Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgetting that Rainbow Dash is female

Tetrakemy

Not with Rainbow,but actully with scootaloo. I don't know why but sometimes I forget it. On other hand, our brain is programed from the beginning (or at least when you are very small) to think in gender roles. That's why you need to think before you say anything stupid(talking about myself)

• Brohoof 3

I'll be honest and unashamed to say I thought she was a dude at first

And I know its the whole "tomboyish" approach to the character (not saying anythings wrong with that) but sometimes they go a bit overboard with it. imho

Not that the thought lasted long nor did I care.

I was too busy trying to find out more about the fabulous little white unicorn to take any interest in the multi colored fly girl

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

I've always identified RD as female, even before FIM. From a visual perspective, I never noticed a significant differentiation between RD and the rest of the Mane 6 when I first encountered MLP merch.

Did none of you see the eyelashes? :P I have never once thought that RD was anything other than the awesome, gender stereotype-destroying lady-girl horse that she is.

• Brohoof 3

I can see how some new to the show may make that mistake. Myself, I looked into the show before ever watching an episode so I had enough background thanks to places like 4chan and some of of late 2010 early 2011 internet haunts. I never had the opportunity to test this back then. 

A minute or so in I've pretty much forgotten about gender one way or the other for them all.

Actually, that is a good point. Unless dialog mentions something traditionally feminine, I have found myself entering a 'gender neutral' mindset on occasion.  

• Brohoof 3

Actually, that is a good point. Unless dialog mentions something traditionally feminine, I have found myself entering a 'gender neutral' mindset on occasion.  

I never really thought of it like that. Really, when I'm watching the show I never really think about what gender they are. Yeah, I know what they are & all, but it just never comes to mind. They're just living, breathing characters with flaws like any other.

I feel like an epiphany just hit, haha.

• Brohoof 3

When I started I did not know until right before she was introduced. Based on dialog. But I never mixed her up with being a guy.

Twilight Sparkle: Well, she's not doing a very good job, is she?

• Brohoof 1

I concur with the others. I have not ever confused Rainbow Dash as a male character. Is Rainbow Dash bland, almost always irrelevant, easy to forget, is nothing more than manual labor and overall has little to nothing to contribute to the show? If not, then chances are, the character you are seeing isn't male.

• Brohoof 2

It took me a long time to not say "he" when talking about RD. I never really thought that RD was a male, it just that I did not I did not associate RD with a any gender really. sine the ponys don't "really" have male or female parts anatomy wise and I think that the male shape look a bit on the feminine side. to me RD (and some other like vinyl, DD, Scottaloo ext.) did not scream FEMALE most of the time and so I did not associate any gender to them and my brain would just put the word "he" when talking about them (even thought I did not think they were male pe-say). kind of like when you see a dog or cat that you do not know there gender. it does not really matter since there a different species so there is really not a "need" to know there gender so it becomes really not important to me.

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 1

I concur with the others. I have not ever confused Rainbow Dash as a male character. Is Rainbow Dash bland, almost always irrelevant, easy to forget, is nothing more than manual labor and overall has little to nothing to contribute to the show? If not, then chances are, the character you are seeing isn't male.

Spike would beg to differ, but I see your point :lol:

Not having developed male characters doesn't bother me, but I would certainly welcome one to the main cast (aside from Spike)