creep you out?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends on the first impression

Nah, not really, well to be honest, if it's a 40 year old dude that lives in their old mothers basement then that is always a possibility that it may be a bit...odd, but as long as they aren't hurting nothing then I am fine with it, in other rods, live and let live! ^_^

That might be a lot of us in the coming years(minus the basement and mooching parts) with the way the economy is going to shit XD. 

The amount of people that never get a chance to move away from home(or had to move back when it all went to hell) is already sky-rocketing to the point that stereotype is almost discredited. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

That might be a lot of us in the coming years(minus the basement and mooching parts) with the way the economy is going to shit XD. 

The amount of people that never get a chance to move away from home(or had to move back when it all went to hell) is already sky-rocketing to the point that stereotype is almost discredited. 

Yea, didn't think this one out to well, and I know EXACTLY what you mean!

• Brohoof 1

Yay for these responses! I found this thread had a surprising amount of dread for me just sitting there before I opened it. I appreciate the open minded or logical approach many have communicated here.

I hear ya.  When I looked at the title, I thought everyony was going to be talking about, like, 70+ year old bronies.  :lol:   Then I get in here and see that apparently being over 20 makes you old!  I'm 29, and suddenly I'm old?  I don't feel old.  But I was very pleased to see that no one cares about age, and that being creepy makes a person creepy, not being a fan of MLP or anything else.  But then again, this community almost always impresses me with their open-mindedness, so I shouldn't be surprised.  :)

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 3

I don't base wether or not someone "creeps me out" based on age. If they're older and like MLP, cool! In fact, some of the older bronies are really quite nice and peaceful minded people.

Being 35, can't say I'm creeped out about myself :P  

I do get worried that if I was to try to go to a brony hangout where most folks were under 18 that I would creep them out (especially their parents).  Which is weird cause I'm a trekkie, a gamer, and just an all around general nerd/geek.  If the hangout was about just about any other topic I wouldn't feel any worry.  The comments so far in this thread give me hope that I wouldn't automatically be seen as creepy if I happen to be the oldest Brony in the room. :)

Most of the bronies I know are within my own age group, but I have absolutely no problem with anyone older liking it. They have just as much right to enjoy it as we do. After all, majority of us here are older than the target audience anyway. I just don't see any difference personally. 

I mean come on! What do we all have to say about John De Lancie?  :umad:

I can't say that I have. I don't really talk to older people that much, anyways. It really depends on the first impression though.

What I can say is that younger "bronies" have seemed to take over Instagram. Its quite annoying really. The amount of 8-12 year olds representing our fandom on social media is quite disturbing. I've seen children publicly RP clop on Instagram. This is unacceptable in my opinion. Numerous amounts of hate on accounts like this lead them to post things that include but are not limited to the following: "I'm going to kill myself," "I cut because of you all" "I get bullied because I'm a brony and so I want to die". Not only is this not good for them, its making our fandom look like trash. I rarely follow any fandom accounts because of things like this. Not trying to descrrminate younger folks, but please try not to make us all look like idiots, and please don't let the haters get you down. Ok I've gone a bit off topic here sorry! 

• Brohoof 1

As an older Brony myself (well, 32... not that old :) older than average in the fandom) I'm relieved to see the results so far :)

I try to avoid being creepy around younger fans or anything like that.  I'm quite paranoid about it - I wear pony stuff out and about but get really embarrassed if the target audience is around and try to steer clear.

Case in point I went to see Rainbow Rocks at the cinema at the weekend, I was petrified it'd just be me sat there with a bunch of 7 year old girls.  I was very relieved to hear "hey, get over here!" from another group of Bronies, and very glad to finally meet some local ones too!

Only, when I was sat with them and we were making conversation in then got to "so which school do you go to?" and I got to say "actually, I work.." and it became apparent that they're teenagers (I'd guess around 15-17.. I'm not great at judging age).  I know I look young as I get ID checked constantly, so maybe they didn't realise... or were being polite :)

So whilst it was lovely to meet some other local Bronies, when it came to them wanting to exchange contact details and potentially do some local meets I was a bit cagey. I gave them a username to look out for online (this one in fact!) but didn't take any details myself as I'd just feel too creepy accepting direct contact details from under-18s (potentially under-16s too) at my age.  It's not even about "that", I want to make friends, the more the merrier but yeah.  I think that is maybe crossing the line... I wouldn't judge someone else for it though, just myself.

Sad though.  It'd have been nice to get to know some potential local Brony friends.  But those are the lengths I go to to avoid being creepy ^^;;

• Brohoof 1

As an older Brony myself (well, 32... not that old :) older than average in the fandom) I'm relieved to see the results so far :)

I try to avoid being creepy around younger fans or anything like that.  I'm quite paranoid about it - I wear pony stuff out and about but get really embarrassed if the target audience is around and try to steer clear.

Case in point I went to see Rainbow Rocks at the cinema at the weekend, I was petrified it'd just be me sat there with a bunch of 7 year old girls.  I was very relieved to hear "hey, get over here!" from another group of Bronies, and very glad to finally meet some local ones too!

Only, when I was sat with them and we were making conversation in then got to "so which school do you go to?" and I got to say "actually, I work.." and it became apparent that they're teenagers (I'd guess around 15-17.. I'm not great at judging age).  I know I look young as I get ID checked constantly, so maybe they didn't realise... or were being polite :)

So whilst it was lovely to meet some other local Bronies, when it came to them wanting to exchange contact details and potentially do some local meets I was a bit cagey. I gave them a username to look out for online (this one in fact!) but didn't take any details myself as I'd just feel too creepy accepting direct contact details from under-18s (potentially under-16s too) at my age.  It's not even about "that", I want to make friends, the more the merrier but yeah.  I think that is maybe crossing the line... I wouldn't judge someone else for it though, just myself.

Sad though.  It'd have been nice to get to know some potential local Brony friends.  But those are the lengths I go to to avoid being creepy ^^;;

While I'm a grey mane, if I'm wearing a hat I can still occasionally get carded for R movies, and I'm always carded for beer if my grey is not showing. I suck at judging ages too. 

So I understand what your going through.  People not familiar with the fandom could get the wrong idea, so I definitely avoid the target audience as well.  I wouldn't mind teenagers as long as I wasn't the only adult fan in the room.    Been hoping to meet some 21+ Bronies so we could discuss the show over a real Hard Cider  :muffins:  B)

• Brohoof 1

As being an older Brony myself I'm happy to see the the general consensus is "no" it's good to see that love and tolerance is still around. Every fandom is gonna have it's creeps and being creepy has no age

• Brohoof 2

Well the title says it all really.

I don't usually get crept out by older bronies because I don't talk to them.

But once I was using G+ and this guy joined my public hangout and he looked 40 years old, and he had messy hair and just looked gross all together. So, that's only when I've actually been crept out by an older brony. I don't talk to people who are like over 20 years old anyway, I try to keep within my age group.

Hmm. So it's not an issue about older guys liking "girl-oriented" cartoons because no one would be here obviously. It's more of the appearance, eh? I guess if you put it that way, it's kinda creepy. I'm 30 and Asian so I didn't have that kind of problem anywhere. People thought I'm on my early 20s, maybe even late teens. I'm not all into fashion but I can say I'm well put together. My wife dresses me.  ^_^  Gotta match her getup, I guess.

While I'm a grey mane, if I'm wearing a hat I can still occasionally get carded for R movies, and I'm always carded for beer if my grey is not showing. I suck at judging ages too. 

So I understand what your going through.  People not familiar with the fandom could get the wrong idea, so I definitely avoid the target audience as well.  I wouldn't mind teenagers as long as I wasn't the only adult fan in the room.    Been hoping to meet some 21+ Bronies so we could discuss the show over a real Hard Cider  :muffins:  B)

Got to admit, the alcohol limit is 18 here and it bugs me a bit that I didn't think to say "here's my email, but contact me when you're 18 so we can go for some beers" - I've gone drinking with Bronies when I went to the BUCK con but that's a rare event - and it was awesome.  I'd love to add some Bronies to my circle of local regular drinking buddies :D  (But yeah I'm still not sure it wouldn't have crossed the creepy line giving a direct email.  Just that it's one of those issues that resolves itself over time)

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa...

Don't mind me. Just wandering through.

I'm aware of three active posters on this forum older than I, and I have not yet found them creepy. There's probably a couple more here who haven't made themselves known to me, but I doubt they'd be any more creepy.

• Brohoof 3

I'm aware of three active posters on this forum older than I, and I have not yet found them creepy. There's probably a couple more here who haven't made themselves known to me, but I doubt they'd be any more creepy.

I must not be doing it right then lol

There are plenty of other "oddities" within this fandom that are by far more creepy then us brony elders.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know any older bronies personally but no I don't think they would creep me out. They have every right to like a quality television show.

I'm gonna be an old man one day, hopefully people won't think I'm creepy.  :P

Heh, I was wondering when you would find this thread. :)

You know what, I didn't know we had as many 30 something's here as we do. After the first month or so on this forum I thought I might be on the far end of the spectrum until I met Fhao and Wingnut.

I have always been impressed with the quality of the conversation here. When I learned many of my favorite contributors were in their teens and early twenties, I felt that my view that youth =/= maturity was firmly justified.

Confirmation bias CAN be a good thing.

:D

• Brohoof 4