The Which Feudal Japanses Weapon would you use

swordsman

19 users have voted

1. 1. The ancient samurai weilded several weapons on the field of battle aside from the legendary katana. Which one would you have used?

• You use the yumi or bow and arrow, the original weapon of the samurai. you like to stay back and rain death on your opponent from a distance. Not the most honorable weapon, but it gets the job done
    • You weild the naginata. Essentially a katana at the end of a long stick. This weapon was used on horse back and would keep the enemy at a distnace. You get your hands dirty with this but still put your self at a safe distance.
    • Katana. This is the ultimate cutting instrument. Sharp and flexible you close the distance and face you opponent man to man, blade to blade. Honor is of the upmost importance when weilding this awsome weapon.
    • kanabo . you like to smash some brains
    • kusarigama .
    • short swords/blade. I am not a fighter really

I would wield a legendary Nodachi sword.

Its essentially a variant of the katana that has an extremely long length.

au7m2r2.jpg

Heres kamina showing its good use.

• Brohoof 2

I would wield a legendary Nodachi sword.Its essentially a variant of the katana that has an extremely long length.

that mean ōdachi or field sword. I have one of those it called the  cheness cutlery O-Katana.  There ok but they take lots of skill to use one and if someone geat close to you can lose your head. Nodachi for the most part are just katana's with longer handles for use on horse back and for showing how.

Naginata. Could be considered a polearm. Essentially, in a melee showdown, it's reach and thrust are a powerful advantage, and since i'm a tall person i could especially make good use of those perks to brush close-range attacks off.

Naginata can be used to batter, stab or hook an opponent',[16] but due to their relatively balanced center of mass, are often spun and turned to proscribe a large radius of reach. The curved blade makes for an effective tool for cutting due to the increased length of cutting surface.

Naginatas were often used by foot soldiers to create space on the battlefield. They have several situational advantages over a sword. Their reach was longer, allowing the wielder to keep out of reach of his opponent. The long shaft offered it more leverage in comparison to the hilt of the katana, enabling the naginata to cut more efficiently. The weight of the weapon gave power to strikes and cuts, even though the weight of the weapon is usually thought of as a disadvantage. The weight at the end of the shaft and the shaft itself can be used both offensively and defensively. Swords, on the other hand, can be used to attack faster, have longer cutting edges (and therefore more striking surface and less area to grab), and were able to be more precisely controlled in the hands of an experienced swordsman.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would pick a Katana ( what can I say, I'm a swashbuckler at heart :smug: ) but I would likely use a Wakizashi in my left hand. If I remember right, that was Miyamoto Musashi's advice when on the battlefield.

Id pick the yumi. What can I say, maximizing survival chances by being more stealthy and utilizing range.

Though I must say, the kanabo would be pretty awesome if I wasn't such a coward. It's exactly the type of weapon I like slinging about in a lot of fighting games :P

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to go for something big, like an Odachi. I mean sure it's supposed to be a cavalry sword, but who says I can't just walk it into battle? A guy like me could properly fuck some shit up with a sword that size. Just think of the power coming from a five foot blade with the full force of a human wall behind it. 

I would pick a Katana ( what can I say, I'm a swashbuckler at heart ) but I would likely use a Wakizashi in my left hand. If I remember right, that was Miyamoto Musashi's advice when on the battlefield.

that a daishō most swordsman carry like that.

The concept of the daisho originated with the pairing of a short sword with whatever long sword was being worn during a particular time period. It has been noted that the tachi would be paired with a tantō, and later the uchigatana would be paired with another shorter uchigatana. With the advent of the katana, the wakizashi eventually was chosen by samurai as the short sword over the tantō. Kanzan Satō in his book titled "The Japanese Sword" notes that there did not seem to be any particular need for the wakizashi and suggests that the wakizashi may have become more popular than the tantō due to the wakizashi being more suited for indoor fighting. He mentions the custom of leaving the katana at the door of a castle or palace when entering while continuing to wear the wakizashi inside.[8]

According to most traditional kenjutsu schools, only one sword of the daisho would have been used in combat. However, in the first half of the 17th century, the famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi promoted the use of a one-handed grip, which allowed both swords to be used simultaneously. This technique, called nitōken, is a main element of the Niten Ichi-ryū style of swordsmanship that Musashi founded.[9]

Also the reason i left guns off of here is becuase tell we got to cartridge-based system of ammo and loading  in the early-to-mid 19th century the bow was still as go as a Flintlock or percussion cap rifles. also those ealy guns would fail on you a lot so swords and bows were still very good weapons to carry and use.

• Brohoof 1