Do you like or Hate Skylanders?  

27 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like or Hate Skylanders?

• Love it!
    • Like it!
    • Dislike it!
    • Hate it!
    • Loathe it!

Basically this is a poll to show how many people on average like or hate skylanders, now before you make your choice let me tell you of mine. Yes, Narcissistic me.

I personally hate skylanders for many reasons tied into two characters. Cynder and Spyro. I love them both in their original games, but here.... no...

For those of you who don't know, Spyro is a purple dragon from 2 video game series. 1st was just regular Spyro the Dragon and 2nd was The Legend of Spyro series. Now I've been with Spyro through both series growing up. (The first game came out in like 2000.) I've grown up with this purple dragon and he has been somewhat of a childhood hero. I could make a long and sappy paragraph, but Im going to keep this short and to the point.

Now just slightly off topic, but still relating to it. Imagine your favorite MLP Character, got it? Now imagine that character being beaten with a baseball bat, ran over by a lawnmower, and horribly disfigured in about a 100 different ways to make them look like a gremlin of their former self that looks like it wants to be put out of its misery. Now imagine that they are given their own show with their name in the title (They are still that disfigured creature) however, at most they are a background character that doesn't really have anything to do with the plot except for the odd cameo.

Thats basically what happened to Spyro. I've given my stance that I hate the skylanders series with a passion. But feel free to share your opinions, by pony law I will love and tolerate them.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind it and I used to play it, and my only real complaint is that Spyro's new design is kinda ugly but other than that it's a fun game. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Skylanders. On one hand, I hate how it pretty much killed the Spyro franchise. On the other, it somehow reminds me of older novelties of the 90's, and it the idea itself is interesting(and I like it along with Disney Infinity and Amiibos)

I haven't played Skylanders, so my opinion may be a little biased. But I have played most of the Spyro games, so I suppose I can give my opinion.

I have mixed feelings for Skylanders overall. The gameplay is unique, as well as the novelties, albiet a little... toyetic, for a lack of a better word. I too am a little disappointed that Spyro is now not the main focus, but hey, at least there's more characters to experiment with. Even if I don't play Spyro as much, I still accept what happened to it today instead of not letting go of my childhood memories.

Honestly. I used to hate it. I used to be the 'they killed Spyro and made him ugly!!!1111'. But seriously guys. SERIOUSLY. It's not like they've never changed his design before.

Oh wait. They have

post-26413-0-62837700-1420263243_thumb.jpg

Hell there's even some very very subtle changes to his design in the orignal trilogy too. Too subtle to bother trying to point out though.

And even the legend ones had equally subtle changes.

So I find complaining about the design petty as hell.

Do I like it? Not really. But I'm not whining about it.

The gameplay?

I find it silly but I can see why kids might like it.

The character designs aren't too terrible. Some look pretty cool actually.

Have I played it?

No. It doesn't really appeal to me.

Do I think it killed the franchise?

Not really. It's just reaching for a different sort of audience. And it's of its own universe. Which means it's a totally different Spyro all together. It's a strange approach yes and I can understand the hatred but I don't see why it has to be such a huge deal. So they changed the gameplay mechanics and designs. So what.

It's a separate universe for a different audience.

Since the legend games didn't sell well I suppose they thought the same ol thing wouldn't work out for the guy so they tried something new. And despite the hatered by overly nostalgic goggle wearing fans it's selling really well. It's gotten a few games and countless characters coming out.

It's here to stay whether you like it or not. So get over it.

I only played Skylanders once and that was when I was babysitting :) I can't really say I love or hate this based on that one time, but I will say the concept is quite interesting ^_^ Actually using figurines to control what character you play as is pretty neat :lol: Pretty limited if you don't have many characters...but neat :P

And as for the Spyro discussion going on here, I haven't really played any Spyro games so I wouldn't know what to say about that :( He is really cute though :lol:

I've never played it, so I'm indifferent to it. I'll admit the idea itself (combine video games with collectable toys) is an inventive one and apparently financially successful because so many people are trying to cash in on the Skylanders craze with things like Disney Infinity or the WiiU Amiibos.

Edited by PoisonClaw

Yeah, his redesign is butt-ugly, but the marketing techniques are what really get me.

First you have the games. I think there's 4 of em. And the thingy that scans your figures. And the figures themselves. That's expensive. And combined with the gotta-catch-em-all philosophy of pokemon makes it SUCK UP YOUR MONEY.* And, it's yearly release, making the thing even more money-sucking. So, yeah. Screw you, activision.

If they took out Spyro, I'd still hate it. But less. I mean, his name probably got the series afloat in the first place.

(It doesn't require all of them to experience, but I think it's common to get ~3 characters. Trying out your friend's characters is encouraged, so they aren't the antichrist or anything.)

Edited by Sheo G. Orath

I'd say I'm neutral towards it. I've never played Skylanders, but I watched some gameplay videos of the "Swap Force" one and I thought it was pretty neat. I haven't bought it though since it's really expensive. Sure you could just get the starter pack (which costs enough as it is), but since you can only access certain parts of the game with certain figures, that just makes you spend more money.

I've never played Spyro either so I can't contribute to that part of the discussion.

Spyro's new design makes him look ugly and idiotic.

He isn't supposed to be that.

He also isn't supposed to be used as the ultimate marketing cash cow for a lame franchise that will claim a collection of "One Bad Pun, one of six gimmicks, and one generic design typically based off that bad-pun name" is a character that can be sold individually... and eventually swallow up him, Cinder, and everything anyone ever liked about the Spyro series until there is no Spyro, he's barely a background character, and there is only Skylanders.

• Brohoof 1

I have no strong opinion about Skylander's. I played the first one a bit, and when I was tired of it, I sent it to my brother for my niece and nephew.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It killed some time when I was tired of other games, I suppose.

Also, poll needs an "other" or "N/A" option. :derp:

Having only an outside view on it because I haven't played it, I dislike the design for Spyro. Pretty much exactly what Asquerade said above me.

I only played and bought Skylanders cos of Spyro, I used to enjoyed and loved it abit. But when It come to final chapter, it got diffcult to me and other characters I only got start losing lives, so I give up. Only got fist one, but after give up on it, I start disliking it, I just like Spyro. I have hate on company for what they done to Spyro and even cancel it's Legend of Spyro movie.

I was addcuited to Spyro games and Spyro along with Sparx (His dragonfly friend) was my favorite Video game character and still is. Year of the Dragon (Spyro 3) and Legend of Spyro series was my favorite. But not fun on Spyro Hero's tail, cos Spyro act like dumb and talk dumb. Still hope there might be a Spyro game but not sure that will happen.

I wish there was an option to put "I feel indifferent" because that's how I feel. I guess I more dislike it because of the stupid characters. They really don't interest me at all. And the fact that the game sucks away your money with all the figures you have to buy and shit.

Indifferent, my youngest brother used to love the series because Spyro was in it and I tried it out, but I couldn't really get into it.

I see the appeal though, and I thought it was awesome that they had Richard Steven Horvitz from Invader Zim as the voice of Kaos.

There's just so many copycats around that it killed my interest in it.

Having only an outside view on it because I haven't played it, I dislike the design for Spyro. Pretty much exactly what Asquerade said above me.

That sig always makes me laugh.

• Brohoof 1

It's a cool concept, I guess...

I personally don't play it but my friends brought copies and they didn't like how Spyro was pushed to the side.

Even on the box...

post-31473-0-61132100-1420415130_thumb.png

I never cared much for Spyro to begin with, so I'm nowhere near as deeply affected by the design change. xD  And I don't feel strongly one way or the other about Skylanders.  I've considered buying one of the games, but it seems like quite the investment, what with all of the figures and content to unlock.